• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

So....is there any end point in Don't Starve?

Or is it just trying to survive as long as possible to grind levels and unlocks more characters?

There's an adventure mode you can get to that could arguably be called beating the game. There isn't really an end to survival mode though, although it has been a while since I played so maybe they patched something in.

So....is there any end point in Don't Starve?

Or is it just trying to survive as long as possible to grind levels and unlocks more characters?

Pretty much. You can play the adventure mode. I think that is the only variation in the game. Don't forget the community-made content. It adds some stuff but at the end it's the same thing: grind to survive, survive to grind.

I stopped caring about random game count fluctuations. If it's a game I actually liked/intend to play I'll notice at some point, otherwise it can't really be a big loss.

I agree, it's just that initial feeling of "they're taking my games away!" I just hope it wasn't something in my backlog I was wanting to play eventually.

That's what I've been doing, but since the game contains no actual gameplay, redoing large parts so frequently is mind-numbing.

After sometime I can see myself doing diferent saves and loading to try to fix some events, but as I haven't spend too much time with the game yet I'll do.some more YOLO playthroughs and then play it more seriously.

Arthea

I stopped caring about random game count fluctuations. If it's a game I actually liked/intend to play I'll notice at some point, otherwise it can't really be a big loss.

I maybe paranoid, but I really think we should be informed that a game was removed from our library and for what reason, because it just how it has to be. And because I can't find what was removed and waist way to much time on trying to figure that out.

That's what I've been doing, but since the game contains no actual gameplay, redoing large parts so frequently is mind-numbing.

Really? actual gameplay is figuring out what went wrong and redoing it right, it's kinda opposite to mind-numbing, no? ;)

Just beat Steamworld Dig on my 3DS yesterday. It's like Dig Dug with persistant mines, loot and upgrades across three sizeable areas peppered with multiple dungeons. Fun game, overall it took me about 6 and a half hours. Got all of the upgrades and mined for all of the loot. About the only thing to shoot for in a repeated playthrough would be a faster time and fewer deaths. It's a really fun little game, I'll definitely double dip on it in the next Steam sale, although I'd say it's totally worth the 10$.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I agree, it's just that initial feeling of "they're taking my games away!" I just hope it wasn't something in my backlog I was wanting to play eventually.

How recently did you check? Do you already own Torchlight II? Usually the only time I see my game count go down is when there is a free weekend for a game I don't already own. Or, occasionally, if I'm a beta that just ended.

Arthea

How recently did you check? Do you already own Torchlight II? Usually the only time I see my game count go down is when there is a free weekend for a game I don't already own. Or, occasionally, if I'm a beta that just ended.

It's not that, I think it's 4 games or more, and I can't find any missing, well, any that I remember being there and now not being. Infuriating!

edited: I just had an idea. Have any games went f2p recently?

Tenrius

I'm still on the fence in regards to whether I should purchase this daily Jedi Knight bundle or not. On one hand, I want those games and even have more than enough card money to get them for free. On the other hand, I already have access to them (and all the other Star Wars games, actually) via family sharing and the guy who shares them with me doesn't even use his account all that much. Woe is me (or maybe I should have said "first world problems" instead, which may not have been entirely accurate, since I live a in a second world country after all).

This piece of senseless pondering brought to you by a mentally exhausted individual who is almost done with his finals.

Is there any protocol for games that are removed from libraries? Reimbursement or anything like that?

Not that I'm aware of. I'd at least like some kind of notification.

I noticed it yesterday afternoon. Oddly, the Steam client was showing the old number but the browser was showing the new, reduced number. I tried comparing my game lists between the two but didn't notice anything missing. I was thinking maybe it was a tool, like a server for a game or something. I don't own Torchlight II, but that's a good idea about checking if one of my games has a free weekend or came out of beta.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone in this thread played it and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down? Looks kinda interesting from the Steam reviews and store page.

Outside of games like Xenus Gold or the Precursors, It is the definition of Eurojank (and I don't use that term derogatorily).

It has neat ideas, but its interface will probably confuse you and the lack of polish could turn you off.

Tenrius

I maybe paranoid, but I really think we should be informed that a game was removed from our library and for what reason, because it just how it has to be. And because I can't find what was removed and waist way to much time on trying to figure that out.

The only time I had it happen to me (there was something wrong with a key somebody gave to me, I talked about it before), I had a huge glaring notification jumping right into my face out of the Steam client and demanding my confirmation of receipt with admirable relentlessness.

Tellaerin

So I've begun my third or fourth new game of Rogue Legacy to right the cruel wrong of the dev adding achievements and making my game "not perfect" anymore.

clu2_smhwjbc.png

And not to go too far OT, I really wish the Tron games were available on Steam. Tron 2.0 because it's a great game, and Tron Evolution for the sake of completeness (though I enjoyed it well enough). I'd definitely double dip if it happened. But between Disney owning the rights and Tron Evo using GFWL, I'm not expecting much. : /

Exuro

So I've begun my third or fourth new game of Rogue Legacy to right the cruel wrong of the dev adding achievements and making my game "not perfect" anymore.
I didn't read about the new bosses before launching myself in that enterprise.

ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif
I'm also doing it but I was lucky to have had my save corrupt due to the update.

Lain

New IndieRoyale bundle

PixelJunk Shooter - Steam
Gun Monkeys - Steam
Megabyte Punch - Steam? It's available in Steam, but there is no Steam key
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

And that concludes my quest to have all PixelJunk games in Steam

This was a good bundle, given I only had Stronghold HD.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can't wait for people on my friends list to start playing Ride Em' Low, it's pretty great. I mean, would these Steam reviews lie to you?

r10l.png

The game is this world's best kept secret.

Kuroyume

Banned
Hopefully this means more people play GunMonkeys. Great game from what little I've played. Have 17 hours played and I think about 16 was just me idling.

Jawmuncher

clu2_smhwjbc.png

And not to go too far OT, I really wish the Tron games were available on Steam. Tron 2.0 because it's a great game, and Tron Evolution for the sake of completeness (though I enjoyed it well enough). I'd definitely double dip if it happened. But between Disney owning the rights and Tron Evo using GFWL, I'm not expecting much. : /

Must have been fate that I see this post while listening to the Tron Legacy Soundtrack.
I actually have 2.0 on my computer. Bud sent me a used copy but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. But I agree both games need to make their way to Steam. Though considering how terrible Disney is in the PC space it has a 2/10 chance in happening. As for Evolution I agree it was pretty decent. Like how they went for a Prince of Persia style game. Could have been far worse. I bought it for 10 awhile back on PS3 and felt I got my money's worth.

Please tell me you stole that word from the AVGN :p

The instant I heard him say it, I knew it would need to be added to my everyday dialog.

Grief.exe

I'm still on the fence in regards to whether I should purchase this daily Jedi Knight bundle or not. On one hand, I want those games and even have more than enough card money to get them for free. On the other hand, I already have access to them (and all the other Star Wars games, actually) via family sharing and the guy who shares them with me doesn't even use his account all that much. Woe is me (or maybe I should have said "first world problems" instead, which may not have been entirely accurate, since I live a in a second world country after all).

This piece of senseless pondering brought to you by a mentally exhausted individual who is almost done with his finals.

Save your money for something more interesting then.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

I think I've missed the boat on too much stuff to ever crack into the Top 5 assuming they keep at it -- using SteamDB's My Apps page as a reference, even if, at this very moment, I bought every game I don't currently own, I'd be sitting on 2,559. Nevertheless, being the third-highest Aussie is neat in itself, especially considering I've only been doing this for a year and a half.

Edit: Well, I think I'll eventually overtake PCGAMER for the fourth spot.

Good luck. ;)

Btw how accurate is this My Apps thing? Because it's showing several games I already own, as not owned. Stormrise, Painkiller, Crazy Machines etc. But if I go by its calculations I would reach 2,571 if I bought everything (2,577 if I go by the number on my profile now). I've yet to indulge in some of the more extreme +1s like regional Max Paynes. I can't see myself ever cracking the top 5 because I'm not willing to buy that many games at their full retail price, which is a sacrifice those people have to make. I'm comfortable being in the top 10.

Jawmuncher

New Page now I can Ask All of SteamGAF.

My Laptop out here is already on it's last legs and i've only had it for 6 months.
Blue Screens out the ass unless I leave a video running which is just out. I've googled my error which is Kernel_Inpage_Error and I can't get any of the fixes to work. I really believe it's due to the HDD dying earlier than it has any right to though. Though today I had a different error message think it said something boot error. Can't recall. So regardless SteamGAF what should I do? For those who know my current situation I can't exactly just go to the store or send this off to dell to get fixed. Am I better off trying to fix it myself? Though I can't see how I can do that with the limited tools here or just buying a new laptop?

TL;DR - My Laptop is going to hell in a handbasket here in Afghanistan. What should I do try to fix it or just get a new one? (The Dell Inspirion line is something i'm never buying again)

I was more interested in the shooter and fighting games in that Indie Royale pack, but Stronghold HD looks really interesting as well. I never played the original, but the game play looks to be rather up my ally. When I was a kid (well before stronghold) I had two other castle building / defense games that I really enjoyed. Anyone else remember these guys?

Siege!
j93cGK7.gif

Castles
aXul5DK.png

Really used to love games like this, though I'm probably dating myself a bit by saying that I was playing these games when I was turning 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom