• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
:eek: He lives!

Stump, have you had a chance to look at my PM yet please? [The first question is the only one I really would like an answer to if you don't wish to answer the others]

Yeah I caught your PM. I'm off in console land (New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3d World, Wind Waker HD, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, The Last of Us all over the last 8-10 days) and busy IRL so I haven't gotten a chance to log into the ModBot server and get the data you want. I haven't forgot about you. I'll try to do it this evening.

nexen

Between these indie bundles and the insane PS Vita sale going on in the playstation store, January is going to be expensive.

Yeah I caught your PM. I'm off in console land (New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3d World, Wind Waker HD, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, The Last of Us all over the last 8-10 days) and busy IRL so I haven't gotten a chance to log into the ModBot server and get the data you want. I haven't forgot about you. I'll try to do it this evening.

I assumed as much so have been loathe to give you a prod :).

Thanks, no rush, as long as I know you will get to it when it's convenient that's good enough for me :).

That is a concentrated dose of gaming goodness there sir! :eek:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve Dev Days started this morning and I'm not going to lie, I'd rather be there now than where I am currently.

I've seen pictures of the swag bags they're handing out, and I have to admit I'm jealous.

derExperte

Between these indie bundles and the insane PS Vita sale going on in the playstation store, January is going to be expensive.

The good thing about Kickstarter is that it kinda feels like I got Banner Saga and Broken Age for free and that's about it for the rest of the month besides one or two bundles.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The good thing about Kickstarter is that it kinda feels like I got Banner Saga and Broken Age for free and that's about it for the rest of the month besides one or two bundles.

Yeah, I definitely feel like with Broken Age Past Me bought Present Me an awesome game to play. Having the documentaries to watch in the meantime has definitely meant I haven't felt the wait was unbearable. Now I have this great game to play, and it's exactly my kind of thing! And I helped fund it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve Dev Days started this morning and I'm not going to lie, I'd rather be there now than where I am currently.

I've seen pictures of the swag bags they're handing out, and I have to admit I'm jealous.

- A valve
- A model steam train
- A Wheelman key

Out of morbid curiosity I wanted to see who led the "Steam Leaderboards" in level count and game count.

First, I present to you Flush who is sitting pretty at level 266. He "only" got to 1260 for the Holiday 2013 badge but seemingly maxed everything else out.

Second, I present to you A dj who currently puts JaseC to shame
:p
at 2,617 games and 3,121 items of DLC... Is there a game or DLC he doesn't own? Apparently he has amassed an enormous Desura, Origin and GOG collection as well.

We got a long way to guys.

EDIT: Every game or DLC he doesn't own is in his wishlist.

Folks have noted it already, but that Indie Royale bundle really does look good, I'm going to nab it myself when I get a free moment. In particular I love that so many of the games support local co-op modes (PJ Shooter, Gun Monkeys, Megabyte Punch). I've been having some fun with friends over these days, so I'm looking more and more for local co-op stuff to add to my Steam library.

Some bundle stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for MMBosstones86:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MMBosstones86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-F439FB9AF541373F - Taken by The-Bean. 8 entrants total.
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-8C0C7D758D2B1576 - Taken by maneil99. 5 entrants total.
Iron Sky: Invasion -- MB-57FC040B2D8F0803 - Taken by Kifimbo. 6 entrants total.
Naval Warfare -- MB-6C5139A37E25E4AD - Taken by JakeD. 1 entrants total.
Reus -- MB-02156104B01D023A - Taken by AsylumX. 7 entrants total.
Dungeonbowl -- MB-2369E4F13BDB93C2 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 6 entrants total.
King's Bounty: Legions True Tactician Ultimate Pack -- MB-780C18149204B2EE - Taken by Dice. 1 entrants total.
Tropico 4 Steam Edition -- MB-0960F5C7E663A144 - Taken by Saty. 11 entrants total.

t1389805055z1.png

Backlogger

I have a technical question, maybe someone can answer.
I have a tv-monitor connected via HDMI cable to my GPU. It supports full HD resolution (1920x1080), the only problem is that apparently the native resolution is 1360x768, if I choose the 1920x1080 it looks very small and it doesn't fit the entire screen. Why does it support it if I can't see it right? Is there a method where I can use the 1920x1080 resolution and see it right?
I didn't tried connecting a PS3 to see how it looks, but I suppose it should look ok

I have a PC that I sometimes hook up to the TV and Windows looks horrible. The fonts are hard to read and the desktop doesn't fit the screen like you are saying. When I load up a game and set the resolution to 1080p it looks fine usually. I haven't spent a lot of time looking into this though so if you find a solution that works let me know. If your TV has DVI that is probably a better way to go than using HDMI I think.

Li Kao

So I've begun my third or fourth new game of Rogue Legacy to right the cruel wrong of the dev adding achievements and making my game "not perfect" anymore.
I didn't read about the new bosses before launching myself in that enterprise.

ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif

Not sure if BF4 is better optimized than I expected or if 770M is more of an upgrade over my 7970M than I expected. Either way, good to hear. Maybe I'll stick with a laptop for my next machine too.

Valid points.

And the argument against a gaming laptop is that you can build a just as powerful, if not better, for cheaper. Which is true- I could have spent $1500 on a much faster system. But I travel a lot for work and I didn't want to only be able to use my system when I am home. So I needed the portability.

I was a bit apprehensive at first- but after opening it last night, updating everything and swapping the SSD in. I have no regrets. Games look beautiful. It left me speechless.

As a sidenote, and anyone can answer this: do I need to have played Bioshock 1 and 2 to follow Infinite? I am a horrible person and haven't played a Bioshock game. Be gentle.

denx

First, I present to you Flush who is sitting pretty at level 266. He "only" got to 1260 for the Holiday 2013 badge but seemingly maxed everything else out.

PalmDesert I'm cry.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Joe Danger 2 The Movie -- MB-B1AFC0C3197AE63E - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 10 entrants total.

t1389805460z1.png

JaseC

Out of morbid curiosity I wanted to see who led the "Steam Leaderboards" in level count and game count.

Second, I present to you A dj who currently puts JaseC to shame
:p
at 2,617 games and 3,121 items of DLC... Is there a game or DLC he doesn't own? Apparently he has amassed an enormous Desura, Origin and GOG collection as well.

We got a long way to guys.

EDIT: Every game or DLC he doesn't own is in his wishlist.

I think I've missed the boat on too much stuff to ever crack into the Top 5 assuming they keep at it -- using SteamDB's My Apps page as a reference, even if, at this very moment, I bought every game I don't currently own, I'd be sitting on 2,559. Nevertheless, being the third-highest Aussie is neat in itself, especially considering I've only been doing this for a year and a half.

Edit: Well, I think I'll eventually overtake PCGAMER for the fourth spot.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
- A valve
- A model steam train
- A Wheelman key

While not as cool as a Wheelman key, it appears their swagbags each have two Steam Controller prototypes, a Steam Dev Days logo'd spiral notebook, and a logo carry bag.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think I've missed the boat on too much stuff to ever crack into the Top 5 assuming they keep at it. Nevertheless, being the third-highest Aussie is neat in itself.

How does one check? By living in Brazil, a country that's very Piracy-Oriented, me having 1k games could probably put me up there.

nexen

Valid points.

And the argument against a gaming laptop is that you can build a just as powerful, if not better, for cheaper. Which is true- I could have spent $1500 on a much faster system. But I travel a lot for work and I didn't want to only be able to use my system when I am home. So I needed the portability.

I was a bit apprehensive at first- but after opening it last night, updating everything and swapping the SSD in. I have no regrets. Games look beautiful. It left me speechless.

As a sidenote, and anyone can answer this: do I need to have played Bioshock 1 and 2 to follow Infinite? I am a horrible person and haven't played a Bioshock game. Be gentle.
Bioshock Infinite is standalone in terms of story. You'd get a few 'hey, neat - this references the other games" moments, but nothing important.

My laptop is mostly to be able to play games at all. It is somewhat 'ok' for me to be playing games in the living room on the couch while my family watches TV and my kids play on the floor. As long as I am responsive when talked to and can follow the conversation, if there is one.
It is not 'ok' to be at the desk playing games off in the corner.

I discovered this a few years ago and it greatly increased the amount of playtime I can squeeze in in a week.

Bioshock Infinite is standalone in terms of story. You'd get a few 'hey, neat - this references the other games" moments, but nothing important.

My laptop is mostly to be able to play games at all. It is somewhat 'ok' for me to be playing games in the living room on the couch while my family watches TV and my kids play on the floor. As long as I am responsive when talked to and can follow the conversation, if there is one.
It is not ok' to be at the desk playing games off in the corner. I discovered this a few years ago and it greatly increased the amount of playtime I can squeeze in in a week.

Ha yeah- exactly. I have a daughter who just turned one. When I am at home- my wife seems to tolerate me on the couch with a laptop vs in the office/den on a desktop lol. I know the situation very well!

nexen

Ha yeah- exactly. I have a daughter who just turned one. When I am at home- my wife seems to tolerate me on the couch with a laptop vs in the office/den on a desktop lol. I know the situation very well!

My gaming laptop is worth every penny I paid for it, tbh.

And there were quite a few pennies involved.

JaseC

While not as cool as a Wheelman key, it appears their swagbags each have two Steam Controller prototypes, a Steam Dev Days logo'd spiral notebook, and a logo carry bag.

A Steam Controller certainly would be nice. I believe Valve should have sent some out to international users who'd thrown their proverbial hat into the Steam Machine beta ring to make up for later limiting said beta to the US.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks for the KB pack. Seems no one else wanted it. I wonder how it compares to the normal games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thank you very much MMBosstones86 for Dungeon Bowl! I'll have to pick up the DLC for it when it goes onsale eventually. I liked Blood Bowl well enough, so interested to see what this one is like.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh ok got it mixed up then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Played War of the human tanks for all of 2 secs then my laptop crashed......this laptop is garbitch.
Please tell me you stole that word from the AVGN :p

JaseC

Tizoc

Asus G750JX

The only thing I added to it was I added a SDD for the OS drive, and then formated the 750GB HD it came with as a data drive.

The only thing I am not so happy with is the screen. It is a matte screen that almost has a grain/grid look to it when viewing all white/grey screens (like GAF forum). I don't notice it in game and everything looks amazing. I will probably swap it out for a glossy screen down the road.

Hey I have that same laptop too!
Haven't got much installed in it and I have yet to try some of the more newer games to see how it'd run them, but having a new lappy and one that isn't as much of a hassle as my old one is refreshing.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-B8C825C7D81BD115 - Taken by fernandes. 10 entrants total.

t1389807036z1.png
:)

StAidan

Long Live the Queen is really frustrating.

I guess the key to the game is saving every five or so weeks and redoing classes?

I got about the first 50% of the achievements using full playthroughs, but since then have found frequent saves to be necessary due to the law of the diminishing returns. I usually save at critical decision points and have still had to start over occasionally to build up other skill combos.

Some of the skills you need to reach the more obscure conditions would take a long time to figure out any other way.

kurahador

So....is there any end point in Don't Starve?

Or is it just trying to survive as long as possible to grind levels and unlocks more characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom