• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
How else would they deal with ban evading if people could just make new accounts and then get reauthorized from the same sharer's account?

By punishing the users who engage in that behavior? If they ban evade, when Valve sees that they've made multiple alt accounts linked to their original, at that time, VAC ban the primary account that's sharing. Not by punishing legit users who just shared with a friend and their friend was an idiot, downloaded something they shouldn't have or whatever. It shouldn't be possible to be VAC banned on my account from afar when someone is not even logged into my account.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I just heard that if you share your library with someone through Family Sharing, and they get a VAC ban while playing one of your games, it will be a VAC ban on your account. True?

If so that's pretty fucked up and inexcusable. They're playing the game from their account, not yours. Not nearly the same as someone logging into your actual account and getting a VAC ban, which I can understand. I seriously hope it's not true because that would make me never want to share my library with anyone, except maybe my boyfriend, and I will be revoking a couple of people.

(This was mentioned vaguely in a recent Family Sharing announcement, then when I asked in the comments someone "confirmed" it.)

Edit: It's true. LOL. Fuck you Valve.
well I guess they want it so that people can't just create an account, lend themselves a game and cheat on the throwaway account

maybe you can contest the vac claims or something

start deleting some games! man. I hope all games make use of Steam Cloud rather than saving my gamesaves to some obscure part of the HD
actually it's only like 200 gigs of games

it's all essential, work shit and stuff. I just gotta get another tb and be done with it

Game is the same size on the PS3, and most of the next gen games are larger than any PC game(Killzone and NBA are near 50, hell Knack is 37)
yea but i just buy a cd and whatever

games being this big really makes me lose interest in aaa gaming. it's only gonna last like 10 hours anyways

PriitV

I think it is fair enough.

It does mean you have to be very careful about who you share with...but that is also kind of the point of family sharing. How many games use VAC anyway? Just don't share those.

I'd be more fine with losing my sharing rights, rather than getting VAC banned.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If ever there was a title I simply couldn't decide upon, it's Continue?9876543210. On one hand the idea of playing as a fail video game character about to be deleted forever is an interesting thought, on the other it's described as an "experience" game that even those who love it admit many not be something others will be able to get into even if they like Dear Esther and Gone Home and To The Moon.

I just don't know.

Sputnik I fell to Earth 56 years ago today. Here is a bump for a giveaway of some games about space.

That calls for some Spacewar

jediyoshi

By punishing the users who engage in that behavior? If they ban evade, when Valve sees that they've made multiple alt accounts linked to their original, at that time, VAC ban the primary account that's sharing. Not by punishing legit users who just shared with a friend and their friend was an idiot, downloaded something they shouldn't have or whatever.

So break it down exactly because you're not being clear, what's the threshold here? Three strikes? VAC ban the primary account that's sharing, except when it's totes an accident?

Sajjaja

yea but i just buy a cd and whatever

games being this big really makes me lose interest in aaa gaming. it's only gonna last like 10 hours anyways

Well I did play this game about 3-4 times over because it was so damn good. Haven't touched the DLC yet. Also I heard there will be a boss rush mode. Guaranteed more playtime.

xelios

I think it is fair enough.

How many games use VAC anyway? Just don't share those.

What's fair about it? They're using my game, not my account. The only excuse is for someone evading bans as has been mentioned, and that's a lazy one because Valve can just VAC ban primary accounts which engage in that particular behavior.

And I don't think you can choose which games you share. It shares the entire library. So then you'd have a big red VAC ban and the entire stigma that comes with it posted on your Steam profile forever, because you let a friend play a game from your library on their account through the Family Sharing program.

So break it down exactly because you're not being clear, what's the threshold here? Three strikes? VAC ban the primary account that's sharing, except when it's totes an accident?

If you don't think Valve can tell the difference between a real, unique, actual Steam user playing a game in your library from their account and being responsible for their actions, and someone making alt accounts to play from their own account, then you're either being dense or Valve needs to give it up.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If ever there was a title I simply couldn't decide upon, it's Continue?9876543210. On one hand the idea of playing as a fail video game character about to be deleted forever is an interesting thought, on the other it's described as an "experience" game that even those who love it admit many not be something others will be able to get into even if they like Dear Esther and Gone Home and To The Moon.

I just don't know.

I'm probably going to buy it tomorrow after I sleep on it, will be more than glad to report my thoughts on it should I do so.

Just be warned that I eat, shit and breathe "pretentious art nongame" things like Dear Esther, Gone Home, To The Moon and Kentucky Route Zero so if you hated any of those my opinion will not be geared towards you in the slightest.

Being totally oblivious to the way VAC bans work... A 3 strike system:

1: Lose sharing rights for the game that was cheated in.
2: Lose sharing rights for VAC-enabled games altogether. (maybe just lose sharing rights completely)
3: VAC ban on the main account.

Seems like a bit much to jump straight to a ban, heck, it seems weird to not VAC ban both parties involved, actually. That's just me. Why let punish the lender but let the offender get away near scot-free?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning. anything exciting happen in the last 10 hours or so?

jediyoshi

If you don't think Valve can tell the difference between a real, unique, actual Steam user playing a game in your library and being responsible for their actions, and someone making alt accounts to play from their own account, then you're either being dense or Valve needs to give it up.

So these restrictions and consequences in place, that don't tread anywhere near other platforms that have something like say, an entire console ban, is worth forsaking the entire feature of sharing because you lose the ability to specifically play some games' multiplayer's servers? And no, I don't think you're actually aware of what the implications of what you're looking for are if you think there's a simple, technical metric to make a distinction between throwing alt accounts together or not. You're not even answering my threshold question, the actual solution you've come up with is the very thing you're already against with Valve's only out going simply by the word of the users already involved.

zkylon

zkylewd
What's fair about it? They're using my game, not my account. The only excuse is for someone evading bans as has been mentioned, and that's a lazy one because Valve can just VAC ban primary accounts which engage in that particular behavior.

And I don't think you can choose which games you share. It shares the entire library. So then you'd have a big red VAC ban and the entire stigma that comes with it posted on your Steam profile forever, because you let a friend play a game from your library on their account through the Family Sharing program.

I dunno why family sharing has to be like this in general tbh

like, lending individual games would've been so much better. just limit the max number of games to like 5 or something

Soule

Man I'm just so stoked with my Castlevania purchase from the sale, game runs so well on a shitty computer while looking good and playing great. Also much longer than I anticipated, gladly achievement farming atm, not ready to put it down just yet :D

KenOD

Looking at the Amazon Editor's Choice games, I notice the XCOM collection went from a cheap price to it's standard $59.99 USD price. Great "savings" and deals there.

I'm probably going to buy it tomorrow after I sleep on it, will be more than glad to report my thoughts on it should I do so.

Just be warned that I eat, shit and breathe "pretentious art nongame" things like Dear Esther, Gone Home, To The Moon and Kentucky Route Zero so if you hated any of those my opinion will not be geared towards you in the slightest.

As long as you give them a chance and are fair and honest about your thoughts, I expect no problem even if I disagree with them. Always good to see another opinion I believe, if nothing else it might help me consider something I wouldn't have otherwise.

So I look forward to your thoughts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looking at the Amazon Editor's Choice games, I notice the XCOM collection went from a cheap price to it's standard $59.99 USD price. Great "savings" and deals there.

I'm waiting on the Ace Patrol Pack to hit $5.99 so I can buy five copies to give away. I've no personal need for the credit.

Soule

Being totally oblivious to the way VAC bans work... A 3 strike system:

1: Lose sharing rights for the game that was cheated in.
2: Lose sharing rights for VAC-enabled games altogether. (maybe just lose sharing rights completely)
3: VAC ban on the main account.

Seems like a bit much to jump straight to a ban, heck, it seems weird to not VAC ban both parties involved, actually. That's just me. Why let punish the lender but let the offender get away near scot-free?

Wait so the lender takes the hit while the borrowing hacker doesn't get a strike? Surely they'll amend that if it's the case because that is just silly.

jediyoshi

0gDsykd.png

Looks like CSGO broke 100k for the first time yesterday.
So many crates.

Sale isn't live yet.

Wait so the lender takes the hit while the borrowing hacker doesn't get a strike? Surely they'll amend that if it's the case because that is just silly.
I'm not sure what the language is, but currently they will VAC ban you, for example, if a family-sharer does something ban-worthy in one of your games. They did it, but since they were authorized by you, while playing one of your games, you get the hit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
good lord at the Rising pre load, thats MMO style size. time to delete some stuff mehinks

Soule

0gDsykd.png

Looks like CSGO broke 100k for the first time yesterday.
So many crates.

Sale isn't live yet.

During the sale my mate got enhanced steam for the first time and we started looking at stats because what is life without stats? I wasn't sure I believed that CSGO hadn't topped 100k before, Dark Souls is another it says peaked at 10k that I wasn't so sure about and the main reason I didn't really trust it was that it said that Skyrim's historical peak was <100k when I know it was the previous record holder before Dota at >200k... Wonder when the stats started getting recorded.

KenOD

Sale isn't live yet.

I'm more poking fun at the fact Amazon sent me an email telling me about various sales for digital games, with the XCOM collection being one of them, yet when I go it's at the full price.
Not in the email of savings was XCOM Classics Pack [Online Steam Code] and XCOM: Enemy Unknown , which if bought together are cheaper than The XCOM Collection currently.

I'm waiting on the Ace Patrol Pack to hit $5.99 so I can buy five copies to give away. I've no personal need for the credit.

Oh those do look fun. Ill have to add them to my wishlist for an eventual buy.

Phinor

During the sale my mate got enhanced steam for the first time and we started looking at stats because what is life without stats? I wasn't sure I believed that CSGO hadn't topped 100k before, Dark Souls is another it says peaked at 10k that I wasn't so sure about and the main reason I didn't really trust it was that it said that Skyrim's historical peak was <100k when I know it was the previous record holder before Dota at >200k... Wonder when the stats started getting recorded.

The stats are from Steamcharts.com which only started tracking July 2012. So Skyrim had already had its peak about half a year before that.

Dark Souls is a bit weird one. For some reason the tracking starts from September 2012, when the game was released in August. But it's absolutely fantastic to see that the active player base is now HIGHER than it was few weeks after release.

I think it is fair in the context of family sharing, where you can pick which games are available.

I can see your point of view if you are using this for friends, but I don't believe that is Valve's intent.

I think Valve is just trying to discourage family sharing with people on the internet.

I would agree.

Jørdan

List may not be up to date: Games that support VAC

Only applies when connecting to a VAC secured server, cheats running in single player or non VAC servers are unaffected.

Just noticed Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is on there, on my wishlist but never hit 75% during the sale :(

xelios

So these restrictions and consequences in place, that don't tread anywhere near other platforms that have something like say, an entire console ban, is worth forsaking the entire feature of sharing because you lose the ability to specifically play some games' multiplayer's servers? And no, I don't think you're actually aware of what the implications of what you're looking for are if you think there's a simple, technical metric to make a distinction between throwing alt accounts together or not. You're not even answering my threshold question, the actual solution you've come up with is the very thing you're already against with Valve's only out going simply by the word of the users already involved.

1) Show me a console where you can play someone's games from 1,000 miles away, not using their console or their account, and get their entire console banned. 'Til then whatever comparison you're making is irrelevant. Even if you could this is still a fallacy, or we could just write off anything bad that happened ever as "not treading anywhere near the Holocaust".

2) Yes, Valve can tell the difference between unique Steam users and alt accounts. How do you think they track statistics for unique Steam users/accounts, and don't just count every account ever made? How do you think they punished people who abused coal and TF2 idling on alt accounts?

3) I don't need to give a solution or threshold because the solution is already inherent and apparent in #2; Valve's ability to identify unique users and alt accounts. That's not really something up for discussion. Whether they want to put forth the effort in doing so, or just ban the primary account anyway "just in case", is still fair game.

4) A VAC ban isn't just being banned from playing a game, it's also this posted on your Steam profile forever:

uGhYnKb.png

Branding you as a cheater for the rest of your Steam life, because you let someone else play a game remotely through their Family Sharing program. That has consequences; friends who remove you, groups who remove you, and a great many people who don't want to play any game ever with someone who has this on their profile because they think they're a cheater.

So yes, it's pretty important for Valve to make sure they're marking the correct individual before they do it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Jørdan;95812015 said:
List may not be up to date: Games that support VAC

Only applies when connecting to a VAC secured server, cheats running in single player or non VAC servers are unaffected.

Also worth reminding that VAC bans are on a per-engine basis. So should your dumbshit friend/cousin/cat-rabbit hybrid earn a VAC ban while playing Black Ops 2, rest assured you are still well within your rights to load up on a VAC Protected server in Revelations 2012.

Not saying it's fair, just sayin'. At the moment it probably only has checks to look for whose license key is about to get revoked and not which account is playing using said license. Could be an easy enough change, but who knows if Valve would want to bother.

Jørdan

Also worth reminding that VAC bans are on a per-engine basis. So should your dumbshit friend/cousin/cat-rabbit hybrid earn a VAC ban while playing Black Ops 2, rest assured you are still well within your rights to load up on a VAC Protected server in Revelations 2012.

I thought it was universal, that's pretty stupid if it's by engine.

rav

Edit: Pay no attention to this post, I'm a silly old bear.

Sale isn't live yet.
Crap, I just bought Sly Cooper for PS3. oh well, I only continued because:
  1. Add all productsdescribed in the promotional offer message to your Shopping Cart one of two ways:
    • Via the Add both to Cart button in the promotion description, OR
    • Via the Add to Shopping Cart button on each respective product information page.
  2. The benefit for this promotion will not be reflected on the final order checkout page. The merchant will apply any benefit after your order has been processed.
oh well, it's Jan 4th here already. And most of the world. :(
Maybe there'll be something else on the sale I'm interested in? But if these don't stack i guess it's not that great of a deal / sale anyways.

Edit: Pay no attention to this post, I'm a silly old bear.

Ryne

Any good hidden games on GMG? That site is a bit of a mess.

I have to tackle Valdis first, then Dust. I love games like those two.

rav

So yes, it's pretty important for Valve to make sure they're marking the correct individual before they do it.

Yeah, I haven't even allowed anyone to share games yet. (And I have family that uses steam on their own accounts...)

Wok

By request:

Don't Take This If You Already Own Toki Tori 2 Plus -- The Two Tribes Bundle (28 entrants)
Too Many Puppies / With Guns In Their Hands -- Humble Weekly: Puppy Games (6 entrants)
Co-Op With One of MakeshiftChef's Kids -- Foul Play (7 entrants) — CSD would have been a MUCH better choice. I wish I had been clever enough to go with that instead of referencing this post.
The Doctor Wore One -- FEZ (5 entrants) — correctly guessed by LuffyZoro
Like 30 Lightning Strikes -- 1000 Amps (5 entrants)
R.I.P. Hamilton Camp -- Ducktales (20 entrants) — correctly guessed by Wok, which impressed me. I would not have expected someone who presumably grew up watching the show dubbed in French to get this one since Hamilton Camp was the English voice of Gizmoduck.
You Can't Be A Wizard, Only A Magic-User -- Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (13 entrants)
Be! Aggressive! B-E Aggressive! -- Humble Weekly: Cipher Prime (6 entrants)
Easy...But Not Necessarily Easy (ba-BUMP BUMP) -- Ys I & II Chronicles (5 entrants)
This Year You Overlooked An Excellent Puzzler; Remedy That Mistake -- Tetrobot & Co. (14 entrants) — correctly guessed by Wok, who up until this sale was the only person on my friends list that owned it.
Eat Something, You Skinny Little Weirdo -- Don't Starve (20 entrants) — correctly guessed by Mr. Poolman
A Rougelike -- Papers, Please (42 entrants) — correctly guessed by toddhunter
Search Query: "Tellaerin". Did You Mean: Tel'Arin | Tel'Elerin -- Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (6 entrants) — I MISTYPED TEL'ELERON and couldn't do anything about it! AUGH :(
Chocoholics, Beware -- Long Live the Queen (5 entrants) — Unfortunately, Caerith won this one...and obviously he already owns the game, so he ended up thanking me, turning down the gift and now I gotta give it away again. The funny thing about this is that I considered using the hint "Caerith Would Approve", but since so many others bought it and were singing its praises during the sale I thought more people would guess this.

The following weren't hints at all, but there's no other way to pass any kind of message through ModBot anonymously.
You Can Re-Gift Any Of These Games, I Don't Mind (8 entrants) -- Humble Weekly: Daedalic Bundle
None Of These Games Are Bad Rats (5 entrants) -- Humble Weekly: Team 17
Please Don't Clog Up The Thread With Thank You Posts (19 entrants) -- Rogue Legacy

Since it was difficult to tell which games are which, I wanted to make sure people knew it was okay to pass the gift along if they got something they knew they didn't want or already had—and that no, none of the games were Bad Rats.

Thanks for playing and thanks for being good sports, everyone. :)

Thanks for doing this! I like guessing.

Wok

I still haven't been able to finish Blocks that Matter myself despite 100% completing Tetrobot. There are some good ideas in BtM, but so much of it is lackluster that I just get bored/tired of it and want to play a different puzzle game. Tetrobot is like Swing Swing sat down, figured out the best parts of BtM and concentrated on them, cutting out a lot of the (IMO) bad design decisions that were made previously. It isn't perfect (what is?) but I think it's a much, much stronger game than its predecessor. So I definitely encourage you (and anyone else) to try it.

I have talked with one of the two devs during a conference, and this is exactly what they have done.

Edit: Oops, double post, sorry.

jediyoshi

1) Show me a console where you can play someone's games from 1,000 miles away, not using their console or their account, and get their entire console banned. 'Til then whatever comparison you're making is irrelevant. Even if you could this is still a fallacy, or we could just write off anything bad that happened ever as "not treading anywhere near the Holocaust".

2) Yes, Valve can tell the difference between unique Steam users and alt accounts. How do you think they track statistics for unique Steam users/accounts, and don't just count every account ever made? How do you think they punished people who abused coal and TF2 idling on alt accounts?

3) I don't need to give a solution or threshold because the solution is already inherent and apparent in #2; Valve's ability to identify unique users and alt accounts. That's not really something up for discussion. Whether they want to put forth the effort in doing so, or just ban the primary account anyway "just in case", is still fair game.

4) A VAC ban isn't just being banned from playing a game, it's also this posted on your Steam profile forever:

uGhYnKb.png

Branding you as a cheater for the rest of your Steam life, because you let someone else play a game remotely through their Family Sharing program. That has consequences; friends who remove you, groups who remove you, and a great many people who don't want to play any game ever with someone who has their on their profile because they think they're a cheater.

1) Not using their account? Are we still talking about Steam? Assuming it was shared remotely, does not implicating another account involve explicitly handing out those account details so they could complete the share process?

2) Again, you're not being specific here. Obviously Valve is able to monitor their own system, but to what extent is something a "Steam user" and when is it an "alt account"? They tracked those people by looking at very specific, tangible patterns. What are those patterns in terms of making throw away accounts? Accounts that own a few games in their account versus none?

3) You don't think it's reasonable to give a sensible rationale behind your logic when the things you're proposing make the system worse across the entire board as a result? Your solution instead of the current is either dropping sharing altogether or further forsaking the integrity of online matches by letting people who are already hacking assuredly get away just a few more times before they're cut off. You don't see there being a net negative in terms of how people are served when larger amounts of people are affected in the actual game itself?

4) Is it more or less important than users who should be aware of consequences when opening their accounts to sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom