• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Fixed that for you :p

Glad you're enjoying it. I found it quite dull and repetitive. All that hopping around got old real quick. The world felt empty and uninspiring. Just not a memorable game :/
I found it the opposite honestly. I normally have a hard time playing open world games, but I went through IV's main mission pretty quickly and found it a lot of fun with tons of unique missions.

We're not, though. I don't know why you're so focused on the "avatar" stuff, when it's basically one or two people sometimes, rarely, using reaction gifs. Most of the rest of the time, we discuss games (new and old) and deals involving Steam keys in here, or help people with PC related problems.

I'll lurk more often and see how it goes. Understand the modbot appreciation now that people have explained it slightly more, and agree that at times the 'thank yous' can be too much at times. I guess it doesn't help that most of the time it's the same games over and over again from Indie Bundles, but there are people out there that don't have those games. So it's worthwhile to someone.

However, just because I haven't posted in a thread much in 2013, or in 6 months, shouldn't mean anything I do post is less valid than a 'regular'. Yet, that's the nature of community threads sometimes.

Dr Dogg

*surfaces for air* Saint's Row IV is the shit. *dives back in*

Dude I know what you mean. I'm feel like I'm neglecting my library of purchases as I've not put this much time into a game in ages.

I need a break as too much neon light has frazzled my eyes but damn I can't wait to get back in.

Feel kind of guilty, like I'm exploiting a freebie. Unless this is Deep Silver's/Volition's intention and make me cough up for it as a way of saying thanks.

rtcn63

I have one of these, goes for ~$25 on sale from Amazon (LaCrosse BC-700)

La-Crosse-BC-700-Battery-Charger_634329399069062500.jpg

You can set the charge rate, though slow is generally preferred if you care for the life of the battery itself. My only real issue with it (and smart chargers in general) is that it won't recognize a fully depleted battery. I currently need to find my old ratshack charger to revive one of my AAs.

Coreda

It's funny, I seem to have had the opposite experience in SteamGAF. I've been enjoying it. Came in for a peek during the holiday sales and everyone was having a blast, giving and receiving gifts - best Christmas threads on GAF, really.

The friendly banter encourages more posts in the thread I feel, and keeps the threads going.

cicero

Sorry is this is a silly question. I saw some people scoffing at the humble weekly sale with all the Arma stuff and Day Z mod. If want to try out DayZ and have none of the required content, that's a pretty darn good deal, right?

Personally, I think the Bohemia Interactive Weekly Humble Bundle is a very good deal and well worth the $6.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My wishlist was like $500-$600 on the winter sale now that its back to normal and it's worth $1,196.77.

Oh lord.
e5YuU.gif

Hey! I still liked the sequel. I'm a sucker for Piranha Bytes games though..

And that's ok.
No it isn't.

I can see the appeal, the combat system is just so monotonous and broken [especially when compared to the original] it dragged everything else in the game down. Then again I must admit I didn't get far into it; does melee combat drastically differ by the end?

Teppic

Plus it would remove the post in current or previous thread requirement which determines to some degree that actual community members, or people at least making an effort to post five times, are the ones getting the gifts and not merely hoards of drive-by users who only want something for free.
I've been wondering about this rule. Is is really a positive thing to have? Won't it just attract more useless posts and spam?

louiedog

I have one of these, goes for ~$25 on sale from Amazon

La-Crosse-BC-700-Battery-Charger_634329399069062500.jpg

You can set the charge the rate, though slow is generally preferred if you care for the life of the battery itself. My only real issue with it (and smart chargers in general) is that it won't recognize a fully depleted battery. I currently need to find my old ratshack charger to bring one of my AAs to life.

I have an earlier model and it's a really great charger. That $30 investment along with another $30 worth of batteries 5 years ago has been totally worth it just in the time I spend thinking about batteries. I use my Eneloops and Amazon Basics rechargeables in everything.

Have you tried jumping the battery yourself? I've done it myself quite a few times with success. You can find details about 2/3 down on this page.

Turfster

I've been wondering about this rule. Is is really a positive thing to have? Won't it just attract more useless posts and spam?

It weeds out the random lurkers that can't even be arsed to make 5 posts. The people that just want to get the 5 posts usually do them in the mad rush on the first couple of pages, where most of the posts are pretty 'useless' anyway, so the system is working out pretty well.

r3n4ud

I found it the opposite honestly. I normally have a hard time playing open world games, but I went through IV's main mission pretty quickly and found it a lot of fun with tons of unique missions.

I had a good time with the missions for the first couple hours into the game. But once you've upgraded your abilities, I lost all interest. I found the combat grew quite dull and repetitious. I don't know, guess I was hoping for more out of the game since I enjoy the franchise as a whole.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

While it might get useless posts and spam sometimes it encourages the users to add something to the community. Sure we see people reach the minimum of 5 posts and leave it at that but still people manage to get a conversation around more than the spam.

rtcn63

Have you tried jumping the battery yourself? I've done it myself quite a few times with success. You can find details about 2/3 down on this page.

I have, might want to consider hitting up walgreens form some paper clips in case my old dumb charger is legitimately MIA. It was in my living room a few weeks ago, I'm sure of it.

At the very least it makes some people contribute. Stuff from the 5 post rule is really just ignored here (from what I've seen), and it doesn't really hinder much discussion imo.

Teppic

It weeds out the random lurkers that can't even be arsed to make 5 posts. The people that just want to get the 5 posts usually do them in the mad rush on the first couple of pages, where most of the posts are pretty 'useless' anyway, so the system is working out pretty well.
Five posts is a lot to make in a thread moving this fast. At least I think so :p

cicero

I haven't either, and yeah, there are reasons for that.

Steam chat isn't much different than the Steam threads these days though, both are notable for containing somewhat insular communities who primarily shoot the shit with each other daily. I find out Steam related deals, price mistakes etc. (way) earlier in the chats I frequent than in this thread anymore. Many never get posted here at all.

Aliens: Isolation pre-order for $10 at Amazon being the most recent.

Well, I for one have missed you in these threads recently. I had thought you might have gotten a little burned-out from all of the updates and info providing you were doing for a while there. I certainly found them quite beneficial and noteworthy. I hope whatever reasons there have been shift in some way so you feel like interacting here more often! Also, I hope you write more reviews, I have really enjoyed them.

louiedog

I have, might want to consider hitting up walgreens form some paper clips in case my old dumb charger is legitimately MIA. It was in my living room a few weeks ago, I'm sure of it.

I can never find paperclips when I need them anymore, probably because I haven't bought any in years. I think the last time I did it I put the negative end against a steel pot and laid a nail clipper on the positives for 10 seconds or so.

rtcn63

I can never find paperclips when I need them anymore, probably because I haven't bought any in years. I think the last time I did it I put the negative end against a steel pot and laid a nail clipper on the positives for 10 seconds or so.

I'm not MacGyver bro

Kiru

And that's ok.
No it isn't.

I can see the appeal, the combat system is just so monotonous and broken [especially when compared to the original] it dragged everything else in the game down. Then again I must admit I didn't get far into it; does melee combat drastically differ by the end?
I don't think so. Never tried the voodoo stuff though, which is basically like magic stuff from the older games.

Yeah Piranha Bytes has to do something about the combat in their games, it's still similar to the first Gothic game which was maybe good back then but is really monotonous and lacking nowadays.

HoosTrax

I love Valve for following MS in this with their pad instead of rhe terrible Sony way of internal battery plus usb charging that so many people love, UGH.
The Valve prototype uses AA batteries? Didn't know that -- I've only seen pictures of the front of it.

The thing that bothers me about the internal battery pack is not so much the wire itself, since I'm sitting next to me computer anyway. It's that 1) they're proprietary, and 2) expensive to replace once they start to not be able to hold a charge.

I can see it becoming a major problem years or decades down the line when those proprietary batteries are no longer being made.

Turfster

Five posts is a lot to make in a thread moving this fast. At least I think so :p

But wouldn't the faster topic revolution make it easier to find something to comment on? ;)
Also, nothing stops you from introducing a topic yourself, or commenting on current deals.

Speaking of deals, the first Trine is currently 99 cents on the Humble Store, for those that might have missed it in the previous bundles/sales.

cicero

However, just because I haven't posted in a thread much in 2013, or in 6 months, shouldn't mean anything I do post is less valid than a 'regular'. Yet, that's the nature of community threads sometimes.

I completely agree. It wasn't my intent to imply that your opinions were inherently worth less because you weren't around as much. I think that the general impression I had was that maybe you might not have been entirely as familiar as more regular participants with the usual day to day general tone of these threads. I have seen some questions or comments go unnoticed or unanswered due to Modbot posts, or the inevitable thank you responses, but usually the community here has been pretty good about being helpful or informative. I also haven't seen the whole Avatar talk thing as being a detrimental issue over the past year as you seem to have felt it was. Personally, I tend to enjoy a more informal atmosphere because I think it lends itself to friendliness and a tone of generosity whereas hard formal rules regarding community discourse etc, do not.

Weird issues with bluetooth -- a little off-topic, but I figure one of you guys might know and I do use it when playing games on Steam... ;)

So (1) Windows has been updating every time I shutdown lately. I think it's finding the stock BT driver and changing my dongle back... that's issue 1 -- I've told windows update to ask me what to do from now on and not to install drivers automatically... which leaves (2)

It seems like the bluetooth is sometimes "sleeping" until something attempts to pair with it. For some reason my DS3 won't trigger this, but my DS4 will. Is there any way to get Windows to just load the BT service and leave it working so I don't have to get the DS4 to attempt to connect just to make my DS3 work?

Grief.exe

The Valve prototype uses AA batteries? Didn't know that -- I've only seen pictures of the front of it.

The thing that bothers me about the internal battery pack is not so much the wire itself, since I'm sitting next to me computer anyway. It's that 1) they're proprietary, and 2) expensive to replace once they start to not be able to hold a charge.

I can see it becoming a major problem years or decades down the line when those proprietary batteries are no longer being made.

Which naturally happens to battery packs overtime.

I liked the way Microsoft handled the 360 controller. Gave you the option of battery pack or using double a batteries.

I wish all controllers would use batteries. My dualshock 4 lasts around 4-6 average depending on what I'm playing wheras my Xbox One controller lasted an incredible 30 or so before it had to be changed. Just popped in some batteries that were on charge and right back into it.

Kiru

I wish all controllers would use batteries. My dualshock 4 lasts around 4-6 average depending on what I'm playing wheras my Xbox One controller lasted an incredible 30 or so before it had to be changed. Just popped in some batteries that were on charge and right back into it.

I heard the Wii U Pro Controller has an insane battery life of 80 hours.

Turfster

Weird issues with bluetooth -- a little off-topic, but I figure one of you guys might know and I do use it when playing games on Steam... ;)

So (1) Windows has been updating every time I shutdown lately. I think it's finding the stock BT driver and changing my dongle back... that's issue 1 -- I've told windows update to ask me what to do from now on and not to install drivers automatically... which leaves (2)

It seems like the bluetooth is sometimes "sleeping" until something attempts to pair with it. For some reason my DS3 won't trigger this, but my DS4 will. Is there any way to get Windows to just load the BT service and leave it working so I don't have to get the DS4 to attempt to connect just to make my DS3 work?

What's your dongle make and model? Also which version of windows?
Mine is always "active". Granted, I haven't tried to sync my DS3 with it for ages. Maybe it's also a matter of the drivers you use to recognise the DS3?

HoosTrax

What kind of wireless protocol does the XB1 controller use? Is it some wierd-ass proprietary standard that's going to necessitate an ugly dongle again, instead of Bluetooth like Ninty and Sony?

I'm also kind of curious if the 360 dongle would work if you used an internal USB header and stuffed it inside your case -- would it be able to receive a signal properly.

Teppic

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rise of the Triad -- MB-5480DCD140EDED0F - Taken by Sajjaja. 16 entrants total.

t1390079596z1.png

What's your dongle make and model? Also which version of windows?
Mine is always "active". Granted, I haven't tried to sync my DS3 with it for ages. Maybe it's also a matter of the drivers you use to recognise the DS3?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GFX0PY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521)

Windows 8.1, I think.

Even before using the Scarlet.Crush SCP DS3 Service, I was using DS4 Tool, which had the DS4 paired with the normal BT drivers. Even then, when I'd first boot the PC and turn on the DS4, I'd have to wait for the "configuring bluetooth services..." dialog box to pop and then the controller would connect.

Witcher 2 most definitely.

you played human revolution and/or alpha protocol? if not, those work

Alpha Protocol has the best dialogue system. The Witcher series is really good as well.

Check out Divinity 2. It's often overlooked, but it's a really good game with some smart writing. Maybe a bit rough around the edges though.

Thanks for the recs. Divinity 2 and Alpha Protocol both look good. Not sure which I wanna do. Is that new Divinity game that just came out this week pretty much like Torchlight? Or does that have dialogue/decision branches too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom