• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
kyY905l.jpg

Grief.exe

Seriously guys - send my name in. Although I doubt if someone gets hired as a result of this "contest" that they'll give everyone that recommended that person every game on Steam.

Send me the link, I don't even give a shit about the games.

I firmly believe that you being hired by Valve would help the platform as a whole.

Now everyone, I don't want any pushing and shoving from ya'll about who is lucky enough to acquire this fine piece of gaming goodness.

ModBot said:
Instructions for TheFightingFish:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ride'em Low -- MB-EB5F00B2ED923987 - Taken by Fox318

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Send me the link, I don't even give a shit about the games.

I firmly believe that you being hired by Valve would help the platform as a whole.

Thanks Grief! :)

Speaking of new things in Enhanced Steam, here is what I'm working on at the moment:

An "Options" link will be added to DLC sections on app pages:
iFEfNcY.png

When you click it, it will give you options for the DLC checkboxes (obviously not yet styled):
udh8DaS.png

Clicking the relevant item will check/uncheck stuff in the list. So if you want to easily buy all unowned DLC, just check the box and click "Add Selected to Cart".
CKESG6A.png

Lain

Let's clarify here. I'm going to try to explain the system here for everyone, but you should benefit from it as well.

For my purposes, we're going to refer to two actions here, BLOCKING (which you may be calling parry) and PARRYING (which some may call a "perfect parry"). In my terms:

BLOCKING is achieved by pressing toward and light attack. You can do this at any time and Raiden will bring his sword up to block and attack... You might need an enemy in proximity, I'll have to check, but you can stand there and spam it over and over again, as blocks only last for a short time.

PARRYING is what happens when you wait to block until the last possible instant. This is the same as "counters" in a lot of games like God of War or Castlevania:LoS (or even Bayonetta when you have that one accessory on, but you only have to press toward, instead of toward+attack). When you successfully do this, Raiden will spin around and do an upward strike toward the enemy after he blocks the initial attack. If it hits, depending on the difficulty and enemy, it may put them in line for a blade mode or execution attack.

You can play the whole game without needing to parry. Yes, you can buy offensive defense, and I highly suggest it (along side aerial parry) as your first purchase. But the intent for that move is to cancel you out of attacks when you're going to take damage or being attacked from the side.

Now for the area you're talking about in particularly up there in R00:
You never need to actually "parry" (or PARRY) MGRay. Ever. You merely need to be in the BLOCKING animation I describe above with the sword held in front of Raiden when the MGRay is going to actually cause damage. The key to this is learning the timing on his attacks, of course, but you can block everything and it will automatically initiate a blade mode sequence and cause major damage (I just recently learned that you can do this if he's trying to stomp on you during the first fight and I always thought you just had to run to evade that... but if you wait until the foot is coming down and press toward plus up (so long as you're not way too early or too late, you can get Raiden to sit there with the sword in front of him as the foot comes down and boom, you're prompted for blade mode). As far as the roof goes, I think there's only 2 attacks you should ever really block and that's the face lunge forward and the arm slam. There is a lunge where it goes from left to right, but it's best to just avoid that one. Again, if you block at all, and it hits you while in block state, boom, blade mode prompt.

Most enemies have visual cues you need to learn to recognize that will say "an attack is coming". Any humanoid enemy will usually gleam red or yellow around their eye; yellow is unblockable and you need to run away or use the dodge. Red is blockable, and more importantly, parry-able, so you can counter the attack and cause massive damage to them (on higher difficulties moreso... on lower difficulties, parrying is sort of useless because it only gives you a quick opening.)

This helps a lot actually in explaining the system more. Looks like I was waiting too long to execute the block/parry, instead of too early.

I managed to get a couple Bs in the next chapter against
Geckos and then that dog AI
. The red cues with the humanoids make it a lot easier to execute the blocks/parry.
Now I just need to learn how to do that move where I grab their internals to absorb energy on a consistent basis.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
I hate pie charts. Terrible way of showcasing data.
Totally agree. It's sad how often it gets used while the entire graphic is useless. There's no telling how much bigger one part is compared the other unless the difference is huge. Then there's the brain that can often be fooled into thinking one part is bigger while it's actually smaller.

Really, I wonder how many ppl realize how useless this abomination is. After all, without the actual data being shown, it literally doesn't make any sense whatsoever. They'd be much better of simply showing a list of the numbers instead. Of course, a smart person would've used a bar chart for this.

#BarChartsFTW

Baha

Free stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bad Bots -- MB-4674190C56C67FE4 - Taken by Cizard. 3 entrants total.
Iron Sky: Invasion -- MB-BA63270280831D87 - Taken by Lain. 1 entrants total.

t1389819860z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For the enhanced steam standalone, does it automatically update or do we have to do it manually?

Right now it's a manual process, unfortunately. In the upcoming version it will check when you launch the application if an updated version is available and ask if you would like to update.

Totally agree. It's sad how often it gets used while the entire graphic is useless. There's no telling how much bigger one part is compared the other unless the difference is huge. Then there's the brain that can often be fooled into thinking one part is bigger while it's actually smaller.

Really, I wonder how many ppl realize how useless this abomination is. After all, without the actual data being shown, it literally doesn't make any sense whatsoever. They'd be much better of simply showing a list of the numbers instead. Of course, a smart person would've used a bar chart for this.

#BarChartsFTW
29GM

more leftovers

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Shelter -- MB-E552BD9518DF13E3 - Taken by corrosivefrost
Garry's Mod -- MB-13A66E39AC92006A - Taken by MisterLuffy
Little Inferno -- MB-9D4902C0BC4E5370 - Taken by HUELEN10

Seriously guys - send my name in. Although I doubt if someone gets hired as a result of this "contest" that they'll give everyone that recommended that person every game on Steam.

I'd wager they'd give the 1st submitter the prize.
I'll toss your name in there too, if you want me to.
Maybe if enough people tell valve to hire you, it'll help. ;)

This helps a lot actually in explaining the system more. Looks like I was waiting too long to execute the block/parry, instead of too early.

I managed to get a couple Bs in the next chapter against
Geckos and then that dog AI
. The red cues with the humanoids make it a lot easier to execute the blocks/parry.
Now I just need to learn how to do that move where I grab their internals to absorb energy on a consistent basis.

That's simple. I can help with that too.

First a tip -- don't think it needs a spoiler, as I think anyone familiar with the concept of the game knows about gekkos -- Gekkos are good to learn about parrying attacks/counters/perfect parrys... whatever you wish to call it for your own understanding. If you can get one alone, like near the start of R01, it's got those big slow kicks. Practice blocking/countering. When you get the counter timing right, you'll see that move I spoke of and the gekko will hop out of range.

Side tip: easiest way to kill a gekko is to wait for it to start to charge... as the charge nears you, block. You'll get the QTE to mash Y. As you finish that, if you wait a second, you'll be prompted for the execution QTE (Y+B) which is insta-kill. And when you use the zandatsu tip below, instant recharge of your FC and health.

So... for zandatsu...

x makes a horizontal slash
y makes a vertical slash.
Raiden starts by wanting to make a horizontal slash most of the time (default)
You can see a slight line across the screen (it's not obvious if you don't know it's there, I'd wager). This is the path your sword will take when you press x.
(note: you can alter, and will need to in later battles, the orientation of your slash by using the right stick to control this axis. when lined up, simply PICK UP YOUR THUMB and the blade will travel the path of the axis.)

so what you should do when doing zandatsu is immediately look for the red square. you want that axis line to go through this box -- when it does, you'll get a + in the middle of the box and hear a chirp. hit x (or let go of the stick, or y if you're trying to vertical slash for some reason). you'll hear the impact and the b prompt for zandatsu will appear -- you can keep slashing in most cases if you want to pad your combo counter... but don't wait too long or the prompt will disappear and the enemy will just be "destroyed".

I think it's VR training 04 that covers zandatsu and would probably give you a good bit of practice doing what I'm talking about above. If you haven't done the 4 VR training sessions that should be unlocked for you right now, go into the codec menu and do them. They'll help.

more leftovers

Score! Thank you for Shelter. I wanted it from the humble weekly but didn't want to buy the bundle for just that game. THANKS!

jshackles

Has Valve like acknowledged your efforts at all yet?

Not officially. However, I was invited on a tour of their offices last summer and got a chance to talk to some people there about it. Of course, ES only had about 20,000 downloads at the time (which I thought was a lot) but now it has over 550,000!

There have also been about 3-4 features that Valve themselves implemented that were first part of Enhanced Steam (nothing major or surprising), so I have to assume they're definitely taking notice.

derFeef

Not officially. However, I was invited on a tour of their offices last summer and got a chance to talk to some people there about it. Of course, ES only had about 20,000 downloads at the time (which I thought was a lot) but now it has over 550,000!

There have also been about 3-4 features that Valve themselves implemented that were first part of Enhanced Steam, so I have to assume they're definitely taking notice.

Ohh Valve is thief!

FloatOn

I've got a bit of a random question. Does anyone know why valve limits their coming soon section to roughly 30 or so games?

I know they know what is coming out, why not put the pages up ahead of time?

Twinduct

There have also been about 3-4 features that Valve themselves implemented that were first part of Enhanced Steam (nothing major or surprising), so I have to assume they're definitely taking notice.

Ah that's nice though, I mean considering the invite given the amount of users then.
But holy shit man how long can they ignore this until they hire you! Half a million (active) users can't be wrong!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ah that's nice though, I mean considering the invite given the amount of users then.
But holy shit man how long can they ignore this until they hire you! Half a million (active) users can't be wrong!

They haven't noticed their client has sucked for years.

Grief.exe

interesting. I wonder why konami is slacking on getting the lords of shadow 2 page up then.

and if the Dark Souls 2 pc delay is true or not.

Konami didn't throw up the MGR page until the pre-order was ready about two weeks before the release.

Dark Souls 2 has officially been delayed by From, but it should still launch in March.

jshackles

True, but since Valve now has 75 million users, Enhanced Steam users only represent 0.73% of their userbase. And I don't have any statistics for the actual number of active users other than what Google and Mozilla report, which is currently about 150,000 average active daily users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom