• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glow

Banned
Thinking of playing Dead Space next. Played quite a bit of it on console. But should use controller again, or is it better with mouse and keyboard?

It's better with a controller but that's my personal opinion, I prefer controller to kb+m even in shooters. For Dead Space on PC, you really need to downsample the resolution. The aliasing in that game is awful.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
No but it was the cheapest place I could find a physical copy of 007 Legends that activates on Steam.

Yeah I'm in the US, shipping was another EUR 3,24. All together cost was $31.93.

I picked up a copy of 007 recently as well, though it was a bit higher and on eBay. I actually saw this one before I bought it but wasn't sure if I could/how to order it from the US. Nice to know for the future, I guess.

fozzy

It's better with a controller but that's my personal opinion, I prefer controller to kb+m even in shooters. For Dead Space on PC, you really need to downsample the resolution. The aliasing in that game is awful.

Thanks for your opinion. Think I'll try mouse and keyboard first then.

sprinkles

Whelp, I did it:

qVraVmR.png

All for a good cause i guess:

d89Y1BK.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to buy the LE of The Darkness 2 because it includes some DLC that isn't available separately, but I find myself at a crossroads: the ROW version contains one less item of DLC but buying the German version will put the game into a low-violence state (great job there, 2K -- why couldn't you just handle censorship using data depots like normal publishers).

Teppic

I want to buy the LE of The Darkness 2 because it includes some DLC that isn't available separately, but I find myself at a crossroads: the ROW version contains one less item of DLC but buying the German version will put the game into a low-violence state (great job there, 2K -- why couldn't you just handle censorship using data depots like normal publishers).
Just don't buy a retail copy. My codes had expired. I think it was The Darkness 2, either that or Darksiders 2

Myshkin

Hope someone has a use for these:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Myshkin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Myshkin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Darksiders II DLC: Abyssal Forge -- MB-5D82C70182A40BB5 - Taken by Archaix. 4 entrants total.
Gettysburg: Armored Warfare (multiplayer only RTS) -- MB-9A2D293957C0B2C1 - Taken by Vandrar. 1 entrants total.

t1390070775z1.png

You say that but deep down you'd miss it. :p

No.

Modbot should have it's own thread too. Far too much actual game discussion is lost between fawning over avatars and gifting. I know this is a 'community' thread now, so I guess rules are relaxed slightly, but to have 'rules' for one thing (such as buy and selling going into some other thread) and not another (modbot and avatar worshiping) just seems odd.

sprinkles

Getting rid of a few spares to celebrate my new job position as Director of Acquisitions.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Arma II -- MB-00F5BBAD180DFAC1 - Taken by Deadbeat. 11 entrants total.
Brothers -- MB-F26A7883A93F26CE - Taken by Natty1. 41 entrants total.
Natural Selection 2 -- MB-06D7B59EA611B7F0 - Taken by fozzy. 9 entrants total.
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-832DB8FB8E57E591 - Taken by fspm. 10 entrants total.
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-353A02A2E562B9D7 - Taken by kurahador. 21 entrants total.
Killing Floor -- MB-C9AD074BF56A9941 - Taken by Uga. 3 entrants total.
Serious Sam 3 -- MB-3B547EAD0781D6C9 - Taken by topyy. 4 entrants total.

t1390080540z1.png

Edit: that should be Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, not Two Brothers

JaseC

No.

Modbot should have it's own thread too. Far too much actual game discussion is lost between fawning over avatars and gifting. I know this is a 'community' thread now, so I guess rules are relaxed slightly, but to have 'rules' for one thing (such as buy and selling going into some other thread) and not another (modbot and avatar worshiping) just seems odd.

Aw. Giveaways can get in the way by the sheer number of them that can occur and the "Thanks!" posts that tend to follow but the Saoirse stuff hardly derails the thread.

Aw. Giveaways can get in the way by the sheer number of them that can occur and the "Thanks!" posts that tend to follow but the Saoirse stuff hardly derails the thread.

It shouldn't as it has it's own thread now, so those that wish to partake in such fawning have a place to do so. Those who think it might be tedious and overplayed won't have any issue or even mention it.

And there was much rejoicing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The Saoirse stuff happens pretty randomly and it doesnt last much compared to the wall of thank you messages indeed. But I think modbot shouldnt have a dedicated thread as it would bring more lurkers than we have already. People will be hawking that thread instead of naturally posting on the thread.

JaseC

It shouldn't as it has it's own thread now, so those that wish to partake in such fawning have a place to do so. Those who think it might be tedious and overplayed won't have any issue or even mention it.

And there was much rejoicing.

I think you've managed to convince yourself that there's a problem where there isn't one. 99% of the Saoirse-related "discussion" is just an image in response to a post and the actual discussion is both rare and brief.

It might not be derailing the thread if you're into her, but it gets really annoying if you're not.

JaseC

It might not be derailing the thread if you're into her, but it gets really annoying if you're not.

The thread going off on Saoirse-related tangents doesn't happen as often as you seem to think. Most recently we had maybe, what, five posts on the Razzie nomination and before that... I'd say Stump's mini-review of How I Live Now 2.5-3 weeks ago? I realise people find the discussion eyeroll-worthy but it's far from cancerous and a little bit of OT talk is par for the course when the thread is in a lull (the 3DS comes to mind). If the mods feel that OT talk in general is getting out of hand then that's fine but I don't think I'm shitting up the thread by responding to the occasional Saoirse-related aside.

milena87

Lol okay it's the number one bitched about segment on consoles. If you are on PC there is no reason to make the game anymore difficult for that segment.

Yeah, that's true. At least you have the two options on PC. On consoles you were either extremely lucky or you needed to up the brightness to the maximum to see the incoming asteroids from far away.

Saty

We were trying to process your Humble Weekly Sale: Bohemia Interactive order, but unfortunately your transaction was flagged for review by Amazon Payments. As a result, there may be a delay in processing your order. The specific message from Amazon was "The transaction has been flagged for manual investigation.".

Your payment should go through within 24 hours, and we will send you another email when it does (or if there is a problem).
What is that all about?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/300beta/discussions/0/630802978942254221/#c630802979237056623

This image is a rendering of a 3D printed prototype created as a proof of concept. It's a partial design, created to test a reconfiguration of ABXY and the 4 buttons in the middle of the first prototype. (You may have noticed It's also missing a few buttons.) You can expect to see more info and more explorations from us as the beta progresses...

why this constantly has to be pointed out is beyond me. Are prototypes/betas/WIPs such a hard concept to grasp?

JaseC

Huh, they're changing the controller design. I was kind of fond of the previous version tbh, looked more considered and innovative.

The X360 controller being the standard was always going to make for an uphill battle. On the bright side, the lack of a touchscreen should make the controller notably cheaper.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No.

I think the rationale behind keeping buying and selling out of the thread is more about avoiding liability issues and dramatics associated with it. Someone is asking too much, someone didn't pay, someone resells, someone ripped someone off, whatever.

Whereas the rationale behind keeping out off-topic content is to protect discussion. So from my perspective, the question to be asked about off-topic type content is whether or not it is impeding the stated purpose of the thread--impressions, reviews, release news, troubleshooting, platform developments, etc. And it seems to me that absent the rush of people offloading garbage after the latest turd bundle features it, giveaways largely don't impede stuff. The personal chat room stuff occasionally gets in the way, but normally during lull periods which are short lived and typically replaced with on-topic content when a new game comes out or there's new news.

Trading is kind of in the middle because there's both a sort of liability/drama risk AND a flooding risk with someone bumping because no one is paying attention to their trades. There's a lot of stuff that's sort of dual-purpose too, like discussing Greenlight stuff. It's ok to do it in here. It's OK to do it in the Greenlight thread. And it's OK for any one individual game to get a thread discussing it, or any one batch of Greenlit games. The important thing is that new users are not overpowered by an entrenched community, and they can find the information they need. I think we have a pretty useful OP here and people are generally pretty positive about responding to requests for info or help, so that objective feels like it's being achieved to me.

One challenge is that if you build a thread around exclusively giveaways, it basically removes the community aspect and friendliness and generosity from the picture. It becomes more faceless. No one on SteamGifts cares who they're getting it from or who they're giving it to, because no one has any connection besides the instrumental transaction of the giveaway.

But obviously if it's spammy... and I agree some of the thanking posts get a little spammy... and it's obstructing conversation then it's something that should be sunsetted. I take measures to try to prevent that (for example the big giveaways done with unclaimed keys are done in separate threads so as to avoid messing up this one).

Huh, they're changing the controller design. I was kind of fond of the previous version tbh, looked more considered and innovative.

There was a thread about: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752114&highlight=steam+dev+days

basically the touchscreen ended up redundant and would have added unnecessary costs. And well, the testers asked for traditional facebuttons or dpads for a while. This also makes it backwards compatible, sorta. I really don't mind that they removed it, the trackpads are the most important part of it anyway.

Has there been any further word on when the controller will be released?

I think at the SDD panel they said in a couple of months, perhaps? Not sure. Knowing Valve this might take a while, I'm sure though it'll be ready for the Alienware's SM release around September, seeing as how that's a special SM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom