• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest problem with the PC version was doing the daily challenges on the Uplay servers. They're terrible, sometimes I couldn't even play them because the servers were down. And if you want to hit level 11, you don't have an option, you have to play them.

And I did it for over a hundred days!

Now I'm playing Rayman Origins on my Vita. I think I'll go after that platinum trophy :p

Rayman Origins -- if it had achievements on Steam, I'd 100% it a third time. :)
Enjoy it. It's better than Legends, IMO.

hey GFWL randomly decided to work tonight so come tomorrow I'm going to play the ever living fuck out of fallout 3.

I'm pretty excited.
I'm pretty sure you can move the DLCs out of their GFWL folders and into the main one and then not even need to use GFWL. . . I'm not sure since I haven't bothered with that yet :x

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Argentina left in the cold, nice. I guess I'll keep not buying anything, sadly.
Probably "ARS 660" for new releases doesn't look too nice, lol

Yeah I know, that's the blue dollar (aka illegal, aka the only one most people can acquire here). Even then, "ARS 500" still looks like too much.

Man, our currency is worth jack shit.

I'm all the way against "It already gives you achievements so it doesn't need to give you anything in game" though. I could not possibly care less about achievements, I much prefer in-game rewards.

*shrug* I just don't see what in-game rewards Valdis Story could offer for doing well on bosses, aside from maybe some cool art. As long as it doesn't affect progress I'm cool with anything.

Ravensword: Shadowlands is probably a big deal on smartphones because there are very few games with that kind of scale. On the PC however it's just a very poor man's Oblivion/Skyrim.

Tales of Maj'Eyal seems like a solid roguelike. It's extremely frustrating getting 2-shotted by spellcasters though.

Ballpoint Universe: Infinite gets by on its unique art-style. The actual game portion is apparently an extremely bland 2D shooter.

Grief.exe

I got every single achievement in Rayman Legends PC last week. Took me 54 hours.

kocWIXF.jpg

To bad It's an Uplay game, would love to have that 100% on my Steam account.

Rayman Origins -- if it had achievements on Steam, I'd 100% it a third time. :)
Enjoy it. It's better than Legends, IMO.

If Rayman Legends ditched Uplay I would actually buy it.

Origins is a nice game to have for the coop, and Uplay-free.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think this key works. If it doesn't, sorry.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Delve Deeper -- MB-4A66185B2DECA187 - Taken by bronson

denx

I played Rayman Origins until the end of the second world. It was fun at first, but the platforming physics always felt off for me, somewhat floaty. The collectathon aspect of it also annoyed me and slowly eroded the fun I was having with the game. By the end of the second world I felt like I had enough and dropped the game.

What little I've played of Rayman Legends on demos I've really liked. Platforming feels tighter and level design seems to be better and more fun. Hopefully that extends to the rest of the game.

I'm bored, so I present to you: Unique GIFs (animated or not) posted on this thread so far (307):

http://minhafilhavemca.com/links.html

I should curse you thank you for crashing my browser.

There's a NightSky key left here:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nightsky -- MB-CEFA8097932892D1

t1389843530z1.png

Hmmm... time to be generous again. I can't promise the keys work... but I think they do.
They're from my old SteamKeys.txt file where I was hoarding repeat keys for friends... these have been left over for quite awhile now... but hey, someone might want 'em.
And stay tuned, I may have an Origin game to give away... and I may decide to go get some more things to raffle too. :D

Thanks for Night Sky :)

Giever

People may already know about this, and maybe it's not the best spot to put it, but I can't make my own threads, so: there's some kind of clearance sale going on at the Microsoft Store. They're physical games, not all of them with steam codes, and a lot of the games were sold out, plus I had to use Internet Explorer to be able to successfully make my purchase, but I was able to get Arkham Origins for $15, so people should check it if they have interest in any of the titles!

http://holiday.microsoftstore.com/s....80?Icid=Xbox360Games_Spot_6_Clearnace_122513

Caerith

So, I played the demo of Loren the Amazon Princess. The fixed resolution isn't so bad (same as LLTQ's, looks fine fullscreen) and the censorship can apparently be gotten around by loading your save in the demo, toggling it, then resuming in the Steam version (which only removed the toggle, not the assets). The gameplay itself is alright-- visual novel with a focus on character development and relationships + RPG with a battle system that has potential. The writing so far is more RPG than visual novel, so interpret that as you will. Overall, I'd recommend this game... if it wasn't so expensive.

Maybe in the summer sale it'll hit $6.75 (-75% for $20 game + $7 expansion), but in the meantime, if you have $27 burning a hole in your pocket, buy Long Live the Queen and $17 worth of chocolates.

Tizoc

So, I played the demo of Loren the Amazon Princess. The fixed resolution isn't so bad (same as LLTQ's, looks fine fullscreen) and the censorship can apparently be gotten around by loading your save in the demo, toggling it, then resuming in the Steam version (which only removed the toggle, not the assets). The gameplay itself is alright-- visual novel with a focus on character development and relationships + RPG with a battle system that has potential. The writing so far is more RPG than visual novel, so interpret that as you will. Overall, I'd recommend this game... if it wasn't so expensive.

Maybe in the summer sale it'll hit $6.75 (-75% for $20 game + $7 expansion), but in the meantime, if you have $27 burning a hole in your pocket, buy Long Live the Queen and $17 worth of chocolates.

Or save that $17 for future sales or dailies, I'm sure he average Steam GAFfer can go on (6 months) without needing to eat chocolate (or anything for that matter).

*right click, save*

Ugh need to remember to save this when I get home.

Eternia

Bleahhhh
Giving up on Valdis Story.
Boss-fights are just way too much of a grind. I'm max level but apparently my build is too shit to do anything more than chip damage to the late-game (optional?) bosses. The fights go on far too long, and I'm not going to get any meaningful rewards unless I get a high rank.

Seriously, the whole "get better stat-ups with a better rank" idea rubs me the wrong way. The stat-ups should be guaranteed. The incentives to do better are already there in the form of achievements.

Anyway I'm not much in the mood for re-doing 6 hours of progress just to move a few stat-points around, so I'm going to call it a wash.

The sad part is that I've put 5 hours into the game and have only gotten 6 achievements. You'd think a game with that many would be a tinge more generous with them.
You can reset skills (and stats from the new patch) by
Mesmer in Tagrum Village, he's in the room by the east exit above the elder.
I didn't mind stats being bonuses since the game isn't too tough unless you're going for S ranks. If you're doing too little damage against the optional bosses, do you have either Weighted Bracelets or Teachings of the Life Blade? Those seem to help greatly, preferably the latter.

I love Valdis Story (Haven't finished it myself though, lost my save, started Dark Souls, haven't looked back since) but I'm conflicted on that part of it. You get SO MUCH extra experience from getting an A/S rank on a boss, and on top of that you practically get the benefits of an extra level from the stat boosts it gives.

I like how challenging the combat is, it's a nice change of pace for this type of game. Guacamelee had fun combat and the platforming got pretty tricky, but aside from one boss the enemies didn't really pose a problem and you never needed the levels to do well. Unfortunately Valdis Story seems like you can really screw yourself over by leveling up poorly and there's no respec, and there's no way to try a boss again for a better score to get the bonus you missed (unless you just quit and load from your last save). It's nice to give a bonus for performing well but playing poorly early in general punishes you so much that it's hard to catch up even if you get better at the game. Even before I lost my save I started a new game because I felt like I made bad choices leveling and that second go was a lot easier once I got to the same spot where I got stuck, mostly because of my leveling choices.

I'm all the way against "It already gives you achievements so it doesn't need to give you anything in game" though. I could not possibly care less about achievements, I much prefer in-game rewards.
Although some bosses seem to save immediately after defeating them, a good number allow you to retry after seeing your grade by quitting to the main menu and selecting the retry option (or retry mid-fight at any point). Also stat reset information above!

Ban Puncher

Is Amazon still following up with their promise of adding the missing Darksiders 2 DLC to customers who bought the Freyja's Bundle or should I just buy it now whilst it's on sale for fifty cents?

frogg609

just as an FYI, it looks like the Deus Ex Director's cut is now adjusting price appropriately if you have the original version and the Missing Link DLC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Adding Canadian currency support will amount to a massive price raise for Canadians. We'll be stuck with tax (13%). And that's assuming it doesn't impact prices, which it will.

Grief.exe

Although some bosses seem to save immediately after defeating them, a good number allow you to retry after seeing your grade by quitting to the main menu and selecting the retry option (or retry mid-fight at any point). Also stat reset information above!

I actually had the most fun in Rising while retrying bosses for better scores. Of course, the boss fights are far and away the best part of that game.

Valdis is sounding better and better.

man if rising has cards i'd probably think about collecting them, damn it PG!

I would craft a badge.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Double Fine said:
Alright, so talking to dude in charge, the soundtrack is not being distributed through steam but through the humble page, so that's where you can download it from

Pfft. There is absolutely no reason why $30+ backers shouldn't receive the Soundtrack Edition on Steam. Fix this shit, Chris.

Sober

So other than MGR I have been kinda stuck playing Super Metroid and finally finished it (without collecting all the missile or health upgrades) the other day. Not sure what to do next. I was maybe thinking of finally installing Lords of Shadow but having never played Castlevania and I bought a copy of Order of Ecclesia I have been told that should be where I go first.

Great, so here I go thinking I should play the games I bought.
not crazy at all guys

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Pfft. There is absolutely no reason why $30+ backers shouldn't receive the Soundtrack Edition on Steam. Fix this shit, Chris.

I was on the $30 tier and I got the OST on Steam, so... I don't get it?

Edit: Oh, it's gone from the DLC list. Oh well.

Random Games for Windows Marketplace question: can anyone actually open the client and access their previous purchases? I was going to take a look at what I had bought and start downloading everything in preparation for GFWL disappearing later this year, but I can't even get the client to run--it just tells me it can't connect and oh hey maybe you should contact your Internet service provider. Yeah, Microsoft, I'll go do that. Just wondering if anyone else was able to log in or if by some twist of ineptitude Microsoft took down all the Marketplace servers despite telling everyone they could still download their old purchases after they stopped selling games on GFWL Marketplace.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
RPS article says steam will eventually get movies to support the living room initiative... Movies on steam with sales would be amazing...ly dangerous for my wallet

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Random Games for Windows Marketplace question: can anyone actually open the client and access their previous purchases? I was going to take a look at what I had bought and start downloading everything in preparation for GFWL disappearing later this year, but I can't even get the client to run--it just tells me it can't connect and oh hey maybe you should contact your Internet service provider. Yeah, Microsoft, I'll go do that. Just wondering if anyone else was able to log in or if by some twist of ineptitude Microsoft took down all the Marketplace servers despite telling everyone they could still download their old purchases after they stopped selling games on GFWL Marketplace.

Uninstall client
Download latest client
If you have a complex password or two-factor auth, generate a per-app password.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was on the $30 tier and I got the OST on Steam, so... I don't get it?

Edit: Oh, it's gone from the DLC list. Oh well.

The reason for that is Double Fine only made one backer sub, rather than one for <$30 backers and another inclusive of the OST. I'm going to PM Chris but unfortunately I don't see anything changing due to the egregious oversight. Situations like this are exactly why I don't bother backing successful Kickstarters anymore -- I wouldn't have pledged $30 if I knew that I would've been asked to buy the game again just to get the soundtrack on Steam.

denx

RPS article says steam will eventually get movies to support the living room initiative... Movies on steam with sales would be amazing...ly dangerous for my wallet

Yeah, it was reported that the guys at Valve were saying something like that during the Steam Dev Days, that they want to expand Steam and SteamOS to support movies, TV series and music as well. Someone said on another thread Breaking Bad at 2 dollars in Steam sale, and I started salivating.

Levyne

Banned
So other than MGR I have been kinda stuck playing Super Metroid and finally finished it (without collecting all the missile or health upgrades) the other day. Not sure what to do next. I was maybe thinking of finally installing Lords of Shadow but having never played Castlevania and I bought a copy of Order of Ecclesia I have been told that should be where I go first.

Great, so here I go thinking I should play the games I bought.
not crazy at all guys

I played LoS in the last month as my first in the series and then SotN last week at the demand of a couple friends that insisted I play a real Castlevania game. The short result is that I really liked both. Los is a little long in the tooth, though.

The reason for that is Double Fine only made one backer sub, rather than one for <$30 backers and another inclusive of the OST. I'm going to PM Chris but unfortunately I don't see anything changing due to the egregious oversight. Situations like this are exactly why I don't bother backing successful Kickstarters anymore -- I wouldn't have pledged $30 if I knew that I would've been asked to buy the game again just to get the soundtrack on Steam.

I'm confused, why on earth would you want the soundtrack via STEAM of all places? The Humble page has MP3, FLAC and WAV downloads already. Every soundtrack DLC I've purchased on Steam has just dumped a bunch of MP3s in a folder somewhere in the game's steamapps directory--as far as I can tell there isn't even a facility to play them via the Steam client.

Anteater

dude behind Bad Rats better start using his profit to fund his first bad rats movie to prepare for the launch

mannerbot

I'm confused, why on earth would you want the soundtrack via STEAM of all places? The Humble page has MP3, FLAC and WAV downloads already. Every soundtrack DLC I've purchased on Steam has just dumped a bunch of MP3s in a folder somewhere in the game's steamapps directory--as far as I can tell there isn't even a facility to play them via the Steam client.

Do you know who JaseC is? lol

Do you know who JaseC is? lol

Heh, well, I thought I'd ask anyways. If that's all it is, then carry on!

Uninstall client
Download latest client
If you have a complex password or two-factor auth, generate a per-app password.

Seems to be working! Stupid Games for Windows installer, it was all "oh I see you already have it installed, no need to install anything!" What a dum-dum. Thanks!

denx

1378631808783.jpg

^ beaten lol

About the music thing, that is probably going to change rather soon if Valve decides to carry on with what they've been teasing in their conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom