• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryne

is this the full game or early access thing? I had no idea it was coming this soon

Full game, Fractions was released last February, but it does seem kinda quick right?

I haven't played Fractions because it seemed to be multiplayer/online only, while I'm mostly a SP type gamer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
playing the Ghostbusters game put me in a mood to rewatch the movies. Man I was 5 when the first one came out, no wonder I was terrified of the demon dogs in that :(

Jawmuncher

Speaking of Papers Please I need to get back on it and complete the story mode,
If I keep having trouble I might just go and throw it on Easy. Since I find the setting and what the game is trying to invoke more than the gamplay itself.

Also to me it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity that you don't interact with your family after work. Think that would have added more to the game rather than just clicking if you want them to have heat and the like.

kulapik

Ok, who was the funny one that put Bad Rats on my form and by my name? -.-

So, I have 5 euros burning on my Steam Wallet, so I wondered I would do a giveaway. But because I don't know what to giveaway, I'll let you decide!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19C...xrLoldqfl-i4U/viewform#start=publishanalytics

Introduce there your GAF username and the game you would want. If I can get it cheaper than 5€, I'll make a giveaway for it. It doesn't have to be on the Steam Store, I can trade keys for it so from russian traders or thanks to other websites might be cheaper.

I'll let this form 24 hours so y'all can answer it, and I'll try to do reminders.

Copons

Speaking of Papers Please I need to get back on it and complete the story mode,
If I keep having trouble I might just go and throw it on Easy. Since I find the setting and what the game is trying to invoke more than the gamplay itself.

Also to me it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity that you don't interact with your family after work. Think that would have added more to the game rather than just clicking if you want them to have heat and the like.

I must say that most of Papers Please appeal is the constant, psychologically intensive, pressure you're subdued every day.
Switching to easy would probably let you enjoy more the plot (like, I was barely able to read the dialogues and I'm sure I missed lots of interesting stories), but at the cost of enjoying less the game per se.

It's my opinion, of course, but I don't know... It seems like playing Dark Souls on easy: most of the appeal would vanish, wouldn't it?

It was, during the steam sale :( Wait for GFWL to be removed, it will get a sale like Batman Arkham

It was on multiple sales too (that Bethesda sale at GetGamesGo or was it Gamefly at least), but I decided to skip it because of GFWL, it's the only Fallout I don't own.

Slyjss

I was only interested in one deal of the Amazon Editor's Choice (the XCOM Collection) and they change the price from 10 to 60 dollars. Not cool Amazon. NOT. COOL. The only decent deals are Dead Space 3 and Bioshock Infinite for 5 dollars each (but I already own both) and Enemy Within for 10 (useless without Enemy Unknown)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
How is the Secret World for 7$?

Not really sure how to review it. Mostly because it's reminded me that I don't really care for MMORPGs and it has all the MMORPG things I don't care for; sterile worlds filled with clones, with no way to meaningfully interact with or impact the world in any meaningful sense.

On the other hand it delivers beautifully on the strengths I bought it for in the first place, namely monster designs and lore. And surprisingly, good voice acting.

I wish I lived in an alternate reality where it had been built from the ground up as a single player game. It's like a Western made Shin Megami Tensei.

Not really sure what to say about the gameplay, it's apparently a lot like World of Warcraft. Combat is done with a hotbar of seven active skills and seven passive skills. There are quest lines that require puzzle solving, but I haven't really been blown away by any of them.

PROS: Gorgeous art direction, varied critter design, good writing, good voice acting.
CONS: It's a MMORPG.

derExperte

I was only interested in one deal of the Amazon Editor's Choice (the XCOM Collection) and they change the price from 10 to 60 dollars. Not cool Amazon. NOT. COOL. The only decent deals are Dead Space 3 and Bioshock Infinite for 5 dollars each (but I already own both) and Enemy Within for 10 (useless without Enemy Unknown)

Crysis 3 5$ is acceptable too but right now those offers are useless for me.

Jawmuncher

I must say that most of Papers Please appeal is the constant, psychologically intensive, pressure you're subdued every day.
Switching to easy would probably let you enjoy more the plot (like, I was barely able to read the dialogues and I'm sure I missed lots of interesting stories), but at the cost of enjoying less the game per se.

It's my opinion, of course, but I don't know... It seems like playing Dark Souls on easy: most of the appeal would vanish, wouldn't it?

True. I guess it would depend on how I went about it.
If anything after I finish Valdis i'll try out easy mode and see how I like it.

Li Kao

Hello my dear SteamGAF ! And a happy new year to you all !!!
Sorry if I've been more than sparse these last few weeks, the thread is usually hard to follow because of its speed, but in a Steam sale ? No way !
And my dad got out of the hospital... to re-enter it two days later ! Let's hope it's a remnant of the most shitty 2013 and not a 2014 thing (for whom that might ask, he is well, thank god).

On another note, is this a really bad joke or is this really the Amazon editor's sale were we are meant to spend our coupons ? http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On another note, is this a really bad joke or is this really the Amazon editor's sale were we are meant to spend our coupons ? http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511

More items will be added as the sale progresses (it runs until the end of the month, although not all discounts are valid for the full few weeks). I'd use one of my credit batches for Enemy Within if Amazon accepted PayPal.

Thorgal

Never really noticed this But the files of pre-loaded games do not appear in your Steam directory .

This is normal right ?

Vazduh

Is Fallout 3 GOTY edition anywhere anymore for 5 bucks or something around that

It's still 2.25 € @ ubistore (steam key) with '10thanks' promo code. Don't know if it works in US, but it should. If not, ask someone from Europe to buy it for you because you won't find it anywhere cheaper than here.

mrgone

Jørdan;95816347 said:
Fucking hell, dat EA. Editor needs to choose again.

I think it was similar last year with different publisher's collections being added (and removed?) during the course of the sale. There's still hope, anyways :)

Lain

It's still 2.25 € @ ubistore (steam key) with '10thanks' promo code. Don't know if it works in US, but it should. If not, ask someone from Europe to buy it for you because you won't find it anywhere cheaper than here.

I'm guessing it doesn't, but asking is better. Can that be redeemed on steam or only usable through uplay? Friend I'm trying to convince to buy it wants to know.

Giran

I think it was similar last year with different publisher's collections being added (and removed?) during the course of the sale. There's still hope, anyways :)

Last year's was a far better selection even without those 2-3 late additions it got. This one is pretty disappointing.

mrgone

Last year's was a far better selection even without those 2-3 late additions it got. This one is pretty disappointing.

Yeah, I think last year's Editor's Choice sale was where I picked up Dark Souls, right at the start. Nothing on that level this time around so far.

JaseC

It was 75% off over at Amazon about a year ago, but other than that, no. I'm hoping King Kong and Tintin eventually follow Anno 1404 to Steam (I mentioned both apps in the e-mail I sent to Ubi about six weeks ago but they're still yet to be touched).

How is it compared to the console ver.?

Favourably, assuming the Gamer's Edition re-release (a port of the X360 version; the original release was a lazy "last-gen" port). As I said yesterday (or was it the day before?), I'm surprised the game is still being sold given it's almost a decade old.

derFeef

Juap, game looks dope on PC.

11750878074_322c9c0b18_o.gif

11751364456_c1773ea63a_o.gif

I tried the texmod for the noise filter but it did not work :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
1 down, 2 to go for the 3 in January thing

Jawmuncher

It was 75% off over at Amazon about a year ago, but other than that, no. I'm hoping King Kong and Tintin eventually follow Anno 1404 to Steam (I mentioned both apps in the e-mail I sent to Ubi about six weeks ago but they're still yet to be touched).

Favourably, assuming the Gamer's Edition re-release (a port of the X360 version; the original release was a lazy "last-gen" port). As I said yesterday (or was it the day before?), I'm surprised the game is still being sold given it's almost a decade old.

King Kong was one of my favorite games last gen.
I'd be all for it if it popped back up on steam. Really liked how they went with immersion with no crosshairs and the like.

JaseC

King Kong was one of my favorite games last gen.
I'd be all for it if it popped back up on steam. Really liked how they went with immersion with no crosshairs and the like.

I've never played the game. :( In fact, I had no idea it was an FPS until just last year, haha.

SparkTR

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KK/peter-jacksons-king-kong-the-official-game-of-the-movie
Has the King Kong game ever gone on sale?
How is it compared to the console ver.?

Also...after buying a few things from steam, it told me there were 2 new items in my inventory. I go there and see it was trying to give me 2 snow globes o_O
They didn't appear in my main inventory though so I assume they were a glitch from Steam.

It's fantastic, a port of the 360 version which used to be nigh impossible to find on PC until Gamers Gate got a hold of it (all retail versions were the PS2 port). Use FXAA or downsample and it should be all good.

Jawmuncher

I've never played the game. :( In fact, I had no idea it was an FPS until just last year, haha.

If it pops up on steam you need to.
It's not even very long but it's everything a Movie Licensed Game should be.
Can't blame you for not knowing it was an FPS. Had a few people on release shun the game since they thought you only played as Kong.

ArjanN

I picked Nightmare for both I&II and I'm intending to do the same for Oath. RIP bumping, you were kinda cool but also somewhat annoying

More like RIP thesaucetastic.

Nightmare is pretty aptly named if you're not familiar with Oath. One of the few games where I wouldn't recommend starting on the hardest difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom