• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Just wondering, why would you think that? I'm not anti the Steam Controller, but a fighting game seems like a really bad fit for it. With a fighting game stick you need precise access (often hitting moves with 1-3 frame timing) to eight cardinal directions as quick and accurate as possible. It's pretty much the most demanding genre when it comes to needing super fast and accurate digital (not analog) inputs.

It seems like it would be faster/easier to move your thumb over and around a flat circle than it would be to move a stick to do the same.

They said other companies can make steam controllers so there may be variants with dpad or analogs, we shall see.

Absolutely.

I'm just saying that there's already a very successful standard for USB controllers, and it's very well defined for a fairly deep set of control options. Valve could easily "embrace and extend" it for their purposes.

Here's the list of controllers supported:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh405050(v=vs.85).aspx

Just for the sake of the thread, here's the text of the table:

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_UNKNOWN
Unknown.
The controller type is unknown.

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_GAMEPAD
Gamepad controller.
Includes Left and Right Sticks, Left and Right Triggers, Directional Pad, and all standard buttons (A, B, X, Y, START, BACK, LB, RB, LSB, RSB).

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_WHEEL
Racing wheel controller.
Left Stick X reports the wheel rotation, Right Trigger is the acceleration pedal, and Left Trigger is the brake pedal. Includes Directional Pad and most standard buttons (A, B, X, Y, START, BACK, LB, RB). LSB and RSB are optional.

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_ARCADE_STICK
Arcade stick controller.
Includes a Digital Stick that reports as a DPAD (up, down, left, right), and most standard buttons (A, B, X, Y, START, BACK). The Left and Right Triggers are implemented as digital buttons and report either 0 or 0xFF. LB, LSB, RB, and RSB are optional.

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_FLIGHT_STICK
Flight stick controller.
Includes a pitch and roll stick that reports as the Left Stick, a POV Hat which reports as the Right Stick, a rudder (handle twist or rocker) that reports as Left Trigger, and a throttle control as the Right Trigger. Includes support for a primary weapon (A), secondary weapon (B), and other standard buttons (X, Y, START, BACK). LB, LSB, RB, and RSB are optional.

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_DANCE_PAD
Dance pad controller.
Includes the Directional Pad and standard buttons (A, B, X, Y) on the pad, plus BACK and START.

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_GUITAR XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_GUITAR_ALTERNATE XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_GUITAR_BASS
Guitar controller.
The strum bar maps to DPAD (up and down), and the frets are assigned to A (green), B (red), Y (yellow), X (blue), and LB (orange). Right Stick Y is associated with a vertical orientation sensor; Right Stick X is the whammy bar. Includes support for BACK, START, DPAD (left, right). Left Trigger (pickup selector), Right Trigger, RB, LSB (fret modifier), RSB are optional.
Guitar Bass is identical to Guitar, with the distinct subtype to simplify setup.
Guitar Alt supports a larger range of movement for the vertical orientation sensor.

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_DRUM_KIT
Drum controller.
The drum pads are assigned to buttons: A for green (Floor Tom), B for red (Snare Drum), X for blue (Low Tom), Y for yellow (High Tom), and LB for the pedal (Bass Drum). Includes Directional-Pad, BACK, and START. RB, LSB, and RSB are optional.

XINPUT_DEVSUBTYPE_ARCADE_PAD
Arcade pad controller.
Includes Directional Pad and most standard buttons (A, B, X, Y, START, BACK, LB, RB). The Left and Right Triggers are implemented as digital buttons and report either 0 or 0xFF. Left Stick, Right Stick, LSB, and RSB are optional.

Dolken

Neo Member
Gabe just told someone that the best way to get a job at Valve is to create content for the Workshop.

Hopes - Deleted. :(

I think it’s about time I start making some revenue off DOTA. Also, I just installed Chrome and Enhanced Steam works better than ever. I wonder why that is the case.

Gabe just told someone that the best way to get a job at Valve is to create content for the Workshop.

Hopes - Deleted. :(

The best way is not the only way, man :) After all, what they really care about is to see that you have delivered a solid product and that you can iterate well based on feedback by your customers, IIRC. I'm sure you already got those two points covered, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You've done an amazing work with Enhanced Steam, man, but to be honest I just want you to get hired so someone finally does something about the Steam interface. I mean, when are you going to add fucking tabs to the client, Valve?

EDIT: Gabe said this recently:

One of the things you have to do to be successful in our business is to be responsive to reactions that people have. You can give ten people the same set of forum posts and only one of them will actually take it in a productive direction. So the fact that somebody has been able to build something and ship it and not get sort of bogged down and give up and then deal with the gush of responses you get, filter through that in a useful and productive way and iterate is really the core of product design and development in our world. So when you see somebody who has already done that, especially if nobody was teaching or leading them to do that it's a really good sign that they're going to be successful.

Somebody having a PhD from an Ivy League school tells you nothing about whether they're going to be successful in our space. Grades don't tell you anything. Most people who end up being successful have good grades, but it's orthogonal -- there's no extra information than if they put together a website and have bunch of fans who love coming and seeing what they're doing.

The last paragraph really hurts, since I'm close to finishing my Computer Science Engineering degree with a 3.98 GPA and that's the only thing I've done that's worth mentioning :( Maybe in 10 years...

Link

jediyoshi

metro steam skin update

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/metroforsteam#announcements/detail/1894062674383425066

General:
Removed some redundant code that replicates default functions (margin-left=0)
Fixed syntax error in overlay_friendsdetails.layout
Fixed syntax error in settingsdialog.layout
Fixed incorrectly referenced color in overlay_news_item.layout

In-Home Streaming Beta (invite-only, not client beta):
Styled Settings Page

Details View:
Fixed another case of high CPU usage viewing third-party games with a lot of text in the "Game Info" panel

Grid View:
Moved uninstalled indicator to the bottom-right to avoid conflict with games that have longer titles and no game art

Game Info Dialog:
Moved the server name back to sidebar
Fixed map name truncation when viewing server info from the friends list
Changed resizing behavior to allow for better view of long strings (server/map names, etc.)

Phinor

we have to get meta

make a workshop mod for a popular game that turns the game into the steam website with enhanced steam's features

IAP and all

fuck w/me

Well, damn. Now I want First Person Enhanced Steam Shooter. I have a vision of how it looks but I'm quite unable to express my vision. Hopefully someone makes it though, it's incredible!

Grief.exe

NotSelf

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ride 'em Low -- MB-B13191AE8874CBDB - Taken by Kirosia. 4 entrants total.

t1389830300z1.png

tumblr_m1flp07R8E1qgbp1jo1_500.gif

I hated uncharted 1 because:

- every ten feet it was more fucking shooting. it would have been better if i could have used the controller for everything, then just pop on my keyboard/mouse for actual aiming like i do in games like tomb raider, saints row, batman, just cause, etc. bad enough the shooting elements felt like they half assed them.
- not enough actual exploring and seeing of cool vistas. it was just LOOK AT THESE TREE ROOTS AND SHIT. OH and btw there's like ten items here that are really fucking hard to find because you either have to backtrack or they're hidden behind something that doesn't look like you could go there because everything looks like a fucking mush of everything else. Mind your eyes on the jaggies, they're ruthless
- story was retarded garbage, characters were retarded garbage
- not enough actual platforming elements

Tomb raider, after playing UC1, was like a breath of fresh air. It was what the older tomb raiders should have been like (more story driven, less finicky platforming trial and error, good weapons, and good graphics) with mechanics that were appealing from uncharted.

I agree with you on why TR2013 was good, especially compared to older TR games that I've played.

And if you didn't like Uncharted, because "every 10 ft more shooting" and "retarded garbage", you should really stay away from Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3 at least had the option to stealth a lot of the encounters, so that was a plus.

Now, TLoU on the other hand? It showed me that ND knows what they're doing -- they just need to show they can pull it into their already established franchise.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, damn. Now I want First Person Enhanced Steam Shooter. I have a vision of how it looks but I'm quite unable to express my vision. Hopefully someone makes it though, it's incredible!
It's like a Minecraft, but instead of randomly placing cubes you have to add features to the Steam client.

It could be called Enhanced Steam Rising: Rebuildingance.

Copons

Valve's job posting, not sure if it warrants a thread, but they did say at SDD they need hardware and software people

http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

https://twitter.com/Mike_Sart/status/423573107035484161

And btw in the jobs page there are Web Engineer openings since forever (I've been stalking that page for a loooong time, and never got the balls to actually send an application... I mean, if jshackles can't get that job, who am I to even try? :D )

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's like a Minecraft, but instead of randomly placing cubes you have to add features to the Steam client.

It could be called Enhanced Steam Rising: Rebuildingance.

And it would secretly just be a submission platform for Github pull requests. :)

HoosTrax

Did they remove the download "remote control" thingy from the website-based Steam page? You know that thing that let you remotely install things onto another computer that has Steam running. I can't find it on my "all games" tab.
Eh never mind, it was all Windows 8's fault. Apparently "balanced" power configuration (the default) means "put my computer to sleep after 30 min even though it's a desktop and has no battery to run down". Yet another reminder that Microsoft thinks my computer is a tablet.

Eh never mind, it was all Windows 8's fault. Apparently "balanced" power configuration (the default) means "put my computer to sleep after 30 min even though it's a desktop and has no battery to run down". Yet another reminder that Microsoft thinks my computer is a tablet.

I've never actually gotten that to work, even with my power settings configured to not sleep the computer...

MGR:R people:

Are the Blade Wolf and Jetstream Sam DLC Story segments standalone?
That is -- if I'm in the middle of a playthrough on very hard of the core game with Raiden (and indeed I am... eff you very hard, I forgot you exist... I just want my Revengeance mode, dammit!), can I play the DLC story stuff and not have it lose my progress in the main game?

I know I could just possibly lose my progress in the most recent chapter and have to do chapter select... but if I were going for one of those achievements that requires a single playthrough without chapter select, I might not want to disrupt my progress in the main game.

Gvaz

Banned
L9Iiotr.png

Minimal steam skin, with small mode. I don't need the rest of that stupid bullshit over my screen
Hotline Miami has sold, at least, 1 million copies

pseJep4.png

I apparently have hotline miami

I'm never going to play it though. It's sitting here in my list...like bad rats.

kulapik

I just finished Evil Lord 30 (the retro mode, not the neo graphics Hero 30 clone) and I feel I liked it more than Hero 30. That towerdefense-like gameplay, seeing the type of enemy and casting the appropiate monster was very good, I would buy a full game of it. On with Princess 30!

I'm never going to play it though. It's sitting here in my list...like bad rats.

Boo this man!

HoosTrax

I've never actually gotten that to work, even with my power settings configured to not sleep the computer...
Do you mean the remote control thing? It seems to be working fine for me (now that my computer is actually on...).

Although, looking closely at the screenshot, some Valve developer done goofed. (for the non-programmers out there "NaN", "not a number", is usually a bad sign, code-wise)

L9Iiotr.png

Minimal steam skin, with small mode. I don't need the rest of that stupid bullshit over my screen

But... Hotline Miami is a phenomenal game. Why would you (1) never play it or (2) compare it to bad rats? :(

Caerith

Do you mean the remote control thing? It seems to be working fine for me (now that my computer is actually on...).

Although, looking closely at the screenshot, some Valve developer done goofed. (for the non-programmers out there "NaN", "not a number", is usually a bad sign, code-wise)
Nice PC name. Maybe the next version of Enhanced Steam can replace all instances of NaN with, like, a baby harp seal.

Uraizen

Banned
MGR:R people:

Are the Blade Wolf and Jetstream Sam DLC Story segments standalone?
That is -- if I'm in the middle of a playthrough on very hard of the core game with Raiden (and indeed I am... eff you very hard, I forgot you exist... I just want my Revengeance mode, dammit!), can I play the DLC story stuff and not have it lose my progress in the main game?

I know I could just possibly lose my progress in the most recent chapter and have to do chapter select... but if I were going for one of those achievements that requires a single playthrough without chapter select, I might not want to disrupt my progress in the main game.

Yes, it overwrites your checkpoint in very hard. As far as I know, there are no achievements that require a straight playthrough except for the DLC ones.

Yes, it overwrites your checkpoint in very hard. As far as I know, there are no achievements that require a straight playthrough except for the DLC ones.

I feared it might because I noticed the two red squares at the end of the chapter select after R07...

I'm not sure if the Amateur Radio Operator one does or not, but I know for a fact that the one for the Humanoid Dwarf Gekkos does:

b1781f318f037652d3f7ff4f3caeff4ae07f46cd.jpg
Tearing Away the Disguise

Pain in my ass -- got it on my hard run because I started jumping backwards in chapter select to grab data stores and left arms I missed... you have to run R02 - R07 in order without chapter select on 1 playthrough (and find/destroy all 4 of them) to get it.

Seems like I should blast through Very Hard and finish up those 3 VR missions I loathe before I try Sam or Wolf.

Which do you recommend playing first? Is there a specific difficulty I should start on, Uraizen Sensei?

Grief.exe

I feared it might because I noticed the two red squares at the end of the chapter select after R07...

I'm not sure if the Amateur Radio Operator one does or not, but I know for a fact that the one for the Humanoid Dwarf Gekkos does:

b1781f318f037652d3f7ff4f3caeff4ae07f46cd.jpg
Tearing Away the Disguise

Pain in my ass -- got it on my hard run because I started jumping backwards in chapter select to grab data stores and left arms I missed... you have to run R02 - R07 in order without chapter select on 1 playthrough (and find/destroy all 4 of them) to get it.

Seems like I should blast through Very Hard and finish up those 3 VR missions I loathe before I try Sam or Wolf.

Which do you recommend playing first? Is there a specific difficulty I should start on, Uraizen Sensei?

Those two achievements essentially require a full play through.

I'll see how I feel after going through the DLC content.

Hotline Miami is amazing. Finished it on PS3 and then on PC, I rarely replay games but this was worth it.

Agree.
I played on PC... it didn't really click for me.
I played on Vita and the touch to lock-on made it click.
I reinstalled once my new PC was built with the intent of going back for another run through at some point.

Those two achievements essentially require a full play through.

I'll see how I feel after going through the DLC content.

I'm not sure if Amateur Radio Operator is cumulative, but it might be -- I wasn't as diligent about getting the conversations as I was on PS3 and thus didn't get it on my first play through -- it popped on my hard playthrough after the 1st fight in R04 and I probably got 99% of them that time (forgot to get the battle where the gekko first shows up, so I missed a few).

The humanoid one... it's the only one I know of that FOR SURE requires a continuous playthrough without chapter select. The first one shows up in R02 and the last one is at the beginning of R07 -- considering how short R05 and R06 can be... it's not *that* long to make a run on it, but it is annoying.

Luckily, I love the game, so I'm on playthrough 3 (very hard, since I screwed up and played on normal to start this time around). And I'll probably eventually get the S-Rank Revengeance mode achievement, so that's another 1 on top of that. If you count 2013 and 2014, I've played through the game at least 5 times already, plus chapter select, VR missions, etc. Unfortunately that also means I'm going to have to do VR missions 17, 18, and 19 again. Damn it all to Hell.

--

Hmmm... time to be generous again. I can't promise the keys work... but I think they do.
They're from my old SteamKeys.txt file where I was hoarding repeat keys for friends... these have been left over for quite awhile now... but hey, someone might want 'em.
And stay tuned, I may have an Origin game to give away... and I may decide to go get some more things to raffle too. :D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Kung Fu Strike -- MB-53CF5DE4112AB982 - Taken by Santini. 11 entrants total.
Nightsky #2 -- MB-CDBC2A0C3338326A - Taken by NotSelf. 1 entrants total.
Nightsky -- MB-CEFA8097932892D1 - Taken by MisterLuffy. 1 entrants total.
Beat Hazard -- MB-5F1C91C2B3AB74DF - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 7 entrants total.

t1389843530z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Thanks for the heads up. When this happens, Enhanced Steam is going to get a lot more complicated when dealing with this sort of thing.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It crashed my browser, but saw some good ones just before it did.

That's usually what happens when I tell you to load 300+ gifs at once.

Pretty cool if you have the RAM though: You can also click on the images to get to the message where it's featured.

A couple weeks months ago I was bored and looking at the perl script I did to extract unique avatars from gaf and made one to extract unique gifs. It doesn't actually extracts anything per say, but makes a .html with links to all of them. And yes, I'm stealing all of the bandwidth from where they were originally posted from.

Uraizen

Banned

Those are for the DLC.

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/235460/b1781f318f037652d3f7ff4f3caeff4ae07f46cd.jpg[IMG]Tearing Away the Disguise

Pain in my ass -- got it on my hard run because I started jumping backwards in chapter select to grab data stores and left arms I missed... you have to run R02 - R07 in order without chapter select on 1 playthrough (and find/destroy all 4 of them) to get it.[/QUOTE]

Hrm, I didn't have the humanoid gekkos in mind. I thought it worked like the data chips, left arms, and MiBs. I would just find them and beat R-07 again to get the rewards for finding them. As for the codecs... I forgot that was even an achievement.

[quote="corrosivefrost, post: 97262339"]Seems like I should blast through Very Hard and finish up those 3 VR missions I loathe before I try Sam or Wolf.

Which do you recommend playing first? Is there a specific difficulty I should start on, Uraizen Sensei?[/QUOTE]

What VR missions? I posted a good write up on VR mission 18 in the MGR thread.

Eh, Hard for sam is a lot harder than Hard for Raiden, so that's up to you. Bladewolf takes a ton more damage easily, even on Hard. So just go with whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom