• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no luck with Puzzle Quest lol.. fml

ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition -- MB-5CCFCA5D6E68DD0B - Taken by DJ Crimson. 14 entrants total.

t1389812840z1.png

And everyone goes "OMG SO GOOD PLATINUM SO GOOD".

Yeah MGR wasnt that good.

The game is great....when I get to look at what i'm hitting

So far I'm not liking the parry gameplay in Rising. Finally finished the starting chapter with 2 Ds and the feeling that I'd rather dodge damage than parry it, since I seem to suck at parrying and I'm ending eating the damage anyways.

Don't worry, you'll learn to parry very soon :D

I really don't understand the MGRR gets with it's camera. I've played the game at least 5 times, hardest difficulty and the camera never bothered me. My friends have had no problems either. It makes me suspect the way people play this game is weird lol.

um..ok

Kind of sad how RPG Maker has this lingering stigma attached to it. I've said for a long time now that something like RM VX is just as legitimate as Game Maker, Multimedia Fusion, etc., for developing commercial games. It's just a question of whether or not would-be developers are willing to put in the time and effort to create their own assets and scripts, rather than just bolting together a bunch of stuff from the default packages.
To be honest, I think a lot of the stigma comes from the fact that it's mostly used to make stereotypical JRPG style games. If more people made games in other story genres and promoted them, people might not have such a negative opinion about it.

That said, the technical limitations are kind of ridiculous in this day and age and don't help RPG Maker's perception as a game development tool.

So far I'm not liking the parry gameplay in Rising. Finally finished the starting chapter with 2 Ds and the feeling that I'd rather dodge damage than parry it, since I seem to suck at parrying and I'm ending eating the damage anyways.
Yeah, I know how you feel. I finally got around to playing it yesterday despite preordering it and RockPaperShotgun was totally on the money about how the game is very obtuse when it comes to teaching you things. That plus the camera are really what knock the game down a few pegs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sure as hell doesn't look like Loren is using anything below 720p, so I'm not sure where from you're getting the res data?

If the game was indeed made with RPG Maker, the maximum output resolution it supports currently 640x480. This resolution can be stretched to full screen but not increased without a significant overhaul to RPG Maker's rendering engine.

Discussion on Steam here, and on RPG Maker's forums here

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Not sure if it was posted yet, but Amazon has Assassin's Creed IV (Steam) for $29.99, it's lowest price yet.

Sorry to overtake and ask something that I could probably find out researching, but I couldn't back then and I'm too lazy now.

What was that about new Ubisoft keys showing up in the registry for older UPlay games?

I have a couple Assassin's Creed Brotherhood keys I never redeemed on my UPlay account (I was always aware that I would get every assassin's creed on Steam). Any chance of that being redeemable Steam in the near future, or did I misunderstood JaseC's messages?

TGMIII

Just to be sure. You're tapping towards the direction of the enemy and light attack at the same time just before an attack lands, correct? Then for each consecutive attack you'll need to input a separate parry.

There's also a dodge move that can be purchased called defensive offensive.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If the game was indeed made with RPG Maker, the maximum output resolution it supports currently 640x480. This resolution can be stretched to full screen but not increased without a significant overhaul to RPG Maker's rendering engine.

Actually you can use a hacked dll to get higher resolutions like I said earlier, but it only works to past a point above 720p.

Tellaerin

I would agree with you except for one aspect. RPG Maker VX Ace has a maximum rendering resolution of 640x480. The default resolution is 544x416.

So while it's still a powerful tool, I wouldn't call it "legitimate" until it's capable of outputting at a higher resolution.

That's a fair point. It's not something that particularly bothers me personally, since I'm not really expecting HD-quality graphics from 2D indie RPGs, but I can see how that could be offputting to other people. Widescreen support would definitely be a plus.

To be honest, I think a lot of the stigma comes from the fact that it's mostly used to make stereotypical JRPG style games. If more people made games in other story genres and promoted them, people might not have such a negative opinion about it.

Another legit point. Sadly, I almost feel as if the Western "RPG Maker community" and its output has done more to hurt perceptions of RPG Maker over the years than it's helped. : /

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sorry to overtake and ask something that I could probably find out researching, but I couldn't back then and I'm too lazy now.

What was that about new Ubisoft keys showing up in the registry for older UPlay games?

I have a couple Assassin's Creed Brotherhood keys I never redeemed on my UPlay account (I was always aware that I would get every assassin's creed on Steam). Any chance of that being redeemable Steam in the near future, or did I misunderstood JaseC's messages?

As far as I'm aware, the recent leak of "retail" subs for older Uplay games has to do with Ubi selling new keys for those games on sites like Amazon or even their own store. Nobody knows for sure, but I think it's too early to get excited about redeeming Uplay keys on Steam just yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That's a fair point. It's not something that particularly bothers me personally, since I'm not really expecting HD-quality graphics from 2D indie RPGs, but I can see how that could be offputting to other people. Widescreen support would definitely be a plus.

It's definitely possible with Yanfly's script I believe. I have a few things installed on mine to make it 720p widescreen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The retail key subs don't necessarily indicate that Ubi is planning on making all keys Steam-redeemable; more likely, I think, is that it's going to begin selling Steam keys through its own store, but even if this comes to pass, if you still have proof of purchase, there's no harm in firing off an e-mail to Ubi and asking for a Steam key.

Lain

Just to be sure. You're tapping forwards and light at the same time just before an attack lands, correct? Then for each consecutive attack you'll need to input a separate parry.

There's also a dodge move that can be purchased called defensive offensive.

Yep. I was trying to parry some of the attacks of the
Rex on the rooftop
and I'd just get hit because I was doing it too early most likely.
Against the dude on the train I managed to parry some consecutive hits, but he did short work of me
(I guess that's supposed to happen)

I'm looking forward to buying the dodge move.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not saying I don't like the game, just that me and the parry mechanic do not seem to mesh well.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Goodday SteamGAF! Anything interesting steamnews that happened the last two day's? I wouldn't know, Zelda is keeping me too busy. And Broken Age! Loving that game. :)

Anyhow. I wanted to say thanks to HoosTrax once more, for gifting me To The Moon last week. "Things" have happened, though. Toki Tori2+ made me buy the new Humblebundle as well, so now i'm the one gifting the game. What thou shall receive thou shalt modbot or whatever.
Anyhow, more coming soon, probably, but these are the doubles. Papo & Yo is pretty great, platforming is a bit off but the style is wonderfull. :)
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Papo & Yo -- MB-F32E21E6882B3161 - Taken by Robert J. Sullivan
To The Moon -- MB-E7486108D5E33F8A - Taken by KenOD

bittriprunner2.png
strikesuitzero.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Strike Suit Zero -- MB-A148C8C9A015B507 - Taken by Tenrius
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-10DFDADD49DDC098 - Taken by OldAsUrSock

the combat in Banner Saga kind of drives me insane. there isn't a stat that determines turn order, and the combat turns alternate between individual characters rather than one side all at once. a team with three characters, for example has equal moves as a team with six characters. some people may like this, but for me it kinda removes the capability to fight like a super strong enemy that your team is battering against, as it kills them one by one once its turn rolls around. As of now, ive just been keeping enemies at low hit points rather than finishing them off. If i kill low level enemies, the stronger ones have more turns to kill everyone (until its the only one left, where this limit is removed and your team can act one after the other).

I guess I wanted something with as much variety usually found in the genre. With only one main skill, there isn't much incentive to use one character of the same class over the other (not that they are that diverse artwork/personality wise). It's great to look at of course but for the most part its boring. The characters from the east/second act were way more engaging and interesting than the characters in the west.

Dolken

Neo Member
Leftovers from Humble Indie Bundle X.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-69790E6B0A7C5CEA - Taken by kutthoat5150. 4 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-4AA7994596B13BFE
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-9EE85534CBAADF66 - Taken by fallout. 5 entrants total.

t1389814010z1.png

Good lord, I'm on class right now and this bass to be one of the most boring days in my entire academic life :/

I asked this yesterday, but got no answer: Has anyone beaten Two Brothers yet? There's no info about it on HowLongToBeat.com, I'm sure I'd like it but I'm not in the mood for another +30 hour game right after Fallout:New Vegas :/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's going to be a tremendously awesome game once it gets more tangible content.
Yeah, I'm tempted to wait until my steam wallet is enough to get that, which would basically be any sale at all.

Sajjaja

Did you see someone posting values to edit for the games 800x600 mode? You can lower the res for a better framerate since I saw you have a... special computer. O:

I can get my beloved 640x480? :O

Looks to me like it's what I said, yeah. I don't like the parry gameplay because I'm not good at parrying.

Just practice dude. I played the demo a shit ton when that game out so it became easy after a while. You just gotta practice. Don't kill a dude until you parry him one time at least. It'll get progressively easier. The first boss fight is pretty much designed to get you to parry as it makes the game so much easier and funner.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I can get my beloved 640x480? :O

Just practice dude. I played the demo a shit ton when that game out so it became easy after a while. You just gotta practice. Don't kill a dude until you parry him one time at least. It'll get progressively easier. The first boss fight is pretty much designed to get you to parry as it makes the game so much easier and funner.

You can use cheat engine or edit them yourself apparently, and here is the post with the values to modify: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97222502&postcount=6057

Anteater

Some of you who didn't like rising should at least unlock sam (i think you can use the konami code) and try playing as him, I like him a lot better than Raiden, play it on normal though if the game frustrates you, his campaign on hard is tougher.

Dude has a roll, a heavy charge attack, a double jump and an air dash, he's so cool :D

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I would agree with you except for one aspect. RPG Maker VX Ace has a maximum rendering resolution of 640x480. The default resolution is 544x416.

So while it's still a powerful tool, I wouldn't call it "legitimate" until it's capable of outputting at a higher resolution.

Haha, this is true? Jesus christ. So 640x480 or less is the resolution Loren the Amazon Princess is in natively? Meaning it looks really nice from the screens but when it's stretched to 1080p+ on my monitor it's going to look like utter shit. Thanks for the warning, I'll wait 'til it's a few bucks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How Early Access is Next Car Game?

Very. Two cars, two modes, and a few tracks, however the Early Access version also comes with a separate app that's practically a physics sandbox and by all accounts it's immensely fun.

And did they just double the Russian price? :O

Yeah, a couple of hours ago or so. Fortunately I got in early and picked up the DDE for $17 (I wouldn't have bought it just yet otherwise).

Wok

New IndieRoyale bundle

PixelJunk Shooter - Steam
Gun Monkeys - Steam
Megabyte Punch - Steam? It's available in Steam, but there is no Steam key
Ride´em Low - Steam
Stronghold HD - Steam
Hexcells - DRM free

And that concludes my quest to have all PixelJunk games in Steam

HexCells is really good, but I heard HexCells Plus is better.

Haha, this is true? Jesus christ. So 640x480 or less is the resolution Loren the Amazon Princess is in natively? Meaning it looks really nice from the screens but when it's stretched to 1080p+ on my monitor it's going to look like utter shit. Thanks for the warning, I'll wait 'til it's a few bucks.
It depends on what graphics options are available. I've gotten some PSP games to look pretty decent on my 1080P TV by cranking up some AA and the rendering resolution in PPSSPP.

Was meant to be a raffle anyways...
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Shadowgrounds -- MB-6EFEBA3AE8F87085 - Taken by Sendou
Shadowgrounds Survivor -- MB-EB27EEB8046B0BD6 - Taken by Tellaerin
Trine -- MB-51D0CCF514497526 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-AA11287EADC4BD76 - Taken by Hanzou
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-448D6A82D2729B7A - Taken by Luap
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-9F2D08B976DBF503 - Taken by Lord British

derExperte

:::

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-E286A8DC496FA85D - Taken by Melted77

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom