• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too knowledgeable about stuff like MGR/NG/DMC/Bayo character action mechanics but in Darksiders 2:

-dodge only except with a certain secondary where you can block
-secondary weapon is your alternate attack, so combos begin to vary, could range from giant fuckoff hammers (heavy slow attacks with a bigger range) to small claw weapons (smaller fast close range weapons) - this is where loot comes in
-some juggling is involved, more aerial moves than MGR but not as crazy as most other games
-the demon hand ala Nero in DMC4 also exists for you to unbalance enemies or drag you right up to bosses
-there are some different mechanics for secondaries that involve you holding the Y/secondary attack button - used for timing bigger hits, etc or special-er moves
-IIRC the guy in charge of the combat mechanics either took a lot of cues from other games or has worked on them previously, which is why they feel very robust.
-there is a 100 wave gauntlet in the game you can just combat with, which is nice and probably the only good redeeming feature about it.

It's probably not as intricate or as ridiculously mechanical as other similar games but probably at least on par with MGR (if MGR is at the bottom mechanically robust as some might consider it) but it is very strong and well thought out. Darksiders 1 on the other hand was more God of War-ish I think (tbh I never played GoW either) and not really concerned with stylish moves or anything.

Darksiders 2 has a surprisingly decent combat engine -- they really did add depth and expand it from what was in the first one. The first one is sort of like the original DMC in that they give you a couple different weapons, you can make basic combos and do some aerial juggling, but the combat is more like one of the 3D zelda games with a bit of combo action/DMC mixed in.

While 2 is deeper, I wouldn't consider it in the same genre as MGR/DMC/NG/Bayonetta/etc. It's not a stylish action game... it's a 3D adventure game with loot drops and a deep combo system. Darksiders 2 is probably closer to a God of War game in terms of combat... as to whether or not it's better than GoW, that's for the individual player to decide I guess.

Basically, I felt the need to respond because it seems like you're trashing MGR a bit... and that's just wrong. :p

fuck-this-thing-catlrab7.gif

This made me vote for that collateral damage game. But the gif is better. The poster you quoted should thank you. :)

Oh yeah, the music getting progressively more intense as the fight goes on and then...

RULES OF NATURE.

Love that so much it's unreal.

Yeah -- the audio design, particularly for the boss battles, is insanely good. The way that Jamie Christopherson managed to get the music so that it (1) has loopable parts that don't get repetative while you're in a main section of a boss and (2) made it so that they could cut the verses and choruses and stuff to fit the various battle transitions is just unfathomable to me.

I don't think I've ever played another game with such brilliant design in terms of how the soundtrack is applied in game.

fuck the camera with a passion. I've just assumed it's drunk half the time. Locking on helps fix some of the problems, but it has a knack for just moving on it's own...and that pisses me off

It's a little more squirrelly than it was on PS3. I'm not sure why...maybe something that slipped through the porting process. There will be times you're in codec with a story part and the camera just starts spinning. That never happened on PS3 so far as I recall in all of my playtime.

However, I don't find it to be a problem most of the time... occasionally I've had a few instances of rage inducing aggravation though (one of the early VR missions, trying to get gold, and the camera wouldn't move to pan so I could see where the gekko was coming in on wave 3... which makes blocking/parrying almost impossible and was killing my runs on the medal). I should think it would be patchable and hope they do tweak it.

I already have Megabyte Punch. It's okay, but not as fun as Smash Bros. meets Custom Robo could be.

I entered, but I'm glad I didn't win now that you mention Smash Bros. :lol

I'll totally need some help in Dark Souls eventually, so keep it installed my dear Monk and be ready to be summoned anytime. :D

If you need Dark Souls advice -- I played the hell out of that game on PS3, so I should remember/recall most of the tips/tricks/strategies/etc.
However if you're solely interested in summoning help, that I'm not going to be so useful for, as I haven't dove into the PC version yet, but was thinking I would sometime before the end of March... to at least get a single run through the game... I really hope they patch GFWL out of it at some point. Add me if you like ... steam profile is listed
<---- over there, under homepage.

Thanks for the info.
I'm surprised that the 770M can handle BF4 at 1080p, ultra at a decent framerate. I was expecting that if I wanted that kind of performance I'd have to spring for a 780M SLI or wait for the next generation of mobile chips. This might change things ...

Honestly I was too. It defaults to 1080/High.. and I was getting 60+ FPS. So I decided to flip it to the Ultra present and I was getting 45-60 FPS depending on map and what is going. During a ton of explosions, I think I dipped down to 41-42.

And coming from console gaming/crap laptop gaming- it is way more than playable to me and still looks great.

Good luck, have fun :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for EmergentFocus:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- Be a good fellow GAFfer
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hoard -- MB-0E4D7C878C987103 - Taken by kulapik. 6 entrants total.

t1389802040z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning guys. oh nice new indiieroyale (I consider nice when I dont have at least 1 game these days, or 3 in this case), the new groupees bundle is a bit shit tho :(

The_Monk

Eh, impressions on multiplatform games (as long as they aren't about specific platform related problems) are always valid.

Thanks Turfster, If it is okay with you all and you don't mind then here it goes nothing:

I just finished Contrast.

LxQcXuIl.jpg

First of all, I would say it took me about 3 hours, perhaps 4 at the very best. The soundtrack is very nice, check some of the tunes in here specially the first one.

The Story is...odd? And it made me a bit sad but that might be to the dark, depressing setting that takes place in 1920. The game plays like a film noir and makes good use of the Shadows in order to solve the puzzles, granted there are not many of them due the short time of the game.

Contrast is split in 3 Acts and each one can be completed in about 40 minutes but this will depend on how fast you are solving the puzzles. I did 100% on the game, unlocking everything there was to unlock. The end of the Story was very... confusing. You get a "What, that was it...?" feeling but I was already getting that since the very beginning. I guess that the objective was not very compelling from the start and the writing felt a bit amateur, in all honest.

Get it if the setting is to your liking and the price drops to a more decent sweet spot. The currently price is too much if you ask me. Best thing from this game to me was, as mentioned, the soundtrack, it reminded me a lot of the intro scene from another game: Saboteur.

PS: Ignore any poor grammar errors, my English is a bit slow today.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
New IndieRoyale bundle

PixelJunk Shooter - Steam
Gun Monkeys - Steam
Megabyte Punch - Steam? It's available in Steam, but there is no Steam key
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

And that concludes my quest to have all PixelJunk games in Steam

Nice! Best IndieRoyale in months. PixelJunk Shooter is a really fun game and I've had a mild interest in Gun Monkeys and Megabyte Punch for a while now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
leftovers, have at it

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-9612C922C6C9D966 - Taken by Saty. 11 entrants total.
Stronghold HD -- MB-E416A97C11BA7994 - Taken by afternoon delight. 9 entrants total.

t1389802400z1.png

derExperte

Contrast doesn't do enough with the shadow-mechanic, only very few interesting puzzles, mostly it's just a bit of jnr in 2D. And the controls (on PS4) felt too jumpy. Also many bugs, invisible walls and other stuff that gave me the impression the game was rushed.

The_Monk

I'll totally need some help in Dark Souls eventually, so keep it installed my dear Monk and be ready to be summoned anytime. :D

I'll stop leveling so you don't have too much to catch up and I'll do everything I can do help you even if I'm really bad at the game. And oh my, I am bad in this game. Just ask fellow GAFfer Divius who helped me couple of days ago, thank god he is kind and patient because I end up dying a couple of time due to my poor skills and weak armor/weapons (I haven't upgraded them a lot, to be honest). Anything else let me know good sir, always a pleasure to help some good people. ;)

Contrast doesn't do enough with the shadwo-mechanic, only very few interesting puzzles, mostly it's just a bit of jnr in 2D. And the controls (on PS4) felt too jumpy. Also many bugs, invisible walls and other stuff that gives the impression the game was rushed.

There aren't many puzzles to play in a creative way because the game itself is rather short, I'm afraid. The controls were a bit bad, I agree but I do not know if it's platform specific or not. Regarding the bugs I am aware that some people had them but I found none.

Volimar

Do I have to be steam level 10 to get a booster pack?

Also, does F.E.A.R. not have xbox controller support or am I completely clueless?
or both?

I got a new gaming laptop and can run BF4 at 1080p Ultra. And DayZ (SA and Mod) look amazing. This all happened yesterday.

I am now enjoying work today knowing I have something to look forward to when I get home (after the wife and kid go to bed of course) instead of staring at a 1366x768 everything Very Low machine. :)

Do it. Life is better.

You hit the nail on the head.

rtcn63

Also, does F.E.A.R. not have xbox controller support or am I completely clueless?
or both?

You can bind keys, but controller support isn't native, nor is the setup optimal. (I prefer to play controller if possible, but decide to play most of the game with kb/m)

Kiru

or both?
Don't think so

"How can I get a booster pack?
Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack, which is a set of 3 trading cards that may include both basic and foil cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

Once eligible, your Steam Level increases your rate of receiving a booster pack drop:
Level 10: +20% increase in your drop rate
Level 20: +40% increase in your drop rate
Level 30: +60% increase in your drop rate
Level 40: +80% increase in your drop rate
Level 50: +100% increase in your drop rate (i.e. the rate has doubled)
Etc."

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This week's bundles have all been really good! I'm surprised to see so many Steam games in an Indie Royale, excellent stuff. Nothing for me in the latest Groupees, since I already have all of the Steam games and nothing else there is on Greenlight.

Also got a really nice email this morning from a fan that will definitely keep me smiling all day. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yaye. Thanks for Stronghold. Memories :)
Thanks for Shooter, only title I was interested in for this bundle.

No worries. :)

I was gonna take Pixeljunk Shooter but decided to buy the bundle instead (to get my game count to 300) and it seems that Gun Monkey is two copies?

Yeah, the game's had a rough ride. First the base price was dropped dramatically and then gift copies were attached to all new purchases, but despite the dev's best efforts people just don't care enough to play it.

It was actually just updated an hour or two ago and now has menu support for the controller. Although it oddly just centers the mouse cursor over each option as you do so.

Baby steps! ;)

Edit: A War of the Roses novel is a thing ($6.99).

How can I get a booster pack?
Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack, which is a set of 3 trading cards that may include both basic and foil cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

Once eligible, your Steam Level increases your rate of receiving a booster pack drop:
Level 10: +20% increase in your drop rate
Level 20: +40% increase in your drop rate
Level 30: +60% increase in your drop rate
Level 40: +80% increase in your drop rate
Level 50: +100% increase in your drop rate (i.e. the rate has doubled)
Etc.

doesn't look like it...just increases your drop rate. If you check your badge page there should be a 'check booster availability' button.

edit : b10

nexen

Honestly I was too. It defaults to 1080/High.. and I was getting 60+ FPS. So I decided to flip it to the Ultra present and I was getting 45-60 FPS depending on map and what is going. During a ton of explosions, I think I dipped down to 41-42.

And coming from console gaming/crap laptop gaming- it is way more than playable to me and still looks great.

Not sure if BF4 is better optimized than I expected or if 770M is more of an upgrade over my 7970M than I expected. Either way, good to hear. Maybe I'll stick with a laptop for my next machine too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is motbot off ?

I have sent keys to register yesterday and no mail back ?

It should have worked fine. If you did not receive a response, you can forward the PM you sent to ModBot to me (including the original subject line) so I can try to see what happened.

Edit: I see Jase helped you and it was just forgetting the word register. No problem.

denx

So how shit and p2w is Ghost Recon

I guess you mean Ghost Recon Online? It is actually legit good. The different sci-fi gadgets you can get give the game a tactical edge most F2P games don't have. As for the monetization model, I didn't play enough of the game to assess how much "P2W" it was, but from what I remember it was actually rather balanced (I may be wrong tho). It took a while to get unlocks tho, but that may had changed since the last time I played.

Hasney

Clearing out ye olde bundle duplicates that I forgot about

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Titan Quest -- MB-4468813BBF02907B - Taken by Kirosia. 2 entrants total.
Humble Indie Bundle #2 -- MB-AF8348E43AAAF965 - Taken by Myshkin. 15 entrants total.
Anomoly Korea -- MB-EDBD8B0EAF9D7860 - Taken by nexen. 9 entrants total.
McPixel -- MB-B9443139B79424A1 - Taken by Dice. 7 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-CD12814BCFDE8506 - Taken by PorkWing. 3 entrants total.
C&C Red Alert 3: Uprising -- MB-453B4C54ACF7288D - Taken by Man Puncher. 1 entrants total.
Cortex Command -- MB-FCAE5CEF363CA372 - Taken by trailmix16. 3 entrants total.
Super Meat Boy, Lone Survivor & Braid -- MB-BB1CD8358BF9BB6B - Taken by Natty1. 16 entrants total.
Nightsky -- MB-16277B2AEEAF9AD0 - Taken by confuziz. 3 entrants total.
Waking Mars -- MB-4047AA849B335A17 - Taken by Pakkidis. 6 entrants total.

t1389813381z1.png

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Hexcells is already Greenlit, but not on Steam.
Huh, didn't realize this. I probably should have been paying more attention.

I hope Matt Brown is combining it with Hexcells Plus for the Steam release because the base game is far too easy. If you cut the original in half (maybe more) then tacked Plus and maybe some even more devious stuff onto the end you'd have a single solid puzzle game.

JakeD

it may make me sound like a cheapskate, but i think i'm going to start embracing the Trade thread for some of these bundle games. all the $4 and $5 bundles add up quick, especially when i really only want a couple games and the rest are duplicates.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gravity Badgers is terrible. It is obviously a mobile game that was ported over to Steam in a real hurry.

I hate it when that happens. I played Iesabel a few nights ago and it was the same way, unfortunately. Games like that give ports like Kingdom Rush a bad rap. That game has a few issues from porting over, but it's really well polished and well done. I mean, I guess it started out as a flash game initially so maybe it's not a valid comparison.

im pretty sure it was also bad before angry birds too.

Dude. Battletoads? Star Fox? Need I go on?

random

Eh thank you!
But it's not really the courage here, but more some kind of anxious desperation, the one you start getting on the verge of your 30th birthday, when you notice you basically wasted the better part of your life chasing a dream you were never able to get (for whatever reason, including lack of stubborness). And you're there with no money and, worse, not enough stability to settle down for real.
We Italians have a dumb mindset, we aim for a random job as long as it give us a steady income, even small, who cares. We're not used to swap jobs everytime we blink. I'm not used to it, at least. I'm way too anxious for something like that.

...well, I kinda lost my point, but I meant to say that I'm beyond courage here, I need the change because I cannot stand anymore my job as it is at the moment.

Also, I always found extremely hard to operate an FM radio. I mean, I'm supposed to remember all the stations numbers? What am I, a machine?

Well, It's a big step. I'm just hoping that you will be able to enjoy the choices you get, now that you have put this, probably very difficult one, behind you.

I usually don't get involved into more personal stuff, but what you were describing hit me close to home. And I guess you being one of the more active members of this nice community (I am in no way implying that Steam-Gaf should go to community!), was part of what made me care.

Sigh. OK.
Exactly my reaction.

To not be completely OT, I was meaning to give away a couple of spare keys, but I spent too much time making my sentences as convoluted as I possibly could, so I have to postpone that now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait, I have McPixel? I swear I gave it away to someone! How do I have it?

Oh well I will regift if I win that one.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lets see if this works now. Copy #2 donated by spindoctor. Just add me on steam if it comes up redeemed.
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

header_292x136.jpg

Gun Monkeys #2 -- MB-E759C5BEEEF853E9 - Taken by wetflame
Gun Monkeys #1 -- MB-EF4D2B19F2E7AA6E - Taken by Hasney

Backlogger

it may make me sound like a cheapskate, but i think i'm going to start embracing the Trade thread for some of these bundle games. all the $4 and $5 bundles add up quick, especially when i really only want a couple games and the rest are duplicates.

I go back and forth on this same issue. Right now I am being more picky about this bundles because I spent so much during December and the first week of January. So unless I REALLY want a game in the bundle I've been passing on them (even though I can buy 2-3 bundles right now that would push my game count over 600)

nexen

<Random word> <Animal name> is always a terrible game since Angry Birds came out.

I ... I didn't realize it was trying to capitalize off of Angry Birds. Can't believe I missed that.

I hate it when that happens. I played Iesabel a few nights ago and it was the same way, unfortunately. Games like that give ports like Kingdom Rush a bad rap. That game has a few issues from porting over, but it's really well polished and well done. I mean, I guess it started out as a flash game initially so maybe it's not a valid comparison.
There are plenty of mobile games that were ported to steam that are just fine. Super Hexagon rapidly comes to mind.
I guess it isn't the rush port that bothers me, it is the lazy, no-frills presentation and game design. It's just a cheap game that was thrown together super fast, regardless of platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom