• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually considering buying Saint's Row. Then I hit the mandatory meta-commentary stealth mission. And the moment is gone. Good. Twenty euros is a bit more expensive than I liked anyway.

Oh, and I couldn't bear to harm my good buddy Zinyak, of course. Come on, classy as fuck with good taste? (though his dramatic Shakespeare reading partner could use a beating) Can't I just sign up somewhere instead of pretending not to like him? I fucking hate dubstep too you know...

Really enjoyed the free weekend. Just trying to milk as much out before the time runs out to save me picking up until it goes 75% off or so.

One issue though, missing three audio logs and can't see them on the map. Anyone else have this issue or are they hidden?

Edit: Also the mission count says 37/45 even though I've completed all the main quests. Are the rest for the side quests or DLC? Or is it just bugged.

Levyne

Banned
I played Spec Ops via PS+ and even if the game doesn't really resonate with you completely I think its a fun trip to see a developer try something different with a shooter narrative.

Jawmuncher

So I need help on Papers Please again.
Mainly how do I check weight or detain anyone I want to?
Can't figure it out...it should be in the little book right?

EDIT: Well shit got the bad ending already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So torn. Saints Row Free Weekend has me hooked, and while I could see spending $20 on the game, the stacks of DLC are going to give my OCD fits. Damnit.

The DLC that isn't missions isn't worth the time.

There, I just saved you some cash.

denx

Hey GAF. I'm on vacation with only ocational access to the internet, so I won't be posting much for the next couple of weeks.

Been playing a bit of Batman Arkham City, and I've been having a ton of fun with it. I know some people prefer Arkham Asylum because it is a more focused experience, but so far I'm really enjoying the open world and more free-roaming nature of City. Combat also seems to have been improved (not that I could really tell since I'm absolutely awful at the Arkham games' combat), along with the camera. While playing Asylum with a controller, the camera often would screw me over since it wouldn't turn in time, obscuring enemies that were right behind me. I haven't run that much into that kind of situations in City, so that's a plus. I'm still kinda torn on wether I want to play the rest of the game with a controller or K+M. Controller is more comfortable but K+M gives me a great deal of control over the camera in combat situations, so I dunno.

TLDR I'm enjoying Arkham City more than Asylum and I still haven't decided if I'll play the rest of the game with a controller or K+M.

Oh yes, I also finally installed SFIV to play with friends and we all have discovered how much we suck at this game. Also, in Skullgirls I've found out that Double is kinda good to just mash buttons to.

Hahaha. Well despite finishing it over the course of the free weekend I'm debating picking it up as well (definitely going to replay it). Though while I'm trying to align my moral compass as to if I should pick it up now or wait for a complete edition the only bits of dlc that look worth it are what's included in the season pass (well and the Child's Play dlc as it won't be available apparently after the weekend and it's for a good cause as well).

Unless anyone has any other comments on wether any of SR IV's dlc packs are worth it?

Most of them seem like skins and outfits. A couple have extra guns, but that seems it.

(ended up buying it, the season pass, and childs play, damnit)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I literally just beat Spec Ops: The Line a few hours ago, so amused to see it as the daily deal.

header_292x136.jpg

My impressions? I regret playing it on hard difficulty, it is legitimately hard and I had to do several sections over and over again, but it's not the fun kind of repetition and improving. You get killed so easily from anything, and there's a lot of people shooting you. And having played Binary Domain earlier this week, I think I may have personally enjoyed Binary Domain more than Spec-Ops as a Team-Based Third-Person Shooter. I thought the situations in Binary were more varied, the enemies more interesting, and I liked the characters in Binary Domain more.

BUT

Spec Ops has two good things going for it that will make it the reason I would recommend it.

Firstly, the atmosphere. The game has beautiful art direction, and it simply looks gorgeous. Both in a serene beauty and in a morbid way.

But more than that, its story. I went into Spec Ops: The Line knowing that what the game gets most praised for is its story. And talking about that without spoilers is hard, but I will say that, yes, the story in the game is amazing. I thought it was enjoyable but nothing amazing at first, but I can say by the end of it, it was one of the stories in a game that actually took me aback, and one of the first that's done it in a long time.

And of course, being a horror fan, some of the situations in the game fascinated me (minor spoilers)
the scenes a bit later in the game with the mannequin room, the giant red tower, and the burning body hell were all done fantastically.

So I would recommend it for those who are interested in a team-based third-person shooter with some amazing art direction and with a story to tell that goes completely against what almost every third-person shooter is about. But I highly, HIGHLY recommend playing on Easy or Normal Mode. The game's combat gets repetitive and stupidly difficult later in on hard difficulty.

Acccent

I just started... and finished Brothers A Tale of Two Sons. As has been said numerous times before, it's really good :) it's full of details that reinforce the game's emotional impact, and tonally it's absolutely perfect - I actually can't find a game in recent memory that better evoked a setting and narrative style (in this case, fantasy/wondrous tales and legends)... maybe Papers, Please, though it's obviously very different haha. And the gameplay mechanic isn't gimmicky at all despite what the first impressions might suggest; the game very much manages to instil meaning in it.

Anyway I wouldn't go as far as to declare it last year's best game, as some have, I'm not even sure it'd make my top 5, but it's definitely worth playing - plus it's the perfect length, ie 3 hours at most. Yes no point in arguing 3 hours is the absolute perfect length for a game, shh.

360 has very little RAM and can't load multiple zones and LoS is a console port.

I think it's more a developer thing than anything else. It's easy to point at the platforms of origin but the series this game is most strongly aping came out on both the PS3 and PS2 and pretty much never had a loading screen.

Copons

I literally just beat Spec Ops: The Line a few hours ago, so amused to see it as the daily deal.

I agree with you when you say that it's really difficult talking about it without spoiling, but I found its story WAY underwhelming.
The gameplay too, is repetitive as hell, but its not what that game si praised for, so who cares.

Fact is,
all the choice meant to make you feel bad are forced on you. You can't really do anything different than "enabling" some worst case scenarios. So it all goes in a similar manner than the controversial airport scene of MW (or it was MW2?).
They just give you a full powered thermo-atomic-lazors-nuke and tell you that's the way to go. It's not like you can sneak past everyone or try a diplomatic approach, completing the game with zero kills and not a single casualties. You fire and fire and fire to save your ass, while the game keeps telling you you're a son of a bitch because you're firing. Why? What's the point, then?
And then the ending, with the uber mega plot twist revealing that you've been answering a mute radio all along, in front of your unsuspecting comrades. Wut?
I mean, I usually enjoy a good fucked up unbelievable twist, because in the end, if it entertained me, who cares. But here, we're more toward the lame twist of Heavy Rain than, let's say, the "feel good" ones of Fight Club or The Usual Suspects.

Acccent

Ah there's one thing I didn't really get in Brothers:

What's with the younger brother's dream/hallucination where he sees his mother protecting, or maybe hiding, his dying father, and then the older tries to strangle him? I found it really weird. It's not referenced at any point later in the game unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't hint at any upcoming event... except maybe the older brother's wish to follow the girl, but it seems kinda far-fetched that those two things would be linked...

Anyone can enlighten me or at least give me their interpretation?

Spec Ops: the Line is supposed to be a crtiticism of heavily scripted, linear, cover-centric third person shooters but the problem with this is twofold: this isn't really revealed until the game's ending and the game you play to get to that ending is a spectacularly average heavily scripted, linear, cover-centirc third person shooter. Spec Ops: The Line is what it mocks, thankfully the game is only 5 hours long.

The world art is amazing in that game.

Spoiler:
Maybe if the protagonists apparent madness and his descent into it was telegraphed earlier in the game and the player got to see what he thought he saw versus what his squad mates were actually seeing, it might've been a more interesting campaign.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I agree with you when you say that it's really difficult talking about it without spoiling, but I found its story WAY underwhelming.
The gameplay too, is repetitive as hell, but its not what that game si praised for, so who cares.

Fact is,
all the choice meant to make you feel bad are forced on you. You can't really do anything different than "enabling" some worst case scenarios. So it all goes in a similar manner than the controversial airport scene of MW (or it was MW2?).
They just give you a full powered thermo-atomic-lazors-nuke and tell you that's the way to go. It's not like you can sneak past everyone or try a diplomatic approach, completing the game with zero kills and not a single casualties. You fire and fire and fire to save your ass, while the game keeps telling you you're a son of a bitch because you're firing. Why? What's the point, then?
And then the ending, with the uber mega plot twist revealing that you've been answering a mute radio all along, in front of your unsuspecting comrades. Wut?
I mean, I usually enjoy a good fucked up unbelievable twist, because in the end, if it entertained me, who cares. But here, we're more toward the lame twist of Heavy Rain than, let's say, the "feel good" ones of Fight Club or The Usual Suspects.

Serious spoiler talk for Spec Ops, as warning.

I can understand that sort of take on it. I took it in a different way which may be why I enjoyed it more. In my eyes, the game was more meta-commentary on games of its type, which have been overpopulated in the last console generation. You're not really given any real choice, and you're doing what you're doing because your told to do it. To continue, you need to do it, and you do it even if its plenty questionable, but you partially do it because you're never in any real harms way by doing it, and if you didn't want to do it, you could always quit the game. The game makes reference to the fact that this is all a game in a few subtle and not-so-subtle ways (one of the least subtle being the main character recalling that we, the player, have already done the helicopter section that was the prelude at the beginning of the game the second time we do it), and the game directly refers to the fact that we're so used to taking on the role of a hero, and treated that we're good simply because we do what we're told to do, even though we're doing nothing more than doing exactly what we're told to do. And if we didn't like it, as they say at the end, we could stop at any time.

If you take the game on the level as meta-commentary on the genre and overused tropes of the genre, ranging from the stereotypical American Hero to gameplay mechanics and formulas, some of the game makes a lot more sense in my eyes.

But we also have the in-game world version of events. In which our hero isn't really a hero, and a soldier really isn't the sort of hero we should strive to be. The whole game the main character is so determined to be the hero he's looked up to, the one that saved him, and the one he goes to rescue. And their orders is to return and not confront it directly, they'll send back-up if there is any real serious threat. But our character wants to be a hero, a hero like his fantasy version of the guy who saved him is, and so to become that hero, he wants to go and save the man that once saved him. And from that point on, he applies all the logic to what's going on, and purposely inserts himself into the situations he's not involved in or wanted in. He takes everyone in the city on as his enemies. But when things come into the situation that defile what he wants the situation to be, he creates something to fit it into his version of why he's the hero and everyone else is the villain. Ultimately the villain version of his hero he manifests for himself is created when there is too much pointing to the fact that his hero wasn't the saint he cracked him up to be, and its then when he is directly encountered with this his hero then becomes the enemy.

I don't think the game is about choice, but more about opposing and oppressing things. And about a man somewhat dealing with what he's done.

Actually, after writing the above I decided to look it up, and while they said the game was made to be interrupted however you like, the developers somewhat took the game as William being in a purgatory and make mention of lots of small visual elements done on purpose, like how in areas with frightening imagery there are usually faces with their eyes scribbled out to show that they aren't looking at what is before them, or how at the very beginning of the game there's a billboard where you can see Konrad's face, but if you pass it and then head back to look at it, it'll be someone elses face, and a lot of details like that. They also mention that whenever the screen fades to black, it is a 'real' transition, and whenever the screen fades to white, it's a hallucination. And mention that when the epilogue happens, it fades to white, as they wanted to make it clear that the main character never really ever goes home. Interesting

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I enjoyed Specs Ops: The Line on Easy because I appreciated on a graphic level the dust and dirt particles and how it was used quite smartly in an artistic sense of game design. I do want more of that.

As a former military officer, the story itself wasn't really for me though I'm glad for the effort and discussion it caused amongst many.

Game play wise, obviously it was just more of the basic shooting of last gen that I have long since stopped caring about. It was competent so I got through it, but I would never replay it.

Our focus is on the single-player game

I'm rather excited for this now, exactly the type of game I've been waiting for it if holds up to such ideas and intent.

Sajjaja

Anyone know if Watch Dogs is going to use Mantle?

EDIT: Oh wait nvm. Thought it was being made for Eidos for some reason and not Ubisoft lol. Ubisoft is all about dat Nvidia life right?

Copons

Serious spoiler talk for Spec Ops, as warning.

(snip)

I kinda agree with your points (and I'm finding very interesting the last paragraph with those details that were hard to notice while playing).

But basically, I'm with what he said, both the clear part and the spoiler part:

Spec Ops: the Line is supposed to be a crtiticism of heavily scripted, linear, cover-centric third person shooters but the problem with this is twofold: this isn't really revealed until the game's ending and the game you play to get to that ending is a spectacularly average heavily scripted, linear, cover-centirc third person shooter. Spec Ops: The Line is what it mocks, thankfully the game is only 5 hours long.

The world art is amazing in that game.

Spoiler:
Maybe if the protagonists apparent madness and his descent into it was telegraphed earlier in the game and the player got to see what he thought he saw versus what his squad mates were actually seeing, it might've been a more interesting campaign.

I found myself
1) Annoyed by the fact that the game is precisely and thoroughly the target of its very criticism. I'm no expert (nor a real fan) of TPS, so my opinion could be totally biased, but I found it so average and at the same time so meaninglessly hard and frustrating (let's say "tricky"... I've played harder stuff, but this one felt... imbalanced?) that the narration was always interrupted by needless - and long on my rig, but I'm not blaming the game :D - reloads that chopped the game too much.
I mean, when your whole point is an original kind of narration, you should allow the player to enjoy it in the best way you can. And killing him every two fights because the main guy there is stuck on a wall when there are dozens of granades rolling around him, doesn't really enhance the enjoyment. :D

2) Sort of cheated by the twist: it's way too easy to run the game through the eyes of the main character and then in the last 5 minutes the game says nnnnnnope, it was all a hallucination/figment/whatever (it's not important what it is for my point) of the character you've been moving all the time!! It's something that works better in movies, for the obvious reason that you're "outside" the main character.

Anteater

Blighttown wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Thank God I had the Rusted Iron Ring, though. It made the swamp part much, much easier.

I thought it was one of the best levels in the game, the level design was cool other than the swamp, people just hates it because it runs at like 10fps on consoles, and those dogs or whatever they were down the ladders were assholes.

Erekiddo

Anyone else having issues with Steam today? I'm getting error code 102 on pretty much all pages of the client.

I installed the standalone Enhanced Steam last night, but I refuse to believe that's the culprit.

Spookie

Spoiler:

It is. But unlike other games it doesn't treat you like a fucking idiot so you need to keep an eye out for little things.
Watch his trigger discipline. He goes from finger off to finger constantly on even round civvies.

Chalk me up as someone who really wants Saints Row IV now. God dammit!

The powers are so stupid/fun :(

I was supposed to be more conservative this year. It's still January lol

Wok

Anyone else having issues with Steam today? I'm getting error code 102 on pretty much all pages of the client.

I installed the standalone Enhanced Steam last night, but I refuse to believe that's the culprit.

Yes, Steam is really slow here.

Does anyone know what happens to those playing SRIV right now? Will it eventually kick or let you play until you close it?

most likely it'll functional as normal until the person actually closes the program in which they'll lose access to it unless they buy it*

*this is based off personal experience in past "free to play weekends"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It is. But unlike other games it doesn't treat you like a fucking idiot so you need to keep an eye out for little things.
Watch his trigger discipline. He goes from finger off to finger constantly on even round civvies.
If the game doesn't treat me like an idiot then why does it force the most controversial scene of the game down my throat and remove choice completely to ensure it happens?

Sajjaja

most likely it'll functional as normal until the person actually closes the program in which they'll lose access to it unless they buy it*

Keep game running at all times and alt-tab whenever you aren't playing. Free game :p

Keep game running at all times and alt-tab whenever you aren't playing. Free game :p

Ah brilliant cheers! Guess I'll keep going to get all the activities finished before I close it down.

Played like 2 hours of Metal Gear 420 and now my fingers hurt like hell. I really should play Bayonetta some time

it's still not worse than bdz tenkaichi though, and it was with both sticks
i think that game killed 4 of my ps2 controllers' sticks
son goku kamehameha spam nights with my brothers nvr frgt rip in peace

Ah brilliant cheers! Guess I'll keep going to get all the activities finished before I close it down.

I kept saints row 3 opened way past when they had the free weekend for it and did beat it. I did eventually end up buying it eventually but I wanted to just get to the ending so to speak as I ended up waiting for I think either fall/winter sale (which was months later)

Kiru

it's still not worse than bdz tenkaichi though, and it was with both sticks
i think that game killed 4 of my ps2 controllers' sticks
son goku kamehameha spam nights with my brothers nvr frgt rip in peace
I had those experiences with the Mario Party games.

Obligatory
1259238272093lwke.png

When you enter a modbot contest are you suppose to put the whole line in the reply box or just the letters and numbers?

or just

?
Both work as far as I know.

Coreda

When you enter a modbot contest are you suppose to put the whole line in the reply box or just the letters and numbers?

or just

?

I've read either one is fine for entering a giveaway.

Edit: beaten by Kiru

BTW anyone here use mechanical keyboards? I imagine they would make gaming a whole lot less fatiguing on the fingers. Hoping to pick one up soon.

So I need help on Papers Please again.
Mainly how do I check weight or detain anyone I want to?
Can't figure it out...it should be in the little book right?

EDIT: Well shit got the bad ending already.
The scale is next to the rulebook on your counter. If you call out any discrepancies that point to forged documents or anything else illegal, the detain button will pop up after you've pointed out the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom