• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolken

Neo Member
Update on my previous giveaway. Key should work.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Papo & Yo -- MB-4AA7994596B13BFE - Taken by Sajjaja

And everyone goes "OMG SO GOOD PLATINUM SO GOOD".

Yeah MGR wasnt that good.

Wrong.
GOTY 2013.

Might be GOTY 2014.

The game is great....when I get to look at what i'm hitting

Don't worry, you'll learn to parry very soon :D

um..ok

Most of the time the camera isn't bad... just everyone once in awhile it goes squirrely.

The most incorrect post of the day.

I like you.

Yep. I was trying to parry some of the attacks of the
Rex on the rooftop
and I'd just get hit because I was doing it too early most likely.
Against the dude on the train I managed to parry some consecutive hits, but he did short work of me
(I guess that's supposed to happen)

I'm looking forward to buying the dodge move.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not saying I don't like the game, just that me and the parry mechanic do not seem to mesh well.

Let's clarify here. I'm going to try to explain the system here for everyone, but you should benefit from it as well.

For my purposes, we're going to refer to two actions here, BLOCKING (which you may be calling parry) and PARRYING (which some may call a "perfect parry"). In my terms:

BLOCKING is achieved by pressing toward and light attack. You can do this at any time and Raiden will bring his sword up to block and attack... You might need an enemy in proximity, I'll have to check, but you can stand there and spam it over and over again, as blocks only last for a short time.

PARRYING is what happens when you wait to block until the last possible instant. This is the same as "counters" in a lot of games like God of War or Castlevania:LoS (or even Bayonetta when you have that one accessory on, but you only have to press toward, instead of toward+attack). When you successfully do this, Raiden will spin around and do an upward strike toward the enemy after he blocks the initial attack. If it hits, depending on the difficulty and enemy, it may put them in line for a blade mode or execution attack.

You can play the whole game without needing to parry. Yes, you can buy offensive defense, and I highly suggest it (along side aerial parry) as your first purchase. But the intent for that move is to cancel you out of attacks when you're going to take damage or being attacked from the side.

Now for the area you're talking about in particularly up there in R00:
You never need to actually "parry" (or PARRY) MGRay. Ever. You merely need to be in the BLOCKING animation I describe above with the sword held in front of Raiden when the MGRay is going to actually cause damage. The key to this is learning the timing on his attacks, of course, but you can block everything and it will automatically initiate a blade mode sequence and cause major damage (I just recently learned that you can do this if he's trying to stomp on you during the first fight and I always thought you just had to run to evade that... but if you wait until the foot is coming down and press toward plus up (so long as you're not way too early or too late, you can get Raiden to sit there with the sword in front of him as the foot comes down and boom, you're prompted for blade mode). As far as the roof goes, I think there's only 2 attacks you should ever really block and that's the face lunge forward and the arm slam. There is a lunge where it goes from left to right, but it's best to just avoid that one. Again, if you block at all, and it hits you while in block state, boom, blade mode prompt.

Most enemies have visual cues you need to learn to recognize that will say "an attack is coming". Any humanoid enemy will usually gleam red or yellow around their eye; yellow is unblockable and you need to run away or use the dodge. Red is blockable, and more importantly, parry-able, so you can counter the attack and cause massive damage to them (on higher difficulties moreso... on lower difficulties, parrying is sort of useless because it only gives you a quick opening.)

kulapik

Just a trick for all those at work: if you use the mobile layout (you can) there's an option to deactivate photos and gifs, only showing if you click on them.

*removes from wishlist*

I can only imagine this is what you were thinking when you added it to your wishlist:

80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif

Sorry... at least I know not to add it to mine. ;)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The uncensored version of Loren can be bought at Desura.com or Mangagamer.com (adult section). As far as I can tell it's just some frontal nudity, but it doesn't surprise me that the Steam version lacks it.

Hey I have that same laptop too!
Haven't got much installed in it and I have yet to try some of the more newer games to see how it'd run them, but having a new lappy and one that isn't as much of a hassle as my old one is refreshing.

Cheers dude! I really like it. I have been going through a backlog and installing all of the things I couldn't run before or that ran like crap just see how it looks with a modern day system lol

yatesl

I feel like Big Picture mode needs an Alt+F4 option.

It's a testimont to how good BPM is, when I keep finding myself saying "I don't want to play this any more", and instinctively hitting the guide/PS home button, before remembering I have to quit through the in game menus.

I'd love that option to just quit. Even through up a warning about saves etc, like 360/PS3 does.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Paging jasec and jshackles

Seriously guys - send my name in. Although I doubt if someone gets hired as a result of this "contest" that they'll give everyone that recommended that person every game on Steam.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
2000 Steam Machines handed out to developers. Hopefully that means I get to play around with some for those that I know attended. Must practice pity powers.

Also Valve wants television, movies, and music ready to go for Steam OS's launch. I guess they are going for the media centre under the tele too. If it takes off, will this have to become the Steam Game thread and a separate Steam Media (like that of Netflix) for Off-Topic Community?

Bloody hell that's nice, Steam Controller API allows up to 16 controllers in use at a time.

Grief.exe

Just a trick for all those at work: if you use the mobile layout (you can) there's an option to deactivate photos and gifs, only showing if you click on them.

.gifs always cause chrome on my phone to fail miserably.

Probably some kind of memory leak issue as it loads them fine in the beginning, but after enough gifs have been loaded it eventually fails.

The Cowboy

Beta trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6daTbItCOk
Store page.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/246700/
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Strike Vector Beta Key 2 -- MB-7203FE27E02BB500 - Taken by Deques. 6 entrants total.
Strike Vector Beta Key 1 -- MB-419436DAB969E3DE - Taken by xelios. 7 entrants total.

t1389818646z1.png
I just received 2 new keys (apparently some older keys didn't work - mine both did), so have at them.

2000 Steam Machines handed out to developers. Hopefully that means I get to play around with some for those that I know attended. Must practice pity powers.

Also Valve wants television, movies, and music ready to go for Steam OS's launch. I guess they are going for the media centre under the tele too. If it takes off, will this have to become the Steam Game thread and a separate Steam Media (like that of Netflix) for Off-Topic Community?

Bloody hell that's nice, Steam Controller API allows up to 16 controllers in use at a time.

Wait really??? I was JUST looking into this yesterday and was thinking the best way would be iTunes at the moment. If Steam is including those things, my god... Incredibly fantastic news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom