• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ARMA II -- MB-65602A0A0723F0C6 - Taken by NotSelf. 16 entrants total.
ARMA Tactics -- MB-52F8BA3242E5FF91 - Taken by Man Puncher. 6 entrants total.
ARMA: Gold Edition -- MB-8604EF5A80E6F63C - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 5 entrants total.

t1389930342z1.png

dani_dc

What are the chances that we will ever see the old school LucasArts games on steam? I'm talking Day of The Tentacle and Sam & Max.

Our best chance for that was when MI1 and 2 got remade.

Now it's best to forget about that and occasionally cry yourself to sleep knowing it will never happen.

I have 160 installed games on my system. I have played only 36 of them.

I have decided that starting today and until the end of the weekend that I am going to start at the top of the list of the installed games and play each of them for half an hour and give my brief impression of each game here in the Steam thread after I've played them. So they'll only be 30 minute impressions and it will be just a quick play with a line at the end of each mini "preview" as to whether or not I'm likely to ever play again. LOL. How did I end up with so many games that I might never play? Surely I must have been interested in them at some point. I think a mass of them have come from Indie bundles though where I wanted maybe one or two games from the bundle. Yet - I don't install the ones that I don't want from the bundles.

Either way, I'll be uninstalling the games that I doubt I'll play again after this whole thing. What prompted me to do this? Going through my games and finding games that I think look kinda cool to play that I haven't looked at in ages while putting everything into categories using Depressurizer. I like having things organised so this has been a great excercise :)

Great idea! I think I might do something like this. I look forward to your impressions!

Teppic

For a Sonic beginner, what is the best 2D Sonic game on Steam. Sonic CD? Something else? Easy is better than hard (it's for my son).
Haven't played any of the Sonic games that much, but I have a feeling that Sonic Generation is the easiest one, but also the most expensive. My guess would be that Sonic CD is one of the harder Sonic games. Not that I think those things mattered much to me when I was a kid. I played a lot of games that I just died over and over in the first few levels.

Oreoleo

For a Sonic beginner, what is the best 2D Sonic game on Steam. Sonic CD? Something else? Easy is better than hard (it's for my son).

I thought the level design in Sonic CD made the game a little harder than it needed to be. 4 2D Sonic games in and it feels like they were trying too hard to make the levels clever instead of fun.

Sonic 1 will always be my favorite even without spindash.

Sonic Generations is really great too if you think your son would prefer something more modern. It has some great content inspired by those early games.

Haven't played any of the Sonic games that much, but I have a feeling that Sonic Generation is the easiest one, but also the most expensive. My guess would be that Sonic CD is one of the harder Sonic games. Not that I think those things mattered much to me when I was a kid. I played a lot of games that I just died over and over in the first few levels.

I thought the level design in Sonic CD made the game a little harder than it needed to be. 4 2D Sonic games in and it feels like they were trying too hard to make the levels clever instead of fun.

Sonic 1 will always be my favorite even without spindash.

Sonic Generations is really great too if you think your son would prefer something more modern. It has some great content inspired by those early games.

Thanks, I'll take a look at both of those. Maybe pick up Sonic 1 now and generations when the price drops.

Teppic

Didn't know Sonic 1 and 2 were on Steam. I would say that Sonic 2 is easier than Sonic 1, at least in the earlier levels.

Edit: Oh, and 3 and Knuckles is also there. I think that game might be easier than both Sonic 1 and 2, but not by much.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Im trying to display my video on the tv but the tv chops part of the image. Any idea how to make the image fit the tv properly?

Caerith

I liked the original name better than "Invisible, inc."
I like imagining the original name was actually Invisible Bastard Deluxe.

Thanks, I'll take a look at both of those. Maybe pick up Sonic 1 now and generations when the price drops.
Whatever you do, don't pick up Sonic 4.

This isn't one of those controversial opinions about some love it or hate it game. There is no controversy. It is a terrible game.

Im trying to display my video on the tv but the tv chops part of the image. Any idea how to make the image fit the tv properly?

It's likely an issue with your TV. With mine, I had to go into the "sources" menu and change the HDMI source to PC, because if left unspecified it would cut off.

I like imagining the original name was actually Invisible Bastard Deluxe.

Whatever you do, don't pick up Sonic 4.

This isn't one of those controversial opinions about some love it or hate it game. There is no controversy. It is a terrible game.
Is it that terrible? got it on that bundle pricing error. Should i just uninstall it? :p

mrgone

Isn't Isuka the worst Guilty Gear? The one with the crappy foreground/background mechanic? Weird that it's the only one they put up. I'm guessing the others will follow soon - this might just be to ensure they sell at least a couple of copies of it :) Strategy.

Sajjaja

Isn't Isuka the worst Guilty Gear? The one with the crappy foreground/background mechanic? Weird that it's the only one they put up. I'm guessing the others will follow soon - this might just be to ensure they sell at least a couple of copies of it :) Strategy.

Yup. It's the worst one.

Pudge

Guilty Gear: Isuka and not Accent Core. :/ WTF, Arc?

Pretty sure it wasn't Arc's fault. KISS Ltd. picked up the PC publishing rights along with a bunch of other games (GUNMETAL included) from another company that never bothered to put the games up on Steam. I had both of them in a bundle from IndieGala and they were GamersGate codes of all things.

Santini

Half way through January, and still no sign of me using more of my Amazon promo credits. If any of you want to make use of one of mine, let me know. One deal I will highlight is Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection, as it ends today. (Own it already)

Let's hope they do some late "surprise" bundles like they did last year (the Microsoft indie one, IIRC).

You can also grab the C&C Ultimate Collection today from GameStop for $4.99, the price it would be post-Amazon promo credit. Redeems on Origin, obviously.

First up is Anno 2070 of the games I haven't played yet. I'm approaching this with rules because I could end up spending a lot of time playing games that I have enjoyed. So without further adieu.

anno20700rc08.png

I enjoyed this for the short time I played it for, but I was certain that I would because I like the Anno games. Surprising how similar it was to the previous games but just based in the future... it's like I'd played it before but hadn't. Was kind of a weird feeling. I don't know if the story is exactly the same but just based in the future or what but I felt like I was having Deja Vu.

So, the 'First Start' time is always a pain in the arse with Steam which turns me off playing games. It took me 2 minutes 26 seconds until the game loaded properly to the opening screens. Then took a 1 minute 30 seconds until I was ready to get going with the game thanks to all the crud that came up at the start of the game, asking if I wanted to do a survey and la la la. I ended up starting to play the game 5 minutes and 18 seconds into my half an hour.

Will I play again?
up1yc7p.png

Up next - Civ V

Colin.

Let's hope they do some late "surprise" bundles like they did last year (the Microsoft indie one, IIRC).

You can also grab the C&C Ultimate Collection today from GameStop for $4.99, the price it would be post-Amazon promo credit. Redeems on Origin, obviously.

I hope so, I still have 5 of them. Only used one so far on Ace Patrol for $1. Brothers for $3 is also pretty good, if you don't own it. Also, good find with the C&C deal, if you live in North America as it is region restricted. "Territory: North America (US and Canada)" Is this just a sale price, or is that the regular price from Gamestop?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I say get your son Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it has a built-in save system, just make sure to help him if he gets to the barrel in Carnival Night Zone (hold up when the barrel goes up, hold down when the barrel goes down).

Grief.exe

First up is Anno 2070 of the games I haven't played yet. I'm approaching this with rules because I could end up spending a lot of time playing games that I have enjoyed. So without further adieu.

anno20700rc08.png

I enjoyed this for the short time I played it for, but I was certain that I would because I like the Anno games. Surprising how similar it was to the previous games but just based in the future... it's like I'd played it before but hadn't. Was kind of a weird feeling. I don't know if the story is exactly the same but just based in the future or what but I felt like I was having Deja Vu.

So, the 'First Start' time is always a pain in the arse with Steam which turns me off playing games. It took me 2 minutes 26 seconds until the game loaded properly to the opening screens. Then took a 1 minute 30 seconds until I was ready to get going with the game thanks to all the crud that came up at the start of the game, asking if I wanted to do a survey and la la la. I ended up starting to play the game 5 minutes and 18 seconds into my half an hour.

Will I play again?
up1yc7p.png

That Uplay.

I'm excited for Anno 1404 coming back to Steam so I can check out the series. I've never played an Anno game before and that looks like a good place to start. It doesn't hurt that it is DRM free.

Santini

I hope so, I still have 5 of them. Only used one so far on Ace Patrol for $1. Brothers for $3 is also pretty good, if you don't own it. Also, good find with the C&C deal, if you live in North America as it is region restricted. "Territory: North America (US and Canada)" Is this just a sale price, or is that the regular price from Gamestop?

Sale price, I believe. Don't know how long it lasts for.

Freyja's bundle was a good deal that went fast. Missed that one.

anno20700rc08.png

Will I play again?
up1yc7p.png

Up next - Civ V

Good luck! You simply don't play Civ V for 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom