• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping something like that, mainly career-wise more than money-wise, as I feel my skills are being spoiled from lots of dumb ass not-funny not-interesting not-everything works I'm doing just to pay bills and to keep my company afloat.
I really want to get back doing what I love. Will a powerful gaming rig help me accomplishing that, is the main question tho. :D

You'd be surprised what a power gaming rig can accomplish. ;)

Deques

New IndieRoyale bundle

PixelJunk Shooter - Steam
Gun Monkeys - Steam
Megabyte Punch - Steam? It's available in Steam, but there is no Steam key
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

And that concludes my quest to have all PixelJunk games in Steam

random

... I'm always planning (and putting off) to get the hell out of Italy, (
damn you Britons and your idiot laws that is making SO difficult to bring my cat there with me

Soon there will be nobody able to operate anything more complicated than an FM radio left in Italy...
and props for postponing for the sake of your cat, I'm just visiting my cat (and while I'm at it, my family too)

so a mid-tower won't exactly ease my moving. :D

And this is one of my main concerns when planing to build a gaming rig (besides money and the time and patience it takes to find out what parts to buy and where).

After the latest bundles, I have 399 games in my Steam account, and no system of my own that can play most of them on. I have been postponing building it for a couple of month now.

But the reason I wanted to reply was mainly:
... to finally be free again to do whatever I want to do without being constantly butt-kicked by my fucking idiot clients...

Good luck. After that long, it takes courage to decide that you have invested enough into something. Don't let the what ifs haunt you, and enjoy the relative lack of responsibility as an employee.

derExperte

I'm in a bad mood and hope whoever gets one of these will hate it. Grrrrr.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy #2 -- MB-7C81A7709B1C6BBF - Taken by Camel Master. 6 entrants total.
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy -- MB-E9ED8656D2EA0436 - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 17 entrants total.

t1389809547z1.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
New IndieRoyale bundle

Gun Monkeys - Steam
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

The good thing about this bundle is that I don't have any of these games.

Play Gun Monkeys with me. It's fun game. Also it's possible that it gives you an extra key in the game if there are no players online

The moment I redeemed the game I got a gift copy of it.

New IndieRoyale bundle

Gun Monkeys - Steam
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

Nice, I don't have any of those games.

New IndieRoyale bundle

Gun Monkeys - Steam
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

Huh, Indie Royale is back from irrelevancy. This is their second or third interesting bundle in a couple of months. Who would have thought?

Hexcells is already Greenlit, but not on Steam. I only really want Megabyte Punch, sorta want PixelJunk Shooter and may want Gun Monkeys for the card money, so I guess I'll skip it. If only it were a dollar… :/

nexen

New IndieRoyale bundle

Gun Monkeys - Steam
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

Sigh. OK.

You'd be surprised what a power gaming rig can accomplish. ;)

I got a new gaming laptop and can run BF4 at 1080p Ultra. And DayZ (SA and Mod) look amazing. This all happened yesterday.

I am now enjoying work today knowing I have something to look forward to when I get home (after the wife and kid go to bed of course) instead of staring at a 1366x768 everything Very Low machine. :)

Do it. Life is better.

derExperte

Gun Monkey key gives you another Gun Monkey gift btw.

And the Megabyte Punch key is now available. Good bundle, Shooter is fantastic and a few people in the indie thread (plus RPS) liked Hexcells.

nexen

Only had one I didn't need.

ModBot said:
Instructions for nexen:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Stronghold HD -- MB-55D045C991787147 - Taken by EmergentFocus

HoosTrax

Did they remove the download "remote control" thingy from the website-based Steam page? You know that thing that let you remotely install things onto another computer that has Steam running. I can't find it on my "all games" tab.

Play Gun Monkeys with me. It's fun game. Also it's possible that it gives you an extra key in the game if there are no players online
I think I read an article about that. Sounds pretty neat. But in a way, it made me sad, because it speaks to the difficulty in making a successful indie MP game. I think Showdown Effect was a notable flop. Even Monaco seemed sort-lived.

Copons

Soon there will be nobody able to operate anything more complicated than an FM radio left in Italy...
and props for postponing for the sake of your cat, I'm just visiting my cat (and while I'm at it, my family too)

And this is one of my main concerns when planing to build a gaming rig (besides money and the time and patience it takes to find out what parts to buy and where).

After the latest bundles, I have 399 games in my Steam account, and no system of my own that can play most of them on. I have been postponing building it for a couple of month now.

But the reason I wanted to reply was mainly:

Good luck. After that long, it takes courage to decide that you have invested enough into something. Don't let the what ifs haunt you, and enjoy the relative lack of responsibility as an employee.

Eh thank you!
But it's not really the courage here, but more some kind of anxious desperation, the one you start getting on the verge of your 30th birthday, when you notice you basically wasted the better part of your life chasing a dream you were never able to get (for whatever reason, including lack of stubborness). And you're there with no money and, worse, not enough stability to settle down for real.
We Italians have a dumb mindset, we aim for a random job as long as it give us a steady income, even small, who cares. We're not used to swap jobs everytime we blink. I'm not used to it, at least. I'm way too anxious for something like that.

...well, I kinda lost my point, but I meant to say that I'm beyond courage here, I need the change because I cannot stand anymore my job as it is at the moment.

Also, I always found extremely hard to operate an FM radio. I mean, I'm supposed to remember all the stations numbers? What am I, a machine?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Eh thank you!
But it's not really the courage here, but more some kind of anxious desperation, the one you start getting on the verge of your 30th birthday, when you notice you basically wasted the better part of your life chasing a dream you were never able to get (for whatever reason, including lack of stubborness). And you're there with no money and, worse, not enough stability to settle down for real.

I'm 32 and if I were to update my Resume, "Owner of 1000+ games on Steam" would be the only thing of notice to put there.

...I really should get a job tho

The_Monk

And well, yeah. Sorry for venting, but I'm in that precise moment where you're on the crumbling edge between "dark souls downsampled gonna be the best thing ever" and "omg I made the worst thing possible, I'll die starving and alone". :D

You know who to talk if you ever need anything Copons, stay strong, hang in there. Anything else, please let me (let us) know.

----
On a side note I finished Contrast but since it was not on Steam I'll refrain from posting my usual impressions, however, I can say that for the current price they ask on Steam it's not worth it for more reasons than just the length of the game.

EDIT: And thanks to fellow GAFfer JakeD for Papo and Yo. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Ride em Low -- MB-F5F917A5A972F502 - Taken by PriitV
Megabyte Punch -- MB-113957B321492AC3 - Taken by bronson
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-103CAFC5E0D90F88 - Taken by StAidan
Stronghold HD -- MB-066BFA7A43F84FE1 - Taken by Kiru
Gun Monkeys -- MB-585073D929AF9F73 - Taken by alr1ght

Also, Loren the Amazon Princess has released and is 10% off ($18) for a week.

The Banner Saga is really fun for the most part.

The game has plenty of polish in the graphics (beautiful scenes, characters, and combat animation) and sound (voice acting, sound effects, and music) departments that far outclass most indie games... but it's not consistent.

Dialogue in particular feels mechanically and artistically underdeveloped. Sometimes you're told what the consequences of a dialogue option will be before you choose and sometimes not. Sometimes the list of options are meant to all be explored and other times your first choice is the only choice you get. The rules just aren't clear. I don't know if asking a question for more info will actually be my "final answer" or not. In the "Oregon Trail" vein of permadeath and narrative choice, this could work as a hardcore mechanic. But in TBS, I can just reload my last autosave before the conversation.

The dialogue sections are also where the amazing art design is at its weakest. There are no facial animations (outside of blink-blink-blinking) or poses when you talk to someone. Every character always looks exactly the same. And given some of the heavier topics covered in the story, seeing the same character's smirk every time we talk got old quick.

As far as the main gameplay mechanics go, though, I can't recommend the core experience enough. I've never been big on tactics games, but after this, I think I'll be looking into other games in the genre.

Goddamn I am so hyped for Dark Souls 2.

Played some more Don't Starve yesterday, I am on Day 8 and it's fun... I guess? I think I am missing something (else than just discovering that I can upgrade my backpack!)

Tagyhag

I will always have a soft spot for Stronghold, whoever wins it should remember that its a game meant to be taken slow at first.

What did you buy?

Asus G750JX

The only thing I added to it was I added a SDD for the OS drive, and then formated the 750GB HD it came with as a data drive.

The only thing I am not so happy with is the screen. It is a matte screen that almost has a grain/grid look to it when viewing all white/grey screens (like GAF forum). I don't notice it in game and everything looks amazing. I will probably swap it out for a glossy screen down the road.

New IndieRoyale bundle

Gun Monkeys - Steam
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

I already have Megabyte Punch. It's okay, but not as fun as Smash Bros. meets Custom Robo could be.

Turfster

On a side note I finished Contrast but since it was not on Steam I'll refrain from posting my usual impressions, however, I can say that for the current price they ask on Steam it's not worth it for more reasons than just the length of the game.

Eh, impressions on multiplatform games (as long as they aren't about specific platform related problems) are always valid.

nexen

Asus G750JX

The only thing I added to it was I added a SDD for the OS drive, and then formated the 750GB HD it came with as a data drive.

The only thing I am not so happy with is the screen. It is a matte screen that almost has a grain/grid look to it when viewing all white/grey screens (like GAF forum). I don't notice it in game and everything looks amazing. I will probably swap it out for a glossy screen down the road.
Thanks for the info.
I'm surprised that the 770M can handle BF4 at 1080p, ultra at a decent framerate. I was expecting that if I wanted that kind of performance I'd have to spring for a 780M SLI or wait for the next generation of mobile chips. This might change things ...

Kiru

I was gonna take Pixeljunk Shooter but decided to buy the bundle instead (to get my game count to 300) and it seems that Gun Monkey is two copies?

Yeah I think only a few people played it so they gave out free copies to each current and future owner.

Giving something back :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for PixelHorror:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hoard -- MB-4EEFE720795C87A5 - Taken by angular graphics. 2 entrants total.
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-AD5994B3BBA3A579 - Taken by AsylumX. 7 entrants total.
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-1050A0936DDE1EBF - Taken by 3chopl0x. 7 entrants total.

t1389801544z1.png

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Spares:

thx
GM gave me an extra copy. Passing it along.

ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-C4C3280B11D60281 - Taken by spindoctor. 6 entrants total.

t1389801590z1.png

Copons

You know who to talk if you ever need anything Copons, stay strong, hang in there. Anything else, please let me (let us) know.

I'll totally need some help in Dark Souls eventually, so keep it installed my dear Monk and be ready to be summoned anytime. :D

It does but as per ricochetguro's post earlier you may have to mouse over one of the menu buttons before the game detects it properly.

It was actually just updated an hour or two ago and now has menu support for the controller. Although it oddly just centers the mouse cursor over each option as you do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom