• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

See the way I see it that the Steam Controller isn't really going to replace or be better than a traditional controller or stick for fighting games or character action games or platformers. Where it really is going to shine is keyboard and mouse centric games. It will help make something like Civ or Total War more accessible from the sofa.
I think the Steam Controller would be better than the stick part of a stick for fighting games, but I'd still rather have actual buttons on the right side.

Sajjaja

jshackles is your new avatar actually you? I thought your previous avatar was you and, 'fool me once...'

Related: is something going on right now about using an actual picture of yourself as your avatar? Seems like a lot of people are doing it. It counters the saoirse invasion.
Real pic January.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles is your new avatar actually you? I thought your previous avatar was you and, 'fool me once...'

Related: is something going on right now about using an actual picture of yourself as your avatar? Seems like a lot of people are doing it. It counters the saoirse invasion.

Real Pic January, and yes this is actually me. Sadly I don't have Jason Momoa's figure. :(

That is a pretty fair point since when the first demonstration came out they were showing how viable it was for games like Civ5 and other m+kb centric games I believe

The removal of the touchscreen seems like a step back as a kb&m replacement. The ability to add more buttons with the screen really appealed to me.

Dr Dogg

That is a pretty fair point since when the first demonstration came out they were showing how viable it was for games like Civ5 and other m+kb centric games I believe

I think the Steam Controller would be better than the stick part of a stick for fighting games, but I'd still rather have actual buttons on the right side.

Some of the Steam Machine 300 groups feedback has been quite encouraging but the press reviews have been a bit disappointing from what I've read. I'm sure it will be quite versatile but like any new input method it will take a bit of an adjustment period. As soon as I get my hands on one I'm going to be trying every thing as I don't exactly want 2,3 or more controllers kicking around.

Just wondering, why would you think that? I'm not anti the Steam Controller, but a fighting game seems like a really bad fit for it. With a fighting game stick you need precise access (often hitting moves with 1-3 frame timing) to eight cardinal directions as quick and accurate as possible. It's pretty much the most demanding genre when it comes to needing super fast and accurate digital (not analog) inputs.

So I beat Orcs Must Die 2 (with the Sorceress).

0059_h9rx.gif

Great game. Now I've been playing the Endless Mode, which is very fun and challenging. I died on wave 38 on my first try. :'(

Acccent

Real Pic January, and yes this is actually me. Sadly I don't have Jason Mamoa's figure. :(

*google jason mamoa, sees pic of khal drogo* OH SO THAT'S WHO HE REMINDED ME OF

And, ok, I wasn't aware of Real Pic January. Does it end with the month? I'll upload sthg myself :eek:

Just wondering, why would you think that? I'm not anti the Steam Controller, but a fighting game seems like a really bad fit for it. With a fighting game stick you need precise access (often hitting moves with 1-3 frame timing) to eight cardinal directions as quick and accurate as possible. It's pretty much the most demanding genre when it comes to needing super fast and accurate digital (not analog) inputs.

I'm with you on this.

Check the OT. And if someone doesn't like the game he or she hasn't posted about it. I haven't read one negative opinion so far.

I saw some negative stuff in here about enemy variety lacking/being repetitive... but other than that, not much that I've come across.

I'll show myself out.

Wait, why?

That doesn't seem right, lol.

KKPEPjT.png

Glitch in the matrix.

Dolken

Neo Member
The new version of the Steam controller looks good

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeDa6qsCAAAqqnq.jpg:large

Based on what I've heard, the controller is insanely comfortable and has more usage than the console counterparts. Can’t wait until I get my hands on one.

I swear, the extension reviewers at Mozilla are just trolling me.

So a version of Enhanced Steam was rejected because there were some un-sanitized elements inserted into the DOM. Mozilla wants anything that could return variable data to be run through an HTML sanitation routine. Fair enough.

So I did that.

Now the latest version got rejected because "You should not be escaping HTML metacharacters in URL parameters".

Firefox users, it may be a while longer before the next version gets approved. The one that's hosted by Mozilla is getting rather old (since before the Winter Sale) but the last three versions I've uploaded to them have been rejected for the above reasons.

The day I finally install Chrome as a secondary browser draws near.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The day I finally install Chrome as a secondary browser draws near.

In the meantime, I'm now compiling a new XPI on each commit I make to Github.

You can install the latest version from this link, but it won't keep itself updated automatically.

Backlogger

They don't actually appear in my inventory. For a moment there I thought I was going to be rich :(

That must be what happened to me. I got a notification after buying a game that I had something new in my inventory. Went to the screen but it didn't load, refreshed and the notification was gone, nothing new in my inventory. It was probably another snow globe.

jshackles

Gabe sure is being chatty on Reddit, mostly about cars.

I hope he takes people's advise and does a Reddit AMA. If so, I have a few questions I'd like to throw out there.

Curious_George

Neo Member
Here's a couple to giveaway to a good home

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fear -- MB-3454437BC02D6F9E - Taken by Syphon Filter. 5 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-24B3B5653C21E25A - Taken by DJSebolski. 1 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-6A0A5C54C363B997 - Taken by Seanspeed. 4 entrants total.

t1389828725z1.png

Steam has a lot of games that don't fall into this "modern" category and could benefit from a solid dpad.

Agreed. Which is why I think they should also support a (3rd party) 360 controller officially. Yes I know it works by default in most linux builds, but having a doc that says "We officially support the Logitech F310 and F710, and here's how to use it in Linux" would be beneficial.

Agreed. Which is why I think they should also support a (3rd party) 360 controller officially. Yes I know it works by default in most linux builds, but having a doc that says "We officially support the Logitech F310 and F710, and here's how to use it in Linux" would be beneficial.

They said other companies can make steam controllers so there may be variants with dpad or analogs, we shall see.

jshackles

Gabe just told someone that the best way to get a job at Valve is to create content for the Workshop.

Hopes - Deleted. :(

Gvaz

Banned
I use a controller for everything... so that's not a problem for me.

Uncharted 2 is heralded by many as the best in the series -- so much that you'd probably almost think it was a gift from God in PS3 disc form. But I disagree there -- it's just a mediocre cover based third person shooter which dropped a lot of the exploration and puzzle elements of Uncharted in favor of a really bad story filled with tons of action and shootbangs (probably because they spent so much time designing and refining a multiplayer component to the game -- it makes sense, right; focus on the aspect of the game you're putting tons of resources into for the single player to make use of that development time). Uncharted 3 gets a ton of hate, I think, because it moves the needle back toward the first installment's balance in terms of exploration/action. Reminds me of how people hate RE6 cause it's not RE4... but the core of RE6 is a solid TPS in a "survival horror" setting.

I hated uncharted 1 because:

- every ten feet it was more fucking shooting. it would have been better if i could have used the controller for everything, then just pop on my keyboard/mouse for actual aiming like i do in games like tomb raider, saints row, batman, just cause, etc. bad enough the shooting elements felt like they half assed them.
- not enough actual exploring and seeing of cool vistas. it was just LOOK AT THESE TREE ROOTS AND SHIT. OH and btw there's like ten items here that are really fucking hard to find because you either have to backtrack or they're hidden behind something that doesn't look like you could go there because everything looks like a fucking mush of everything else. Mind your eyes on the jaggies, they're ruthless
- story was retarded garbage, characters were retarded garbage
- not enough actual platforming elements

Tomb raider, after playing UC1, was like a breath of fresh air. It was what the older tomb raiders should have been like (more story driven, less finicky platforming trial and error, good weapons, and good graphics) with mechanics that were appealing from uncharted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom