• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Also, remember that this is a match-3 game at heart - if you hate them (some people do), Puzzle Quest won't change that.

It actually can, I knew quite a few such occurrences. It's really a great game and it's hybrid of match3 and RPG, so there is that. ;)

Are there any news on the PopCap Humble Weekly? I'm still waiting for it

Btw I tried puzzle quest a bit, very nice game, too bad that it doesn't support 1360x768 resolution :(

Same. Then Carmageddon 2 came out and it was such a resource hungry game, my Pentium 2 couldn't keep up. I didn't get to play it until I bought my own P4 system.

My laptops spare HDMI port depends on it! Then building my HTPC.

On balance, if you're reading this Gabe, Hasney clearly has the superior need for streaming. Thanks & smooches in advance.

Don't worry, I'll answer all you questions once I got in before you. <3

Arthea

Are there any news on the PopCap Humble Weekly? I'm still waiting for it

Btw I tried puzzle quest a bit, very nice game, too bad that it doesn't support 1360x768 resolution :(

I begin to think that PopCap HB was just a rumour. I want it too.

I think I've seen solution to this problem somewhere, but as it was long time ago, I can't remember. google it, you might find it.

I think I've seen solution to this problem somewhere, but as it was long time ago, I can't remember. google it, you might find it.

It will come, just like the X bundle came, might take some time though.

I'm not a huge Metal fan or anything...but damn, the MGR OST is incredible. I can't remember the last time a game actually got my heart rate up like this one.

These boss fights guys.....these boss fights

Hasney

I'm not a huge Metal fan or anything...but damn, the MGR OST is incredible. I can't remember the last time a game actually got my heart rate up like this one.

These boss fights guys.....these boss fights

Oh yeah, the music getting progressively more intense as the fight goes on and then...

RULES OF NATURE.

Love that so much it's unreal.

NIN90

nlzdzj.gif

The only "solution" I found was a register edit for Puzzle Quest 2 (but I suppose it works for PQ1 too), the problem is that the resolution supported with this method don't include the 1360x768 (but 1366x768). I'll play 1024x768 with black borders and GG.
I'm starting to notice that 1360x768 it's a very unlucky resolution to deal with

Arthea

The only "solution" I found was a register edit for Puzzle Quest 2 (but I suppose it works for PQ1 too), the problem is that the resolution supported with this method don't include the 1360x768 (but 1366x768). I'll play 1024x768 with black borders and GG.
I'm starting to notice that 1360x768 it's a very unlucky resolution to deal with

my bad, you reminded me that old fix stretched view, so it was a bad thing actually.
I don't think that's unlucky resolution, it's just that PQ was made rather long ago and for so many platforms, that probably they didn't care to look into options for resolutions too much.

Jawmuncher

HD has been in a couple but as far as I'm aware the original hasn't been in any.

Ahh ok got it mixed up then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Played War of the human tanks for all of 2 secs then my laptop crashed......this laptop is garbitch.

my bad, you reminded me that old fix stretched view, so it was a bad thing actually.
I don't think that's unlucky resolution, it's just that PQ was made rather long ago and for so many platforms, that probably they didn't care to look into options for resolutions too much.

the problem is that it's not the only game where it isn't supported xD
For example KOFXIII doesn't support it either. Or the HD patch they made for Stronghold Crusader doesn't include it too.

I have a technical question, maybe someone can answer.
I have a tv-monitor connected via HDMI cable to my GPU. It supports full HD resolution (1920x1080), the only problem is that apparently the native resolution is 1360x768, if I choose the 1920x1080 it looks very small and it doesn't fit the entire screen. Why does it support it if I can't see it right? Is there a method where I can use the 1920x1080 resolution and see it right?
I didn't tried connecting a PS3 to see how it looks, but I suppose it should look ok

Fox318

WeaselJCD claimed your Hydrophobia Prophecy key. There were 16 entrants.
trailmix16 claimed your The Ship Complete Pack key. There were 27 entrants.
Catshade claimed your Pacific Storm Allies key. There were 11 entrants.
Vandrar claimed your Shattered Horizon key. There were 35 entrants.
MarcoZombieCannon claimed your Men of War key. There were 11 entrants.
crimsonheadGCN claimed your Dino D-Day key. There were 19 entrants.
webrunner claimed your Bad Rats key. There were 18 entrants.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Played War of the human tanks for all of 2 secs then my laptop crashed......this laptop is garbitch.

My current laptop is a piece of crap but it'll find its true calling when I can fiddle around with Steam's in-home streaming feature.

Arthea

I really think I'm just the biggest Scrooge when it comes to MGR.
I liked it but no where near the as much as the rest of GAF.

I'm with you too, I was so not impressed with it on PS3, that haven't even bought it on steam, I will some day, but I'm not exactly eager.
Then again, I'm not into MGS in general, but even disregarding that, MGR wasn't a game I expected it to be.

It's a mad mad world!

Jawmuncher

WeaselJCD claimed your Hydrophobia Prophecy key. There were 16 entrants.
trailmix16 claimed your The Ship Complete Pack key. There were 27 entrants.
Catshade claimed your Pacific Storm Allies key. There were 11 entrants.
Vandrar claimed your Shattered Horizon key. There were 35 entrants.
MarcoZombieCannon claimed your Men of War key. There were 11 entrants.
crimsonheadGCN claimed your Dino D-Day key. There were 19 entrants.

Everyone wants to be part of SteamGAF Elite

My current laptop is a piece of crap but it'll find its true calling when I can fiddle around with Steam's in-home streaming feature.

Definitely something I need to keep in mind for this thing.

Copons

Holy shit I finally ordered all the parts that someday I will join together and I will call it "my gaming rig".

Basically, this is one of the dumbest stuff I've ever done (and my god if I've done plenty of dumbness) because it's not like I'm the richest guy on earth... actually I'm very far from there.
Also, I'm always planning (and putting off) to get the hell out of Italy (
damn you Britons and your idiot laws that is making SO difficult to bring my cat there with me
, so a mid-tower won't exactly ease my moving. :D

Anyway, this is my biggest expense since I live on my own and it comes after 3 years of belt-tightening, in a household that currently earns 0€ per month, with my girlfriend unemployed and me, that as soon as I'll deliver my last couple of works, I'm gonna ditch my own company, the one I've created and spat blood for for almost 5 years to get nothing at all, to finally be free again to do whatever I want to do without being constantly butt-kicked by my fucking idiot clients (as it turned out, I prefer to be butt-kicked by bosses instead).

And well, yeah. Sorry for venting, but I'm in that precise moment where you're on the crumbling edge between "dark souls downsampled gonna be the best thing ever" and "omg I made the worst thing possible, I'll die starving and alone". :D

Acccent

And well, yeah. Sorry for venting, but I'm in that precise moment where you're on the crumbling edge between "dark souls downsampled gonna be the best thing ever" and "omg I made the worst thing possible, I'll die starving and alone". :D

oh my. hang in there copons.

Jawmuncher

I love MGS for the... you know, actual sneak-em-upness.
Jack on the other hand is the worst ninja ever since he became cyborged.

I don't mind MGS going for more action but I kinda wish that story wise it would have reflected a bit more to previous MGS games while keeping the battles over the top.
Aside from that the parry mechanic is kinda meh.. Should have just went with something similar to ninja Gaiden black.

Holy shit I finally ordered all the parts that someday I will join together and I will call it "my gaming rig".

Basically, this is one of the dumbest stuff I've ever done (and my god if I've done plenty of dumbness) because it's not like I'm the richest guy on earth... actually I'm very far from there.
damn you Britons and your idiot laws that is making SO difficult to bring my cat there with me

Anyway, this is my biggest expense since I live on my own and it comes after 3 years of belt-tightening, in a household that currently earns 0€ per month, with my girlfriend unemployed and me, that as soon as I'll deliver my last couple of works, I'm gonna ditch my own company, the one I've created and spat blood for for almost 5 years to get nothing at all, to finally be free again to do whatever I want to do without being constantly butt-kicked by my fucking idiot clients (as it turned out, I prefer to be butt-kicked by bosses instead).

Trust me, I was in a similar situation in mid-2013. My car needed an immense amount of work and my computer CPU stopped working (meaning I basically had to build a new computer). It was a very sticky situation but all my debt has finally been paid off, I got promoted and I have tripled my Steam game count in less than a year.

What's done is done. Just look ahead and plan accordingly. It seems like you have a gameplan. Just be happy you got the big expense out of the way early and can just focus on moving forward now.

Turfster

I don't mind MGS going for more action but I kinda wish that story wise it would have reflected a bit more to previous MGS games while keeping the battles over the top.
Aside from that the parry mechanic is kinda meh.. Should have just went with something similar to ninja Gaiden black.
Yes, the parry mechanic is... not for me.
Add to that the Wallologist camera that is incredibly interested in brick work, and it becomes a chore to play the game. Chores aren't fun.

Dr Dogg

When the inevitable bad Rats 2: Back with a Revengance comes out it surely will be a shoe in for SteamGAF GOTY.

You think our immigration laws and customs checks are bad you should try Australia. If you so much as try to smuggle a packet of biscuits into the country you'll be tried with treason.

Saying that the 3 months I spent in Siena were probably the most memorable I've had in a foreign country. Both good and bad hahahaha.

JakeD

does gifting away the steam key from a humble bundle remove the DRM free download from your library? i wanna modbot these, but the whole reason i bought them was for the DRM free copies so just making sure.

Arthea

Add to that the Wallologist camera that is incredibly interested in brick work, and it becomes a chore to play the game. Chores aren't fun.

I'm with Jawmuncher on this one, don't know why I excpected it to be NG where you can cut everything in pieces and I mean everything and in the way you choose. It was not, and gosh do I hate QTEs, in any way, especially in action games and even more (if that is possible) in boss fights.

JaseC

does gifting away the steam key from a humble bundle remove the DRM free download from your library? i wanna modbot these, but the whole reason i bought them was for the DRM free copies so just making sure.

They're completely separate.

JakeD

They're completely separate.

that's what i thought..thanks -

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-9BBE048084F1650F - Taken by Divius
To the Moon -- MB-8436028E2DF17C66 - Taken by fspm
Reus -- MB-26BFB8484430BD05 - Taken by Pakkidis
Papo and Yo -- MB-6EC8FD9202DDBB5F - Taken by The_Monk
HOARD -- MB-106D9AF5D4E0F7E9 - Taken by fantomena
Runner2 -- MB-BF23587B550CCE39 - Taken by kurahador

Pakkidis

Question

I have a terrible connection at home. Is it possible to put steam on a usb stick download the game from the library and then transfer the game to my hd when I get home?

From what I read, I simply copy steam.exe and the steamapps folder to the usb and that should be it?

Cth

And weird hippos.

Edit: The Next Car Game DDE just dropped in price from $50 to $35. Time to jump in.

Debating on getting it as I found it for $18/$22.. just not sure if my laptop can run it.

I miss having a good demolition derby game. (or for that matter something like Interstate 76)

Does it have gamepad support at this point?

Question

I have a terrible connection at home. Is it possible to put steam on a usb stick download the game from the library and then transfer the game to my hd when I get home?

From what I read, I simply copy steam.exe and the steamapps folder to the usb and that should be it?

I did that all the time at work. :p
I did it because I have a bandwidth cap at home though.

Divius

Question

I think so. I've had a friend come over and copy big gamefiles.

Divius

that's what i thought..thanks -
Wooohoooooo I won Surgeon Sim. Thanks so much. I must have entered a dozen giveaways, now finally I've got one!

Time to see if I missed my calling as a surgeon for I have heard this game is hyper realistic.

fuck the camera with a passion. I've just assumed it's drunk half the time. Locking on helps fix some of the problems, but it has a knack for just moving on it's own...and that pisses me off

Copons

oh my. hang in there copons.

I will.
I mean, I already paid for it, so it's not like I can do differently. :D

Trust me, I was in a similar situation in mid-2013. My car needed an immense amount of work and my computer CPU stopped working (meaning I basically had to build a new computer). It was a very sticky situation but all my debt has finally been paid off, I got promoted and I have tripled my Steam game count in less than a year.

What's done is done. Just look ahead and plan accordingly. It seems like you have a gameplan. Just be happy you got the big expense out of the way early and can just focus on moving forward now.

I'm hoping something like that, mainly career-wise more than money-wise, as I feel my skills are being spoiled from lots of dumb ass not-funny not-interesting not-everything works I'm doing just to pay bills and to keep my company afloat.
I really want to get back doing what I love. Will a powerful gaming rig help me accomplishing that, is the main question tho. :D

You think our immigration laws and customs checks are bad you should try Australia. If you so much as try to smuggle a packet of biscuits into the country you'll be tried with treason.

Saying that the 3 months I spent in Siena were probably the most memorable I've had in a foreign country. Both good and bad hahahaha.

As much as I'd like to see my dumb cat engaging a deadly fight against one of those giant killer spiders they have over there, I don't think I'll be able to stand that stuff. :D

Anyway, at least your pet immigration laws are better now than some time ago, as you finally ditched the super long super expensive super useless quarantine. I mean, I probably carry more deadly diseases on my self than my cat on hers. :D

Well, the main problem will be the crazy 3 days car journey I'll have to do from Rome to London with a constantly meowing cat aboard.
But I'm probably solving that putting my new shiny GTX in the carrier for her to play with. :D

JaseC

Debating on getting it as I found it for $18/$22.. just not sure if my laptop can run it.

I miss having a good demolition derby game. (or for that matter something like Interstate 76)

Does it have gamepad support at this point?

It does but as per ricochetguro's post earlier you may have to mouse over one of the menu buttons before the game detects it properly.

Joe Molotov

Nice bundle from Indie Gala this week, even before the secret games are revealed. A bunch of recently released games that are semi-interesting, but not interesting enough that I'd actually pay close to full price for. The perfect storm.

nexen

fuck the camera with a passion. I've just assumed it's drunk half the time. Locking on helps fix some of the problems, but it has a knack for just moving on it's own...and that pisses me off

Lock on barely works to reign in the stupid camera. Weirdest lock on ever.

JakeD

Wooohoooooo I won Surgeon Sim. Thanks so much. I must have entered a dozen giveaways, now finally I've got one!

Time to see if I missed my calling as a surgeon for I have heard this game is hyper realistic.

haha no problem! i've had bad luck with the raffles as well. i prefer the non-raffles because they reward us habitual F5ers

HoosTrax

Are they really planning on keeping "Next Car Game" as the game's title?

I'm curious what they mean by "in-depth vehicle upgrading". Like Need For Speed levels of customizaton? Or just basic performance, non-cosmetic upgrades like in Flatout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom