• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement wise I was thinking

*New Steam Community Thread Made - Link here
*New Steam Sale thread made - Link here

Nothing more than that (outside of the important site announcements stickied on the forum), just so members knew where to go.

Events would be like once a month gaming events or so. It wouldn't be making these by the way it'd either be Official NeoGAF mods who are already part of the group (if they wanted to), or the 2-3 trusted members that are currently on mod status. Perhaps I'm being naive but I don't think it'd get out of control.

cicero

I get the impression it's a group that most have forgotten they joined.

Announcements appear bottom right corner similar to friend log ins/playing games.

Events appear as Pop-Ups in the middle of the screen. Both have the option to have sounds turned off. Currently no option to disable pop-ups, which could be good feedback to give to Steam.

Events are the annoying ones because they are small pop-ups and give you the flashing alert. Turning sounds off is the only way I got any peace while still joining an active group. Honestly, making a new Steam Group for Community gameplay and event creation/voting sounds like a good idea for those interested in those activities specifically.

I really really dislike the event popups....
Me too. I REALLY dislike them. I was on the edge of leaving the official group for Red Orchestra just yesterday because of their constant events.

Sound or no sound I left every group that regularily sent me event pop-ups. You're not that important.

I'd actually be interested in some kind of "game club" idea, but the main NeoGAF group is too big for that at this point. You won't be able to make everyone happy with any changes.

Again, make a new group, make a thread, see if there is any interest.
Yeah, I've left groups outright just for regular pop-up announcements, I'm almost ready to give the Idle Thumbs group the kibosh for all the "Grand Thumb Auto" nights I've had to click past. Better to have a group from the ground up for people interested in that than suddenly pestering the large group as it is now.

Nothing more than that (outside of the important site announcements stickied on the forum), just so members knew where to go.

Events would be like once a month gaming events or so. It wouldn't be making these by the way it'd either be Official NeoGAF mods who are already part of the group (if they wanted to), or the 2-3 trusted members that are currently on mod status. Perhaps I'm being naive but I don't think it'd get out of control.

Those sound like it would be even more frequent then what we had back when it was just <2000 members. It won't go well.

This seems like the best solution, and I'm wondering why Mr. Luchador ignored it.

Not ignored, I've put down on the feedback sheet!

---

Also, Announcements and Events don't make sounds! Just tested. Events are the only things that leave a separate window and Pop-Up. Will leave feedback for Valve to create option to turn this off, as it does seem silly you can't stop it.

Those sound like it would be even more frequent then what we had back when it was just <2000 members. It won't go well.

Perhaps.

Events are the annoying ones because they are small pop-ups and give you the flashing alert. Turning sounds off is the only way I got any peace while still joining an active group. Honestly, making a new Steam Group for Community gameplay and event creation/voting sounds like a good idea for those interested in those activities specifically.

General feeling seems to be that Events are a pain in the arse, but an improved more active SteamGAF Group would be welcome?

Tenrius

Announcements I could live with. Events are a big no-no. One group I'm a member of posts them like every week and it's really, really annoying (I'm in that group just for some bundle news in the activity feed). Otherwise, I don't really see the importance of this. I'm perfectly fine with these threads.

sprinkles

I'd love to see some kind of "game club" where we play a game on or own during a week and discuss it. I'm not into online gaming at all (except for TF2 and recently CS:GO), so I don't think I would join too many online sessions, but it would be cool anyways.
I wouldn't mind seeing something interesting happen with the Steam group. I'm sure 6000+ people didn't sign up just for a chat room.
Yes, I too would love to see some more activity within the GAF Steam Group. I own a great many online capable games, but most of my gaming friends prefer to play games I can't get into nowadays because of the time commitments (MMOs mostly), so I only play single player. Would love to see some scheduled events in the Steam Group where I can participate if I have the time.

StAidan

Sooo, after drinking a bottle of wine, red, I found some humblebundle gamekeys! Wohoo! Doing a short raffle so all the slowpokes can get in on the action too.
For some reason it's showing the picture of Sanctum 2, do not be fooled it's the first.

Thanks for Hoard.

Oh, I guess I've never been in a group with events. I've never seen a popup in the middle of the screen, I would certainly leave any group that uses that :/

IDK man, I'm mostly with you but I don't see any value making those announcements. Every regular will notice on their own, as they always have, since Steam threads are 90% of the time on the first page and they're always linked at the end of the closed one for those with subscriptions.

EDIT: I think the only reason I joined the GAF group is because I feel I'm a part of this community and I want people to know that, specially so other gaffers that might recognize my avatar or handle name may know that's the same guy that
barely
posts here. I've never expected anything more, but I'd welcome a more active community. I agree it should be a different group, so we don't bother anyone that isn't into that stuff.

fantomena

Even though Im a neutral gamer and have PC, PS4 and soon Xbone (when it releases in my country), I still think this picture is funny.

deNfVX6.jpg

Oh, I guess I've never been in a group with events. I've never seen a popup in the middle of the screen, I would certainly leave any group that uses that :/

IDK man, I'm mostly with you but I don't see any value making those announcements. Every regular will notice on their own, as they always have, since Steam threads are 90% of the time on the first page and they're always linked at the end of the closed one for those with subscriptions.

Fair point, but at the same time I was thinking of those members of the group who rarely visit the threads as they might not be aware of where they are, or just forgot about them. That's what I'd like to see the Steam Group to compliment the Community threads and vice-versa.

Interestingly there are plenty of people on the Steam Forums who would like the option to disable Event Pop-Ups too!

Hawkie

There is a Steam "NeoGAF Chat Multiplayer Group" that was created quite a while back but it has about a dozen members and is totally dead.

DTKT

I remember a time when games were 2 Gigs. I just went to download Bioshock Infinite and it was 30 Gigs. With my connection, that's 30 hours of continuous download at max speed.

There is a Steam "NeoGAF Chat Multiplayer Group" that was created quite a while back but it has about a dozen members and is totally dead.

That's what I'm kinda thinking will happen to any 'new' group, most of the GAF spinoff groups die after a while.

TF2
DOTA
Minecraft
DayZ

I've been a member of all those groups (still a member) and the activity dies down as the interest in the specific game does, naturally. A more centralised group should maintain interest in gaming in general (hopefully).

Jusoni

Hah wtf? I was playing minesweeper and had my xbox controller plugged in. Everytime I failed the pad started rumbling like crazy. That's really nice, for added realism you can sit on your pad and really feel those mines blowing in the wind...

Just waiting for MGR to download and playin minesweeper...

Lain

I haven't either, and yeah, there are reasons for that.

Steam chat isn't much different than the Steam threads these days though, both are notable for containing somewhat insular communities who primarily shoot the shit with each other daily. I find out Steam related deals, price mistakes etc. (way) earlier in the chats I frequent than in this thread anymore. Many never get posted here at all.

Aliens: Isolation pre-order for $10 at Amazon being one of the most recent.

When did that happens and why no one posted about it?!

Has anyone had it where everything in Skyrim starts spazing out? Carriages flipping over, NPCs teleporting, your own character floating and spinning? The game was working just fine for many hours and now it is just going crazy.

Yeah, this could be the root of the problem.
Did you install the SCP drivers before upgrading to .1, or after?
If nothing else, I'd try removing all the drivers you might have used and reinstalling only those.

I'm not sure. I can't remember what was installed when I updated to 8.1, if an update was done at all (I may have copped the 8.1 iso from MSDN directly).

Such jubilant I am that I must cherish the moment myself and punish you with these games!!!

And yeah.. I posted the steam keys a minute ago in this thread for like 2 seconds, meant to post them to modbot. I hope they didn't got lurked x_x

Aztaka was already used when I tried to redeem it.
Oh well, no biggie. Thanks anyway. :)

Jusoni

It appears Amazon has price matched Steam for The Secret World. $5.19 if you have promo credit. Is it worth this price?

Bought it today and I'm really digging it. It's really different from other MMORPGs. There's no definitive levels, just skill points and ability points you can assing anyway you want. One character can learn everything, no need to reroll diffrent classes. Some quests actually require you to think, not much but still a little. Example:
Find a phone on the ground, text message says something about a hidden keypad in front of church -> vague clue about the code being the first song in sung in church -> go into church and look for the hymn board for a hymn number -> go find the keypad.
The first big enviroment is Kingsmouth, the home of Cthulhu. It's like SWTOR with a horror setting. So if you're into horror and MMORPGs, I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth out of it.

Coreda

I remember a time when games were 2 Gigs. I just went to download Bioshock Infinite and it was 30 Gigs. With my connection, that's 30 hours of continuous download at max speed.

Whenever I think about file sizes I'm reminded of games such as Conker's Bad Fur Day, that even with full voice acting managed to be optimized for a 64MB catridge. Dat old school optimization <3

There are GIFs on GAF almost as large lol.

Terra_Ex

Has anyone had it where everything in Skyrim starts spazing out? Carriages flipping over, NPCs teleporting, your own character floating and spinning? The game was working just fine for many hours and now it is just going crazy.
Are you using CrossFire? The game ran perfectly for me at launch but several patches later beth broke/buggered something up and ever since vsync hasn't worked properly ever since for crossfire setups, and anything over 60fps seems to cause the physics engine to cause the mayhem you're describing. I ended up having to use MSI afterburner to limit the framerate to get it to run correctly.

Pakkidis

Shadowgrounds - a very average 3rd person shooter. The voice acting, dialogue, plot are atrocious and the gameplay get very repetitive. Shoot aliens collect upgrade parts, upgrade weapons...rinse and repeat.

I have no mouth and I must scream- I love point and click adventure games, and as much as I love the setting and idea, the fact that you could make it impossible to complete a chapter because you missed something in the beginning is one of the worst design decisions in videogame history.

Guacameele gold edition- I'm loving so far.

Lain

Announcements I could live with. Events are a big no-no. One group I'm a member of posts them like every week and it's really, really annoying (I'm in that group just for some bundle news in the activity feed). Otherwise, I don't really see the importance of this. I'm perfectly fine with these threads.

Same here.
Announcements don't bother me at all, but events are a disease since they manage to take me out of fullscreen games.

user237

I've seen things like that when certain console commands are issued, but that generally requires intent. If you didn't do anything in the console, I'd check for a buggy mod.

Volimar

Thanks for Magicka Jusoni!

Bought it today and I'm really digging it. It's really different from other MMORPGs. There's no definitive levels, just skill points and ability points you can assing anyway you want. One character can learn everything, no need to reroll diffrent classes. Some quests actually require you to think, not much but still a little. Example:
Find a phone on the ground, text message says something about a hidden keypad in front of church -> vague clue about the code being the first song in sung in church -> go into church and look for the hymn board for a hymn number -> go find the keypad.
The first big enviroment is Kingsmouth, the home of Cthulhu. It's like SWTOR with a horror setting. So if you're into horror and MMORPGs, I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth out of it.

I'm trying to keep clear of MMOs, but that's a good endorsement.

EdmondD

It appears Amazon has price matched Steam for The Secret World. $5.19 if you have promo credit. Is it worth this price? Disclaimer edit: Does not redeem on Steam, ho hum.

I have not played it but many seem to agree that it is a very good game. I have been interested in the game for quite some time. I would definitely buy it at that price.

Wok

We would get the backlash here: people would click on the link to make some complaints. :'(

Why not make a new group, "Steam Group Gaming" whatever, make a thread about it and see how it goes.

There goes my vote.

There should be an option to disable DLCs somewhere, so that we could play the core game even though we have a bad download speed. For instance, I had downloaded Bioshock Infinite (about 10 GB if I remember correctly), and after activating the season pass (thanks to a kind GAFfer), I have 10 additional GB to download.

Tenrius

I played some Avadon and found that it's not really up to the high standard set by Avernum / Geneforge. It just doesn't work as well with its more linear structure, besides, a lot of sidequests I've seen so far have been largely unremarkable. It's still a pretty good game, of course. There's their usual good writing, a solid setting, an interesting premise, functional but enjoyable combat. Just make sure it's not your first Spiderweb game.

EDIT: Is it just me or is the thread being pretty slow right now? I know it's supposed to be the fastest Steam thread ever, but it sure doesn't feel that way at the moment. What happened?

Dr Dogg

Well after 21 hours I'm up to 75% completion on SR IV and was going to call it a night but then... Saints of Rage! Yeah just one more level and then I'll put it down.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
EDIT: Is it just me or is the thread being pretty slow right now? I know it's supposed to be the fastest Steam thread ever, but it sure doesn't feel that way at the moment. What happened?
They are checking my wishlist and getting me bday presents of course.

Not really

Well after 21 hours I'm up to 75% completion on SR IV and was going to call it a night but then... Saints of Rage! Yeah just one more level and then I'll put it down.
You wont put it down that easily.

I have not played it but many seem to agree that it is a very good game. I have been interested in the game for quite some time. I would definitely buy it at that price.

The only complaints I've seen were about the endgame being a little anemic. Then again, that was when the game had subscription fees, which they've removed. A thorough endgame is pretty much a requirement for an MMO with a sub.

Tanking my way through Saints Row IV, put in about 10 or so hours so far. Hopefully I can finish of the main storyline and some side stuff before the time runs out.

Was really apprehensive about it at release to skipped over it even though I loved The Third. Really enjoying it though.Some really awesome moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom