• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pool Nation is woefully unstable. Alt-tab? Crash. Play more than 10 minutes? Crash. Crash? Crash.

Gvaz

Banned
If I may suggest, you should keep a lower volume for the game so it's easier to hear what you're saying.

As I said, I fixed it in later recordings. I have a part 2 here on my computer that has great audio levels (game didn't save the audio options and I didn't notice it till later).

Of course it's over 6gb for 1:47 so it'll take me like 12 hours to upload it o_o

MRORANGE

So the official NeoGAF GOTY awards are out:

-----------------

01. The Last of Us = 2268 points, 23 honorable mentions
02. BioShock Infinite = 1080 points, 34 honorable mentions
03. Grand Theft Auto V = 1058 points, 38 honorable mentions
04. Super Mario 3D World = 915 points, 14 honorable mentions
05. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds = 905 points, 16 honorable mentions
06. Fire Emblem Awakening = 795 points, 21 honorable mentions
07. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance = 586 points, 22 honorable mentions
08. Tomb Raider = 486 points, 39 honorable mentions
09. Tearaway = 454 points, 18 honorable mentions
10. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag = 437 points, 21 honorable mentions
11. Pokémon X/Y = 410 points, 25 honorable mentions
12. Dota 2 = 408 points, 7 honorable mentions
13. The Wonderful 101 = 387 points, 11 honorable mentions
14. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons = 336 points, 16 honorable mentions
15. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch = 325 points, 10 honorable mentions
16. Guacamelee! = 317 points, 28 honorable mentions
17. Pikmin 3 = 287 points, 10 honorable mentions
18. Animal Crossing: New Leaf = 281 points, 17 honorable mentions
19. Gone Home = 278 points, 18 honorable mentions
20. Papers, Please = 275 points, 24 honorable mentions

Compared to SteamGAF's choices:

A permanent list of results will be kept in post 2.

1 | Rogue Legacy ( 137 Points / 3.512820513 APS )
2 | Bioshock Infinite ( 137 Points / 3.341463415 APS )
3 | Spelunky ( 111 Points / 3.171428571 APS )
4 | Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed ( 95 Points / 2.878787879 APS )
5 | Papers, Please ( 81 Points / 3.115384615 APS )
6 | DOTA 2 ( 78 Points / 4.333333333 APS )
7 | Fez ( 73 Points / 3.65 APS )
8 | Saints Row IV ( 61 Points / 3.388888889 APS )
9 | Gone Home ( 57 Points / 2.85 APS )
10 | Starbound  ( 51 Points / 3.642857143 APS )
11 | Dust: An Elysian Tail 2 ( 51 Points / 2.684210526 APS )
12 | Tomb Raider ( 51 Points / 2.428571429 APS )
13 | Path of Exile ( 50 Points / 3.125 APS )
14 | The Swapper ( 49 Points / 3.266666667 APS )
15 | The Stanley Parable ( 48 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
16 | Skullgirls ( 41 Points / 2.411764706 APS )
17 | System Shock 2 ( 40 Points / 3.636363636 APS )
18 | Gunpoint ( 40 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
19 | Euro Truck Simulator 2 ( 39 Points / 3.25 APS )
20 | Volgarr the Viking ( 36 Points / 3.6 APS )

Only 5 games that we share in common in the top 20, Bioshock Infinite came 2nd in both as well :lol

Oh, Dota 2 won PC Game of the Year, Strategy Game of the Year and Digital Distribution Game of the Year.

JaseC

Was that the pool game with that really awful trailer recently? If so, I'm not surprised.

It's a rather solid pool game, but having said that I'm sure the bar isn't exactly high. I think the last pool game I played was the one built into MSN Messenger -- if memory serves it was only free for the first dozen or so games, at which point you had to subscribe to Microsoft's gaming service to continue playing.

Tizoc

My brother got the retail ver. of FF14 ARR, is there a way to redeem it on Steam so I could have its digital ver.?

So the official NeoGAF GOTY awards are out:

Compared to SteamGAF's choices:

Only 5 games that we share in common in the top 20, Bioshock Infinite came 2nd in both as well :lol

Oh, Dota 2 won PC Game of the Year and Digital Distribution Game of the Year.

I suppose it's also worth pointing out that Sonic Racing Transformed was GAF's Racing Game of the Year.

JaseC

My brother got the retail ver. of FF14 ARR, is there a way to redeem it on Steam so I could have its digital ver.?

FF14 isn't on Steam just yet, but once it is, if he still has proof of purchase he could try asking Squeenix for a Steam key.

kafiend

Pool Nation is woefully unstable. Alt-tab? Crash. Play more than 10 minutes? Crash. Crash? Crash.

I like it a lot and in contrast to you I haven't found it unstable at all. I just tried alt-tab and all went fine apart from it still playing game music when on the desktop. It does insist on detecting my steering wheel in the menus. Making it cycle endlessly through the options unless I hold my accelerator pedal part way down which pisses me off a bit.

I bought it so I could be there day one the Snooker DLC for it when it arrives. Played through a couple of the pool seasons though and it's great as a quick go kind of game.

JaseC

I like it a lot and in contrast to you I haven't found it unstable at all. I just tried alt-tab and all went fine apart from it still playing game music when on the desktop. It does insist on detecting my steering wheel in the menus. Making it cycle endlessly through the options unless I hold my accelerator pedal part way down which pisses me off a bit.

I bought it so I could be there day one the Snooker DLC for it when it arrives. Played through a couple of the pool seasons though and it's great as a quick go kind of game.

Just my luck, I guess. I couldn't even play it when it launched because I'd be greeted with nothing more than a black screen.

AHA-Lambda

That's probably for the best. Even on easy the last segment of the final boss took me like 20+ attempts.

Oh great, NME was already cheap as fuck and took me about 20 tries.

It's certainly not the worst game I've played in gameplay terms but it's the buggiest pos I've played in ages.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
49F5Jzs.png

Done! Damn fine game. Holy shit @ 31 hours though, that can't be right. Aside from Marked, Haiku, Perfection and Descendent of Iga the achievements aren't that time consuming. There was a bit of card idling when the game got them, but I guess my first playthrough months ago took much longer than I remembered.

Jawmuncher

I'm not as surprised about GAF at large placing Bioshock Infinite so high up.

I find it odd personally. BI has been all but forgotten in just about every other site awards.
Then again its sitting at number 2. I really think its more due to people not having played very much this year.

Didn't like Dark Souls initially, but now I'm addicted. How did this happen?

I had the same case with Demons Souls back in the day.
Hated it at first and dropped it started again with a few tips and couldn't put it down.

Anteater

I find it odd personally. BI has been all but forgotten in just about every other site awards.
Then again its sitting at number 2. I really think its more due to people not having played very much this year.

Doesn't that just mean more people have played it and voted on it compared to the other games on the list? The surprising thing is that it beats gta 5

It's a rather solid pool game, but having said that I'm sure the bar isn't exactly high. I think the last pool game I played was the one built into MSN Messenger -- if memory serves it was only free for the first dozen or so games, at which point you had to subscribe to Microsoft's gaming service to continue playing.

It probably is a decent game I just remember that reveal trailer not leaving a good impression on me lol. Sucks about the crashing.

On the 13th, for about uhh, 15 minutes or so. No idea, a lot of deals don't get posted here anymore and there's not much focus on Steam related deals. I mostly check certain Twitter feeds, Reddit Gamedeals and occasionally CAG these days for heads up on deals (and friends/chat). Right before that there was a price mistake on $200 Neverwinter DLC making it 0.99 that was up for a couple hours but never got mentioned here (I came back to an IM from a friend), but that's more understandable in comparison to something like the Aliens: Isolation pre-order. But yeah, it happens a lot.

I'm probably LTTP but...

I don't get this. You say that no deals get posted here anymore, but if someone knows about a deal and doesn't post it here, isn't that part of the problem. You mentioned 2 deals (1 was posted, 1 wasn't), that clearly few people knew about, why didn't you post them here yourself? I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't understand the logic.

I've found that most people post pricing errors or deals or bundles as they find them, clearly no one / few people here knew about that Aliens mistake.

Personally, I don't have enough time to follow everything gaming related and generally rely on SteamGAF and the community here to have most things covered.

Dr Dogg

Well it took 27 hours (19.33 in game) but finally finished SR IV. Managed to get 95% completion in total. Certainly Volition's best game to date. Sure it's not with out it's problems but parts of it are a better
future/sci-fi
action game than the majority of releases in the last 5 or so years that actually focus on that genre.

Phew I need a break now.

Prophane33

Do you feel it, Zach? My coffee told me I should give away a copy of this game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deadly Premonition -- MB-0ECCCF6836930AE3 - Taken by MMBosstones86

Kiru

Do you feel it, Zach? My coffee told me I should give away a copy of this game.

Nearly entered, but didn't know if it's ok because I don't really have the time to play it now. Maybe someone really wants to play it right now. Thanks for offering it!

Tizoc

While I enjoyed Bioshock Inf. for the most part, I wouldn't put in my top 10. I played the PS3 ver. on Easy or Normal I think and enjoyed Elisabeth,the settings, etc. Combat was OK, but the guns didn't have much 'feel' to them from what I remember.

This one (from the GAF GOTY 2013 thread) is one interesting top 20 list, I like it.

High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance

01. The Last of Us (3.29)
02. Dota 2 (3.11)
03. Europa Universalis IV (2.80)
04. Super Mario 3D World (2.74)
05. Persona 4 Golden (2.59)
06. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2.56)
07. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (2.55)
08. Fire Emblem Awakening (2.54)
09. Grand Theft Auto V (2.53)
10. The Wonderful 101 (2.51)
11. Shin Megami Tensei IV (2.41)
12. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2.41)
13. Path of Exile (2.38)
14. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2.36)
15. Final Fantasy IV: A Realm Reborn (2.33)
16. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2.32)
17. Rocksmith 2014 (2.31)
18. Toki Tori 2 (2.30)
19. BioShock Infinite (2.29)
20. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (2.24)

brentech

Some more humbles

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ARMA Tactics -- MB-40E94078B947F88C - Taken by NotSelf. 6 entrants total.
Alpha Prime -- MB-1EEAFA894246390F - Taken by _hekk05. 3 entrants total.
UFO: Afterlight -- MB-188E98089B4E5521 - Taken by Pakkidis. 8 entrants total.
ARMA -- MB-2746A5C9D5398401 - Taken by gabbo. 4 entrants total.

t1390155613z1.png

r3n4ud

Some more humbles

Wow, UFO looks like some good fun! Entered for that one. Thanks :)

-----

Really want to play Ass Creed IV. Never played an AC and pirates are right my alley. Hate paying anything close to full price though. Anyone know how much traders are selling it for?

Any sort of uber-GAF list also needs to take into account that stuff that performs pretty well across all platforms is going to get a boost vis-a-vis stuff that's only known on 1 or 2 platforms.

It's also a case of remembering a game for it's "peaks" rather than the overall experience (nothing wrong with that). I remember talking about BI right after finishing it, and bemoaning how the gunplay got really boring, how it felt like it was supposed to be a 3-act game but they spent so long making Act 1 they just crammed Act 3 into the last hour before entering into the finale, etc etc. But looking back on it now, I just generally remember the absolute wonder of the 1st 1/3 the game and some key scenes and sequences that I thought were absolutely amazing.

JaseC

Really want to play Ass Creed IV. Never played an AC and pirates are right my alley. Hate paying anything close to full price though. Anyone know how much traders are selling it for?

It's $30 on Amazon right now. You won't find it cheaper as the RU release subs are region-locked.

Here's a fun little tip for the game: When you incapacitate a larger ship, instead of boarding it immediately, jump off the Jackdaw and board it yourself, then kill everybody. There are fewer enemies to deal with plus you don't need to worry about your crew numbers dwindling; when you do return to your Jackdaw to board the ship with your crew, you'll either instantly win or just be asked to remove the flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom