• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkie

Keviniskool's Steam review of Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold Edition made my day:

Many people would try to tell you that Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta is a poor man's Uncharted, when it's clearly the other way around. My friend and I discovered after playing through the whole game that what we have here is clearly the better experience.
For example:

Uncharted had Nolan North. Unearthed has Troy Baker. Which one of these voice actors won GOTY last year? That's what I thought.

Unearthed: 1 Uncharted: 0

Unearthed runs at 60 FPS at 1080p. Uncharted only runs at 720p at 30 FPS. Basic math tells us that since the frame buffer has roughly 4 times as many pixels and twice as many frames, Unearthed is at least 8 times better looking than Uncharted.

Unearthed: 9 Uncharted: 0

Uncharted 3 had horses. Unearthed has 4 wheel ATVs. That's 4 more wheels than Uncharted lets you ride.

Unearthed: 13 Uncharted: 0

Uncharted only runs on the PS3, while Unearthed runs on Android, PC, Mac, and probably the Gizmondo.

Unearthed: 17 Uncharted: 0

Uncharted only has creepy slippery Nazis. Unearthed has full on zombies, and it doesn't need to explain why they're there.

Unearthed: 18 Uncharted: 0

Uncharted usually only gives you a few weapons to choose from at any time. Unearthed has more weapon types than there are enemies in the entire campaign.

Unearthed: 19 Uncharted: 0

Nathan Drake is a ♥♥♥♥♥ who gets scared and emotional when the going gets tough. Faris Jawad doesn't stop cracking jokes even when a gun is fired at his sister.

Unearthed: 20 Uncharted: 0

Finally, as Unearthed rightfully points out on the store page, this game has been translated into more languages than most best-selling literature will ever see, because Semaphore knows everyone will want to play this and wants to be culturally sensitive to everyone. Uncharted consists of playing a while guy shooting minorities. I think we know who is more socially responsible.

Unearthed: 41 Uncharted: Racism

Winner: Unearthed

This is just a summary of all the things that make Unearthed the best. I didn't even go into detail about the leisurely strolls through the city discussing the plot, or the Kafka-esque analysis of the futility of escaping in a car as the city loops around you. There's just too much to this game to pack in one review, and I implore you to check out what may already be the de-facto GOTY of 2014.

Danielsan

Just "finished" Papers Please (ending 20/20). I got 6 endings in total. Definitely will be replaying it soon to get different endings. What a fantastic little game.

Keviniskool's Steam review of Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold Edition made my day:

Many people would try to tell you that Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta is a poor man's Uncharted, when it's clearly the other way around. My friend and I discovered after playing through the whole game that what we have here is clearly the better experience.
For example:

Uncharted had Nolan North. Unearthed has Troy Baker. Which one of these voice actors won GOTY last year? That's what I thought.

Unearthed runs at 60 FPS at 1080p. Uncharted only runs at 720p at 30 FPS. Basic math tells us that since the frame buffer has roughly 4 times as many pixels and twice as many frames, Unearthed is at least 8 times better looking than Uncharted.

Uncharted 3 had horses. Unearthed has 4 wheel ATVs. That's 4 more wheels than Uncharted lets you ride.

Uncharted only runs on the PS3, while Unearthed runs on Android, PC, Mac, and probably the Gizmondo.

Uncharted only has creepy slippery Nazis. Unearthed has full on zombies, and it doesn't need to explain why they're there.

Uncharted usually only gives you a few weapons to choose from at any time. Unearthed has more weapon types than there are enemies in the entire campaign.

Nathan Drake is a ♥♥♥♥♥ who gets scared and emotional when the going gets tough. Faris Jawad doesn't stop cracking jokes even when a gun is fired at his sister.

Finally, as Unearthed rightfully points out on the store page, this game has been translated into more languages than most best-selling literature will ever see, because Semaphore knows everyone will want to play this and wants to be culturally sensitive to everyone. Uncharted consists of playing a while guy shooting minorities. I think we know who is more socially responsible.

This is just a summary of all the things that make Unearthed the best. I didn't even go into detail about the leisurely strolls through the city discussing the plot, or the Kafka-esque analysis of the futility of escaping in a car as the city loops around you. There's just too much to this game to pack in one review, and I implore you to check out what may already be the de-facto GOTY of 2014.
ibjS3w1khh9RbB.gif

I hereby resolve, for the year 2014, to play all of the Steam games that I bought in 2013.

I'm aiming at all the games I currently have in my Steam Library (at least an hour each) myself. It should be noted that I have 442 games in there. Gonna be a hell of a ride.

Could someone invite me to the Steam group please? Steam name is the same as on here.

I need to finish Brothers today, been playng it in awkward chunks.

inter

What's the best place to see price history for games? Trying to figure out how quickly past games have dropped in price.

Arthea

My new years resolve is pretty much the same as the last year's or year before that. To buy less games and to finish more games.
We all know how that is achievable, don't we? ;)

Also every steam thread this year reads for me:
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - the year of Trails in the sky

I have good chance finishing lltQueen, as it's hard to stop playing!
Did anyone manage to get all possible deaths already?

Indeed, I would love a new, refreshing look. It looks bland and outdated. That's why I'm always on the installed games Tab so I can stare at my backlog and keep on clearing it.

Well Mr Shackles says that it's coded to work on browser's from the Ark so.....:/.

Got to day 15 in my first Papers Please playthough, I was arrested due to some illegal financial activites. I say Im finished, not playing through the game again since the same mistake may happen again.

lol ur playin it wrong

[I have not played it yet but from every impression I have read getting to the end of the game is not really the point in this case.]

*snip*

I hate the old GAF laughing smiley but if I was ever to use it, it would be used here :D. Thanks for brightening up my day you fine fellow :).

Could someone invite me to the Steam group please? Steam name is the same as on here.

I need to finish Brothers today, been playng it in awkward chunks.

If you give us a link to your Steam profile it is much easier. Steam search for usernames is pretty frustrating I have found.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My new years resolve is pretty much the same as the last year's or year before that. To buy less games and to finish more games.
We all know how that is achievable, don't we? ;)

Also every steam thread this year reads for me:
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - the year of Trails in the sky

I have good chance finishing lltQueen, as it's hard to stop playing!
Did anyone manage to get all possible deaths already?

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - The Return of Anno 1404

For example:

Next time someone mentions Naughty Dog in a PC discussion I'm gonna bring this game.

chixdiggit

I feel weird admitting this but TF2 is actually a very fun game.

Now how do I make money from it? :p

Why feel weird about it? TF2 is like crack and Valve is the dealer.
Just when you think you are done with TF2 and you will quit it forever, Valve releases a new update to suck you back in.

JaseC

it won't require uplay after patching, I hope...

I don't think Ubi will retroactively patch it in. If the game were hitting Steam for the first time rather than returning from a ~three-year absence I'd say Uplay integration is a possibility, though. My guess is that the updates will be pushed out some time next week if not sooner -- they're in beta at the moment but since Ubi is just updating the games with patches that have existed for years I doubt there's much work to do.

Benedict

Any way to connect Howlongtobeat.com to your Steam-account?
Don't want to manually add my games...

Edit: Or maybe something for Enchanced Steam: Show how long it usually takes to beat game X in your library...

Raxus

Congrats to the winners of my giveaway!

Camel Master claimed your Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition key. There were 56 entrants.
Faabulous claimed your Gunpoint key. There were 112 entrants.
Ogedai_Khan claimed your Bioshock key. There were 23 entrants.
VikasNarula claimed your Chivalry key. There were 55 entrants.
Toki767 claimed your Guacamelee! Gold Edition key. There were 86 entrants.

wilflare

I have cleaned my list of Steam contacts and there are 5 guys from here whom I don't remember the pseudonym. Here are the avatars:

If you remember one of them, could you point out to one of their posts on here?

Ah, thanks! I remember now.

Edit: The middle one is No clue whatsoever (4 posts since 2010, but often visits) and the last one is nacimento. Two left.

first one is drizzle. he often post in the indie bundle thread I think.

Anyone managed to get the Wii U Pro Controller?

man I'm beginning to like Windows 8.

time to get back to some PC gaming.

EDIT: no idea how I am gonna clean up my Steam friends list.. and those group invites gawd

Sullichin

So this Amazon sale, is it not up or what? Did I miss a list of things that will be on it?
I'm mostly just hoping for a discount on Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Post sale is sobering. How long until the Spring Sale? That's the next one, right?

Does anybody here have any interest in Crusader Kings 2? I received a fifty percent voucher that expires at the start of February if anybody wants it, but I realise with the sale having just finished it's unlikely. I don't mind it going to waste, I just don't want that to happen if somebody else is intending to purchase it and it could save them some money.

JaseC

Post sale is sobering. How long until the Spring Sale? That's the next one, right?

There is no Spring Sale. The Summer Sale is next in line at six months away.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - 610 years too late

Haha, I missed the boat on the games way back when so I couldn't be more excited. I didn't think my e-mail would actually set something in motion -- I just wanted to be able to say, "Well, at least I tried." With Anno 1404 almost out of the way, I think I'd faint if I caught the King Kong and Tintin apps being updated. :p The former seems more likely to me than the latter as Ubi could just dump the DRM-free build on Steam and call it a day whereas Tintin, being a Uplay game, would need its own individualised instance of the client a la the more recent AssCreed games and presumably that requires a fair bit of work. Needles to say, though, I'd buy both in a heartbeat.

oipic

Yep, as Jase said, the next 'major' sale is months away - 2013's 'Summer Getaway Sale' took place July 11th-23rd.

We have plenty of time to tackle our backlogs. :)

Waku

First Game finished in the new year: Brothers, and man what a game, have to look up if i can properly screenshot that one. Should be possible with it being Unreal Engine. Just an all around great Game, with a nice little fairy tale and perfect pacing and length. No padding whatsoever, other devs take note. The whole atmosphere reminded me of ICO, really manages to create it's own little world. What a wonderful game, great soundtrack, beautiful visuals, perfect controls. Just amazing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep, as Jase said, the next 'major' sale is months away - 2013's 'Summer Getaway Sale' took place July 11th-23rd.

We have plenty of time to tackle our backlogs. :)

Yeah, good point. Six month increments is a good way to purchase and game. Otherwise I'd just be buying and not playing.

Seems like that's 90% of this thread, though. Tsk tsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom