• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

Here's a new game coming to PC for all you Cthulhu fans...

Any Cthulhu game just makes me sad that Dark Corners of the Earth never got its well-deserved sequel. The game was so good that Amnesia pretty much ripped it off wholesale.

steam reviews say it's the worst game ever....guy who just made thread about it said its the best PC game of last year... what do i do you guys?

There's a HUGE contingent of very angry Russians who hate the game's portrayal of Russia as being, well, uncaring and brutal. It's apparently historically accurate... unless you live in Russia, where the history books are, uh, rather different. They basically destroyed its reputation on Metacritic.

Dr Dogg

a good point, but that $13 could buy 3 bundles right now and ill get +15 games i'll never play. hmmmm

edit: dammit, made the decision to go for it and it's down now

Hahaha well I was playing more on the obsessive collector thing most of us have going on. Bear in mind the DCE does also come with the original CoH and the two expansions if you don't already own them. So 5 games and 30+ dlc's you'll never play!

From what a couple of my friends who bought 2 at launch have said that the MP isn't too different than the first but suffers for some bad lag. The SP campaigns are meant to be good though. I almost picked it up on launch but it came out on my birthday and I was a bit preoccupied to pop to the shops hahaha.

Whether it's worth the $14/£9 is up to you but for me seeing as I've put about 500 hours into the first it would have to be the worst pc game ever for me not to get my money's worth. That and there's a bajillion achievements to get.

Backlogger

How is Carrier Command? is it worth the 6$ extra in the Humble Bundle Weekly?

I going to try to try it out this weekend, but it looks interesting. The Steam reviews seem to agree that once you get past the first mission (which plays like a FPS) that its pretty good, but possibly repetitive. I was hung up on the decision as well since the $1 deal is so good in terms of game count and the $6 deal is so-so since its mostly DLC (one of which is free) but I jumped on it anyway.

JakeD

tried to grab it twice, first time it went "unavailable"...then it came back and i tried again, got to check out and it was 27.99. it was not meant to be

fantomena

I want to pick up a DS4 and leave these 360 pads behind, but the sales tax alone on those next-gen controllers is worth 1-2 PC games.

Ive been using both a third-party 360 controller and an official 360 controller which works with my PC. So far the DS4 has been the best.

Thinking about buying another DS4 so I can have 1 primaraily for PC and the other for my PS4.

I really love how the fan made DS4 driver works as well as it does. Could easily been the official driver.

oipic

Oh wow this is tempting. Did they add proper xinput support yet?

Also are any of the other games in the bundle decent..

I've been playing Tales of Maj'Eyal for the past 2.5 hours (thanks again, Grief!), and if you're at all into roguelikes with RPG elements, I'd say it's well worth your time. Enjoying it very much so far.

(and for a game with a wacky 1,255 achievements, I'm somehow yet to unlock one!)

I want to pick up a DS4 and leave these 360 pads behind, but the sales tax alone on those next-gen controllers is worth 1-2 PC games.

I actually held one for the first time yesterday and was very tempted.

Meanwhile Ballpoint Universe. Looked interesting... but it isn't.

Turfster

I actually held one for the first time yesterday and was very tempted.

Meanwhile Ballpoint Universe. Looked interesting... but it isn't.

Yeah, it's a... real waste of the drawing conceit. The drawings are nice and I like the "overworld", but the shooter gameplay...

Dr Dogg

tried to grab it twice, first time it went "unavailable"...then it came back and i tried again, got to check out and it was 27.99. it was not meant to be

That's probably fate giving you a sign you dodged a bullet.

Thanks to how shitty the UK's retail sector is doing DS4's are slowly dropping in price. Considering the RRP is £54.99 I've seen them for about £42 in some places. Still way too much for me but I'm holding out for the official release Steam Controller or any third party variants and their subsequent feedback before taking a plunge.

Grief.exe

I've been playing Tales of Maj'Eyal for the past 2.5 hours (thanks again, Grief!), and if you're at all into roguelikes with RPG elements, I'd say it's well worth your time. Enjoying it very much so far.

(and for a game with a wacky 1,255 achievements, I'm somehow yet to unlock one!)

Damn, I want to meet the guy that gets all those achievements then.

Thanks to how shitty the UK's retail sector is doing DS4's are slowly dropping in price. Considering the RRP is £54.99 I've seen them for about £42 in some places. Still way too much for me but I'm holding out for the official release Steam Controller or any third party variants and their subsequent feedback before taking a plunge.

That is a good point, wait for the Steam controller to drop first.

SRIV does have a clever setting for glitches. I can't tell if some of what I'm seeing is supposed to be part of the game or not.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

That's probably fate giving you a sign you dodged a bullet.

Fifty five quid?! :eek: LOL Sony!

hohoXD123

Ive been using both a third-party 360 controller and an official 360 controller which works with my PC. So far the DS4 has been the best.

Thinking about buying another DS4 so I can have 1 primaraily for PC and the other for my PS4.

I really love how the fan made DS4 driver works as well as it does. Could easily been the official driver.

Strangely I'm finding the 360 pad better for Dark Souls but the DS4 better for everything else. Yeah, those drivers work very well, though is there any decent key mapping software available specifically for the DS4? Would be so convenient to bind F12 to the touchpad button.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Strangely I'm finding the 360 pad better for Dark Souls but the DS4 better for everything else. Yeah, those drivers work very well, though is there any decent key mapping software available specifically for the DS4? Would be so convenient to bind F12 to the touchpad button.

Joy2key or xpadder?

Santini

Achievements are currently bugged, looking at the Steam forum. I unlocked one this morning; it showed up in-game, but hasn't shown in my Steam profile.

Dr Dogg

That is a good point, wait for the Steam controller to drop first.

Hahaha I think that about the 2nd time I've said to you "wait for the Steam Controller". I think with the newer button layout it's going to be more suitable for legacy titles but still enable purely mouse and keyboard driven titles to break free of the desk. Well I hope so any way.

Fifty five quid?! :eek: LOL Sony!

Well GAME are trying it on at £59.99. Not even PC World have gone that loopy, as by me they are now at £49.99 in the Jan Sales (yeah not great I know). Tesco had them for £40 plus £2 delivery but I'm not paying that for a joypad. If it was third party and not packaged as a propitiatory PS4 peripheral (despite working on a pc) it wouldn't be near that price.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Reus -- MB-D5AFD170E382E68B - Taken by Buttonbasher. 13 entrants total.
Surgeon Simulator -- MB-DB1B943E2723EC7E - Taken by 2n2. 9 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-0EB9D5074F2EF195 - Taken by akskiller. 2 entrants total.

t1390013173z1.png

boop.

oipic

[Tales of Maj'Eyal] Achievements are currently bugged, looking at the Steam forum. I unlocked one this morning; it showed up in-game, but hasn't shown in my Steam profile.

Ah, I see - I've received a few in-game pop-up notifications indicating achievements of some sort or another, so that makes sense. Thanks, Santini. :)

Dr Dogg

Right then after one day I've managed in 9 hours to get 33% of SR IV finished (well according to the save screen). Fingers crossed I can crank out the other 67% by the time the weekend is up or at least the main plot. Really don't want to leave it hanging and I got the feeling there will be a more compellingly priced Full Package version out later in the year.

derFeef

Right then after one day I've managed in 9 hours to get 33% of SR IV finished (well according to the save screen). Fingers crossed I can crank out the other 67% by the time the weekend is up or at least the main plot. Really don't want to leave it hanging and I got the feeling there will be a more compellingly priced Full Package version out later in the year.

I have 56 hours and 53% ;)
Guess those DLC added some achievements too, never played any of it :/

Chronoja

Any Cthulhu game just makes me sad that Dark Corners of the Earth never got its well-deserved sequel. The game was so good that Amnesia pretty much ripped it off wholesale.

*snip*

Maybe I played a different Dark Corners of the Earth to everyone else but that game sucked balls. It had all the elements to be a decent game but just wasted all the potential. Plus calling it "Call of Cthulhu" is a huge misnomer but I guess fewer people would have played it under "The Shadow Over Innsmouth: Dark Corners of the Earth"

On the topic of Cthulhu, has there been any word I may have missed as to what's taking Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land so long in coming to steam. It got greenlit ages ago and since then nary a peep about it, yet the game goes on sale at various other sites, Gamersgate, Gala Store etc. Don't even care if it sucks, would like to play it (via steam) anyways.

Dr Dogg

I have 56 hours and 53% ;)
Guess those DLC added some achievements too, never played any of it :/

Well I've noticed doing the side quests doesn't really add much competition compared to the main story but it is slowly chipping away at the activities. 3 took me 30 hours to finish it with about 80% done so if I can get the same I'll be happy.

So weird to be playing Deadly Premonition at a framerate other than 25 FPS and have it look sharp and unaliased. Resolution woes aside(thanks Durante!), holy shit at aim being mapped to the space bar.

Edit: Why does the framerate go to shit when you change to a controller?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
SRIV does have a clever setting for glitches. I can't tell if some of what I'm seeing is supposed to be part of the game or not.

The first time I saw those in-game I was really creeped out. Beating up people with giant lips and eyeballs just seemed rude. They probably have a hard enough life.

DocSeuss

Maybe I played a different Dark Corners of the Earth to everyone else but that game sucked balls. It had all the elements to be a decent game but just wasted all the potential. Plus calling it "Call of Cthulhu" is a huge misnomer but I guess fewer people would have played it under "The Shadow Over Innsmouth: Dark Corners of the Earth"

On the topic of Cthulhu, has there been any word I may have missed as to what's taking Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land so long in coming to steam. It got greenlit ages ago and since then nary a peep about it, yet the game goes on sale at various other sites, Gamersgate, Gala Store etc. Don't even care if it sucks, would like to play it (via steam) anyways.

Honestly, I'd come off of playing games like STALKER when I got to Dark Corners of the Earth, so the jank didn't bother me at all.

We need more janky, ambitious games.

Plus, the shoggoth sequence is the scariest single video game sequence of all time.

HoosTrax

It is weird that I get more motion sick using kbm than when I use a controller sitting at my computer? Maybe my monitor is too close to me and I'm cross-eyed...

Faabulous

I've grabbed the CoH2 DCE from amazon almost on impulse, but reading the steam reviews I'm starting to regret it.

You should regret it. It's a lazy game, made terrible by a focus on microtransactions. Now you just gave a license for Relic to make more of this shit. Shame on you.

Dr Dogg

It is weird that I get more motion sick using kbm than when I use a controller sitting at my computer? Maybe my monitor is too close to me and I'm cross-eyed...

I don't know. My posture is more upright when using kb&m whilst I slouch back in my chair like a scruffy teenager when using a controller.

dani_dc

The speed of the camera turning is probably slower with the controller in comparission with a KBM, that could have something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom