• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But as there's no cd key associated with it (nothing I can see) it's pretty much useless?

Yep. My original thought was that the SP DLC apps were being used as a reference point so Steam knows to look to them when a user is checking out and prevent an attempted duplicate purchase (e.g. if a user owns Illustrious Pirates (SP) then don't let them buy Assassin's Creed Black Flag - Illustrious Pirates Pack Activation Key), but this isn't the case.

Edit: Ah, apparently Ubi gave it out so existing owners have the Freedom Cry data in the event that they decide to buy it (thanks to spindoctor for the heads-up).

Gvaz

Banned
So I'm making them anyways, but I was wondering would there be any interest in a Let's Play of Deadly Premonition with some commentary? I'm not super funny but I'm working on a complete playthrough.

It's also a completely blind playthrough, as I know nothing about the game, and I am not looking at spoilers, or walkthroughs or whatever. (it seems to take a while to upload 1080p on my connection though.)

Divius

How does the DayZ mod compare to the Standalone?

It seems right up my alley in some ways, but don't want to drop 25 euro on the standalone only to find out I don't like it. Some videos make it seem like there seems to be a lot of running around looting houses without much else going on. Then again, some other footage looks amazing so I am somewhat torn.

Grief.exe

How does the DayZ mod compare to the Standalone?

It seems right up my alley in some ways, but don't want to drop 25 euro on the standalone only to find out I don't like it. Some videos make it seem like there seems to be a lot of running around looting houses without much else going on. Then again, some other footage looks amazing so I am somewhat torn.

The standalone is pretty bare bones right now, while the mod has a ridiculous amount of content through custom mods.

They are very similar though. The mod is a good testing ground to see if you want to springboard into the Standalone, and will have more options for you to try through additional mods.

Dr Dogg

It's why I never read achievement/trophy lists beforehand anymore. I consider that experience sacrosanct, so anything that messes with that, I just don't want to know.

While I don't usually look at the lists until I've finished a game, sometimes the urge is too great (especially when they contain ones with tickers to competing a certain objective) and then the shit hits the fan. While I do feel secret or hidden achievements are a bit shitty (gives you nothing to aim for or results you having to look them up unless they unlock with progression) for story based games they could at least hide blatant spoilers.

Or here's an idea don't use titles and descriptions that will spoil your game! Typical Alan Wake syndrome.

An embarrassing request, but can someone please post in this thread, so I don't make a triplepost? Some post-mortem/opinion pieces from SDD started to show up, and probably more to come.

Might make a separate thread for it, once there will be more, for now it's probably better to keep them there.

edit: Thanks guys ^^

kurahador

While I don't usually look at the lists until I've finished a game, sometimes the urge is too great (especially when they contain ones with tickers to competing a certain objective) and then the shit hits the fan. While I do feel secret or hidden achievements are a bit shitty (gives you nothing to aim for or results you having to look them up unless they unlock with progression) for story based games they could at least hide blatant spoilers.

Or here's an idea don't use titles and descriptions that will spoil your game! Typical Alan Wake syndrome.

Not all....Witcher 2 hide its achievements if viewed via inlay steam, and hide the explanation of said achievements when viewed in browser.

Hell, I'll do it:

Just one favor to ask, please don't redeem Deadly Premonition if you don't really want to play it. I usually don't care who gets one as long as someone claims it, but like I said, Deadly Premonition might be a shitty port, but it's still the definitive version of a "shitty" game that was my GOTY before I even played it and more so after I played it. And yeah, it's cheap on the bundle itself but go on ahead if you like one or more of the following:

1) Majoras Mask
2) Twin Peaks
3) Silent Hill

Laxius Force is still up for grabs:
Laxius Force (Desura) -- MB-A6801665D3E93B37

25 hours in on Batman: Arkham Origins now. Main campaign was completed in roughly 18 hours. I screwed around a bit in the open world but mostly just focused on the campaign. Now I've gotten 80% of the Enigma Challenges and only have two criminals left to tackle. Haven't really touched the combat challenges although I honestly don't know how much time I'll sink into them.

Dr Dogg

Not all....Witcher 2 hide its achievements if viewed via inlay steam, and hide the explanation of said achievements when viewed in browser.

Yeah as I said in my original post, the Steamworks API has the function to allow for hidden achievements but that relies on devs/pubs actually using it which as of late some of them haven't.

Dr Dogg

Shareware!

Hahaha I remember the one copy of Doom that circulated my friends for about 2 years until some of us decided to just go but it. The local newsagents used to have a metric ton of shareware titles in a basket hidden under the gardening mags. How times have changed.

Ban Puncher

I want Metal Gear Rising on Steam but I already bought the special edition with the exclusive Raiden action figure and DLC on both 360 and PS3 the day of release. Kojima has enough of my goddamn money.

Will continue to stalk any and all MGR giveaways.

Kojima has enough of my goddamn money.

are you sure

1365522727848.gif

Guess it's just free to play, never heard of this I guess I'll give it a try =o

edit: actually it looks like a horror game, 2spooky4me

It's really not, it tries to be for like the first 30 minutes but the story kind of takes a turn, worth playing to me, it took me about 2 hours to beat and wasn't anything special but it was still pretty fun.

JaseC

Hahaha I remember the one copy of Doom that circulated my friends for about 2 years until some of us decided to just go but it. The local newsagents used to have a metric ton of shareware titles in a basket hidden under the gardening mags. How times have changed.

Doom was the first Windows game I ever played.

Dr Dogg

I want Metal Gear Rising on Steam but I already bought the special edition with the exclusive Raiden action figure and DLC on both 360 and PS3 the day of release. Kojima has enough of my goddamn money.

Will continue to stalk any and all MGR giveaways.

Well considering I've bought MGS 1 4 times, MGS 2 6 times,, MGS 3 7 times, MGS 4 3 times and now Rising twice Kojima knows there are mad bastards like me that will snafu any and all MGS special edition thingy. I hate to think what will happen if Metal Gear starts spreading its wing on Steam.

Doom was the first Windows game I ever played.

Windows? That was heresy to speak of that in our house during the 90's. DOS was (and in my heart still is) king.

I think the first taste of pc gaming I had was Police Quest on a friend from junior school's old crusty 286 with a dazzling EGA screen. All in blue, and purple glory. Of course then Monkey Island got me hooked on adventure games but I didn't get fully into pc gaming until the summer of 93 and the Doom epidemic. By 94 and Championship Manager and Warcraft were out that was it for me, pc or nothing. Many a paper round wages were saved to get my foot on the first rung of the ladder.

mrgone

My first Windows game was solitaire like every true productivity professional, but Doom was the first game that killed all my productivity

Well considering I've bought MGS 1 4 times, MGS 2 6 times,, MGS 3 7 times, MGS 4 3 times and now Rising twice Kojima knows there are mad bastards like me that will snafu any and all MGS special edition thingy. I hate to think what will happen if Metal Gear starts spreading its wing on Steam.

Windows? That was heresy to speak of that in our house during the 90's. DOS was (and in my heart still is) king.

I think the first taste of pc gaming I had was Police Quest on a friend from junior school's old crusty 286 with a dazzling EGA screen. All in blue, and purple glory. Of course then Monkey Island got me hooked on adventure games but I didn't get fully into pc gaming until the summer of 93 and the Doom epidemic. By 94 and Championship Manager and Warcraft were out that was it for me, pc or nothing. Many a paper round wages were saved to get my foot on the first rung of the ladder.

I basically bought my first PC just so I could play Championship Manager, when it moved from the Amiga to the PC. The name may have changed, but good lord, does that series still rule over my life. Somebody has gotta take Liverpool to Premiership glory.

What do you guys think of Deadly Premonition: DC on PC?

1. Controller support?
2. Framerate issues?
3. Glitches?
4. Specific performance issues one should know about?

Worth buying?

Dr Dogg

I basically bought my first PC just so I could play Championship Manager, when it moved from the Amiga to the PC. The name may have changed, but good lord, does that series still rule over my life. Somebody has gotta take Liverpool to Premiership glory.

I swear during my college years that I played CM more than I slept. Good job I went to art college or I'd have been fucked.

Jawmuncher

What do you guys think of Deadly Premonition: DC on PC?

1. Controller support?
2. Framerate issues?
3. Glitches?
4. Specific performance issues one should know about?

Worth buying?

If the BTA is still 5 something it's well worth it.
I know while it has some issues to crashing it's still worth the experience at that price.

JaseC

I finally finished up the social challenges in Black Flag (share three royal convoy/social chest/white whale locations) so I can finally focus on completing the campaign and the handful of far-less-frustrating challenges that remain.

Divius

Just played a bit of Sonic Racing and wow that is fun. The controls feel great, the game looks colorful and fun. Any GAF members that still play this? How is the MP? Feel free to add me if you want to play sometime.

milena87

I finally finished up the social challenges in Black Flag (share three royal convoy/social chest/white whale locations) so I can finally focus on completing the campaign and the handful of far-less-frustrating challenges that remain.

The social challenges. Fun times. There were days where you couldn't go 10 miles without seeing a Royal Convoy or White Whale and days where absolutely nothing appeared. I was lucky to find all three in a single session.

I hope it's fixed now.

koma

Everyone should watch Twin Peaks before playing Deadly Premonition, or you will lose half of the charm of its story and characters.

ModBot said:
Instructions for crimsonheadGCN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ARMA: Gold Edition -- MB-332E7FD59FDDF04D - Taken by LiquidMetal14
ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead -- MB-7B97D801CB8520F4 - Taken by YianGaruga

Enjoy.

Jawmuncher

Everyone should watch Twin Peaks before playing Deadly Premonition, or you will lose half of the charm of its story and characters.

This might be true but at the same time I think it just depends on the mindset you go in with. I had never seen Twin Peaks and didn't even know Deadly premonition was a homage of sorts to it. Still absolutely loved the game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How is the save system in Deadly Premonition? I can probably stomach the crashes but not if they constantly make me lose too much progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom