• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only ~50% of my 163 installed games work under 8.1.

I'd stay away if gaming is important. Also, there's still issues with mouse input.

What? Wow. Well I use my computer for other stuff much more than I play games on it, but it might not be worth it to upgrade then? 8.0 runs just fine but 8.1 seem to have some nice little upgrades.

sheaaaa

A competionist thing. I couldn't care less about the achievements.

They're not bad, you just need to spot them in the game; you don't need to destroy the royal convoy, or kill the white whale or even open the chest.

But if you do they give you money or, in the case of the white whale, materials. There's also an achievement for finding them of course.

They sound fun to do, but terrible to hunt down. I hope I won't have too much of a problem. Thanks for the help.

derExperte

What? Wow. Well I use my computer for other stuff much more than I play games on it, but it might not be worth it to upgrade then? 8.0 runs just fine but 8.1 seem to have some nice little upgrades.

8.1 improves so many little things that imo it's an essential upgrade. And too would like a list with the games that doesn't work because I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.

Wtf is this? I didn't know Steam does this!
li7RPzm.jpg

The game is L4D2. I bought a retail copy during launch day. I was playing the game yesterday fine but on my work PC. I feel scared for my other games (MGR, Dark Souls) since they're not available in my region. MGR key was bought from getgamesgo, while Dark Souls was a retail copy.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Steam not working for me. >.>

I apparently got a gift but I can't check inventory or the store or any steam page really. I have Enhanced Steam activated at it so it shouldnt be acting like that >.>

li7RPzm.jpg

The game is L4D2. I bought a retail copy during launch day. I was playing the game yesterday fine but on my work PC. I feel scared for my other games (MGR, Dark Souls) since they're not available in my region. MGR key was bought from getgamesgo, while Dark Souls was a retail copy.

Oh fuck, it begins.

The-Bean

I seem to remember seeing something about this the other day. Are you in the client beta? That could be it.

Which games don't work? I haven't found any that didn't.

I'm not on 8.1 at the moment, but these are the ones I remember:

Not even starting: Sim City, Path of Exile, Deadly Premonition (if this counts, but it at least starts on my 8.0), Eschalon: Book I, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Kerbal Space Program, Driver: San Fransisco, Robin Hood

Games with issues: Stanley Parable, CSGO, games that doesn't use raw input

I could try reinstalling 80 games, but I'm not reinstalling 80 games for 8.1. There's simply not a single particularly useful feature within 8.1 so I'm perfectly fine with 8.0.

In my opinion, not worth the risk. But if there's a feature you really want, try it out, and be sure to make a clean install and be prepared to apply the recently added fix to all the games without raw-input, if you want to play with a mouse.
Do you have the 2903939 update installed? That’s the one that fixes the mouse issues on W8.1.

Yeah, but that's not a fix, it's a workaround. And you need to apply it manually for every game without raw mouse input (except for those 10 games they included).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They sound fun to do, but terrible to hunt down. I hope I won't have too much of a problem. Thanks for the help.

The convoys I stumbled upon by dumb luck, but for the whales and chests I consulted this handy GameFAQs thread, which is full of locations for all three (specifically, I used this list for the chests and this list for the whales). Each social "event" only lasts for several hours and they're entirely randomised, so if you're not having much luck, try again 2 or 3 hours later.

Backlogger

Do you guys know if it's safe to upgrade to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 8?). Are games in general compatible with 8.1?

I have had zero issues when it comes to gaming that I could directly attribute to 8.0 or 8.1 and if I did and I forgot about it it was probably something I fixed easily

PriitV

Not even starting: Sim City, Path of Exile, Deadly Premonition (if this counts, but it at least starts on my 8.0), Eschalon: Book I, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Kerbal Space Program, Driver: San Fransisco, Robin Hood

Of those I can confirm that on my 8.1 the following games do run without any issues: Path of Exile, Xcom, Kerbal space program, driver san fransico, stanley parable, csgo,

li7RPzm.jpg

Wtf Valve

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
li7RPzm.jpg

Something must be awry because there are no region-locked L4D2 subs (Valve hasn't partaken in region-locking since the Orange Box debacle).

Xcom and Robin Hood work fine for me. The only game I had issues with 8.1 was Test Drive Ferrari or something.

I could try reinstalling 80 games, but I'm not reinstalling 80 games for 8.1. There's simply not a single particularly useful feature within 8.1 so I'm perfectly fine with 8.0.

In my opinion, not worth the risk. But if there's a feature you really want, try it out, and be sure to make a clean install and be prepared to apply the recently added fix to all the games without raw-input, if you want to play with a mouse.

Yeah, but that's not a fix, it's a workaround. And you need to apply it manually for every game without raw mouse input (except for those 10 games they included).

Definitely something wrong with your drivers or something else, path of exile and testament of sherlock work fine on my 8.1, haven't tried the others.

Gvaz

Banned
li7RPzm.jpg

Why even bother to have it in your steam list then? (i mean that on valve's end)

jediyoshi

Only ~50% of my 163 installed games work under 8.1.

I'd stay away if gaming is important. Also, there's still issues with mouse input.

Do you have a list of examples? The only games I can think of being affected are Max Payne 1 & 2 and those went from broken to fixed.

gabbo

li7RPzm.jpg

If it continues to happen after a steam restart, open a ticket and let Valve know

Definitely something wrong with your drivers or something else, path of exile and testament of sherlock work fine on my 8.1, haven't tried the others.

I played The Stanley Parable without issue, so I'm inclined to agree. CS:GO works fine too, other than the fact that I like to use a controller and it's a pain in the ass to get it to load the configuration right so my analog sticks work. :|

Why even bother to have it in your steam list then? (i mean that on valve's end)

Could be something where you have a laptop with L4D2 on it and travel abroad and try to play a game at some point while out of your native country.

Not a highly likely scenario, but if I had a good laptop and my job put me on assignment in a foreign country, I could see it being a scenario for it being in my list but not working -- if Valve did region locking and this isn't just a screwup. :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Path of Exile and XCom works for me too. I don't have the others.

Only game that doesn't work right for me is Company of Heroes. It causes a massive memory leak and crashes with a "get more memory n00b" message. I think 8gb is good enough to run a 8 year old game though.

Parsnip

My biggest block in Fez was
the alphabet. "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" isn't a thing in here, expecting me to know a pangram for a foreign language was a bit much.
I mean I've heard it, but it took a long while for me to notice the thing and even longer to realize what it meant. Outside of that, Fez was kind of easy. Everything else seemed pretty logical.

There's a visual cue in a room that unlocks the entire alphabet if you recognize it (and probably only if you speak English)

There's be a multi-sided monolith, and next to it is a little fox jumping over a shuffling dog. "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is the most famous super-short sentence that has every letter of the alphabet in it.

So I noticed that, noticed the monolith with all the text, went "hmmmm"... then eventually figured it out. After that, the "positional/directional" code was cake. The number code though? Screw that.

But yeah, if you're not familiar with the sentence the language thing is probably a huuuuuuge challenge. It still remains one of my favorite gaming moments though. I was so used to nonsense languages a-la Klonoa and whatnot, when I put two and two together and figured it out I actually put the controller, and just sat there for a minute, mind blown.

Sounds great. Could be something on my end, but I did try out some games (this was on launch though) on a different computer with 8.1 and experienced the same issues. Updated drivers of course.

What to make of it? Not sure.

I still think the jump isn't worth it, considering the mouse issues and that there are, in fact, several features missing in 8.1; like the Skydrive Desktop app, Windows Easy Transfer, Windows 7 Backup & System Image Recovery, hub apps and Google Sync in calendar. Small things but at the same time there isn't a single feature in 8.1 that I miss having in 8.0.

Jawmuncher

So I set my Laptop back to factory defaults and everything seems to be back in order....
Guess some program or setting was just going nuts causing the crashes. Mad I couldn't track down exactly what it was.

derExperte

DP definitely works fine (if you ignore the known bugs) and I haven't heard of problems with the other ones.

HoosTrax

I just played through the entirety of XCOM EU on 8.1 last weekend.

I seem to remember seeing something about this the other day. Are you in the client beta? That could be it.
Heyoooo I checked and saw that I was in client beta. I don't remember opting in. Turned it off, restarted and now it's fine.

Still unsettling that there's a feature like that though. :/

JakeD

felt the urge to play some old school mortal kombat. download, 10 minute directx install, launch, "this GFWL profile could not be downloaded completely," right click, delete local content

good stuff

DukeBobby

So, yeah, Dark Souls is cool. I started it yesterday, and rung the bell at the top of the Undead Parish. Just entered the Darkroot Garden.

I've had the game for ages, but I've been putting it off for so, so long.

I'm not having too much trouble so far, but I wish I didn't start it just after finishing Metal Gear Rising. I keep trying to parry attacks, which leads to a lot of unnecessary deaths. I suck at timing.

I tried playing deadly premonition and i get like 10fps, I can play battlefield 3 with more fps than that, I am guessing it is just a horrible port and I should give up? I was thinking maybe its just the rain in the first part of the game.

Jawmuncher

I tried playing deadly premonition and i get like 10fps, I can play battlefield 3 with more fps than that, I am guessing it is just a horrible port and I should give up? I was thinking maybe its just the rain in the first part of the game.

Did Durante's patch do anything?
I mean wouldn't hurt to try.

Tecl0n

I'm not having too much trouble so far, but I wish I didn't start it just after finishing Metal Gear Rising. I keep trying to parry attacks, which leads to a lot of unnecessary deaths. I suck at timing.

Look out for what kind of shield you are using, different shields have different parry windows.

The_Monk

So, yeah, Dark Souls is cool. I started it yesterday, and rung the bell at the top of the Undead Parish. Just entered the Darkroot Garden.

I've had the game for ages, but I've been putting it off for so, so long.

Great to know, I saw you playing and I was going to chat with you but with Dark Souls, any distraction could lead to death so it was for the best. ;) Get some points in Endurance, it helped me a lot, early in the game.

DukeBobby

Look out for what kind of shield you are using, different shields have different parry windows.

Good to know, thanks.

Great to know, I saw you playing and I was going to chat with you but with Dark Souls, any distraction could lead to death so it was for the best. ;) Get some points in Endurance, it helped me a lot, early in the game.

Yeah, I've been putting most of my points into Vitality and Endurance. Intelligence and Faith seem pretty useless, so I've been ignoring those two. Well, until someone tells me otherwise.

masterkajo

Good to know, thanks.

Yeah, I've been putting most of my points into Vitality and Endurance. Intelligence and Faith seem pretty useless, so I've been ignoring those two. Well, until someone tells me otherwise.

Intelligence and Faith are required for casting and improving effects of Sorceries and Miracles, respectively. So if you focus on swordplay you do not really need them. Better to have more HP and Stamina to actually survive.

For fucks sake, I bought some AA rechargable batteries for my 360 controller yesterday and the won't fit the damn thing. Looks like they're a little wider than normal batteries :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom