• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, good point. Six month increments is a good way to purchase and game. Otherwise I'd just be buying and not playing.

Seems like that's 90% of this thread, though. Tsk tsk.

You can count on the likes of Amazon taking advantage of Spring being the one season Valve ignores. No better time to have a big sale than when you're not competing with Steam itself!

Congrats to the winners of my giveaway!

Thanks Raxus!

I must've not been thinking right... I had Bio Infinite in my mind when I entered. Still Bioshock is an excellent game, sending this out again for another soul to get the chance to experience it. Apologies!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock -- MB-510D362CC7F39C60 - Taken by NotSelf. 5 entrants total.

t1388848168z1.png

Am I the only one who thinks buying Battlefield 2142 from the amazon editor's choice? It's not steam but I like the price and bought Battlefield 2 twice the price during steam sale. Is it even a good game?

Hit 20 hours on Rogue Legacy, it's just pure fun and an excellent game. Somehow it reminds me of time when I played games in the late 90s, don't know why exactly but it's awesome.

Congrats to the winners of my giveaway!

A huge thanks for Dark Souls! Demon's Souls is one of the best games I've played in last gen, still playing it in NG+. I get usually around games a lot later than the launch so I was aiming to buy Dark Souls around when Dark Souls II launches. And I was actually planning to get it on console due GFWL but having seen the glorious PC gifs and screenshots from the game, I felt I could have been missed a lot.

So thank you a lot for giving me the chance of experiencing Dark Souls@60fps, it's a shame this game has GFWL but thank god for Durante.

Tenrius

Haha, I missed the boat on the games way back when so I couldn't be more excited. I didn't think my e-mail would actually set something in motion -- I just wanted to be able to say, "Well, at least I tried." With Anno 1404 almost out of the way, I think I'd faint if I caught the King Kong and Tintin apps being updated. :p The former seems more likely to me than the latter as Ubi could just dump the DRM-free build on Steam and call it a day whereas Tintin, being a Uplay game, would need its own individualised instance of the client a la the more recent AssCreed games and presumably that requires a fair bit of work. Needles to say, though, I'd buy both in a heartbeat.

I'd really like to get King Kong myself. Played a demo that came packed with a graphic card years ago (it actually had King Kong on the box: http://images.hardwarezone.com/upload/files/2010/06/2628ff8201.jpg) and it was pretty good, never followed up on that. Come on, Ubisoft!

He said his Steam Community name was the same so I just copied and pasted his GAF name into the search box. ;)

:eek:
So simple!
So elegant!
So does not work for me much of the time :/.

A huge thanks for Dark Souls! Demon's Souls is one of the best games I've played in last gen, still playing it in NG+. I get usually around games a lot later than the launch so I was aiming to buy Dark Souls around when Dark Souls II launches. And I was actually planning to get it on console due GFWL but having seen the glorious PC gifs and screenshots from the game, I felt I could have been missed a lot.

So thank you a lot for giving me the chance of experiencing Dark Souls@60fps, it's a shame this game has GFWL but thank god for Durante.

I love it when a gifted game goes to someone who really appreciates it :D.

So.. after seeing those posts, I was bored enough to add up games purchased in 2013.

I'vemadeahugemistake.gif

I finished 50 games in 2013
I purchased/added to Steam 161 full games, not counting DLCs.

Yep, not winning that war.

At least you finish your games.

NotSelf

Thanks Raxus! this is my first bioshock game going to wait for the new steam controller until i try it i'm a gamepad guy.

And thanks for reposting Ogedai_Khan

denx

Just a heads up, I've been sending friend invites to a bunch of people here, so if you got a friend invite in the last half hour or so, it's probably me. :)

Also, I'm never finishing any game now that I'm playing Cook Serve Delicious and Long Live the Queen.

JakeD

Jørdan;95824072 said:
sTGxzjw.png

Buggiest of 2013 maybe.

fitting considering the sale itself seems quite buggy right now. i'm sure there will be a couple things worth grabbing but i have a feeling most of my 16 coupons will go unused.

Just a heads up, I've been sending friend invites to a bunch of people here, so if you got a friend invite in the last half hour or so, it's probably me. :)

Also, I'm never finishing any game now that I'm playing Cook Serve Delicious and Long Live the Queen.

I don't seem to have one from you :|. ohmygodthatsracist.gif

I know that feel :/. I've been having that a lot on my current XCOM playthrough which, ironically enough, I only started because all the new games I was starting were getting on my nerves. It has not been helped by life doing its best to tell me that I should be tackling my backlog instead of re-playing a game I have already finished once. Two power cuts in one night, several borked saves leading to hours of gameplay lost, and so on :/.

Tenrius

How do these Editor's Choice coupons work, by the way? I understand they do not stack. So I have three of them, does it mean I can buy three different games and get a $5 off each?

wazoo

I'd really like to get King Kong myself. Played a demo that came packed with a graphic card years ago (it actually had King Kong on the box: http://images.hardwarezone.com/upload/files/2010/06/2628ff8201.jpg) and it was pretty good, never followed up on that. Come on, Ubisoft!

just looking at the reviews on gamersgate, the KingKong Exe seems to be very buggy on Seven, pretty much not surprising if it built on the same engine as BGE, a reason not to put it back on Steam (like the snowboard game which only works on 4core and below).

wilflare

don't think I got a reply on this (sorry if I missed it!)

is it recommended to install Steam/Origin on another drive altogether (eg. D:)? or is it better to leave Steam/Origin on C: and the games on D:?

should I reformat C: next time, how would the new installation recognize Steam/Origin and their games on D:?

maty

You guys were not wrong when recommending the Swapper.

I've been playing it for the last 2 days, so good. I'm loving the atmosphere and puzzles.

Tenrius

just looking at the reviews on gamersgate, the KingKong Exe seems to be very buggy on Seven, pretty much not surprising if it built on the same engine as BGE, a reason not to put it back on Steam (like the snowboard game which only works on 4core and below).

Wait, Beyond Good & Evil does not work on Windows 7? I vaguely remember running it on my laptop a while back, although I'm pretty happy with the PS3 version and that's what I used for a recent replay.

JaseC

is it recommended to install Steam/Origin on another drive altogether (eg. D:)? or is it better to leave Steam/Origin on C: and the games on D:?

should I reformat C: next time, how would the new installation recognize Steam/Origin and their games on D:?

Having Steam and Origin on their own drive is the best approach simply because the installations follow you between OS reinstalls without needing to micromanage.

Edit: If you have an SSD you can just use symbolic links to run games from the drive without needing to move Steam itself. Alternatively, if you want to install a game to the SSD, you can just use Steam's own library manager. I plan to use my 60GB SSD for games when I get around to buying a 128GB replacement for Windows and programs.

I left Steam on my C: because it's an SSD and loads quicker and I install all my games on D: becausr it's a much bigger HD.

MNC

This is pretty cool of Steam Sharing:

Person A lends his library to person B.

B and A both want to play a game that is owned by A.

B boots a game. A starts offline mode. A boots game.

And you can just play games to your hearts content. I'm not sure if this is a flaw (the system works as intended, I suppose)

It allowed my girlfriend and me both play Don't Starve simultaneously. I think some games even allow multiplayer, depending on the server infrastructure. I'm not even sure if this is frowned upon...

And you can just play games to your hearts content. I'm not sure if this is a flaw (the system works as intended, I suppose)

It allowed my girlfriend and me both play Don't Starve simultaneously. I think some games even allow multiplayer, depending on the server infrastructure. I'm not even sure if this is frowned upon...

This seriously works? Have you tried other games?

denx

I don't seem to have one from you :|. ohmygodthatsracist.gif

I know that feel :/. I've been having that a lot on my current XCOM playthrough which, ironically enough, I only started because all the new games I was starting were getting on my nerves. It has not been helped by life doing its best to tell me that I should be tackling my backlog instead of re-playing a game I have already finished once. Two power cuts in one night, several borked saves leading to hours of gameplay lost, and so on :/.

vTAGTQl.png

lol. But yeah, that was easy to miss among the friending frenzy from the sale thread.

Also yeah, I get that feeling of looking at your library and saying "nope, later". I've decided that I'm going to change that though. I was playing Rayman Origins, got to the end of the second world and didn't feel like continuing. And then I didn't play anything else on my library for weeks. Although I liked the game, the collectathon aspect of it was annoying me and sorta sucking the fun I was having with the game. I was planning on keep playing the game through the month but now I 've decided I'll just drop it. Now I'm looking forward to playing Fall of Cybertron, those 15 dollars I dropped on the game must have a good use!

JaseC

I'm actually thinking about getting Duke Nukem Forever from GMG. GAF, stop me.

I actually didn't mind my time DNF -- it's not entirely awful. As I like to say, the strange hodgepodge of standard-fare Duke FPS gameplay, a haphazardly-upgraded UE2.5 engine and some modern game design trimmings (e.g. the occasional QTE) resulted in an experience that was, for the most part, endearing in its own quirky way.

liezryou

Wow that is awesome. I'm willing to bet you can abuse this on most multiplayer games.

Anyone can help me with the resolution for Valdis Story?

I use 1 1680*1050 monitor, but my TV supports 1080p. Usually I play the Games in 1600*900 then.
The problem now is, that Valdis Story wont let me change the resolution and uses the 1680*1050 one on my TV too, so on my TV it looks like a 4:3 game with borders at the edges.

Anyone knows how to change that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom