• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

I really hope Revengeance goes on sale sometime soon this year. I have a compulsive obsession where I am almost physically unable to buy something that I know sold for a lot cheaper previously. Oh, how many years I have waited for this game...and yet, I am hindered by this illness. I really want Deadly Premonition, too, but I don't know if I should get that entire indie bundle when that's the only game I really want.

You can always wait until the last day or so and see if Indie Gala will be doing happy hour for the bundle, you can normally get the full bundle for around $2 to $3.

mannerbot

Is Spelunky a RPG now?

No, it's always been a platformer with elements borrowed from roguelike games (specifically permadeath, procedurally generated levels, sacrificial altar, etc.). It's never claimed to belong to the same sub-genre of RPGs as Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Brogue, ToME, and Papers, Please.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What it really highlights is we don't have enough roguelike dancing games.

Indie devs, please.

Your Shape sure felt like it at times with it's DLC. Utterly depressing when failed and you lose all the growth on that chart when you failed.

TGMIII

The future of videogames will be freemium Roguelike MOBA E-Sports platformers targeted towards cyber-athletes.

16bit visual style for good measure.

The term for the "sub-genre" of roguelikes has always sounded kind of off to me. So, okay. Those games are similar to, or share characteristics with, a game by the name of Rogue, so we dub them "roguelikes". But then we have games that like games that are like Rogue, so we get roguelike-likes. I'm awaiting a future of roguelike-like-roguelikes like Rogue.

I think the term you're looking for is Rogue-light. I've seen a few developers give their game that term recently.

cicero

I come back after a few hours only to find that I missed out on a golden night of giveaways. Sorry I missed out, but really nice generosity you have shown the community here, Dupy. Kudos!

Exuro

Just beat Saints Row IV thanks to the free weekend. I usually get bored with open world missions but this game nailed it with its main story missions. Game was hilarious as well. Going to try coop tomorrow with my brother.

Grief.exe

Friday night, long weekend, gonna be great.

0mhLKjy.png

See you guys in about 40-50 hours.

Enjoy it, but damn does it look like Square didn't give a shit for that one.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I come back after a few hours only to find that I missed out on a golden night of giveaways. Sorry I missed out, but really nice generosity you have shown the community here, Dupy. Kudos!

Don't worry, I lurk. I'll be back:)

cicero

It's ok. I didn't get anything either ;)
I saw your response and now suddenly feel the need to kill a few shopkeepers tonight. If only they could be killed by the same spiders that kill us. I would blow up Kali altars and send tides of tiny spiders into their shops.

It's obvious you need to buy ten copies of The Ship, because each copy is also another four that need to be spread.

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▐
░░░░░░▄▄▄░░▄██▄
░░░░░▐▀█▀▌░░░░▀█▄
░░░░░▐█▄█▌░░░░░░▀█▄
░░░░░░▀▄▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
░░░░▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀
░░░█▀▄▄▄█░▀▀
░░░▌░▄▄▄▐▌▀▀▀
▄░▐░░░▄▄░█░▀▀ U HAVE BEEN SPOOKED BY THE
▀█▌░░░▄░▀█▀░▀
░░░░░░░▄▄▐▌▄▄
░░░░░░░▀███▀█░▄
░░░░░░▐▌▀▄▀▄▀▐▄SPOOKY SKILENTON
░░░░░░▐▀░░░░░░▐▌
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░▐▌░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░▐▌SEND THIS TO 7 PPL OR SKELINTONS WILL EAT YOU

Tellaerin

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▐
░░░░░░▄▄▄░░▄██▄
░░░░░▐▀█▀▌░░░░▀█▄
░░░░░▐█▄█▌░░░░░░▀█▄
░░░░░░▀▄▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
░░░░▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀
░░░█▀▄▄▄█░▀▀
░░░▌░▄▄▄▐▌▀▀▀
▄░▐░░░▄▄░█░▀▀ U HAVE BEEN SPOOKED BY THE
▀█▌░░░▄░▀█▀░▀
░░░░░░░▄▄▐▌▄▄
░░░░░░░▀███▀█░▄
░░░░░░▐▌▀▄▀▄▀▐▄SPOOKY SKILENTON
░░░░░░▐▀░░░░░░▐▌
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░▐▌░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░▐▌SEND THIS TO 7 PPL OR SKELINTONS WILL EAT YOU

^ I think I fought some of those in Paranautical Activity. >.>

Caerith

Saints Row IV has a Dark City reference. Clearly the people at Volition have good taste.

I think the term you're looking for is Rogue-light. I've seen a few developers give their game that term recently.
A lot of people get their (figurative) panties in a bunch over the term "roguelike" being used to describe anything other than Rogue and, occasionally, Nethack (which is a clone of Rogue). Roguelikes are Shakespearian crocodiles.

No need for PM. I'M WATCHING ALL OF YOU

(My post-There Came an Echo game is going to be utterly ludicrous.)

When is Utterly Ludicrous coming out?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enjoy it, but damn does it look like Square didn't give a shit for that one.

Yeah, it certainly seems like the sloppiest of the Android ports, and it's $15 which is usually WAY more than I spend on a single game (because come on, that's like 15 games on Steam) but it's my favorite Final Fantasy and I have need of a mobile game, so I'm happy to pay it. Already made it to South Figaro and spent about 10 minutes listening to one of the best audio tracks in the game.

Grief.exe

How is the audio quality in this version Jshacks?

I'm really not liking the two weapon limit in Last Light. They have so many cool guns to try, but it wouldn't be an optimal setup for me.

At least let us hold two primaries and a pistol, the pistol designs look really interesting.

graywolf323

Yeah, it certainly seems like the sloppiest of the Android ports, and it's $15 which is usually WAY more than I spend on a single game (because come on, that's like 15 games on Steam) but it's my favorite Final Fantasy and I have need of a mobile game, so I'm happy to pay it. Already made it to South Figaro and spent about 10 minutes listening to one of the best audio tracks in the game.

I'm with you Jshackles, at least once the iOS port releases

I just can't resist having FFVI on my phone

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How is the audio quality in this version Jshacks?

I'm biased because I'm a huge Uematsu fan and I really believe this is his best work. However, sadly, the seems ripped directly from the SNES version of the game. It's been a few years since the last time I played the original, so I could be wrong.

Not that having the original audio is necessarily a bad thing - like I said, this is some of the best music in any Final Fantasy game. I know the purists would hate it, but I wish they would have gone with a more orchestral score. Oh well, I just hope that the Distant Worlds concert I'm going to in April has a good selection (or any selection) of FF6 music.

Grief.exe

I'm biased because I'm a huge Uematsu fan and I really believe this is his best work. However, sadly, the seems ripped directly from the SNES version of the game. It's been a few years since the last time I played the original, so I could be wrong.

Not that having the original audio is necessarily a bad thing - like I said, this is some of the best music in any Final Fantasy game. I know the purists would hate it, but I wish they would have gone with a more orchestral score. Oh well, I just hope that the Distant Worlds concert I'm going to in April has a good selection (or any selection) of FF6 music.

At least its not the audio quality from the GBA version.

The original sound is fine, but I agree, a fully orchestral track would have been ideal. Or, at least, give us the option.

Levyne

Banned
Blah. Soured on Singularity by the end. Play Bioshock (any) or Metro (either) instead.

Play Singularity if you're 5/5 on those.

Caerith

You can see the songs from the various setlists here. They really don't like playing the song the concert is named after, it seems.

Tenrius

Blah. Soured on Singularity by the end. Play Bioshock (any) or Metro (either) instead.

Play Singularity if you're 5/5 on those.

I vaguely remember liking it. It's not superb, but it gets the job done for the most part. A 7/10 game, if I'm allowed to use that scale lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Singularity is probably going to go down as Raven's last non-Call of Duty project and that makes me sad. Like Wolf09 it's not without its flaws but certainly quite solid overall.

"If I learned anything at Steam Dev Days it's that the Portal games are a perfect analogy to how Valve does business, for better or worse."

heh

I think his most accomplished work was in FFIX. So many memorable, melodic tunes that you forget just how good of a soundtrack that game had. I'm not exactly a purist, as I think the limitations of the SNES soundchip held back the FFVI score somewhat. I'd be in favour of a rework, like FFX HD got, even though that was very hit and miss. VI and VII have the best world map themes by far. IV and IX follow closely behind.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
xdS67Fw.gif

I'd enter this, but I have most of the games, but not most of the Half Life era games (except HL1, DoD and CS).

A tip: If you can somehow get a copy of Gunman Chronicles, the CD-key will register on Steam and will get you Half Life 1 and its expansions along with the GoldSRC versions of Counter Strike.

Dr Dogg

Props to Dupy and the evening of giveaway madness.

Why do Deadly Premonition's achievements spoil the story?

Whose bright idea was that?

I've been noticing a few games have been doing this recently. Bizarrely Steam does allow for hidden achievements but it seams devs/pubs are neglecting to use them. Bastards!

Roguelike RPG/roguelike with RPG elements is like saying ATM machine. Please stop.

Well we did get DmC: Devil May Cry. It's just a trend all the cool kids are doing.

I've been noticing a few games have been doing this recently. Bizarrely Steam does allow for hidden achievements but it seams devs/pubs are neglecting to use them. Bastards!

It's why I never read achievement/trophy lists beforehand anymore. I consider that experience sacrosanct, so anything that messes with that, I just don't want to know.

Few humble bundle extras

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Arma II -- MB-CBE5AB16BB13D099 - Taken by Relax.MX
Alpha Prime -- MB-EC4CAD7EB0019B99 - Taken by Dambrosi
HOARD -- MB-95EBCB9F9D932B45 - Taken by Man Puncher
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-8E958247D4C282C9 - Taken by Iron Badger
ARMA: Gold Edition -- MB-9A29AA261C3AAE45 - Taken by nightstorm

Anustart

So im playing Fez and the marks that a secret is in a room. After 20 minutes of hopping around and pressing shift and control on everything I google it.

How in the fuck was I supposed to know the game has a make believe alphabet and button codes I need to decipher to continue? Did I miss this explanation somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom