• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think at the SDD panel they said in a couple of months, perhaps? Not sure. Knowing Valve this might take a while, I'm sure though it'll be ready for the Alienware's SM release around September, seeing as how that's a special SM.

Even accounting for Valve Time you'd certainly hope so, haha.

I just hope they'll be strong enough to resist putting in thumbsticks even if everyone and their grandma complains. You don't have to always conform to your users! ;)

I mean since 3rd party's can make and sell their SCs, someone will surely make a dual stick kit.

Saty

To be honest it's a bit weird they seem to have dropped the touch screen based on feedback that it wasn't used, when the controller they sent doesn't have a screen. How do they know the issues people reported aren't stemming because of the 4 regular buttons they have in the middle instead of an actual touch screen?

feel

I use the one that came with the pair of AAs I bought. I've never timed how long it takes to charge but it has to be between 6-8 hours because I usually charge them before I go to bed and when I wake up they're ready.
zxZ1z4E.jpg
I've used this one for years without any issues. I keep 2 Eneloop batteries on the pad (which last forever, godly batteries) and two on the charger ready for a quick swap when the charge runs out. Life is good that way, fuck going wired to charge. I love Valve for following MS in this with their pad instead of rhe terrible Sony way of internal battery plus usb charging that so many people love, UGH.

Question - does anyone have any recommendations for newish (past 5 years or less) action RPGs with dialogue trees & choice making systems ... something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3 or Dragon Age

My apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask something like this.

JaseC

Question - does anyone have any recommendations for newish (past 5 years or less) action RPGs with dialogue trees & choice making systems ... something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3 or Dragon Age

If you're okay with rather basic dialogue trees and your available choices being binary in nature, I recommend Kingdoms of Amalur. ;)

by Ubisoft TMQFEL Team Lead

"Time to go all-in on Steam I think. Low investment, big returns. #SteamDevDays"

:p

To be honest it's a bit weird they seem to have dropped the touch screen based on feedback that it wasn't used, when the controller they sent doesn't have a screen. How do they know the issues people reported aren't stemming because of the 4 regular buttons they have in the middle instead of an actual touch screen?

Would have had the same functionality. It was supposed to have 4 clickable zones and then scroll function, but ghosting made it redundant.

kurahador

Witcher 2 most definitely.

eyeless

you played human revolution and/or alpha protocol? if not, those work

Sajjaja

Alpha Protocol has the best dialogue system. The Witcher series is really good as well.

And so it begins. "I'm afraid I can't do that, Stump."

Pretty much.

Me: "Stump, I know you're busy and stuff, but can you look into this. Modbot won't nuke this 'key' that's a humble bundle gift. I've tried twice and the following register game attempts tell me it's already registered and taken, showing the nuke didn't work."
Stump: "Sure, I deleted it, you should be good to go now."
:send a new PM to modbot registering the game for giveaway:
Modbot: "I'm sorry, Frost. It looks like that key was already given away."

JaseC

Quite alright with it. I've been looking to play that actually. Heard good things.

Although sprawling to a fault, generally speaking it's not bad if you don't mind the lack of depth -- I'd describe it as Fable with World of Warcraftesque underpinnings and a God of War-lite combat system.

sprinkles

If you can live with a little Eurojank you could look at "Mars: War Logs" which is quite dialogue heavy. Or maybe "Of Orcs and Men" by the same publisher but I did not play that yet.

Tenrius

Check out Divinity 2. It's often overlooked, but it's a really good game with some smart writing. Maybe a bit rough around the edges though.

Locust

Oh man, I assumed the lower RU price for Divinity: Original Sin was also a mistake as with Next Car Game (missed that one). Thought I was lucky to get the 2-pack when it was at 899 rub. Now they're lowered it even further to 749. :v

Tenrius

Oh man, I assumed the lower RU price for Divinity: Original Sin was also a mistake as with Next Car Game (missed that one). Thought I was lucky to get the 2-pack when it was at 899 rub. Now they're lowered it even further to 749. :v

No such luck with Wasteland 2. Honestly, 1599 is just unrealistic.

Request for Metalmurphy - while SteamGAF Group might not be an 'Official' NeoGAF group on Steam, but is the closest we'll get (and it's where most of the members are now), can you either:

A - Hand over 'control' to someone more active within the group.
B - Give more 'control' to the Group Officers you promoted.

At the moment NO ONE other than YOU can create Announcements, Discussions, or Events for the group. So it's just a shell, with a chatroom (which has become increasingly more active this week - thanks for joining).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Divinity is really going to be an awesome game. If they fulfill what they're showing with this demo, it'll be top 5 material, easily.

milena87

Check out Divinity 2. It's often overlooked, but it's a really good game with some smart writing. Maybe a bit rough around the edges though.

I agree. Divinity 2 might not have the best graphics or combat, but it's still really enjoyable and charming. I finished it twice and absolutely loved it.
And you also have the ability to play as a dragon, so yeah.

Alpha Protocol and The Witcher 1&2 are also awesome games that I would recommend to anyone looking for an RPG.

Coreda

Divinity is really going to be an awesome game. If they fulfill what they're showing with this demo, it'll be top 5 material, easily.

Have only seen the KS video and some screenshots, but really looking forward to it as well. Seems to have a balance of material, a bit of playfulness and nice graphics.

Caerith

where would that be?

Also:
Airplane! reference in the cockpit.
(and Matrix Reloaded and Matrix in general but okay)

I wasn't quite prepared for that
romance
option though. Ridiculously Straight to the point.

When you're destroying one of the cluster things (whatever those big dome things are that you have to destroy the shield generators then destroy the main terminal).
"Shut it down. Shut it down forever!"

No shortage of call outs in SRIV.

You should probably keep this thread on hand as well. It's certainly become much more of an issue here than trading.

Wishful thinking dude

Man Rust and DayZ allow for some fucked up scenarios. So delightfully twisted.

I watched a few streams and....I've seem some shit. There are some seriously fucked up people roaming those universes.

No.

Modbot should have it's own thread too. Far too much actual game discussion is lost between fawning over avatars and gifting. I know this is a 'community' thread now, so I guess rules are relaxed slightly, but to have 'rules' for one thing (such as buy and selling going into some other thread) and not another (modbot and avatar worshiping) just seems odd.

Problem isn't the giveaways...it's the 'Thanks!" or 'awesome giveaway!' posts that come with them. IMO the 'PMTHANKS' shouldn't be an option. I know it isn't law-binding, but I find it helps when I include it in giveaways.

ModBot is a GREAT tool (thanks Sump) for giving games away 'random', and relegating it to another thread would defeat the purpose of 'giving back to the community.'

cicero

No.

Modbot should have it's own thread too. Far too much actual game discussion is lost between fawning over avatars and gifting. I know this is a 'community' thread now, so I guess rules are relaxed slightly, but to have 'rules' for one thing (such as buy and selling going into some other thread) and not another (modbot and avatar worshiping) just seems odd.

oh come on. Game discussion is "lost"?? These threads are fine the way they are. I would say that avatar talk is related almost entirely to the high level of visibility of the poster with the usually largest post count in these threads. But Jase also is probably the most informed person about Steam related information as well, and usually goes out of his way to answer most of the specific Steam related questions posed to the community when he is around. Modbot is a specific tool used to replace the old methods for community generosity in the form of code giveaways. Why should these beneficial and friendly non-formal expressions of community familiarity, generosity, or general Steam thread esprit de corps, suddenly be squelched to redress some non-existent threat to "game discussion"?

You haven't been in the Steam threads much in 2013, and certainly much less in the last six months. Maybe you are spending too much time in Steam chat?... ;P

I don't post much in here as I don't find it very welcoming! ;) Unless you play the popular opinion game, like an avatar, etc you largely go ignored. Of course that's just my experience, so I'm not saying that's the general feeling.

SteamGAF Chat is pretty friendly and has a good mixture of people, chat, everyday discussion and gaming discussion.

cicero

The Saoirse stuff happens pretty randomly and it doesnt last much compared to the wall of thank you messages indeed. But I think modbot shouldnt have a dedicated thread as it would bring more lurkers than we have already. People will be hawking that thread instead of naturally posting on the thread.

Plus it would remove the post in current or previous thread requirement which determines to some degree that actual community members, or people at least making an effort to post five times, are the ones getting the gifts and not merely hoards of drive-by users who only want something for free.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks Alien8 for Arma II. It seemed nobody else wanted it (time limit was up) so I grabbed it, but then now it says 3 entrants? That confuses me. Oh well, I wonder how it will run on my computer since some have said it's CPU-intensive.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Plus it would remove the post in current or previous thread requirement which determines to some degree that actual community members, or people at least making an effort to post five times, are the ones getting the gifts and not merely hoards of drive-by users who only want something for free.

That thread would be pretty much lurkers and hoarders the thread.

What?
Do you usually only post when both JaseC and myself aren't around or something? ;)

This is the most interaction I've ever had in this thread it comes after saying I don't much care for the fawning over an avatar. However I am informed that this community thread isn't avatar-centric!

vg260

Sorry is this is a silly question. I saw some people scoffing at the humble weekly sale with all the Arma stuff and Day Z mod. If want to try out DayZ and have none of the required content, that's a pretty darn good deal, right?

Turfster

Sorry is this is a silly question. I saw some people scoffing at the humble weekly sale with all the Arma stuff and Day Z mod. If want to try out DayZ and have none of the required content, that's a pretty darn good deal, right?

Yes.
There are other ARMA II mods you can try out if DayZ isn't your thing (or the base game itself).

This is the most interaction I've ever had in this thread it comes after saying I don't much care for the fawning over an avatar. However I am informed that this community thread isn't avatar-centric!

We're not, though. I don't know why you're so focused on the "avatar" stuff, when it's basically one or two people sometimes, rarely, using reaction gifs. Most of the rest of the time, we discuss games (new and old) and deals involving Steam keys in here, or help people with PC related problems.

Kiru

Thanks Alien8 for Arma II. It seemed nobody else wanted it (time limit was up) so I grabbed it, but then now it says 3 entrants? That confuses me. Oh well, I wonder how it will run on my computer since some have said it's CPU-intensive.

Countdown timer is just fucked up. It didn't really end.

The Witcher 2 is probably your best option, but Divinity 2, Two Worlds 2 and Risen [the original, not the terrible sequel] are all decent choices too.

r3n4ud

*surfaces for air* Saint's Row IV is shit. *dives back in*
Fixed that for you :p

Glad you're enjoying it. I found it quite dull and repetitive. All that hopping around got old real quick. The world felt empty and uninspiring. Just not a memorable game :/. I'm nearing the end and having a had time convincing myself to complete it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
You haven't been in the Steam threads much in 2013, and certainly much less in the last six months. Maybe you are spending too much time in Steam chat?... ;P

I haven't either, and yeah, there are reasons for that.

Steam chat isn't much different than the Steam threads these days though, both are notable for containing somewhat insular communities who primarily shoot the shit with each other daily. I find out Steam related deals, price mistakes etc. (way) earlier in the chats I frequent than in this thread anymore. Many never get posted here at all.

Aliens: Isolation pre-order for $10 at Amazon being one of the most recent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom