• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Unless something has changed (the game has been patched one, after all), it doesn't seem so:

I have a friend who says that he played Dark Souls offline (as in, without internet) with an online profile and it saved without any issues.

Sure, he was using an Online Profile (something you won't be able to create after the system goes down, I believe), but he had no internet access at all. Maybe the "not saving" is only with Offline Profiles?

Never lose your Profile files (GameSaveManager backups those as well) is the lesson here, I guess.

Anteater

beaten mgr

meh, never got around liking it

I don't get who thought it was a good idea to add a useless jump button then make it so that blocking and evading are super similar to the forward dash attack so that half the time I end up running towards them instead of blocking but eh.

glad other people enjoyed it but I really hated it by the end, which is really sad since the story is batshit idiotic in the best of ways

Evading takes a bit of getting used to, I think it just kind of clicked for me after a play through or so, sometimes I just kind of sidestep to the wrong position by accident

go play the sam dlc, you might like it better! his moveset is a lot simpler though but quite fun to play as

AoE Online, Bulletstorm and (to some extent) Dark Souls are the only ones that come to mind, assuming of course they aren't patched. There may be others but since they're not on Steam I haven't cared to look. :p As per the GFWL FAQ, offline profiles can be used to play without ever connecting to the service, which is why most single-player games will be largely unaffected by the closure:

Reading this, could I be able to play Gears of Wars offline?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
With the service down, we probably won't be able to DOWNLOAD the games anymore, right?

maybe I should download and backup my copy of Viva Piñata while I can.

I have a friend who says that he played Dark Souls offline (as in, without internet) with an online profile and it saved without any issues.

Sure, he was using an Online Profile (something you won't be able to create after the system goes down, I believe), but he had no internet access at all. Maybe the "not saving" is only with Offline Profiles?

Never lose your Profile files (GameSaveManager backups those as well) is the lesson here, I guess.

I have an offline profile and just tested with Dark Souls. I was able to save and reload it after quitting.

So fixed at some stage or not, it seems that aspect is ok.

The reason I created it is because I couldn't log into GFWL and hence could not load my normal save. So I would say do whatever you need to do with your gfwl online save before d-day (assuming no patches, but I have little hope they will do anything)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, the Steam Community thread I linked to mentions signing in and disallowing GFWL access to the internet as a roundabout way of playing offline with saving enabled.

I've been having a hankering to play some old school Zoo Tycoon, but can't find my old CD.

Anyone know where I can get a digital copy of it? Google isn't helping me much, most of the results were either offline or had old, broken links. Did Microsoft ever even sell a digital version?

The reason I created it is because I couldn't log into GFWL and hence could not load my normal save. So I would say do whatever you need to do with your gfwl online save before d-day (assuming no patches, but I have little hope they will do anything)
You can still load saves offline with your LIVE profile. Some games require you to disable your network adapter though, or you won't be able to sign in. I experienced this recently with Bulletstorm.

JaseC

Nice, thank you for the tip, I hope EPIC games bring it to Steam... but I doubt it!

That's up to Microsoft. It's incredibly dumb that MS had a digital version of the game sitting on the GFWL Marketplace but never bothered to send it to Valve. Ditto for Viva Pinata. And more recently ilomilo+ (currently WinStore-exclusive).

That's up to Microsoft. It's incredibly dumb that MS had a digital version of the game sitting on the GFWL Marketplace but never bothered to send it to Valve. Ditto for Viva Pinata. And more recently ilomilo+ (currently WinStore-exclusive).

Yeah, I bought the GOW digital version from the Market Place like 2 years ago, and MS could easily send it to Valve and patch it out... they can earn a lot of money, but knowing how's MS, they won't do that! :/

ModBot said:
Instructions for MrTeachwell:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this.
giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bitrunner 2 -- MB-49A87CE5A7353816 - Taken by vvise. 4 entrants total.
Reus -- MB-FB302C762CAE5BF3 - Taken by Stronghammer22. 1 entrants total. - Taken by Stronghammer22. 1 entrants total.

t1390113483z1.png

For those who have yet to win anything recently, good luck.

I hope it works with links to the humble giveaway address

Xanathus

Finished Saint's Row IV with 14 hours left, it says it took me 11 hours to do it. I mostly burned through the main story missions and a couple of the side missions that unlocked cool abilities and spent some time with collectibles. Will definitely buy it (when it's $10 with all DLCs).

zkylon

zkylewd
Evading takes a bit of getting used to, I think it just kind of clicked for me after a play through or so, sometimes I just kind of sidestep to the wrong position by accident

go play the sam dlc, you might like it better! his moveset is a lot simpler though but quite fun to play as

yea I just spent like half an hour talking about the game with my brother. he loved it, but he's a crazy metal gear fan and didn't really like bayonetta and I think bayonetta would be kind of my favorite game ever if it had a stable framerate and a "turn off qtes" option.

we agreed at the game being more god of war than bayonetta or devil may cry, what with the focus on counters and with the shitty secondary weapons, and since I'm not a big fan of that style of game it makes sense I'm not as enamored with this one as he is. add to it that I was stupid enough to play the game on hard (and you can't change difficulty midway without starting over for some crazy reason) and that the camera and the lock on system both hate me and I just got frustrated with it.

kind of sad since I feel I should've been all over this game but I guess it just wasn't meant to be

guess it's time for the xenosaga then >:D

Card Boy

Banned
Another World remaster is pretty awesome, I wish DotEmu would do Flashback now. I know the original is included in the Flashback remake but i think Dotemu can spruce it up nicely.

I have died like 100 times and i don't give a fuck.

You know what would be nice? A GAF centric central group, or a remade current group, that has on its main profile/info page a complete list of official/unofficial GAF Steam groups and any current ongoing GAF Steam related threads in general, or for specific games. Who needs to focus in on messy notifications for specific group game meetups in the one large group when you can provide the info that would direct them to the appropriate game specific groups/threads where activity IS taking place.

Yeah that sounds fair. Links to DayzGAF, MinecraftGAF, DOTAGAF, etc.

While I prefer DR1 to DR2, I wouldn't call the second game crap.
Its definitely an acquired taste though for most. Off the Record personally is Better for newcomers since it has auto save and checkpoints. However the crashing is a problem. It happens scarcely but in this sort of game losing progress is terrible.

The good news: the game crashes (less) if I put it in XP Compatibility Mode.

The bad news: They literally put a boss that can kill you in two or three attacks INSIDE ONE OF THE PLACES WHERE YOU SAVE. It's like Capcom is telling me to go fuck myself.

Arthea

I've played some more of Reus, 60 minutes eras lately (lvl 2), these are long, like really long, even 30 min ones didn't feel short whatsoever.
I understand why it is done, but playing every time "from the very beginning" gets old. I mean, I don't feel any progress I'm making, although a game insist I do make progress.
The game is not bad by any means but it is lacking something. For one, repetitiveness seems to be a bit too much, in world building games it's normal to have to repeat certain steps, but in Reus it feels that all what I'm doing is repeating. One reason behind this: your villages almost don't expand, even if there are some wars fought, these are not common, so world more or less remains the same during all era. Another reason, resources aren't that well balanced unfortunately, for example plants are better than animals. Mines are more or less useless until you can upgrade them too, that leaves one without use of strategy or planning as there is only one right way to do things (meaning repeating over and over) and in right order, symbiosis being nice idea as it is, sadly only increases only one right way pattern. It might have something to do with terrain having only 3 types and no real attributes too.
All in all, it's worth to play, especially shorter eras, not sure it's worth to stick with it. I'll plan to get to lvl3, to see what's there and will let you know how it went ;)

JaseC

Yeah, I bought the GOW digital version from the Market Place like 2 years ago, and MS could easily send it to Valve and patch it out... they can earn a lot of money, but knowing how's MS, they won't do that! :/

I still have my retail copy of Gears that I bought more than six years ago, including the receipt. If the game does show up on Steam and existing keys aren't made Steam-redeemable then I fully intend on pestering MS for a Steam-friendly key.

Edit: I want to jump on this but I think I'd be tempting fate.

I still have my retail copy of Gears that I bought more than six years ago, including the receipt. If the game does show up on Steam and existing keys aren't made Steam-redeemable then I fully intend on pestering MS for a Steam-friendly key.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do just in case MS brings the game to Steam (I still have my paypal receipt/proof of purchase) :D

Roll the dice Jase ;)

Sajjaja

I bought my GoW for $2 :) Was practically new as everything worked and still has the sleeve.

Arthea

you know, pestering don't work most of the time, may be with your luck works, thought :)
I have collection edition of HoMM 5 and I can't redeem it on steam, what wouldn't be that surprising, but then again I can't redeem it on uplay either and I tried pestering tactics already!

That's really tempting price... only it's no good unless for collection purposes, no?

JaseC

Yeah that's what I'm going to do just in case MS brings the game to Steam (I still have my paypal receipt/proof of purchase) :D

Roll the dice Jase ;)

Maybe I will, Milhouse. Maybe I will...

I bought my GoW for $2 :) Was practically new as everything worked and still has the sleeve.

I paid somewhere around $70. I was young and naive. :(

you know, pestering don't work most of the time, may be with your luck works, thought :)

Well, I haven't actually tried many times to get a Steam key for an existing copy. There was my attempt to get a key for Arkham Aslum vanilla, but WB didn't want to oblige, and Exuro never got back to me about Zombie Driver (if I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'll try again). Bethesda didn't get back to me regarding Wolf09 and Quake Wars, either.

That's really tempting price... only it's no good unless for collection purposes, no?

It'd be $10 down the drain if I couldn't one day redeem the game on Steam.

Relax.MX

Im playing Dead Island, oh man this is like a beta, feels awkward, soulless and after 1 hour and i think i played almost all, the characters have zero charisma, no interesting story, nothing motivates to follow. But a game with a friend it's always fun to play.

Anteater

Im playing Dead Island, oh man this is like a beta, feels awkward, soulless and after 1 hour and i think i played almost all, the characters have zero charisma, no interesting story, nothing motivates to follow. But a game with a friend it's always fun to play.

I remember when the first CGI trailer came out for Dead Island, one of the top Youtube comments was praising how different the game is and how he cares about the characters in the trailer more than everyone else in the other soulless video games he has played.

Hokuto no Ken mod.

Arthea

It's been a few years, but as I recall...

If you played Spell Force 1, then SF2 is more of the same, but harder - there are difficulty levels though. I thought the campaigns were reasonably well written for both SF1&2. I don't recall details of the stories, but I enjoyed it while playing it. It's motivating enough. You will learn the controls quickly and I don't recall having any problems with units doing different things than I told them to or such.

If you are susceptible to carpal tunnel, you might have an issue. If you've played SF1 you already know about it. It's relatively minor, but I definitely felt something - nowhere near the effect from the constant right-click-and-drag operations of Colonization, but that was in a tier by itself. If you don't care about the challenge, then you can turn the difficulty down and take your time.

Thanks Myshkin! I didn't particularly like SF1, but might give SF2 a chance. Talking about SF2, it had some expansions and I've seen several SF2 entries on steam. Do expansions go as separate games or something?

For those who have yet to win anything recently, good luck.

I hope it works with links to the humble giveaway address
Oh wow, I won. The only entrant, sure, but it still counts. :) Thanks a lot MrTeachwell, I've had Reus on my radar for quite a while.

In the spirit of giving, the first person to answer this question correctly will receive Spelunky.

In the TV show Coupling, what is it that Susan's father says (over dinner, I think), that causes Steve to throw him and his wife out?

Ban Puncher

Oh wow, I won. The only entrant, sure, but it still counts. :) Thanks a lot MrTeachwell, I've had Reus on my radar for quite a while.

In the spirit of giving, the first person to answer this question correctly will receive Spelunky.

In the TV show Coupling, what is it that Susan's father says (over dinner, I think), that causes Steve to throw him and his wife out?

Something about masturbation? It's been a while since I've seen it.

Edit: Whistling alone?

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I remember when the first CGI trailer came out for Dead Island, one of the top Youtube comments was praising how different the game is and how he cares about the characters in the trailer more than everyone else in the other soulless video games he has played.

Borderlands with melee weapons and resident evil zombies/BOWS.

Guessing this is a old UK show so I'm automatically out lol.

Another World remaster is pretty awesome, I wish DotEmu would do Flashback now. I know the original is included in the Flashback remake but i think Dotemu can spruce it up nicely.

I have died like 100 times and i don't give a fuck.

The vast majority of the work (read: the graphics) was done in 2006 by not-DotEmu.

I haven't read the comments, and the stuff written on there is interesting, but I can't say that I share his excitement for SteamOS and Steam Machines.

To me that post rather reads as "I'm going all in on Steam". I don't think Valve's major goal/best bet with this con was to sell devs on their livingroom initiative as much as it was selling them on Steam itself (even more). And judging by the responses particurarly to the in-game economy, UGC, communication and VR panels they did a mighty fine job with that. Devs will want to be a part of Steam and it's future, which will lead to them naturally supporting SteamOS and Steam Controller.

I'm not going to enter, but I just wanted to say I love that show and its euphemisms
Me too, it is amazing.
Something about masturbation? It's been a while since I've seen it.

Edit: Whistling alone?
You're somewhat in the ballpark. I may have made it a bit too difficult. I watch the show often, so it's pretty fresh in my memory.

If you can finish this sentence (preferably without Google), it's yours.

"All that whistling, by the time Susan gets home, you'll be too tired to ____"

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Me too, it is amazing.

You're somewhat in the ballpark. I may have made it a bit too difficult. I watch the show often, so it's pretty fresh in my memory.

I know it, but I have Spelunky already, ha. Good show!

Ban Puncher

Me too, it is amazing.

Pucker.

Full disclosure - I didn't use Google but I did call a friend who is a massive Coupling fan and say "Yo dawg, finish this quote". I am a filthy, filthy cheater.

Knurek

I can confirm Dark Souls working just fine with an offline profile - I have ~30 hours clocked in the game and have never had any problems. There's a message at startup that the game won't be able to 'connect', meaning no player messages/invasions but the rest works 100% OK.

Ban Puncher

I can confirm Dark Souls working just fine with an offline profile - I have ~30 hours clocked in the game and have never had any problems. There's a message at startup that the game won't be able to 'connect', meaning no player messages/invasions but the rest works 100% OK.

If a witch says it in red it's gotta be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom