• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was more interested in the shooter and fighting games in that Indie Royale pack, but Stronghold HD looks really interesting as well. I never played the original, but the game play looks to be rather up my ally. When I was a kid (well before stronghold) I had two other castle building / defense games that I really enjoyed. Anyone else remember these guys?

I hadn't played those, but I did play an old game called Stronghold (AD&D game by TSR)

MrwBy8q.png

I still have this installed in Dos Box

Grief.exe

New Page now I can Ask All of SteamGAF.

My Laptop out here is already on it's last legs and i've only had it for 6 months.
Blue Screens out the ass unless I leave a video running which is just out. I've googled my error which is Kernel_Inpage_Error and I can't get any of the fixes to work. I really believe it's due to the HDD dying earlier than it has any right to though. Though today I had a different error message think it said something boot error. Can't recall. So regardless SteamGAF what should I do? For those who know my current situation I can't exactly just go to the store or send this off to dell to get fixed. Am I better off trying to fix it myself? Though I can't see how I can do that with the limited tools here or just buying a new laptop?

TL;DR - My Laptop is going to hell in a handbasket here in Afghanistan. What should I do try to fix it or just get a new one? (The Dell Inspirion line is something i'm never buying again)

Anyone have an extra hard drive on base you can test with?

You will need a 4GB flash stick to reinstall windows.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really wish Riddick was on Steam. Though I'm debating on picking it up on GOG.

It was. It got removed a long time ago. However, it showed up on GameFly or something for really cheap recently (like 3, 5 or 7 dollars). Keys that would redeem on Steam.

That's when I bought mine. No regrets!

wilflare

It was. It got removed a long time ago. However, it showed up on GameFly or something for really cheap recently (like 3, 5 or 7 dollars). Keys that would redeem on Steam.

That's when I bought mine. No regrets!

I hoped I picked it up then.
lessons to be learnt - not all the best deals are found on Steam

Tenrius

My Laptop out here is already on it's last legs and i've only had it for 6 months.
Blue Screens out the ass unless I leave a video running which is just out. I've googled my error which is Kernel_Inpage_Error and I can't get any of the fixes to work. I really believe it's due to the HDD dying earlier than it has any right to though. Though today I had a different error message think it said something boot error. Can't recall. So regardless SteamGAF what should I do? For those who know my current situation I can't exactly just go to the store or send this off to dell to get fixed. Am I better off trying to fix it myself? Though I can't see how I can do that with the limited tools here or just buying a new laptop?

TL;DR - My Laptop is going to hell in a handbasket here in Afghanistan. What should I do try to fix it or just get a new one? (The Dell Inspirion line is something i'm never buying again)

Eh, you could try replacing the HDD first, as it indeed sounds like an HDD problem. You'd have to install the OS on the new HDD and stuff, though, which would probably mean buying Windows as well. If that doesn't work, you could just get a new one instead. In that case, even the new HDD could come in handy, too: you could use it with a PS3 or get a case and convert it into a portable USB HDD.

Dr Dogg

Where is the rest of the data Ubi?!

Hahaha well it downloaded in about 2 min, I checked integrity and all files validated, pressing play brought up the old missing executable. Deleted and went to install again and it still only downloads 164.4mb.

FFS I really wanted to get on this tonight.

Turfster

Eh, you could try replacing the HDD first, as it indeed sounds like an HDD problem. You'd have to install the OS on the new HDD and stuff, though, which would probably mean buying Windows as well. If that doesn't work, you could just get a new one instead. In that case, even the new HDD could come in handy, too: you could use it with a PS3 or get a case and convert it into a portable USB HDD.

He's deployed, he can't "just" run to the store or order one online =p
But yeah, sounding like a drive problem. You could try running a drive check with Ultimate Boot CD.
Another option is that the drive got slightly unseated or dirt entered the enclosure. Can't hurt to try throwing it open and taking a look inside.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't know if Loren the Amazon Princess is any good, but I do appreciate how the developers spent enough effort so you can't tell it was made in RPG Maker VX :)

Some shots:

6323.jpeg

tumblr_m9pnsiKZLq1ryl60ho8_1280.png

I don't know your full situation, but is there no way you can send it to the manufacturer via home?

If it's that young it should have warranty, and attempting to fix it yourself could lead to problems further down the line should you void it.

Jawmuncher

Yeah i'm currently making some notes on which way to take. It's getting worse and worse and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Anyone have an extra hard drive on base you can test with?

You will need a 4GB flash stick to reinstall windows.

Plenty of external HDDs out here. I think I might try and reinstall windows since I might be able to get the files from the computer guys over here. Just not sure if that will fix it if it's indeed the HDD dying.

Nabs

Hahaha well it downloaded in about 2 min, I checked integrity and all files validated, pressing play brought up the old missing executable. Deleted and went to install again and it still only downloads 164.4mb.

FFS I really wanted to get on this tonight.

try now

Tenrius

But yeah, sounding like a drive problem. You could try running a drive check with Ultimate Boot CD.

Didn't a lot of US stores ship to APO/FPO/DPO addresses? At least, I was informed that they did one too many times, while being informed that they do not ship to my location at the same time. I thought he had a way to purchase stuff somehow, from the way the question was formulated.

Jawmuncher

I don't know if Loren the Amazon Princess is any good, but I do appreciate how the developers spent enough effort so you can't tell it was made in RPG Maker VX :)

Some shots:
tumblr_m9pnsiKZLq1ryl60ho8_1280.png

I'm adding that to my wishlist.

I don't know your full situation, but is there no way you can send it to the manufacturer via home?

If it's that young it should have warranty, and attempting to fix it yourself could lead to problems further down the line should you void it.

That's definitely another option. While it's not easy for me to send stuff out over here, I might be able to manage something. Though the issue might be them trying to send it back to the address here which wouldn't be a good idea considering how long repairs can take.

Another option is that the drive got slightly unseated or dirt entered the enclosure. Can't hurt to try throwing it open and taking a look inside.

Think i'll try the ultimate boot cd, sure I can get someone to download it for me. Might also try and get an air duster out here.
Though those are put under lock and key since apparently people huff them even with the taste thing they added to prevent that.

Anteater

Some shots:

http://www.lgdb.org/sites/default/files/node_images/4622/6323.jpeg[IMG]
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9pnsiKZLq1ryl60ho8_1280.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I like those art, interested

Tizoc

I'm adding that to my wishlist.

Likewise~
I'd like some gameplay impression of it first tho.

Say any SteamGAFfers here play Magic 2014 or the Steam Magic game? I'm currently grinding in Magic 2014 to unlock all the cards in my available decks, but how does the F2P Magic game work? How do I get more cards if I want to create say a White or (Fast) Red deck?

Erekiddo

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ride em Low -- MB-968DA526ED2BFA1F - Taken by Nabs[/QUOTE]

Nabs

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ride em Low -- MB-968DA526ED2BFA1F - Taken by Nabs
[/QUOTE]

Yesssssssssssssss

Jawmuncher

Didn't a lot of US stores ship to APO/FPO/DPO addresses? At least, I was informed that they did one too many times, while being informed that they do not ship to my location at the same time. I thought he had a way to purchase stuff somehow, from the way the question was formulated.

I can order things since we get mail weekly out here. Though as you said it has to ship to APO/FPO. The biggest issue however is a big purchase such as a laptop is something I don't exactly trust with deployment mail.....I still haven't gotten some stickers I ordered months ago for my gear.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
so apparently Steam hit 75 million active users

Do my 6 alt accounts that I don't use anymore and just register games to it when there's a multiple key game giveaway on Facebook (Like the Penny Arcade 3 giveaway, or the Snuggle Truck giveaway) and use to get more cards on events count on that?

Arthea

Likewise~
I'd like some gameplay impression of it first tho.

Say any SteamGAFfers here play Magic 2014 or the Steam Magic game? I'm currently grinding in Magic 2014 to unlock all the cards in my available decks, but how does the F2P Magic game work? How do I get more cards if I want to create say a White or (Fast) Red deck?

I play Magic 2014, unlocking takes sweet time in this one.
I'm not sure I understand your question. you mean Might & Magic Duel of Champions? Because it's a different game. In f2p games you buy them, as far as I know, I'm not playing it though.

edited: The fastest way to get decks is to buy, of course, but you can unlock it in game if you play and win long enough. Challenges don't unlock cards btw, these are for fun, unlocking is mostly done in Sealed Play Mode and deck building is done there too.
Prebuild decks are unlocked in campaign, again lots of playing and winning.

Since i got lucky and won something today, here is a game from the Humble Bundle i don't need!
Instructions for Gunstarheroes:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg

Papo & Yo -- MB-0F4A8857E81B38D7 - Taken by Mikurden

t1389821705z1.png

ok nevermind....the camera in MGR:R is a complete abomination. Seriously. I'm at the building section and its a total cluster fuck. Either that or the enemies hit so hard they can knock the camera out of orbit.

So damn bad.

Tellaerin

Kind of sad how RPG Maker has this lingering stigma attached to it. I've said for a long time now that something like RM VX is just as legitimate as Game Maker, Multimedia Fusion, etc., for developing commercial games. It's just a question of whether or not would-be developers are willing to put in the time and effort to create their own assets and scripts, rather than just bolting together a bunch of stuff from the default packages.

Li Kao

Fuck that, I can't... Rogue Legacy new bosses are clearly targeted toward a very small audience. Harder bosses, and a forced character class at level 0. I just can't.
Won the Herodotus fight, but I must be at 50 tries with Neo-Khidr. Too hardcore for me.

ok nevermind....the camera in MGR:R is a complete abomination. Seriously. I'm at the building section and its a total cluster fuck. Either that or the enemies hit so hard they can knock the camera out of orbit.

So damn bad.

And everyone goes "OMG SO GOOD PLATINUM SO GOOD".

Yeah MGR wasnt that good.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kind of sad how RPG Maker has this lingering stigma attached to it. I've said for a long time now that something like RM VX is just as legitimate as Game Maker, Multimedia Fusion, etc., for developing commercial games. It's just a question of whether or not would-be developers are willing to put in the time and effort to create their own assets and scripts, rather than just bolting together a bunch of stuff from the default packages.

I would agree with you except for one aspect. RPG Maker VX Ace has a maximum rendering resolution of 640x480. The default resolution is 544x416.

So while it's still a powerful tool, I wouldn't call it "legitimate" until it's capable of outputting at a higher resolution.

Lain

So far I'm not liking the parry gameplay in Rising. Finally finished the starting chapter with 2 Ds and the feeling that I'd rather dodge damage than parry it, since I seem to suck at parrying and I'm ending eating the damage anyways.

Sajjaja

I really don't understand the MGRR gets with it's camera. I've played the game at least 5 times, hardest difficulty and the camera never bothered me. My friends have had no problems either. It makes me suspect the way people play this game is weird lol.

So far I'm not liking the parry gameplay in Rising. Finally finished the starting chapter with 2 Ds and the feeling that I'd rather dodge damage than parry it, since I seem to suck at parrying and I'm ending eating the damage anyways.

So you're not liking it because you're bad at it?

Knurek

I would agree with you except for one aspect. RPG Maker VX Ace has a maximum rendering resolution of 640x480. The default resolution is 544x416.

So while it's still a powerful tool, I wouldn't call it "legitimate" until it's capable of outputting at a higher resolution.

Sure as hell doesn't look like Loren is using anything below 720p, so I'm not sure where from you're getting the res data?

//EDIT: Quick googling session proves your point. Oh well...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I really don't understand the MGRR gets with it's camera. I've played the game at least 5 times, hardest difficulty and the camera never bothered me. My friends have had no problems either. It makes me suspect the way people play this game is weird lol.

So you're not liking it because you're bad at it?

Did you see someone posting values to edit for the games 800x600 mode? You can lower the res for a better framerate since I saw you have a... special computer. O:

Sure as hell doesn't look like Loren is using anything below 720p, so I'm not sure where from you're getting the res data?

You have to hack it to get 720p and much resolutions above that don't work properly because the engine doesn't render stuff past a certain area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom