• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The social challenges. Fun times. There were days where you couldn't go 10 miles without seeing a Royal Convoy or White Whale and days where absolutely nothing appeared. I was lucky to find all three in a single session.

I hope it's fixed now.

It took me a good few hours or so but I got virtually all of them done today. I'd found one royal convoy a few weeks ago and came across another two earlier today completely by dumb luck; for the whales and chests, I worked my way through these lists, then took a break for about two hours before doing it again, which got me across the proverbial finish line.

I probably would have been able to complete the challenges just through normal play, but I read that there was an issue with the social aspect of the game that required players to change their Uplay password in order for the convoys/chests/whales to appear -- once I did this I finally came across the aforementioned first convoy and, relatively speaking, didn't have much of tough time finding the rest once I went looking for them.

Thanks! In the spirit of take one, give one (two):

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Closure -- MB-41E33E381E490335 - Taken by Ryne
Pid -- MB-FBD51F32E8618DC8 - Taken by jonno394

Jawmuncher

How is the save system in Deadly Premonition? I can probably stomach the crashes but not if they constantly make me lose too much progress.

You have to save in the hotel room phone or at pay phones.
But I think that Directors Cut added auto saving as well.

Ryne

I screwed up by taking Closure, sorry. I didn't mean to be a jerk :(

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Guilty Gear Isuka -- MB-7828FFDE81F8CD0B - Taken by Saty

How is the save system in Deadly Premonition? I can probably stomach the crashes but not if they constantly make me lose too much progress.

There's tons of phones everywhere to save at and you can gather your progress back fairly quickly. Only parts that might suck are one certain slow chapter (been there done that...) and having to drive X amount of road again.

Faabulous

I messed up. I won UFO earlier thinking I wouldn't buy the bundle, but then I went and bought the bundle lol. So here is my UFO, since I already redeemed one I won from GAF:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

UFO: Afterlight -- MB-CAE53ED353AC8616 - Taken by Zeitgeister. 1 entrants total.

t1390051021z1.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How does the DayZ mod compare to the Standalone?

It seems right up my alley in some ways, but don't want to drop 25 euro on the standalone only to find out I don't like it. Some videos make it seem like there seems to be a lot of running around looting houses without much else going on. Then again, some other footage looks amazing so I am somewhat torn.

It's good as a demo, but Rocket (and modders) won't fix the "Zombie Sharks" due to the Arma 2 engine limitations to where the "zombie" game isn't really a "zombie" game if you go into buildings (that some mods of the mod do), and it's an issue in the Standalone last I checked.

Like Grief said: It's a good sprint-board/demo to see if you want to get the Standalone in terms of $6 "demo" versus $30 blind-buy.

I still say DayZ as a "game" has immense potential coming between the mod and stand-alone, but (IMO) it isn't reaching it because the community it's built isn't wanting that. That's fine, that doesn't mean it's a "terrible" game but (IMO) it's a "bad game" because it doesn't make the zombies a pure threat and nothing but an annoyance between "deathmatching" other people.

I'd probably say the same thing for Rust if I tried that. But I don't think the "survival" genre is really "survival" but more "griefing/trolling sandbox" right now. :/

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, so after playing around in Divinity: Original Sin, I can safely say that

A) Only the most ardent fans need sign up for the Early Access. It is VERY early access. Playable, but so much is missing at this point it's more of a proof of concept than anything. We're talking missing letters in dialog, the screen doesn't pan down if your mouse is to the right of the tool bar, some of the instructions are in a different language....it's rough. The combat seems fleshed out and is massively enjoyable.

B) If the final product successfully builds off of what is there, this is going to one hell of a game.

Take, for instance, a small part of the game that you can miss pretty easy. As you wander along a pier, a ship catches fire. NPCs rush to put out the fire. If you don't have a mage with the right spells, sucks for them, the ship sinks. There is no eternally burning ship waiting for you to go find Jimbo's Bucket of Water and bring it back. You either can do something about it, or you can't. I had a mage with only fire spells and healing, so my journal just updated and said "you couldn't do anything to save the ship, so it sank."

Another point, you can fight to save some guards early on, or just ignore the battle and watch them get slaughtered. The fight happens regardless of what you do. This has become pretty common in games like Skyrim, but it really hasn't bled over into party based cRPGs. Neat little bit.

The end. So far, the world seems to exist with you in it, not around you because you exist in it.

Divius

I still say DayZ as a "game" has immense potential coming between the mod and stand-alone, but (IMO) it isn't reaching it because the community it's built isn't wanting that. That's fine, that doesn't mean it's a "terrible" game but (IMO) it's a "bad game" because it doesn't make the zombies a pure threat and nothing but an annoyance between "deathmatching" other people.

I'd probably say the same thing for Rust if I tried that. But I don't think the "survival" genre is really "survival" but more "griefing/trolling sandbox" right now. :/
This is also the impression I get, yes. How would you see it fixed/improved?

jonno394

Hey guys, if anyone doesn't have this yet, I heard GAF thinks it's a good game...

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deadly Premonition: The Directors Cut -- MB-ABB1EAC4C8DD05EA - Taken by The-Bean. 9 entrants total.

t1390052236z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do I tell which one I do actually own?

You own both: the Deluxe Edition is the regular GOTY Edition with this as a cherry on top. Sadly there is just the one Oblivion app. :(

Edit: Though to answer your question, just check the DLC tab of Oblivion. If you own the DLC, then you own the Deluxe GOTY Edition; if not, then you own the regular GOTY Edition. The fact that the DGOTYE DLC is just named "Oblivion Game of the Year DLC" doesn't make the matter any less confusing. ;)

Acccent

Hey guys, if anyone doesn't have this yet, I heard GAF thinks it's a good game...

Thanks for the giveaway, but are you sure you did everything right? Apparently the countdown has expired which should make it first-come-first-serve, and I sent a PM to ModBot to try and take it and didn't get any reply...

jonno394

Thanks for the giveaway, but are you sure you did everything right? Apparently the countdown has expired which should make it first-come-first-serve, and I sent a PM to ModBot to try and take it and didn't get any reply...

Im sure I did, as i've copied and pasted the PM. Give it a few minutes as 15 minutes is about to be up and if no success i'll delete the post and PM you the code.

Ban Puncher

Timer is fucked at the moment.

If in doubt, check the post time. Still a few minutes to go, thirsty.

If the BTA is still 5 something it's well worth it.
I know while it has some issues to crashing it's still worth the experience at that price.

Crashing? :/ Man, that's one of the things that I hate the absolute most in video games. I'm not sure. The atmosphere seems nice but the game seems to have tons of performance issues. What to do, what to do.

If anyone has a spare copy of deadly premonition there willing to trade pm me I've some stuff to trade and I'd rather not buy the whole bundle for 1 game

The-Bean

Whoa, I won. Thank you so much. I've won quite a bit from you guys now and have only given away a few, I'll surely be giving some more games soon.

Many thanks to all you generous souls.

Acccent

Im sure I did, as i've copied and pasted the PM. Give it a few minutes as 15 minutes is about to be up and if no success i'll delete the post and PM you the code.

okay my bad!

Timer is fucked at the moment.

If in doubt, check the post time. Still a few minutes to go, thirsty.

haha I'm not thirsty I was actually hesitant to enter the raffle at all, but I was like, if absolutely no one wants it I might as well take it
irQbimzVk8oAk.png

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I remember playing Isuka on the PS2 and having my ass completely handed to me. I don't think I did well in any of the modes the game had.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finally have internet again. Internet went out at 2:30ish am and Ive been tortured without it til now. Jesus Christ.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So im playing Fez and the marks that a secret is in a room. After 20 minutes of hopping around and pressing shift and control on everything I google it.

How in the fuck was I supposed to know the game has a make believe alphabet and button codes I need to decipher to continue? Did I miss this explanation somewhere?
The is a super late post, but did you forget about the very beginning of the game when the bigass cube talks to you using that very alphabet? (It comes up again later too.) I don't remember finding any obvious hints for it, but it's probably meant to be solvable the same way you'd crack any cryptogram found on a newspaper puzzle page.

As for the button codes, those are explicitly revealed to you in a room that you presumably hadn't gotten to yet...and if you can't figure out how to string them together right then, step-by-step instructions are in yet another room.

You can't* solve every secret room in Fez on the first pass. So if you're stumped, move on and come back later. You might get an idea or simply learn something new about the game world that's applicable from a different room.

* maybe it's technically possible, but highly improbable unless you're using a FAQ

I finally finished up the social challenges in Black Flag (share three royal convoy/social chest/white whale locations) so I can finally focus on completing the campaign and the handful of far-less-frustrating challenges that remain.

That sounds like such an chore.

derExperte

Only ~50% of my 163 installed games work under 8.1.

And they all did with 8.0? I haven't encountered one that suddenly stopped working, are you sure anything else isn't scewed up? I had to totally de- and then reinstall my graphics driver to fix a few problems.

sheaaaa

I finally finished up the social challenges in Black Flag (share three royal convoy/social chest/white whale locations) so I can finally focus on completing the campaign and the handful of far-less-frustrating challenges that remain.

Those sound like a nightmare. Do you get anything worthwhile in-game or is it a completionist/achievement thing?

And they all did with 8.0? I haven't encountered one that suddenly stopped working, are you sure anything else isn't scewed up? I had to totally de- and then reinstall my graphics driver to fix a few problems.
Yeah, they all worked fine on 8.0. Updated drivers (and I always remove previous drivers).

I think I've put down 10 hours trying to fix issues in 8.1. There's simply no feature in 8.1 that makes the jump worth it. 8.0 runs fantastic anyway, I really don't see any reason to upgrade until they either fixes the issues or releases 8.2.

milena87

Those sound like a nightmare. Do you get anything worthwhile in-game or is it a completionist/achievement thing?

They're not bad, you just need to spot them in the game; you don't need to destroy the royal convoy, or kill the white whale or even open the chest.

But if you do they give you money or, in the case of the white whale, materials. There's also an achievement for finding them of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom