• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool giveaway Teppic, I have a strong memory of visiting a friend who had a computer when I was about 10 and he was playing this game. At the time it looked like the most amazing thing ever.

Alien8

Thanks Alien8 for Arma II. It seemed nobody else wanted it (time limit was up) so I grabbed it, but then now it says 3 entrants? That confuses me. Oh well, I wonder how it will run on my computer since some have said it's CPU-intensive.

Have fun!

Modbot is doing strange things with the time counter, as can be seen on Teppic's giveaway a few post above.

zhorkat

Thanks for the recs. Divinity 2 and Alpha Protocol both look good. Not sure which I wanna do. Is that new Divinity game that just came out this week pretty much like Torchlight? Or does that have dialogue/decision branches too?

You mean Original Sin? That's a turn-based RPG with dialogue/decision branches. It's in Early Access right now though, so you may want to wait on it for a while.

Request for Metalmurphy - while SteamGAF Group might not be an 'Official' NeoGAF group on Steam, but is the closest we'll get (and it's where most of the members are now), can you either:

A - Hand over 'control' to someone more active within the group.
B - Give more 'control' to the Group Officers you promoted.

At the moment NO ONE other than YOU can create Announcements, Discussions, or Events for the group. So it's just a shell, with a chatroom (which has become increasingly more active this week - thanks for joining).

Group officers are there to kick russian spammers, nothing more. No one has more power then anyone else, that's the whole point. I don't really like the accusation tone your going with that post really. Only "me" blablabla. What exactly is your problem? If I could remove that ability from my account I would.

Also any GAF mod has instant full officer status, it's been like that from the start, they can dictate the channel how they want.

Jusoni

Sooo, after drinking a bottle of wine, red, I found some humblebundle gamekeys! Wohoo! Doing a short raffle so all the slowpokes can get in on the action too.
For some reason it's showing the picture of Sanctum 2, do not be fooled it's the first.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sanctum -- MB-7BD7542733825A9E - Taken by Luap. 3 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die GOTY -- MB-555137E0B8D8DBA4 - Taken by ClassyPenguin. 2 entrants total.
Killing Floor -- MB-4CF1C1ADA8DEE699 - Taken by Fuu. 1 entrants total.
Serious Sam 3 BFE -- MB-DFF8B36D4E1A79D7 - Taken by Santini. 1 entrants total.
Hoard -- MB-85B3EAFD61536D6B - Taken by StAidan. 3 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-7E37E7E10ED268DA - Taken by Volimar. 1 entrants total.

t1390080856z1.png

Volimar

The Banner Saga. My poor starving caravan...

Sooo, after drinking a bottle of wine, red, I found some humblebundle gamekeys! Wohoo! Doing a short raffle so all the slowpokes can get in on the action too.
For some reason it's showing the picture of Sanctum 2, do not be fooled it's the first.

Great giveaway.

Thanks for woo and indeed hoo for gifting me Prey! I had maybe the biggest surprise face and smile when I opened that private message :O

(messed up and didn't get the "activation screenshot" but hey, at least I didn't post my Sexy Beach themed desktop hehe)

Such jubilant I am that I must cherish the moment myself and punish you with these games!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Camel Master:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bridge it (plus) -- MB-75719739023882D8 - Taken by Jusoni
And Yet It Moves -- MB-3227A3E504591DD2 - Taken by The Dear Leader
Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-2060FA3029316F45 - Taken by skullmuffins
Supreme Commander -- MB-16E8F792516C66DA - Taken by tylergregg
Naval Warfare -- MB-5360D955F12CC1C7 - Taken by Dimitri2401
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance -- MB-668B5DF6B3BA80F1 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda
Starpoint Gemini -- MB-C73DDFE7C0DEC665 - Taken by cicero
Rush Bros -- MB-1BCFBC06A89A6F89 - Taken by Gunstarheroes
Papo and Yo -- MB-624A0DBBF591C327 - Taken by Sajjaja
Aztaka -- MB-16085AB7E9F84569 - Taken by corrosivefrost
A Valley Without Wind 1 & 2 -- MB-D4B26FC0BD7C1334 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito
Hacker Evolution Games -- MB-921C9273304C5F52 - Taken by Shalashaska

And yeah.. I posted the steam keys a minute ago in this thread for like 2 seconds, meant to post them to modbot. I hope they didn't got lurked x_x

I've been talking to Metalmurphy about the Steam NeoGAF group:

Me: For a group that's suppose to be a community group you're the sole person who can do anything community related
Me: and seemingly you don't want to do it
Metalmurphy: dude stop saying it like that
Me: Well you are
Metalmurphy: but not because I want to be the only one to do it
Metalmurphy: no one can do it
Metalmurphy: me included
Me: I'm in groups where Officers can
Metalmurphy: well ur not on the gaf group
Me: So you might want to check the settings to make sure you've enabled them correctly
Metalmurphy: ur not getting it
Me: Officers should be able to - set events, set announcements, promote player of the week, promote normal members to moderators, etc
Me: I don't want it, so don't get petty
Metalmurphy: ur not getting it
Me: I'm saying those people who are currently mods should get it
Metalmurphy: its not about wether steam allows it or not, ofc it does
Metalmurphy: its about gaf mods not allowing it
Metalmurphy: and group members not enjoying the popup/sound notifications
Me: So basically you're being petty and deciding what's best for everyone else? Or am I not understanding you?
Metalmurphy: I'm not a gaf mod ffs
Metalmurphy: i'm just the group creator, pretend i don't exist

Murph is saying it's NeoGAF mods that don't want the Steam Group to have Announcements, Events Scheduled, Members promoted to moderators (for the Steam Group), and Player of the Week awarded to members. He has asked me to personally PM each and every NeoGAF mod to see if this has changed, as well as each and every member of the Steam NeoGAF Group to see if they want Announcements and Event Pop-Ups, as apparently the last time this happened Announcements and Event Pop-Ups caused a civil war.

However the few Steam Group Officers and Moderators I have spoken to say they have no control over the group, and cannot promote/demote members, ban memebers, and the only thing they CAN do is kick members from the Steam Chat. Again Murph has said that his was decided by NeoGAF moderators.

I'm posting this in the SteamGAF Community thread for transparency, and this is quicker than PMing everyone individually, since you can't mass PM. If a NeoGAF Mod can share this with other moderators please, I'd appreciate that.

I'm not personally asking for control of the group, or to be made a moderator of the group, simply that those who are currently moderators be allowed to set Announcements, Events and make active members of the chat moderators to help reflect what the Steam Community thread might be interested in.
For a long time the Steam Group has been a complete seperate entity to the SteamGAF thread, and at times there's even been a silent 'Us v Them' feeling between the two.
The idea is to bring the two parts closer together.

Creating a gaming night event for Borderlands 2 with fellow gaffers? YES PLEASE!

Metalmurphy: Find me someone that's trust worthy/responsible, get mod approval for him to post annoucments that will broadcast a popup notification with sound to EVERYONE on the group, then I'll make him an officer with the power to do so
Metalmurphy: shit happens, its on u

The gauntlet has been thrown down. Would an improved Steam NeoGAF group be worthwhile SteamGAF?

(I asked Murph he wanted to read this post before I posted it since I was quoting him, but he declined)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Oh yasssssssss Camel Master thanks for A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2
NY-Crying.gif

EDIT: It was redeemed already... Nooooooooooooo....
NY-Crying.gif

Thanks for woo and indeed hoo for gifting me Prey! I had maybe the biggest surprise face and smile when I opened that private message :O

(messed up and didn't get the "activation screenshot" but hey, at least I didn't post my Sexy Beach themed desktop hehe)

Such jubilant I am that I must cherish the moment myself and punish you with these games!!!

And yeah.. I posted the steam keys a minute ago in this thread for like 2 seconds, meant to post them to modbot. I hope they didn't got lurked x_x

Thanks a lot for Naval Warfare. Unfortunately, it seems someone has already activated it :(

I've been talking to Metalmurphy about the Steam NeoGAF group:

Murph is saying it's NeoGAF mods that don't want the Steam Group to have Announcements, Events Scheduled, Members promoted to moderators (for the Steam Group), and Player of the Week awarded to members. He has asked me to personally PM each and every NeoGAF mod to see if this has changed, as well as each and every member of the Steam NeoGAF Group to see if they want Announcements and Event Pop-Ups, as apparently the last time this happened Announcements and Event Pop-Ups caused a civil war.

However the few Steam Group Officers and Moderators I have spoken to say they have no control over the group, and cannot promote/demote members, ban memebers, and the only thing they CAN do is kick members from the Steam Chat. Again Murph has said that his was decided by NeoGAF moderators.

I'm posting this in the SteamGAF Community thread for transparency, and this is quicker than PMing everyone individually, since you can't mass PM. If a NeoGAF Mod can share this with other moderators please, I'd appreciate that.

I'm not personally asking for control of the group, or to be made a moderator of the group, simply that those who are currently moderators be allowed to set Announcements, Events and make active members of the chat moderators to help reflect what the Steam Community thread might be interested in.
For a long time the Steam Group has been a complete seperate entity to the SteamGAF thread, and at times there's even been a silent 'Us v Them' feeling between the two.
The idea is to bring the two parts closer together.

Creating a gaming night event for Borderlands 2 with fellow gaffers? YES PLEASE!

The gauntlet has been thrown down. Would an improved Steam NeoGAF group be worthwhile SteamGAF?

(I asked Murph he wanted to read this post before I posted it since I was quoting him, but he declined)

A - I don't get why you're making such a huge thing out of this. This could be done without the drama.
B - What do the forum mods even have to do with the Steam group?

Wok

Why not use this thread instead?

Would an improved Steam NeoGAF group be worthwhile SteamGAF?

To me, pop-ups, annoucements, etc. will look like spam to most of the group users. I use the NeoGAF group as a Steam badge, and as a filter for friend invites, since I know the NeoGAF group is private. I usually end up removing groups which spam my activity feed.

The only things I've heard about the group chat prior to today is that it's cliquey, kick happy and unwelcoming to newcomers. I've never been much for chats so I never bothered going there myself. That said,

Perhaps it's been bad timing that the few times I've checked in there's been Avatar fawning!
It's not really bad timing, that happens a good amount. By now I think the name Saoirse has been used more in the thread than Steam itself.

Damn, the Bridge it (plus)-key said it was a duplicate. Some lurker was fast apparently!

Thanks a lot for Naval Warfare. Unfortunately, it seems someone already activated it :( People are fast!

I pm'd you guys, as I have two humble spares to gift. Unfortunately I can't get everyone (if there's more keys lurked...and probably there are, damn) a replacement game...

I imagine that someone has a script running to grab any loose codes posted here. The code I won for Starpoint Gemini was already activated. Thank you anyway though!

Really sorry about this, I should have taken a cup of coffee before arranging the giveaway, was too tired and messed things up.. not good.. well enjoy lurker(s), they can have their share too ^^

cicero

I imagine that someone has a script running to grab any loose codes posted here. The code I won for Starpoint Gemini was already activated. Thank you anyway though!

Santini

Thanks for Serious Sam. Was in the mood for an old school type of FPS! =)

A - I don't get why you're making such a huge thing out of this. This could be done without the drama.

I'm making a 'huge thing out of this' as it's a shame that the NeoGAF Steam Group thread is rarely used and no one seems to know about :) Then when you look at it you realise it's rarely used as you can't actually do much with it.

So testing opinion and seeing where this goes, if this isn't wanted then fair enough it'll go away.

Why not use this thread instead?

Why not both? Please the Steam Group events page does a good job of posting the event on the correct time zone for everyone to understand when it's happening based on their geographical location!

To me, pop-ups, annoucements, etc. will look like spam to most of the group users. I use the NeoGAF group as a Steam badge, and as a filter for friend invites, since I know the NeoGAF group is private. I usually end up removing groups which spam my activity feed.

See this is what Murph was worried about! I wonder if Steam will add an option to turn pop-offs off, I know you can disable to sound of them.

Wok

I'm making a 'huge thing out of this' as it's a shame that the NeoGAF Steam Group thread is rarely used and no one seems to know about :) Then when you look at it you realise it's rarely used as you can't actually do much with it.

So testing opinion and seeing where this goes, if this isn't wanted then fair enough it'll go away.

Why not create another group for annoucements and such? This way, NeoGAF users would opt-in. I always prefer opt-in to opt-out subscriptions.

cicero

Really sorry about this, I should have taken a cup of coffee before arranging the giveaway, was too tired and messed things up.. not good.. well enjoy lurker(s), they can have their share too ^^

Hey, no problem whatsoever. I appreciate that you took the time to do a giveaway for the community here. Someone else nabbed it first, I hope they enjoy it.

Vazduh

First 100% game. Yesssss :D
TvyniKC.png

Thanks again DJ Crimson for this great game. Really enjoyed every minute of it (it took me almost an hour longer than it should, didn't want to rush it). Yes, it could've had better and more challenging puzzles and maybe better controls (boat sequence was really frustrating) but I didn't mind it. Graphics were really solid, the melancholy music was too. What I liked the most were the "side-quests" if I can call them that way, like
the one where you have to save the man from hanging himself from the tree
or
letting the birds from the cage
.. that was more fun than the platforming pieces and it really added something to the whole experience.
Great game and I hope everyone enjoyed this one like I did.

WaEPq11.jpg

NHDA2bA.jpg

y6pRmJo.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks a lot for Killing Floor, Jusoni! Since I got into PC gaming late I was the only one in a group of friends who didn't have it, they haven't been playing it lately but as soon as they got in the mood I'd have to immediately purchase to join the multiplayer fun (it being on sale or not, haha).

Honestly, I have no idea what's gotten into him...

I'd just like to say that these types of events did happen along time ago, and there was nothing but people upset over the popup notifications with sound. That's mainly why they stopped.

Any way, like I said to him, GAF mods can dictate however the group works.

That's cool and all. I'm sure most of the active users here are aware of the group (it's in the OP) and are either active in the chat there or don't care.

Still, you could pose this question, for example as a strawpoll, without the drama.

And the truth is, no one in this thread actually plays videogames.

Anyone, like I said to him, GAF mods can dictate however the group works.

Just curious, why is that? When was it decided that the group has official status and is not just run by the people in this thread? Just seems weird to me.

dream

I've been in the GAF group for years, and I'm thankful it's been a quiet, non-intrusive group. Frankly, announcements and events would most likely annoy the shit out of me.

I'd love weekly events, or something. Only the biggest games, or at least the games that work on GAF for whatever reason seem to have regular groups. But all of us in here have hundreds of games. We're uniquely equipped to support a community that can jump from game to game together.

Well that's the idea, the current mods of Steam NeoGAF group are actual NeoGAF mods, and 1-2 trusted regular chatters of the Steam Group. Only they would be able to set Events and Announcements, so it would 100 every day. Just 'Main Events' that seemed popular enough.

Could be reminder for NeoGAF Bingo if it ever happens again, or a big Community Game day (example before was Borderlands 2).

Just curious, why is that? When was it decided that the group has official status and is not just run by the people in this thread? Just seems weird to me.

I dunno. It was never officially decided. Other then some mod (don't remember who) saying that all GAF mods should have officer status back when I created the group years ago, there was no official statement on how it should be ran. But seeing as we're using GAFs name on it I'd imagine mods would have a problem with people using the group's announcements popups to promote ones Youtube channel and stuff like that.

Well that's the idea, the current mods of Steam NeoGAF group are actual NeoGAF mods, and 1-2 trusted regular chatters of the Steam Group. Only they would be able to set Events and Announcements, so it would 100 every day. Just 'Main Events' that seemed popular enough.

Could be reminder for NeoGAF Bingo if it ever happens again, or a big Community Game day (example before was Borderlands 2).

See, you're trying to go in and unilaterally change a group that most users seem to be fine with. It's the first time I've heard any complaints.

Why not make a new group, "Steam Group Gaming" whatever, make a thread about it and see how it goes.

I dunno. It was never officially decided. Other then some mod (don't remember who) saying that all GAF mods should have officer status back when I created the group years ago, there was no official statement on how it should be ran. But seeing as we're using GAFs name on it I'd imagine mods would have a problem with people using the group's announcements popups to promote ones Youtube channel and stuff like that.
Ah I see. Seems fine to me then.

See, you're trying to go in and unilaterally change a group that most users seem to be fine with. It's the first time I heard any complaints.

Why not make a new group, "Steam Group Gaming" whatever, make a thread about it and see how it goes.

I get the impression it's a group that most have forgotten they joined.

Announcements appear bottom right corner similar to friend log ins/playing games.

Events appear as Pop-Ups in the middle of the screen. Both have the option to have sounds turned off. Currently no option to disable pop-ups, which could be good feedback to give to Steam.

I get the impression it's a group that most have forgotten they joined.

Announcements appear bottom right corner similar to friend log ins/playing games.

Events appear as Pop-Ups in the middle of the screen. Both have the option to have sounds turned off. Currently no option to disable pop-ups, which could be good feedback to give to Steam.

You're forgetting you're asking everyone to disable sounds for the sake of a few. It's over 6000 people in the group.

Why is there so much drama, SteamGAF? I THOUGHT WE WERE A FAMILY!

To be honest, I wouldn't be bothered by announcements and events. The only group I'm on that does them frequently is the SteamGifts one, and I have never minded. In fact, thanks to them I got some indie bundles early!

I'd love to see some kind of "game club" where we play a game on or own during a week and discuss it. I'm not into online gaming at all (except for TF2 and recently CS:GO), so I don't think I would join too many online sessions, but it would be cool anyways.

If someone who won a game in my fumbled giveaway wants a replacement game, I have HOARD and Bit.Trip Runner 2. I have been some of who won in the giveaway but they are too humble to accept my gift / or have the games already. But if someone wants a replacement game and doesn't own either of those two, just pm me.

Will need to gather more keys in the mean time, expect a new giveaway in a few months ;)

Sound or no sound I left every group that regularily sent me event pop-ups. You're not that important.

I'd actually be interested in some kind of "game club" idea, but the main NeoGAF group is too big for that at this point. You won't be able to make everyone happy with any changes.

Again, make a new group, make a thread, see if there is any interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom