• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
One does not decide their own tag, one must simply either live up to it or own it and make it something positive for themselves.

Give or take a bingo winner.

Smash88

Banned
Salsa is going to be so mad if he ever saw my tag.

Jokes aside, I can't wait for Revengeance (after Durante fixes it for 1440p). Got it all preloaded.

Sajjaja

Hey guys, what ever happened to LeDerpina?

I see him on my Steam all the time, but I remember he used to post in SteamGAF all the time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have it but all I manage to get showing its the GPU temp >.>

The FPS OSD toggle isn't contained within Afterburner itself. You need to load up C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Bundle\OSDServer\RTSS.exe (upon loading it'll auto-minimise to the system tray).

Edit: Ah, you found it.

I feel like thanking Makeshift Chef again for gifting me Cook Serve Delicious. That game has its hooks on me. Just finished a 2 hours and some session (!) where I didn't stop playing until I upgraded my restaurant to 2 stars status. Now I have a lot of money and options so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next in the game, but I know lasagna won't be part of it because level 2 lasagna screwed me pretty hard.

And again, THIS GAME

HAHA! I'm glad you like it. It was one of those games I had been wanting a long time and when it hit that flash sale price it was too good to pass up and not pass on. I've only been able to get about 30 minutes with so far but I am really liking it as well.

oipic

EDIT: fuck I got a tag...

My point still stands for Spelunky being chosen GOTY. I have nothing to hide.

Congrats! It's a good thing we've lost Pops Maellard to a 24-hour Spelunky binge (rumour has it all hygiene and dietary requirements have now been cast aside), so I think you're safe - those that love Spelunky really love Spelunky, though. :)

Salsa is going to be so mad if he ever saw my tag.

Edit: Yeah, you might not fare so well with Salsa when he catches the news!

Will be very interesting to see where it ends up in the SteamGAF GOTY - top three or thereabouts, I'm guessing.

cicero

Calling everyone a hacker that kills you.

It's dirty with the Saoirse (or however you spell her name) touch.

My point still stands for Spelunky being chosen GOTY. I have nothing to hide.
"It's an over-glorified 2D side scroller with randomization. Give me a break. The game is not close to GOTY material AT ALL." Your "point" was nothing more than your own personal sentiments about how it wasn't worthy of being GOTY. I find your opinion as nearly ridiculously outlandish as the others in that thread that rate Spelunky as being inferior against games with the "Motion capture, "Oscar caliber" narrative and visceral gameplay." requirements that they feel make a GOTY... hahah.

Your tag is well deserved. :p

First giveaway of the new year for me! I was fortunate enough to win Papers Please from a fellow gaffer who had a really fun idea for a giveaway (thanks again, Accent). It has been a fun little game for me! Probably one of the best roguelikes I've ever played! SO... here's a chance for the more unlucky among us to get their hands on a free game. Good luck and have fun!

ModBot said:
Instructions for MakeshiftChef:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Papers Please -- MB-692073755F8A8A30 - Taken by runnin_blue. 38 entrants total.

t1388833360z1.png

I feel like I'm the only one who voted for KR0.

Was that the only game you played? :p Don't Starve got my top vote. Hits all the GOTY hallmarks, its 2D, has randomization, not too sure about over glorified though...

PLAY DON"T STARVE GUYS! Seriously though, my favorite game of the year.

CKD5989

I read that the game is not optimized to run on Intel Integrated Graphics. I found out after I bought the game. >_<

Hadn't booted up the game until I read this and sure enough, I got the same issues.

I'm still pretty new to PC gaming (and indie gaming) so is this something that will be addressed sooner rather than later?

JaseC

Was that the only game you played? :p Don't Starve got my top vote. Hits all the GOTY hallmarks, its 2D, has randomization, not too sure about over glorified though...

PLAY DON"T STARVE GUYS! Seriously though, my favorite game of the year.

In terms of 2013 titles I also completed BioInf and Tomb Raider!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

but my avatars are always buff and muscular

By complaining about hit reg in chat whenever you miss.
Calling everyone a hacker that kills you.

but I play in a local server I can't excuse ping or hacker D:

You don't. Play against easy bots so you feel superior.

That's what I do :(
Go sit in an empty map and buy an automatic weapon, aim it at the wall and hold down fire. Notice the pattern it makes. Now repeat this for all of the automatic guns. Memorize the shit out of all of them.

Then slowly get good so you're only ever bursting 1-3 shots at a time and getting headshots so you don't even need to full auto. There are a few steps i'm missing here but honestly my time between WON-era CS and now is a huge goddamn blur.

Man, that sounds hard

*does the bot bullying thing instead*

SparkTR

Natural Selection 2 is probably the only game where a dwindling playerbase is a good thing. After every sale a bunch of new players buy the game and take part in some of the worst matches I'll ever play.

Deques

First giveaway of the new year for me! I was fortunate enough to win Papers Please from a fellow gaffer who had a really fun idea for a giveaway (thanks again, Accent). It has been a fun little game for me! Probably one of the best roguelikes I've ever played! SO... here's a chance for the more unlucky among us to get their hands on a free game. Good luck and have fun!
Entering this one. I haven't won anything this year yet :)

Sajjaja

Natural Selection 2 is probably the only game where a dwindling playerbase is a good thing. After every sale a bunch of new players buy the game and take part in some of the worst matches I'll ever play.

I wonder how many people play the HL1 mod still. I played that a bit back in the day, but my graphics card was so bad (GeForce MX4000) that when I chose that fast jumping alien, it would crash the game lol.

cicero

I feel like I'm the only one who voted for KR0.

For me, considerations for higher priced games unfortunately weren't the same as for their lower cost fellows which I actually did buy. My picks were these:

5. La-Mulana
4. Volgarr the Viking
3. Papers, Please
2. System Shock 2
1. Spelunky

I would have had FTL: Faster Than Light as my own personal GOTY, because I didn't start playing it until the last week of December 2012, but this was Steam 2013.

Benedict

Are the Amazon deals for Editor's choice active now?
IF, so you could get Bioshock Infinite dirt-cheap, as well as Crysis 3.

Thinking about getting these games for my Amazon credits (price after $5 discount drawn):

Foul Play $3.49
Crysis 3 $4.99
Final Exam $4.99

Agreed, the learning curve is intense and one bad player can really hurt their team.

SparkTR

I wonder how many people play the HL1 mod still. I played that a bit back in the day, but my graphics card was so bad (GeForce MX4000) that when I chose that fast jumping alien, it would crash the game lol.

Nobody plays it anymore unfortunately, unless certain communities organize games. It had a good run though, but around 2011 when NS2 became playable it was the final nail in the coffin for the community. Before that there were a few 24 player servers that were full every night.

I'd love if they re-release the game on Steam like Sven Coop is doing, because the game was a different experience than NS2.

JaseC

For me, considerations for higher priced games unfortunately weren't the same as for their lower cost fellows which I actually did buy. My picks were these:

5. La-Mulana
4. Volgarr the Viking
3. Papers, Please
2. System Shock 2
1. Spelunky

I would have had FTL: Faster Than Light as my own personal GOTY, because I didn't start playing it until the last week of December 2012, but this was Steam 2013.

I felt a bit iffy for voting for KR0 considering it's far from a complete product, but it really did impress me like few games have in more recent years.

I've been hoping to get a science based tag but no luck.
You should get the tittle of Steam Curator.

Haha, that or Steam Stenographer. :p

Ghostbusters did came back :)

That, too! Although I'd label Anno 1404's imminent return as the bigger mind-fuck -- the game being patched almost three years after it was pulled precisely because Ubi couldn't be bothered patching it still seems unreal. I feel like I'm going to wake up, check the registry, and find it was all just a cruel dream.

wilflare

finally got to play Bioshock infinite.
the game looks awesome but up close the textures aren't as great...

gonna play Dark Souls soon too

(and hey Windows 8.1 is pretty awesome)

anyone got advice how to ensure my registry doesn't go all awry when I install steam/origin+games on D: and reformat my C:? I presume they would no longer have the registry references after the reformat?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So I just heard that if you share your library with someone through Family Sharing, and they get a VAC ban while playing one of your games, it will be a VAC ban on your account. True?

If so that's pretty fucked up and inexcusable. They're playing the game from their account, not yours. Not nearly the same as someone logging into your actual account and getting a VAC ban, which I can understand. I seriously hope it's not true because that would make me never want to share my library with anyone, except maybe my boyfriend, and I will be revoking a couple of people.

(This was mentioned vaguely in a recent Family Sharing announcement, then when I asked in the comments someone "confirmed" it.)

Edit: It's true. LOL. Fuck you Valve.

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?
Your Family Sharing privileges may be revoked and your account may even be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating or fraud. We recommend you only authorize familiar Steam accounts and familiar computers you know to be secure. And as always, never give your password to anyone.

zkylon

zkylewd
You got download cap?

nah mostly all my 4 hard drives being full and everything's essential :/

3 tb just don't cut it :I

the other day I had like 600 kb free on my c: drive. didn't allow me to save my blender project lol

also my 1mb inet connection makes downloading this thing pretty slow

wilflare

the other day I had like 600 kb free on my c: drive. didn't allow me to save my blender project lol

start deleting some games! man. I hope all games make use of Steam Cloud rather than saving my gamesaves to some obscure part of the HD

jediyoshi

If so that's pretty fucked up and inexcusable. They're playing the game from their account, not yours.

How else would they deal with ban evading if people could just make new accounts and then get reauthorized from the same sharer's account?

Knurek

Downloading Ys: Oath of Felghana right now. Anyone know if this is easier than Ys I&II? Is it still using the bump system? I've been going into these games pretty blind.

It can be much harder than the first two games, depending on the difficulty level you choose. No bump system.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I just heard that if you share your library with someone through Family Sharing, and they get a VAC ban while playing one of your games, it will be a VAC ban on your account. True?

(This was mentioned vaguely in a recent Family Sharing announcement, then when I asked in the comments someone "confirmed" it.)

Sad but true. There isn't much Valve could do to get around the issue. If they don't ban the lender's account, this creates a loophole that cheaters can use to effectively "unban" themselves by signing up for a new account and sharing their library again and again.

To be fair, it's meant to be something you would use inside of a single household, so in practice it's no different than having your Xbox live account banned because you gave your brother your login info and he logged in from a hacked Xbox.

Caerith

If so that's pretty fucked up and inexcusable. They're playing the game from their account, not yours. Not nearly the same as someone logging into your actual account and getting a VAC ban, which I can understand. I seriously hope it's not true because that would make me never want to share my library with anyone, except maybe my boyfriend, and I will be revoking a couple of people.

Beaten by you, but yes. The update at least changes it from "anyone on this machine" to "this user on this machine," but it's still... well, like others have said, what can you do?

And apropos of nothing:

The Mars Polar Lander was launched 15 years ago today. Here are some games about people in space.
Sputnik I fell to Earth 56 years ago today. Here is a bump for a giveaway of some games about space.

Sajjaja

Delete League pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom