• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnomed

When you are trying to clear games from your Steam backlog, how much time do you usually give a game to click with you before you call it quits?

I've been trying to play each game for at least an hour and a half, but sometimes I don't know if I'm giving a game a fair enough shake. :\

I usually don't go by hours, but by sessions. It took a few sessions for me to get hooked on The Binding of Isaac. I say don't worry about trying to finish the game, eventually you will get enjoyment out of it when the time comes. Play something you like, complete the game and you will move on naturally once you've had your fill.

Don't listen to me, I only play the Day Z

JakeD

On the 13th, for about uhh, 15 minutes or so. No idea, a lot of deals don't get posted here anymore and there's not much focus on Steam related deals. I mostly check certain Twitter feeds, Reddit Gamedeals and occasionally CAG these days for heads up on deals (and friends/chat). Right before that there was a price mistake on $200 Neverwinter DLC making it 0.99 that was up for a couple hours but never got mentioned here (I came back to an IM from a friend), but that's more understandable in comparison to something like the Aliens: Isolation pre-order. But yeah, it happens a lot.

Any specific Twitter accounts you'd recommend?

wilflare

I haven't either, and yeah, there are reasons for that.

Steam chat isn't much different than the Steam threads these days though, both are notable for containing somewhat insular communities who primarily shoot the shit with each other daily. I find out Steam related deals, price mistakes etc. (way) earlier in the chats I frequent than in this thread anymore. Many never get posted here at all.

Aliens: Isolation pre-order for $10 at Amazon being one of the most recent.

damn that Aliens Isolation pre-order price mistake.
maybe I should come back to the Steam chats (that place scares me though... I always feel like I'm doing something wrong.. if not I'm not getting the jokes/humorl

Turfster

Time will tell on that one. You might have missed a great deal, or ...
Well, yeah, but from what I've read, I'd probably at least have gotten my 10$ out of it.
On the other hand, I didn't get any of my zero dollars out of A:CM.
Still, they're not Gearbox, so there's hope!

Sajjaja

damn that Aliens Isolation pre-order price mistake.
maybe I should come back to the Steam chats (that place scares me though... I always feel like I'm doing something wrong.. if not I'm not getting the jokes/humorl

There is nothing wrong with the Steam chat.

Wish I got that Neverwinter deal though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Fine, I know I suck at MGR. The final boss didn't need to remind me of that so brutally.

I can't beat him. Don't think I ever will.

Momentary

Banned
Seriously... Sam's VR mission 4. What the fuck? I haven't used a single item in the entire game yet, but I've about given up on this shit.

wilflare

The $200 Hero of the North pack was accidentally put up on Eastern European stores and on the Ukrainian store in particular it was just 99c.

lol that's amazing. man you guys probably track these deals faster and better than the hookups Steam Group.

Anustart

For the record I thought the first episode of season 2 was particularly poor. There is a long way to go of course and a dip in quality was inevitable (because of a new cast). But to me the series is yet to prove it can make me care about anybody outside of Lee and Clem.

Not a bad day.

Yeah, I saw you're explanation like 2 seconds after I posted that lol. Sorry for the confusion :p

Myshkin

Well, yeah, but from what I've read, I'd probably at least have gotten my 10$ out of it.
On the other hand, I didn't get any of my zero dollars out of A:CM.
Still, they're not Gearbox, so there's hope!

Please don't say that. We're counting on Gearbox for Homeworld HD.

stonedwal

Had some leftover keys from the Humble Bundle and all of my friends either already had them or weren't interested, so they're up for grabs

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-09CD399E6B49EE6B - Taken by mannerbot. 4 entrants total.
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-07CDF1F1FEF06AA1 - Taken by oipic. 5 entrants total.

t1390105383z1.png

Started playing through some of my GFWL games in prep for the eventual shutdown. Holy crap, Dead Rising 2 is such a piece of shit. The combat's not very fun at the beginning, you have no idea when your weapons are going to break, and there aren't very many save points (let alone, oh, I don't know, an AUTO-SAVE feature). And yes, I've read all the stuff about how auto-save can screw you. You know what actually screws me? The game CRASHING before I can even get to the next save point. Like, I've managed to run across the very first mall you walk through, kill some looters and get into the pharmacy to pick up my first box of Zombrex, and then BAM game has crashed. This has happened twice now.

I would swear off Capcom games entirely, except that Remember Me was a Capcom game and that was good. But pretty much every other game I've ever played of theirs has been awful for one reason or another.

Jawmuncher

Started playing through some of my GFWL games in prep for the eventual shutdown. Holy crap, Dead Rising 2 is such a piece of shit. The combat's not very fun at the beginning, you have no idea when your weapons are going to break, and there aren't very many save points (let alone, oh, I don't know, an AUTO-SAVE feature). And yes, I've read all the stuff about how auto-save can screw you. You know what actually screws me? The game CRASHING before I can even get to the next save point. Like, I've managed to run across the very first mall you walk through, kill some looters and get into the pharmacy to pick up my first box of Zombrex, and then BAM game has crashed. This has happened twice now.

I would swear off Capcom games entirely, except that Remember Me was a Capcom game and that was good. But pretty much every other game I've ever played of theirs has been awful for one reason or another.

While I prefer DR1 to DR2, I wouldn't call the second game crap.
Its definitely an acquired taste though for most. Off the Record personally is Better for newcomers since it has auto save and checkpoints. However the crashing is a problem. It happens scarcely but in this sort of game losing progress is terrible.

Lain

On the 13th, for about uhh, 15 minutes or so. No idea, a lot of deals don't get posted here anymore and there's not much focus on Steam related deals. I mostly check certain Twitter feeds, Reddit Gamedeals and occasionally CAG these days for heads up on deals (and friends/chat). Right before that there was a price mistake on $200 Neverwinter DLC making it 0.99 that was up for a couple hours but never got mentioned here (I came back to an IM from a friend), but that's more understandable in comparison to something like the Aliens: Isolation pre-order. But yeah, it happens a lot.

Damn. I don't use twitter, so I guess I should start to take a look at Reddit Gamedeals from time to time.

Relax.MX

What will happen to the games that had GFWL without plans to update like RE5? It just will not be able to play it? I have several games with that shit on the backlog :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What will happen to the games that had GFWL without plans to update like RE5? It just will not be able to play it? I have several games with that shit on the backlog :(

Single-player GFWL games that fully support offline profiles will continue to be playable, albeit without DLC and achievements. As far as Steam is concerned, Age of Empires Online and Bulletstorm don't support offline profiles at all while Dark Souls does with the caveat that saving isn't possible.

Sajjaja

Single-player GFWL games that fully support offline profiles will continue to be playable, albeit without DLC and achievements. As far as Steam is concerned, Age of Empires Online and Bulletstorm don't support offline profiles at all while Dark Souls does with the caveat that saving isn't possible.

OH lawwwdddddd.

Relax.MX

There is a list of games that will not be supported even to play alone? Are some games i need to buy and play. The first two that come to mind are buy RE5 and play Ms. Splosion Man

I still can't believe how these publishers are handling this.

Grief.exe

When you are trying to clear games from your Steam backlog, how much time do you usually give a game to click with you before you call it quits?

I've been trying to play each game for at least an hour and a half, but sometimes I don't know if I'm giving a game a fair enough shake. :\

2 hours, max.

Fine, I know I suck at MGR. The final boss didn't need to remind me of that so brutally.

I can't beat him. Don't think I ever will.

You can run under the debris he throws at you, ninja run to dodge the ground-flames right before he punches the ground, spam dodge buttons when he goes yellow, and parry everything else.

If you manage to cut the debris, it drops 4 nanopastes, save and reload and you will start the fight with those pastes.

That fight really combines all abilities you learn throughout MGR and exposes your weaknesses. I was doing fine in the fight, but I could never cut through the debris. My advice for that section is to switch to scheme B, which changes the left stick to the angle of your cut and the right stick to camera control. You aim the angle by rotating the stick, line up two boxes in the debris, let go of the stick to through the cut. Use the right stick for some minor adjustments.

I ended up fucking up the debris section so much that I ended up perfecting the fight before I even beat it. When I finally got my blade mode skills down, it didn't take too long to come back and get the no damage achievement.

vfrWmQ3.png

JaseC

There is a list of games that will not be supported even to play alone? Are some games i need to buy and play. The first two that come to mind are buy RE5 and play Ms. Splosion Man

AoE Online, Bulletstorm and (to some extent) Dark Souls are the only ones that come to mind, assuming of course they aren't patched. There may be others but since they're not on Steam I haven't cared to look. :p As per the GFWL FAQ, offline profiles can be used to play without ever connecting to the service, which is why most single-player games will be largely unaffected by the closure:

Do users have to create a LIVE account to play a Games for Windows — LIVE game?

No, you can play offline without ever connecting to Microsoft or creating a LIVE profile. Games for Windows — LIVE supports the creation and use of an offline “local” profile that exists only on the user’s computer. This account will let you play the single player portions of the game, but the user will not be able to play multiplayer, gain achievements, or take advantage of the other LIVE features. However, Microsoft strongly recommends that users who wish to play offline create an online account and then use that account to log in “offline.” This makes the end-user experience better, since it ensures that saved games, purchasing /downloading add-on content for the game, and keeping the account across Xbox LIVE, Games for Windows – LIVE, and Xbox LIVE on Windows Phone remains consistent.

Do you need to activate to play when using an offline account?

No, if you create and sign in with an offline account, the Games for Windows — LIVE service is not contacted and therefore no activation or Internet connection is required.

oipic

Had some leftover keys from the Humble Bundle and all of my friends either already had them or weren't interested, so they're up for grabs

A belated thank you, stonedwal - thanks! Sorry, I entered then ran off to tidy my house, was a nice surprise to come back to - cheers. :)

Interesting. I'll wait for reviews, tho.

I still have ripped copies of my old cd's currently installed, but I can't seem to fix the widescreen issues either in the registry or by using compatibility modes like the internet says.

The awesome thing is even the original versions of these games still hold up phenomenally well graphically and in gameplay. Really hope these show up on Steam relatively unaltered from the originals.

Could be misunderstanding you, but I'm pretty sure you can use an offline profile with Dark Souls and still save.

JaseC

Interesting. I'll wait for reviews, tho.

Speaking of giving up hope, though, I don't see Cataclysm happening in any form. As of Community Day Gearbox still hadn't found any source material and I doubt this has changed. As I mentioned in the thread at the time, it ought to put up a website asking for help as surely somebody somewhere knows someone who has something.

Speaking of giving up hope, though, I don't see Cataclysm happening in any form. As of Community Day Gearbox still hadn't found any source material and I doubt this has changed. As I mentioned in the thread at the time, it ought to put up a website asking for help as surely somebody somewhere knows someone who has something.

Oh man, that sucks. Cataclysm clearly wasn't made by the same team behind Homeworld but the quirks it introduced to the game's systems were neat on their own merits. Wish I could remember where I put my game disc...

Turfster

The awesome thing is even the original versions of these games still hold up phenomenally well graphically and in gameplay. Really hope these show up on Steam relatively unaltered from the originals.
Well, they gave away original keys for the community day, didn't they?
So it'll be on Steam, probably as a preorder bonus.

Yeah. They could reverse engineer from a final disc if all else fails, but that's going to be... interesting.

Well, they gave away original keys for the community day, didn't they?
So it'll be on Steam, probably as a preorder bonus.
Yeah. They could reverse engineer from a final disc if all else fails, but that's going to be... interesting.

I stopped following updates on the Homeworld license ever since that indie publisher tried to buy the rights using kickstarter tbh. I don't really follow any gaming news anymore.

zkylon

zkylewd
beaten mgr

meh, never got around liking it

I don't get who thought it was a good idea to add a useless jump button then make it so that blocking and evading are super similar to the forward dash attack so that half the time I end up running towards them instead of blocking but eh.

glad other people enjoyed it but I really hated it by the end, which is really sad since the story is batshit idiotic in the best of ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom