• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 30 minutes of Saints Row IV is awesome, I was in tears, then I hit the regular gameplay. I wished there was a condensed version with all the funny/cool missions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Anno 1404 really coming back?

Nothing has been officially confirmed but all the pieces are there. The game was pulled back in March/April 2011 due to Ubi's refusal to patch the Steam version to v1.3/v2.1 (base game/Venice expansion respectively), a move which left Steam owners with a potentially game-breaking save bug, so eventually the ability to purchase was removed. Out of a combination of boredom and desperation, I e-mailed Ubi towards the end of November and while it seems King Kong and Tintin aren't coming to Steam in the near future, five weeks later Anno 1404 and its expansion each received a password-locked beta update, both of which apparently entered the QA phase a week ago -- when they're rolled out, the issue that lead to the games being pulled will no longer be present and so once again they can be made available, more or less three years after they disappeared from the store.

Saw this on reddit. Is this true?

edit: welp
aSlHhl0.jpg

FloatOn

The first 30 minutes of Saints Row IV is awesome, I was in tears, then I hit the regular gameplay. I wished there was a condensed version with all the funny/cool missions.

most of the story missions are pretty funny if it's any consolation. as I said earlier, don't burn yourself out on the side content. I got so bored by the end of it that I turned saints row 4 into a star wars game

(I only used my energy sword and telekinesis)

I also role played as Jason Vorhees and cold blooded murdered people with the day of the tentacle bat

cicero

Amazon is selling the Origin based Alice Madness Returns Complete Collection which includes the original American McGee's Alice from 2000. Does anyone know if the base Alice Madness Returns that Amazon was selling last year has the original Alice as well. And any comments about whether or not the complete version is worth $5 if I already own the base game on Origin?

Welcome to a Saints Row game!

most of the story missions are pretty funny if it's any consolation. as I said earlier, don't burn yourself out on the side content. I got so bored by the end of it that I turned saints row 4 into a star wars game
(I only used my energy sword and telekinesis)

I beat The Third and all dlc less than two months ago so I may already be burnt out. But that intro to IV....brilliant. Glad for the free weekend but I'll probably wait till the end of this year to play it proper.

civ5pysvt.png

Annnnnnnd so I've been playing Civ 5 for the last 1 hour 14 minutes lol.

I didn't see any posts in this thread, but it's absolutely hilarious to me that everyone was saying "one does not simply play Civ V for 30 minutes". I couldn't stop myself. In the end, my computer crashed (most likely because it's 43 degree's in Melbourne today so I'm going to have to turn the OC on my GFX cards down a bit.

What can I say. I loved it, was really enjoying myself and were it not for the crash I probably would still be playing it now. I was in the game and actually playing the game after just 2 minutes 28 seconds which is pretty impressive because that included setting resolution and maxing the graphics in the options as well.

Now, to decide whether I'll bee back or not, I'm just going to load the game up again and see if it had an autosave... if not, then I probably won't be back again because I felt like I was doing really well in that 1 hour........

Will I play Civ 5 again?
upmrstd.png

Autosave was only about 5 minutes before the crash! Whoop!

Up next: Alien Breed 2: Assault

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For a Sonic beginner, what is the best 2D Sonic game on Steam. Sonic CD? Something else? Easy is better than hard (it's for my son).
I'd go with Sonic 2. It has the best soundtrack of them all, and the bonus stages are very fun. The co-op is barely playable (Tails spends more time out of the screen than in), but it's still something that you could try with your son.

For me, Sonic CD is actually the worst choice when it comes to beginner 2D games, not counting the Sonic 4 episodes (which are the worst). The level layout is extremely weird and random, and time travel adds an unnecessary and complicated mechanic to the game.

cicero

I have 160 installed games on my system. I have played only 36 of them.

I have decided that starting today and until the end of the weekend that I am going to start at the top of the list of the installed games and play each of them for half an hour and give my brief impression of each game here in the Steam thread after I've played them. So they'll only be 30 minute impressions and it will be just a quick play with a line at the end of each mini "preview" as to whether or not I'm likely to ever play again. LOL. How did I end up with so many games that I might never play? Surely I must have been interested in them at some point. I think a mass of them have come from Indie bundles though where I wanted maybe one or two games from the bundle. Yet - I don't install the ones that I don't want from the bundles.

Either way, I'll be uninstalling the games that I doubt I'll play again after this whole thing. What prompted me to do this? Going through my games and finding games that I think look kinda cool to play that I haven't looked at in ages while putting everything into categories using Depressurizer. I like having things organised so this has been a great excercise :)
So we are seriously getting 124 impressions of games played for only half an hour each? This might have been better in a designated thread... :p

FloatOn

Speaking of sandbox games. As much as I loved gta 5 on ps3 I really don't think I have it in me to replay it on pc when it comes

this may just be the cold medicine talking

user237

For a Sonic beginner, what is the best 2D Sonic game on Steam. Sonic CD? Something else? Easy is better than hard (it's for my son).

Everyone should play Sonic 1, so you may as well start there. It's not a super long game so you'll be ready for Sonic 2 pretty quickly.

louiedog

Speaking of sandbox games. As much as I loved gta 5 on ps3 I really don't think I have it in me to replay it on pc when it comes

this may just be the cold medicine talking

I loved that world. I'll definitely pick it up on sale, download a fully unlocked save, and replay some of the missions in addition to just driving around and taking in the beauty on PC.

FloatOn

I loved that world. I'll definitely pick it up on sale, download a fully unlocked save, and replay some of the missions in addition to just driving around and taking in the beauty on PC.

I may pick it up down the line when some interesting mods come out for it. Or if GTA online isn't a total clusterfuck for pc I may get into that since I haven't played around with the online portion at all.

I'd say Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best choice, for its multiple character playthrough options, easily graspable gameplay, and just the quantity and quality of levels it has over its Genesis and Sega CD brethren.

Oreoleo

Amazon is selling the Origin based Alice Madness Returns Complete Collection which includes the original American McGee's Alice from 2000. Does anyone know if the base Alice Madness Returns that Amazon was selling last year has the original Alice as well. And any comments about whether or not the complete version is worth $5 if I already own the base game on Origin?

The original Alice was only a preorder bonus for Madness Returns iirc so I doubt it is included in standard versions of that game.

rtcn63

I'd say Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best choice, for its multiple character playthrough options, easily graspable gameplay, and just the quantity and quality of levels it has over its Genesis and Sega CD brethren.

I've still never beaten the carnival zone due to the timer. Always hits the limit when I'm fighting the boss.

Grief.exe

civ5pysvt.png

Annnnnnnd so I've been playing Civ 5 for the last 1 hour 14 minutes lol.

I didn't see any posts in this thread, but it's absolutely hilarious to me that everyone was saying "one does not simply play Civ V for 30 minutes". I couldn't stop myself. In the end, my computer crashed (most likely because it's 43 degree's in Melbourne today so I'm going to have to turn the OC on my GFX cards down a bit.

What can I say. I loved it, was really enjoying myself and were it not for the crash I probably would still be playing it now. I was in the game and actually playing the game after just 2 minutes 28 seconds which is pretty impressive because that included setting resolution and maxing the graphics in the options as well.

Now, to decide whether I'll bee back or not, I'm just going to load the game up again and see if it had an autosave... if not, then I probably won't be back again because I felt like I was doing really well in that 1 hour........

Will I play Civ 5 again?
upmrstd.png

Autosave was only about 5 minutes before the crash! Whoop!

Up next: Alien Breed 2: Assault

This is going to be such an awesome mini-series.

Coreda

Nothing has been officially confirmed but all the pieces are there. The game was pulled back in March/April 2011 due to Ubi's refusal to patch the Steam version to v1.3/v2.1 (base game/Venice expansion respectively), a move which left Steam owners with a potentially game-breaking save bug, so eventually the ability to purchase was removed. Out of a combination of boredom and desperation, I e-mailed Ubi towards the end of November and while it seems King Kong and Tintin aren't coming to Steam in the near future, five weeks later Anno 1404 and its expansion each received a password-locked beta update, both of which apparently entered the QA phase a week ago -- when they're rolled out, the issue that lead to the games being pulled will no longer be present and so once again they can be made available, more or less three years after they disappeared from the store.

Good stuff Jase! Fingers crossed the Steam version comes without the archaic DRM.

This is going to be such an awesome mini-series.

Agreed, great idea.

Tizoc

My FemShep was a Redhead too.
Also I don't care what you guys say, I want Guilty Gear 2 on Steam >=/

IIRC, Sonic CD is the Whitebread ver., but the game itself is divided among the fanbase, those that say it's the good, the other saying it isn't.
Despite being a damn good port at 60 FPS, it's a game you need to play for yourself to judge.
Other than that, Sonic 1, 2, 3 and 3&K. Sonic 3D Blast is different from the traditional Sonic games, but you need to approach it as more of a Platformer than a Sonic game.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are hit or miss, again games you'd need to play for yourself to judge properly. Make sure you look up mods though since SA1 on Steam has a few issues.

Sonic Generations is really good though.

I bought Nidhogg today and I got a job today

ejeb80d93iq1p2e0yxwzj1ksi.500x281x14.gif

Congrats Cheddahz!

Dear Arcsys, give us Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R, Guilty Gear Xrd and BlazBlue: Chronophantasma please.

50edyXW.gif

and Persona 4 Arena if you have time
You behind on the times son-
Aigis-1024x543.jpg

Don't know if it's been mentioned but GMG seems to be giving away 30% off vouchers for Thief by email, just got it for a little over £18 :)

ARGH WHY MUST I GET THIS WHEN MY FINANCIALS ARE LOW!
I know it'd get cheaper by the Summer Sale, but I am so fucking tempted ;.;

Tizoc

Reposting for the new page~
So I've got some Spare Steam keys I've decided to make a giveaway of.
...thing is I'm not sure if they're still active since some are over a year old ^^; Apologies in advance if the code you'd win is invalid.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Awesomenauts #2 -- MB-C7B06615835D9769
Whispered World #1 -- MB-869894841F5EBE8F
Whispered World #2 -- MB-2E6985094CD38117 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Awesomenauts #1 -- MB-4892CD50F091281F
ulgzbKC.png
Face Noir Desura Key -- MB-14126196EFC393CA
Strongbad's Cool game for Attractive People -- MB-A70C1CC96253B1E0 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt
Delve Deeper -- MB-BF9A2AAAC17562BC - Taken by Sarcasm
Pid -- MB-1121E1D167785263 - Taken by Servizio
Bioshock -- MB-F3EFC1EC547A66D9 - Taken by Friggz
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed #2 -- MB-19D9BA5DB75497B7 - Taken by Divius
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-2B1023AFA62D352C - Taken by lindarasta
War of the Human Tanks -- MB-41234088C01F44CF
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed #1 -- MB-F3F3C0D3D15DC7D9 - Taken by Shadowlink
Kung Fu strike -- MB-C598D54867D7B342 - Taken by Snakethesniper
Serious Sam 3 -- MB-6523003AAB31680F
Lunnye Devitsy -- MB-82050112F97351F5
Oozi: Earth Adventure -- MB-C5FF7D932A3480F0 - Taken by nexen
Contrast -- MB-BCCBEBB3CE9E1B7A - Taken by Zafir

t1389983262z1.png

yuraya

Does anyone know of any similar games like "To the Moon"? I beat the game last week and have really wanted to play something similar since. It was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom