• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the main story line of The Walking Dead (Season 1)

wave_of_feels-18739.gif

Dem feels.

StAidan

I just finished Bit Trip Runner [...]

I would like that more people will try to play it, because I see is one of the games that everyone have and played only that famous Sale. The game is fairly difficult, but more that rhythm, what matters is to memorize the movements, and have good art. I played with keyboard without a problem.

Yeah, I only played it during the Holiday 2011 sale and stopped on the level right before the first boss. Went back to it a few weeks ago and was too rusty to pass it, so it's on my back burner again for now.

I like the game a lot, I just have so many others to play!

Ever get a genre that you feel like you should like, so you keep giving it a try every so often, but you can never really get into it? I feel like loot RPGs are that for me. Was just giving Titan Quest a bit of a go, after starting Torchlight and failing to get into it a year or two ago. I feel like they should be good fits for me, I like stats, skill trees, and not having to muck about with huge amounts of story. They just always feel like work when I start to play them. In the first two hours of Titan Quest I really liked the style and setting, but then I spend basically all the time fighting super similar mobs of one or two creatures types. I get that the game will throw different monster types at me, and that the expanding skill tree will open up more tactical options but it's just such a slog that I can't go on.

mannerbot

Ever get a genre that you feel like you should like, so you keep giving it a try every so often, but you can never really get into it? I feel like loot RPGs are that for me. Was just giving Titan Quest a bit of a go, after starting Torchlight and failing to get into it a year or two ago. I feel like they should be good fits for me, I like stats, skill trees, and not having to muck about with huge amounts of story. They just always feel like work when I start to play them. In the first two hours of Titan Quest I really liked the style and setting, but then I spend basically all the time fighting super similar mobs of one or two creatures types. I get that the game will throw different monster types at me, and that the expanding skill tree will open up more tactical options but it's just such a slog that I can't go on.

Well, they're basically video game slot machines so you can just skip the video games and play slots and probably get more enjoyment out of it.

Have you ever played Diablo II? I think a lot of games in the genre fail to handle pacing as well as it, including its sequel. As a fan of the genre, the Torchlight games are some of the most boring I've played, and while I enjoyed Titan Quest it does end up doing that thing that Diablo clones do and just bogs you down with a lot of busywork questing that feel pointless.

If you can handle the dated look, yeah, I'd give Diablo II a shot -- it would be the definitive test to see if you care for the genre.

I'm up to what feels like the 108th fight against those red backed brutes and friends. Made it up to the castle on the mountain. I just don't know if I care to deal with it much more.
The berserkers? Yeah, they're no damn fun to fight
and when they start throwing two at once, among other enemy types, it's a real slog.
The game basically starts running out of reasonable ways to mix and match enemies for encounters and I think it suffers for it. Still, I enjoyed most of the game even if the later encounters (and bosses) are low points.

Well, they're basically video game slot machines so you can just skip the video games and play slots and probably get more enjoyment out of it.

Yeah, I guess that I get that. It's just that I like the basics of their mechanics quite a bit, just not the larger framework of the games that they are in. I just want a cool overhead action RPG with fun equipment and deep / varied skill trees. But I want it in like a 10 hour game that keeps the new environment and enemy types coming with a hand made world. Not in a 35 hour slog that makes me repeat what I've already learned 20,000 times and where everything in procedurally generated.

If you can handle the dated look, yeah, I'd give Diablo II a shot -- it would be the definitive test to see if you care for the genre.

I think I actually have that on disk still, never played it. I might give it a shot finally.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, just scooped up Braid for 2 bucks! Haven't played it since it originally came out on xbla.

gnomed

Nice, just scooped up Braid for 2 bucks! Haven't played it since it originally came out on xbla.

Great deal, if you waited you would have had a chance to win it. I'm preparing a few giveaway folks, not Dupy good, but one with leftover humble bundle keys and extra ones I had all over the place. Note, don't lurk all night people, I'm still sorting things and taking off in a bit.

Relax.MX

Every box on CS:GO is like 0.30? wao....today was my first drop and in the market are in that price.

Is like TF2 right? we need a key and all of that mechanic.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Great deal, if you waited you would have had a chance to win it. I'm preparing a few giveaway folks, not Dupy good, but one with leftover humble bundle keys and extra ones I had all over the place. Note, don't lurk all night people, I'm still sorting things and taking off in a bit.

NIIIIIIIIICE!

EdmondD

Every box on CS:GO is like 0.30? wao....today was my first drop and in the market are in that price.

Is like TF2 right? we need a key and all of that mechanic.

The prices dropped dramatically. I sold that same case for like $1.65 two weeks ago. Now it's 30 cents. The other winter offensive case is still worth like $1.20. Yeah, you need a key to open them.

gnomed

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (gnomed, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Metro 2033, Risen, and Sacred Citadel -- MB-9B647130E68A2D8E - Taken by Ryne. 5 entrants total.

t1390110647z1.png
Here's a teaser.

Lol. Not only is the first episode pretty good, but its also the only episode.

pretty damn early to put on your original was better fanboy glasses.

Edit: I now see the error about tv show, nothing to see here.

For the record I thought the first episode of season 2 was particularly poor. There is a long way to go of course and a dip in quality was inevitable (because of a new cast). But to me the series is yet to prove it can make me care about anybody outside of Lee and Clem.

Finished both MGS:Revengeance and NWN2:Mask of the Betrayer today.

Today was a good day.

Not a bad day.

Parsnip

Parrying will help you big time, but there are certain moves you can't parry.

My problem is the part where
he jumps out reach and throws a tank or something down. For some reason I suddenly can't seem to get the zandatsu's lined properly in time.

Maybe I was just too tired and tomorrow I'll beat it on the first try.

Tecl0n

he jumps out reach and throws a tank or something down. For some reason I suddenly can't seem to get the zandatsu's lined properly in time.

Actually since that part is quite hard, the cuts are quite lenient. As long as they are sort of paralell and near the area it should cut.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks Jase, I didn't have the habit of reading gaming related news before joining GAF.

Oh, I didn't mention the amount of time between the two events so as to imply that you should have known, but rather I was just stating why the name has endured even though it's a been a good few months since Valve announced its plans for the living room ("old habits die hard" and all that).

Oh, I didn't mention the amount of time between the two events so as to imply that you should have known, but rather I was just stating why the name has endured even though it's a been a good few months since Valve announced its plans for the living room ("old habits die hard" and all that).

Got it, for me it was new to know that there were rumors about the Steam Machines long before their announcement.

Tellaerin

Yeah, fun but definitely overstays it's welcome, it's like 12 hours long :/

12 hours is a long time for a game to you now? Seriously? >_<

Honest suggestion: Don't try to marathon games like that. Just play when the urge takes you and put it down for awhile when you feel yourself getting tired of it. You'll enjoy it more that way, and get more out of it, IMO.

EdmondD

Hah, I'm still referring to it as a "steambox". I assumed Valve started promoting their deep carpet cleaning vacuums. I just realized they're called Steam Machines now.

Yeah, I still call them Steambox. I think it sounds slightly better than Steam Machine.

Sajjaja

Oh yes yes, that part. I think you can get away with 2/3 iirc. But yeah, that part will take some practice as they don't really force you to do that stuff too often throughout the game with exception to Sundowner, but even then he can be beat without it.

Honest suggestion: Don't try to marathon games like that. Just play when the urge takes you and put it down for awhile when you feel yourself getting tired of it. You'll enjoy it more that way, and get more out of it, IMO.

The danger with that approach is I find it very hard to return to games after a break.

Shadow Warrior is actually a good example. I played a couple of hours and enjoyed it well enough. But after a few days off I didn't feel like playing it anymore and probably will not return.

Often these days I just need to get a game done

When you are trying to clear games from your Steam backlog, how much time do you usually give a game to click with you before you call it quits?

I've been trying to play each game for at least an hour and a half, but sometimes I don't know if I'm giving a game a fair enough shake. :\

r3n4ud

I find 12 hours long for a fps (melee in this case). 8-10 hours is the sweet spot.

cicero

General feeling seems to be that Events are a pain in the arse, but an improved more active SteamGAF Group would be welcome?

You know what would be nice? A GAF centric central group, or a remade current group, that has on its main profile/info page a complete list of official/unofficial GAF Steam groups and any current ongoing GAF Steam related threads in general, or for specific games. Who needs to focus in on messy notifications for specific group game meetups in the one large group when you can provide the info that would direct them to the appropriate game specific groups/threads where activity IS taking place.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Are they actually going to honor that?
Also, lol at the current 80$ preorder price.

Yeah, Tony said over at CAG (where the price mistake was posted) that it'd be honored. Amazon's good about honoring price mistakes in general.

When did that happens and why no one posted about it?!

On the 13th, for about uhh, 15 minutes or so. No idea, a lot of deals don't get posted here anymore and there's not much focus on Steam related deals. I mostly check certain Twitter feeds, Reddit Gamedeals and occasionally CAG these days for heads up on deals (and friends/chat). Right before that there was a price mistake on $200 Neverwinter DLC making it 0.99 that was up for a couple hours but never got mentioned here (I came back to an IM from a friend), but that's more understandable in comparison to something like the Aliens: Isolation pre-order. But yeah, it happens a lot.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On the 13th, for about uhh, 15 minutes or so. No idea, a lot of deals don't get posted here anymore and there's not much focus on Steam related deals. I mostly check certain Twitter feeds, Reddit Gamedeals and occasionally CAG these days for heads up on deals (and friends/chat). Right before that there was a price mistake on $200 Neverwinter DLC making it 0.99 that was up for a couple hours but never got mentioned here (I came back to an IM from a friend), but that's more understandable in comparison to something like the Aliens: Isolation pre-order. But yeah, it happens a lot.

Jshackles mentioned the Neverwinter price mistake, but it was fixed by the time he hit "Submit Reply".

Turfster

Yeah, Tony said over at CAG (where the price mistake was posted) that it'd be honored. Amazon's good about honoring price mistakes in general.

I'm sad I missed the Alien deal. The Neverwinter DLC thing was posted here, tho.
I mainly check Gamedeals and a few IRC channels for deals.

NotSelf

When you are trying to clear games from your Steam backlog, how much time do you usually give a game to click with you before you call it quits?

I've been trying to play each game for at least an hour and a half, but sometimes I don't know if I'm giving a game a fair enough shake. :\

Your doing much better then me I usually call it quites within the first 5 or 10 minutes.

If you have electrolytes, equip them and they will auto-use to fill your gauge if you need it.
You only really need 3/4 of the boxes. I think 2/4 is too few. First cut is one diagonal, the second is the other, and the 3rd is usually almost horizontal.

Oh yes yes, that part. I think you can get away with 2/3 iirc. But yeah, that part will take some practice as they don't really force you to do that stuff too often throughout the game with exception to Sundowner, but even then he can be beat without it.

Yeah, it just takes some practice to get used to. Hopefully people have been upgrading their fuel cells. The first time you face him it's always the hardest because you don't have the muramasa available to customize yet. After you put some points into that puppy, it sings like a champ.

Tellaerin

The danger with that approach is I find it very hard to return to games after a break.

Shadow Warrior is actually a good example. I played a couple of hours and enjoyed it well enough. But after a few days off I didn't feel like playing it anymore and probably will not return.

Often these days I just need to get a game done

That's fair enough. Personally, I try to limit myself to only playing one major game in a particular genre at a time. So if I'm playing through Shadow Warrior, I'm not going to start another single-player FPS, and whenever I get the urge to play an FPS, that's the one I'll keep coming back to until I'm done with it. Naturally there are exceptions - there are (too many) games I've gotten distracted from by other things and keep telling myself I'll get back to "eventually" - but that's the approach that seems to work best for me.

Silly question, but since you know that deals like that aren't getting posted here, why not take a moment to post about them in the thread? I'm sure there are people here who don't follow the Twitter feeds, Reddits or CAG boards like you do, and would find stuff like that relevant to their interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom