• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

1) Not using their account? Are we still talking about Steam? Assuming it was shared remotely, does not implicating another account involve explicitly handing out those account details so they could complete the share process?

2) Again, you're not being specific here. Obviously Valve is able to monitor their own system, but to what extent is something a "Steam user" and when is it an "alt account"? They tracked those people by looking at very specific, tangible patterns. What are those patterns in terms of making throw away accounts? Accounts that own a few games in their account versus none?

3) You don't think it's reasonable to give a sensible rationale behind your logic when the things you're proposing make the system worse across the entire board as a result? Your solution instead of the current is either dropping sharing altogether or further forsaking the integrity of online matches by letting people who are already hacking assuredly get away just a few more times before they're cut off. You don't see there being a net negative in terms of how people are served when larger amounts of people are affected in the actual game itself?

4) Is it more or less important than users who should be aware of consequences when opening their accounts to sharing?
Are you seriously defending valve banning users for sharing there accounts to others that get vac banned? Because that seems wrong if so.

liezryou

Are you seriously defending valve banning users for sharing there accounts to others that get vac banned? Because thats pretty pathetic

No, it's not. It's there to prevent you from family sharing with random people on the internet. You have to be careful with who you share.

I don't necessary agree with valve's decision, but i can see why it was done. It's one of those necessary precautions. But calling someone pathetic because they have a different opinion then you? What are we 5?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
1) Not using their account? Are we still talking about Steam? Assuming it was shared remotely, does not implicating another account involve explicitly handing out those account details so they could complete the share process?

2) Again, you're not being specific here. Obviously Valve is able to monitor their own system, but to what extent is something a "Steam user" and when is it an "alt account"? They tracked those people by looking at very specific, tangible patterns. What are those patterns in terms of making throw away accounts? Accounts that own a few games in their account versus none?

3) You don't think it's reasonable to give a sensible rationale behind your logic when the things you're proposing make the system worse across the entire board as a result? Your solution instead of the current is either dropping sharing altogether or further forsaking the integrity of online matches by letting people who are already hacking assuredly get away just a few more times before they're cut off. You don't see there being a net negative in terms of how people are served when larger amounts of people are affected in the actual game itself?

4) Is it more or less important than users who should be aware of consequences when opening their accounts to sharing?

1) No it doesn't imply that. Software exists to use someone's PC remotely to log into your own account and authorize the machine. They never log into your account or know your account details. When they play your game later they are logged into their own account. The person borrowed your game, not your Steam account; they should still be responsible for their actions.

The actual equivalent you've been looking for is lending someone your copy of a PS3/360 game and they play it on their own account and their own console, but because it is your game you get punished for their cheating.

2) Valve can tell a unique user playing my games vs me playing my games on various alt accounts. They have access to this information. Even Evilore, to a lesser extent due to Valve's resources, has access to this information and regularly bans alt accounts. Continuing to act obtuse is your own thing.

3) My logic is punishing the actual cheater, which if I may say very much exceeds the logic of punishing the person who may or may not be the cheater across the board in all cases as a preventative measure. It's the same logic most justice systems are based on. If Valve won't put forth the effort to do that then don't have the program; they're fully capable of it.

To add to that, VAC banning me has no effect on the actual cheater; they can go and cheat in someone else's copy of the game when they no longer have access to mine. How's that for logic?

4) I'm sorry your question makes no sense, but I'll say it's extremely important for the actual cheaters to be punished. "Users being aware of consequences when opening their accounts to sharing" has no effect on whether cheaters will cheat. You're championing the Family Sharing program then asking people not to use it by being paranoid of the consequences it may cause to themselves.

Mr_Elysia

No, it's not. It's there to prevent you from family sharing with random people on the internet. You have to be careful with who you share.

I don't necessary agree with valve's decision, but i can see why it was done. It's one of those necessary precautions. But calling someone pathetic because they have a different opinion then you? What are we 5?

A necessary precaution might be something like disallowing that account from sharing. Not putting a strike against that account in addition to the offending person. That's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Caerith

B2EB2B78B89330BE301D6E0B25D37B0F96A77A03
>.>

Hentai garbage

Yeah, LLTQ is one of the worst hentai games out there. I mean, there are barely any tentacle monsters.

yuraya

Amazon sure does have a hard on for EA in those editors choice.

Contrast went from 11.99 to 14.99 and Xcom collection isn't $9.99 anymore its $59.99.

BleakDifficultChipmunk.gif

disappointed with amazon. gona sit this one out for a couple of weeks maybe something will change before the discounts expire.

Wok

A necessary precaution might be something like disallowing that account from sharing. Not putting a strike against that account in addition to the offending person. That's throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

This is actually clever: just remove the Family sharing property of the main account.

liezryou

That's more of a personal opinion; In that you would rather have your account sharing banned then having a VAC ban. Not sure everyone would say the same.

In essence, both ways (sharing and VAC ban) would deter situations such as a person trying to come up with a hack for a game, so he shares the game with several alt accounts for testing. Valve just chose the latter and not the former. Why? The world will never know >.<.

kulapik

Mornin' reminder:

So, I have 5 euros burning on my Steam Wallet, so I wondered I would do a giveaway. But because I don't know what to giveaway, I'll let you decide!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19CKoBAoCOPwi2vdix8EGWS_pmZ6-epxrLoldqfl-i4U/viewform

Introduce there your GAF username and the game you would want. If I can get it cheaper than 5&#8364;, I'll make a giveaway for it. It doesn't have to be on the Steam Store, I can trade keys for it so from russian traders or thanks to other websites might be cheaper.

I'll let this form 24 hours so y'all can answer it, and I'll try to do reminders.

mrgone

Contrast went from 11.99 to 14.99 and Xcom collection isn't $9.99 anymore its $59.99.

BleakDifficultChipmunk.gif

disappointed with amazon. gona sit this one out for a couple of weeks maybe something will change before the discounts expire.

Contrast was $3 during GMG's sale, so it'd probably be best to wait on that one anyways

PriitV

I was totally going to get Contrast for 6 or 7 bux, but now it has left a sour taste in my mouth. Tony, we believed in you!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
This is actually clever: just remove the Family sharing property of the main account.

It's already a part of the policy and certainly sufficient punishment for the original sharer, though it still doesn't address why they're being punished if they're not the one doing anything wrong and does nothing to ban the actual cheater.

Valve insists on adding that you can also be VAC banned to it, though:

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?
Your Family Sharing privileges may be revoked and your account may even be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating or fraud. We recommend you only authorize familiar Steam accounts and familiar computers you know to be secure. And as always, never give your password to anyone.

That's more of a personal opinion; In that you would rather have your account sharing banned then having a VAC ban. Not sure everyone would say the same.

In essence, both ways (sharing and VAC ban) would deter situations such as a person trying to come up with a hack for a game, so he shares the game with several alt accounts for testing. Valve just chose the latter and not the former. Why? The world will never know >.<.

Both can happen (and likely in conjunction) as seen in the policy quote above, with revoking Family Sharing privileges actually being the more likely to be a first course of action judging by the language.

maneil99

was a bit harsh, intense csgo game

Wok

Just for the record, this is what SteamGAF has been playing for the past two weeks.

cSyvcsm.jpg

It's already a part of the policy and certainly sufficient punishment for the original sharer, though it still doesn't address why they're being punished if they're not the one doing anything wrong and does nothing to ban the actual cheater.

Okay then.

was a bit harsh, intense csgo game

It confirms video games increase violence (of speech at least).

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Thought about using my $5 Amazon promotional credit on Crysis 3, but it requires Origin...

Is Bioshock Infinite worth $5 for somebody that hasn't played any Bioshock? I must add that I'm planning to play the games in this order:

System Shock 2
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Banner Saga comes out in a couple weeks, the artstyle is very appealing. Anyone played the free multiplayer mode here? I'm looking for some experiences with the game.

is this the full game or early access thing? I had no idea it was coming this soon

wetflame

Pizza Dog
First day after the Steam Sale, time to actually play some games. Might try to finish Guacamelee, might try to get past the second stage of Spelunky, will probably play lots of Risk of Rain instead. So good.

Jawmuncher

The only people who can hate on LLTQ are people who haven't played it.
Game isn't Hentai in the slightest. The most you could argue is the Lumen Outfit (The main one that gets shown off) is a bit short. But it's not like they ever show anything. The squid image just above that I saw during my playthrough is about as "hentai" as it gets. But even that is only referring to a letter that someone wrote about the princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom