• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriitV

Will this version of Defense Technica also enable the Windows version on Steam?
Yes
platform_steamplay_only.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Anyone can help me with the resolution for Valdis Story?

I use 1 1680*1050 monitor, but my TV supports 1080p. Usually I play the Games in 1600*900 then.
The problem now is, that Valdis Story wont let me change the resolution and uses the 1680*1050 one on my TV too, so on my TV it looks like a 4:3 game with borders at the edges.

Anyone knows how to change that?

The way I see it, you have two options:

1) Get a better monitor.
2) Stop mirroring and extend that desktop, which is what you should be doing in the first place.

The way I see it, you have two options:

1) Get a better monitor.
2) Stop mirroring and extend that desktop, which is what you should be doing in the first place.

The problem with extending the monitor is, that I always have to "move" the window to the right or is there a better solution?

kulapik

Remindin' remindin'

So, I have 5 euros burning on my Steam Wallet, so I wondered I would do a giveaway. But because I don't know what to giveaway, I'll let you decide!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19C...xrLoldqfl-i4U/viewform#start=publishanalytics

Introduce there your GAF username and the game you would want. If I can get it cheaper than 5€, I'll make a giveaway for it. It doesn't have to be on the Steam Store, I can trade keys for it so from russian traders or thanks to other websites might be cheaper.

I'll let this form 24 hours so y'all can answer it, and I'll try to do reminders.

Just noticed Revengeance was not installed on the hdd, but on my sdd. can i just move it to where i installed all of my games then check the cache on steam, or i'll have to wait for the game to launch to do it?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is pretty cool of Steam Sharing:

Person A lends his library to person B.

B and A both want to play a game that is owned by A.

B boots a game. A starts offline mode. A boots game.

And you can just play games to your hearts content. I'm not sure if this is a flaw (the system works as intended, I suppose)

It allowed my girlfriend and me both play Don't Starve simultaneously. I think some games even allow multiplayer, depending on the server infrastructure. I'm not even sure if this is frowned upon...

Everybody does it. The system is working as intended - Family Sharing allows you to share some games on your account with people you log with your account on their computer. Offline mode allows you to play games while offline. Only way to enforce the limit of people playing the game at once is checking online to see if the other player is online. Since he's in offline mode, there's nothing wrong with it. But people abuse it, by sharing with people other than family. And like, with 5 people.

The way I see it, this will either end up with us losing the ability to family share (by publishers flagging their game to not be a part of it) OR losing offline mode completely.

The first scenario is more likely.

And just so you could save 2 dollars on Don't Starve.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just noticed Revengeance was not installed on the hdd, but on my sdd. can i just move it to where i installed all of my games then check the cache on steam, or i'll have to wait for the game to launch to do it?

You have to wait. Pre-load data is encrypted and sits in the depotcache folder until release.

Edit: Though if you need the space you can just move the depotcache folder to your HDD and drop a symbolic link to it in the root of the Steam folder.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You have to wait. Pre-load data is encrypted and sits in the depotcache folder until release.

Edit: Though if you need the space you can just move the depotcache folder to your HDD and drop a symbolic link to it in the root of the Steam folder.

The main question is: Why is his Steam installed on his SSD?

New Win 7 installation on my PC, feeling so fresh and so clean
cVNFCJV.png

Reinstalled Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and it came with the first malware on my fresh install
cIw8fWt.png

kulapik

Rising Storm giveaway? :D

Btw, Monk, you can put another answer, since you goofed and only put your username (although might be another person in your place, dunno)

The_Monk

Remindin' remindin'

I was going to answer this and then on the space for the question: "What game would you want? " I answered: "The_Monk"

LOl, this is a sign to get more Coffee...! But either way my suggestion was going to be Fallout 3 GOTY which is 2.50€ and you can get it cheaper by adding the code "10thanks" but since I haven't tried myself I'm not sure.

---

Also thanks to GAFfer Divius for helping me in a new area in Dark Souls, such a Brave Soul too! But man if this game does not give me an heart attack it sure is close.

EDIT:

Rising Storm giveaway? :D

Btw, Monk, you can put another answer, since you goofed and only put your username (although might be another person in your place, dunno)

Well, here it is, haha. Sorry about that fellow GAFfer! :p

Wok

I think #4 might be allansm.

This is him. Thanks!

The second one might be alr1ght, I think.

Spot on! I know have all the pseudonyms.

I'm the first....

Sorry, I recognized your avatar but could not put a pseudonym on it.

Just a heads up, I've been sending friend invites to a bunch of people here, so if you got a friend invite in the last half hour or so, it's probably me. :)

I figured out. :)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I see. Thanks!

Makes steam be way faster and responsive, and then i created a Library folder on my HDD.

Every game that doesn't allow to be installed on another folder, or uses the "common" folder, or leaves trash on the Steam shared folder... that's all going to your SSD.

Every piece of software that doesn't keep tabs on their files and keeps everything organized (and I'll give you a hint: Every piece of software sucks terribly at it) is leaving traces on your SSD. Hell, my Steam installation is on my l:\ folder, along with all the games, and i STILL get massive amounts of files under "my documents", "my games", "my documents/games", so on and so forth.

Why would I want to leave ANOTHER place to gather all kinds of random and leftover files, like the main Steam installation, on my small SSD?

Cth

I'm probably going to buy it tomorrow after I sleep on it, will be more than glad to report my thoughts on it should I do so.

Just be warned that I eat, shit and breathe "pretentious art nongame" things like Dear Esther, Gone Home, To The Moon and Kentucky Route Zero so if you hated any of those my opinion will not be geared towards you in the slightest.

I was debating it as well until I saw there's an iOS version for half the currently on sale price.

I love the idea of these sort of games in general but not the "PC Premium" that comes with a lot of iOS ports. It'd be one thing if they add something but there's some ports that are lazy that add nothing but double the price or more.

JaseC

PSA: Konami has apparently region-locked Rising keys so if you're in one of the following Asian territories you'll need to use a VPN to activate your key:

what error did it say? i bought from them awhile ago and it activated fine here. could it be possible the new batch of keys are region locked?

I'm guessing Konami isn't using the retail-specific sub (which has no restrictions) and he's in one of these countries:

about 18 hours ago Added PurchaseRestrictedCountries – AF BD BT BN KH CN HK IN ID JP KR LA MO MY MV MN NP PK PH SG LK TW TH VN IE
about 18 hours ago Added AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries – 0

Just use a VPN. Spotflux will do.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PSA: Konami has apparently region-locked Rising keys so if you're in one of the following Asian territories you'll need to use a VPN to activate your key:

what shit timing you have J >_>

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
tumblr_mvnjkoznQV1r8erlno1_500.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance -- MB-839B39D2FA2EBA25

t1388865266z1.png

Raiden2.gif

my paypal refund went through finally ^_^ sorry about the lightning gifs earlier mr.mods, was just teasing a bit, dont ban me >_<

The main question is: Why is his Steam installed on his SSD?

Every game that doesn't allow to be installed on another folder, or uses the "common" folder, or leaves trash on the Steam shared folder... that's all going to your SSD.

Every piece of software that doesn't keep tabs on their files and keeps everything organized (and I'll give you a hint: Every piece of software sucks terribly at it) is leaving traces on your SSD. Hell, my Steam installation is on my l:\ folder, along with all the games, and i STILL get massive amounts of files under "my documents", "my games", "my documents/games", so on and so forth.

Why would I want to leave ANOTHER place to gather all kinds of random and leftover files, like the main Steam installation, on my small SSD?
Dunno if games like that really exist, but i never had the problem with a game that wouldn't install on my HDD. Second, the common folder on the ssd is actually empty, just checked. probably, because i created another library folder on the HDD.
What's this Shared folder you're speaking of?

EDIT: and i did that because at the time i was reformatting my pc, i asked if i should do it here on the steam thread, and nobody talked about any problems or disadvantages...

Two more questions:

1.) Is there a way to preload MGR on a different HDD? I have Steam installed on my system-SSD, but all the Games on my Game-HDD.

2.) Is there a list of which games will be featured in the Amazon Editors Choice list? Till now it looks quite "bleak".

Turfster

Two more questions:

1.) Is there a way to preload MGR on a different HDD? I have Steam installed on my system-SSD, but all the Games on my Game-HDD.
Maybe if you junction the depotcache dir first.
(Warning, copy the contents of the existing one over before junctioning)

Turfster

my paypal refund went through finally ^_^ sorry about the lightning gifs earlier mr.mods, was just teasing a bit, dont ban me >_<

I thought they were just mood gifs based on what was happening in the US at the moment. I liked them! I like them even more now that you've uncovered the meaning behind them ;)

JaseC

Maybe if you junction the depotcache dir first.

You can use Link Shell Extension to achieve this: once you've moved the folder to a different drive, right-click on it, select "Pick link source", then navigate to your Steam folder, right-click somewhere within the empty space, hover over "Drop as..." and select "Symbolic link".

vTAGTQl.png

lol. But yeah, that was easy to miss among the friending frenzy from the sale thread.

Also yeah, I get that feeling of looking at your library and saying "nope, later". I've decided that I'm going to change that though. I was playing Rayman Origins, got to the end of the second world and didn't feel like continuing. And then I didn't play anything else on my library for weeks. Although I liked the game, the collectathon aspect of it was annoying me and sorta sucking the fun I was having with the game. I was planning on keep playing the game through the month but now I 've decided I'll just drop it. Now I'm looking forward to playing Fall of Cybertron, those 15 dollars I dropped on the game must have a good use!

Well if you will have a Steam username that is sooooooo different from your GAF one, how am I supposed to know it's you?! >:|

*cough* Apologies denx :) I have added a nickname of "denx GAF" now so I won't have that excuse again :). Nice to have you on board! I apologise for any offence you may take to my politically incorrect and sexual innuendo laden screenie captions.

Finally! :) Although I would be a very sad panda if you were banned so be a very good boy from now on until you get to full member status, hm? Please?

Rhaknar

The lightning was hints at this giveaways? Honestly I was a bit lost with all the GIFs lol.

Also, you're on hour way to reaching 1K post in less than a month.

I talk alot >_>

also yes, I thought it was quite obvious :(

metal-gear-solid-rising-lightning-bolt-action.jpg

Lightning
Bolt Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom