• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I think some people over at SPUF are getting a little confused with Dark Souls and GFWL. There are three ways you can play Darks Souls regards to saving and profiles.

1). You play with a live profile you can obviously play online and use your saves on more than one computer.

2). You create an offline profile which obviously doesn't allow you to play on online and your saves can only be used on the machine you created that profile.

3). You can play without a profile but this will lock you out of online and won't allow you to save.

Now once GFWL has bitten the dust you'll no longer be able to play online or recover your profile if it isn't already backed up. As Drizzle says use GameSave Manager as it backs up your Online Profiles as well so at least when GFWL has had the stake thrust into its heart you can play Dark Souls on multiple pc's without save issues. You can test this for yourselves now by yanking your internet connection.

Bulletstorm is the only real pain as this needs a Live profile to play at all, even if it's offline so you need to have created or recovered one with Bulletstorm's cd key registered to it before GFWL is gone for ever.

End of the day Dark Souls will continue to live on afterwards, albeit without online unless Namco is sorting that out (did I hear rumblings they are?).

Edit: Amended Bulletstorm info after getting JaseC'd!

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I think some people over at SPUF are getting a little confused with Dark Souls and GFWL. There are three ways you can play Darks Souls regards to saving and profiles.

1). You play with a live profile you can obviously play online and use your saves on more than one computer.

Now once GFWL has bitten the dust you'll no longer be able to play online or recover your profile if it isn't already backed up. As Drizzle says use GameSave Manager as it backs up your Online Profiles as well so at least when GFWL has had the stake thrust into its heart you can play Dark Souls on multiple pc's without save issues. You can test this for yourselves now by yanking your internet connection.
So how do I do this? I just select the Dark Souls directory from Gamesave manager or I have to do something else?

Dr Dogg

So how do I do this? I just select the Dark Souls directory from Gamesave manager or I have to do something else?

GameSave Manager will look after your GFWL profile. Thankfully Dark Souls' save are actually backed up to the Steamcloud. I can't remember how I did it as it was a while ago but I think I added every GFWL game and the Marketplace app to it just to be on the safe side, then Dropboxed the lot of it.

TronLight

GameSave Manager will look after your GFWL profile. Thankfully Dark Souls' save are actually backed up to the Steamcloud. I can't remember how I did it as it was a while ago but I think I added every GFWL game and the Marketplace app to it just to be on the safe side, then Dropboxed the lot of it.

Well I backed up XLive directory in AppData, going to store it everywhere I can now. :lol
Do I have to back up the registry key too?

Kiru

Thanks Myshkin! I didn't particularly like SF1, but might give SF2 a chance. Talking about SF2, it had some expansions and I've seen several SF2 entries on steam. Do expansions go as separate games or something?
I know that SF2 Faith in Destiny is a standalone expansion, if that helps.

yuraya

Bulletstorm is the only real pain as this needs a Live profile to save, even if it's offline so you need to have created or recovered one with Bulletstorm's cd key registered to it before GFWL is gone for ever.

End of the day Dark Souls will continue to live on afterwards, albeit without online unless Namco is sorting that out (did I hear rumblings they are?).

thanks for the explanation. I was starting to worry all my progress in the game would be deleted once they shutdown gfwl and I would need to start a new game. For some reason I always thought MS would just end support for GFWL (it would still exist) and not outright cut the cord on it.

I'm pretty relaxed about the whole GFWL thing. For the few things I purchased that had it included, I knew exactly what I was getting into and picked up the games at appropriate prices to match it.

TronLight

I'm pretty relaxed about the whole GFWL thing. For the few things I purchased that had it included, I knew exactly what I was getting into and picked up the games at appropriate prices to match it.

Same here. I steered clear of all GFWL games, save 3 or 4, and bought them for little.

Dr Dogg

Well I backed up XLive directory in AppData, going to store it everywhere I can now. :lol
Do I have to back up the registry key too?

Hahaha do you know what I don't know. I'd say so to be on the safe side. Really this is only going to come in to play when you need to do a reinstall.

thanks for the explanation. I was starting to worry all my progress in the game would be deleted once they shutdown gfwl and I would need to start a new game. For some reason I always thought MS would just end support for GFWL (it would still exist) and not outright cut the cord on it.

Well they are ending support but offline it will still function with some caveats. I'm planning on getting any and all online stuff out of the way as a priority and the they'll just join the rest of my ostracised games in the backlog.

Im playing Dead Island, oh man this is like a beta, feels awkward, soulless and after 1 hour and i think i played almost all, the characters have zero charisma, no interesting story, nothing motivates to follow. But a game with a friend it's always fun to play.

I have it but I didn't try it already because of the stuttering problem, even with the dead island helper I notice it. I know that with a 360 controller it should disappear, I might try it, even if I don't like to play an FPS with a controller.
Funny thing is that even Rainbow Six Vegas 2 has the same problem (but this time the stuttering is with the mouse movement and not the keyboard) and with the 360 controller it's smooth.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

2). You create an offline profile which obviously doesn't allow you to play on online and your saves can only be used on the machine you created that profile.

3). You can play without a profile but this will lock you out of online and won't allow you to save.

Bulletstorm is the only real pain as this needs a Live profile to save, even if it's offline so you need to have created or recovered one with Bulletstorm's cd key registered to it before GFWL is gone for ever.

All you need is xliveless crack though. That's for any gfwl game from my knowledge and experience.

I don't get why the early chapters of Castlevania: Lord of Shadows are broken up in to such tiny sections. It feels like I'm playing through this long continuous level that's broken up at really random intervals by these completion screens. I don't mind that Lords of Shadow is a God of War clone, with a little Shadow of the Colossus thrown in for good measure but the pacing is really stilted. I feel like I'm watching the game in cinematics, scripted sequences and loading screens more than I am actually playing it so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

To clarify this, Bulletstorm needs an online profile to be played at all -- the game completely disallows offline (i.e. local) profiles.

All you need is xliveless crack though. That's for any gfwl game from my knowledge and experience.

Xliveless isn't a blanket solution (I've read reports here and there of it not working with certain games, though perhaps the folks just didn't install it properly), but, yes, one could just crack the game.

Xanathus

I don't get why the early chapters of Castlevania: Lord of Shadows are broken up in to such tiny sections. It feels like I'm playing through this long continuous level that's broken up at really random intervals by these completion screens. I don't mind that Lords of Shadow is a God of War clone, with a little Shadow of the Colossus thrown in for good measure but the pacing is really stilted. I feel like I'm watching the game in cinematics, scripted sequences and loading screens more than I am actually playing it so far.
360 has very little RAM and can't load multiple zones and LoS is a console port.

Games to play: Mark of the Ninja, To the Moon, Papo & Yo, FTL, King's Bounty.

Which one first steamgaf?

From the ones that I have played (FTL and MotN), I'd start with FTL because it's the best game I have played in long while. Simple, complex, hard and addicting. Still, it's a game that you can play forever, so you could start another game on the side. TtM is quite short right?

MotN is GAF favorite, but I played it as no kill/no alerts stealth game and found it after the first few great chapters very tedious experience. Checkpoints will fuck you over and the game, at parts, is a random buggy mess. For instance, in certain room with a timer, I failed and the timer disappeared and I spawned on the wrong side of the room. Then I had to spend 20 minutes trying to find a trigger that I previously missed (aka the game spawned me to the next checkpoint skipping the previous one), same time as the guards were all over me and room was filling with gas. And stuff like that happened to me nearly every chapter after the first two. Other times the checkpoint system just helped you, just as trying to perform a hard manuver, getting an alert, restarting and boom: you were instaspawned to the next checkpoint so had that going for me, which was nice.

So while I enjoyed the first few chapters, I'd rather just play it again as a ninja killer simulator instead of 2D MGS

Dr Dogg

To clarify this, Bulletstorm needs an online profile to be played at all -- the game completely disallows offline (i.e. local) profiles.

Ah yeah, my mistake. Shows how much of Bulletstorm I've played.

Isn't that a bit hit and miss though? I know if works for GTA IV and Fallout 3 but heard it has problems with games that require profile signed and encrypted saves. Still I'm sure we can all chip in a try it out to see what works and what doesn't.

oipic

Games to play: Mark of the Ninja, To the Moon, Papo & Yo, FTL, King's Bounty.

Which one first steamgaf?

Yep, as todd said, they're very different, but if you're looking to quickly tick some games off your backlog, then To the Moon and Papo & Yo are the way to go, then to a lesser extent, MotN (wonderful game, but a little lengthier).

To 'finish' any of the King's Bounty games can be a huge time commitment, probably more suited to being chipped away at alongside other more digestible chunks of gaming (or contrasting styles/genres, perhaps).

FTL is a game that keeps on giving, and depending on how roguelikes sit with you, this is probably something you could start now and keep coming back to for a long time.

Edit: sorry, yes, as everyone else said... my typing fingers are slow tonight. :)

jsrv

Is it normal for the steam client to be 'updating' when it's already updated, when launched? just started doing it earlier today.

the amount of shit there is to do in just cause 2 is overwhemling, i just got back to playing the game after not lauching it for almost half a year
i really hope nobody with ocd bought that game, it must take like 100 hours to 100% it, it's even worse than ubisoft games

wetflame

Pizza Dog
the amount of shit there is to do in just cause 2 is overwhemling, i just got back to playing the game after not lauching it for almost half a year
i really hope nobody with ocd bought that game, it must take like 100 hours to 100% it, it's even worse than ubisoft games
I remember someone, maybe JaseC, playing this and getting to 99.7% and there was one thing, a water tower maybe, that didn't spawn so he couldn't get to 100%. Must be so frustrating.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

jc2kqeao.jpg

I couldn't get to 100%, though, because Avalanche didn't ensure everything the game tracks added up and the mod that installs the missing items (a handful of resource items and a water tower) didn't entirely work correctly, so I had to settle for, IIRC, 98.something%. For the most part, chasing 100% was fine, but it took me hours to find this bloody thing.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Isn't that a bit hit and miss though? I know if works for GTA IV and Fallout 3 but heard it has problems with games that require profile signed and encrypted saves. Still I'm sure we can all chip in a try it out to see what works and what doesn't.

I personally never had a problem getting it to work before but then again I never tried every single GFWL game out there.

DocSeuss

Welp, I just played nine straight hours of The Banner Saga and posted my Steam review, so my work here is done.

What a great game. Would have been on the top of my GOTY list if it had been released a month prior. Everyone should buy it.

oipic

Just started playing Brothers.

I don't think there has ever been a larger gulf between what my brain intends and what my thumbs and trigger fingers do. It's like there's someone else's hands on my controller.

head-pat-tummy-rub-o.gif

Still, good times - it's great (and beautifully and cleverly done) so far.

I have to say the best gaming decision I've made in years was to move back to PC after a decade away. Steam really is amazing, modding games is a revelation, 1080p60 gaming is sublime and 3D on the PC is incredible. In an alternate universe, there's a bored version of me twiddling his thumbs, waiting for something interesting to play on his PS4. I'm pity alternate me; he chose......poorly.

I wonder how many console owners migrated over to PC, because of the long generation and the huge gap in performance that opened up during the course of it.

I just got a random friend request...

... on Desura!

I had no idea they even had that, I though desura was only where you parked games until they became available on steam.

Welp, I just played nine straight hours of The Banner Saga and posted my Steam review, so my work here is done.

What a great game. Would have been on the top of my GOTY list if it had been released a month prior. Everyone should buy it.
I haven't quite completed it (stuck on the final fight, playing on hard), but I've got to agree. I've been blown away by how good the game is. I'll be writing a glowing review for sure once I am finished. Then, I'll go for round two.

I don't think there has ever been a larger gulf between what my brain intends and what my thumbs and trigger fingers do. It's like there's someone else's hands on my controller.

head-pat-tummy-rub-o.gif

I had problems adjusting to the controls in Brothers as well. For as long as I can remember I control character movement in 3rd person games with both control sticks, the left is obviously for movement and the right one is always tilted slightly into the other horizontal direction, so that the camera pans around the character and stays roughly behind it.

Made for some weird situations in Brothers, where my brain wanted to do one thing, and the thing that happened on screen was something totally different, i.e. the brothers running in opposite directions. I got used to it in the end though.

Brothers in general: good looking game, but the puzzles were trite (the climbing/jumping sections, ugh) and I felt no connection to the characters. In ICO for example, the game takes its time to build the connection and dependencies between the characters through the environment and the puzzles, in Brothers I felt like I was looking at two cartoon characters that don't really have any characteristics I could relate to.

yuraya

head-pat-tummy-rub-o.gif

lol I've had same issues. I am only able to accurately control the big brother. The little brother always runs off the map like he is drunk or somethin :p My brain and thumbs refuse to focus in on both brothers at the same time.

fantomena

Will wait for Banner Saga to go on sale. Steam, GMG, Amazon, GamersGate, GameFly etc. has made me a cheap bastard. Can't buy a game before the game is at least 50% off.

lol I've had same issues. I am only able to accurately control the big brother. The little brother always runs off the map like he is drunk or somethin :p My brain and thumbs refuse to focus in on both brothers at the same time.

It would have been nice if they added a holding hand mechanic or something so you could move them as one in general play. As it is, you kind of get used to it (I kept them both together to make it easier) but it still makes for some funny moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom