• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is. But unlike other games it doesn't treat you like a fucking idiot so you need to keep an eye out for little things.
Watch his trigger discipline. He goes from finger off to finger constantly on even round civvies.

I'm not talking about subtle tells or treating the player like an idiot,
they could have used the madness as a fertile playground to elevate the game being more than just some third rate, boiler plate third person shooter. The end of the game had some spectacular and weird looking moments, Spec Ops might have been more interesting with more of that peppered throughout. Things like billboard imagery changing (IF you go back to look, which most would not in a linear game like that), whether his finger is on the trigger or not when he's around civilains (and that's how many times even?) or even the colour of screen transitions don't do that. I guess they're nice details if you're in on the joke but most aren't on the first playthrough. Which for most is likely their only playthrough.

If the game doesn't treat me like an idiot then why does it force the most controversial scene of the game down my throat and remove choice completely to ensure it happens?

Also this, you are provided the illusion of choice three times, I think, although not at one of the most pivotal moments in the plot.

Sajjaja

I had those experiences with the Mario Party games.

Obligatory
1259238272093lwke.png

i dont get it

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
i dont get it

All I know is that here were some stick games on mario party 1-2 that would not only damage your n64 sticks but also your hand if you really wanted to win. I don't understand the whole preacher guy bust into church thing tho. I guess it's supposed to be a reference to the jesus hole in hands thing and the preacher exposes the guy pretending to be jesus with mario party cart.

Guess I just figured it out...

Spookie

If the game doesn't treat me like an idiot then why does it force the most controversial scene of the game down my throat and remove choice completely to ensure it happens?

It's been brought up and it was bad design, they were hoping people would treat it like that scene in CoD 4. I guess it entirely depends on how you approach the game, as I went in blindly and did exactly that.
They could have put that trench under a tent though.
Though in the same scene you mention
you get flashes of his empty expression on the monitor screen as he wipes out a platoon of troops with a click of a button.

they could have used the madness as a fertile playground to elevate the game being more than just some third rate, boiler plate third person shooter.

You need to listen to the spoiler casts.
The writer was working with what they had and what they were told to achieve by the publisher.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I am back with a proper Avatar. Been working on Dark Souls 2 OT most of the day guys. Missed you all! :3

Anyone can enlighten me or at least give me their interpretation?

(Brothers spoilers)

I thought it was simply the young boy was super guilty about the mother drowning (he was in the boat and failed to save her). So he is imagining that the older brother wants to kill him because of it.

In general I think it is just one of the "we'll just throw in random emotional type stuff because something will hit home" things in the game that isn't really fleshed out.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's the only think I didn't like about it. I thought the game was great, but I tried at first to beat that part without doing what the game wanted me to.
When I was finally forced to do it, I couldn't help thinking that was a missed opportunity to make the player feel truly guilty.

I mean, I didn't want to use the phosphorus. I only did that because the game didn't allow me to kill the enemies with my weapons, as they kept respawning. So I didn't feel guilty for my actions, because they weren't a product of my choices.

And saying "you could have stopped playing the game at any time" is the worst excuse ever. I'm not going to leave the game unfinished if I'm enjoying it and want to complete it, that's not a proper choice in my book.

Dr Dogg

Anor Londo BEATEN.

Congratz dude. Once you've done that boss fight you're ready for anything. First time round I blasted through so much humanity for summons I was ready to cry. Needless to say when I was finally victorious I punched the shit out of the air and was dancing round the house like a madman.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Great Hollow is a bitch to navigate, but the Ash Lake is one mesmerizing looking place.

Dark souls, why do you have such great art design. Durante has given us such a gift.

The DLC is the last remaining area for me. I'll tackle that later this week.

legacyzero

Banned
Congratz dude. Once you've done that boss fight you're ready for anything. First time round I blasted through so much humanity for summons I was ready to cry. Needless to say when I was finally victorious I punched the shit out of the air and was dancing round the house like a madman.

Shockingly, I did it the first try. I had finally decided to try calling somebody in for help. He was pretty formidable.

Copons

And saying "you could have stopped playing the game at any time" is the worst excuse ever. I'm not going to leave the game unfinished if I'm enjoying it and want to complete it, that's not a proper choice in my book.

All in all I think what they mistaken most is exactly the point they were trying to make.
Saying that a player just blindly follows the order the game tell him without caring about the consequences... well... that's something I would expect by someone who never played a game in his life. It's so wrong on so many levels. I mean, what consequences? It's a game!
Of course a game can convey profound and touching stories (Gone Home, just saying the last of that kind I played), but in Spec Ops? Or in any war games they try to point the finger to? They're basically pure entertainment, no brain activity involved at all. When I fire my submachinegun against the neverending terrorists respawning in COD I just don't think I'm killing people and saving other people, I just think woah so cool. And I believe it's totally fine as it is.
And if someone wants to try a different (or anti-war) approach, he's very welcome, but then what's the point in twisting everything shifting the focus to the very twist instead of the controversial choices?

But then again, every time I write something about Spec Ops I think that I come from a country with close to none military tradition, where basically no one gives a shit about our army as long as there are no terrorists actions against some of our soldiers deployed we don't even know or care where.
So maybe, my vision of a war game (of any kind) is just plainly detached from reality, and I simply can't understand what a player from a more army-involved country would get from a game like this one.

Parsnip

Finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on hard.

Still couldn't get good enough in the last boss
zandatsu parts, discovered that I actually have free movement, so I just ran under the rubble he throws. I spent like 3 hours yesterday fucking up the slices over and over again, one more hour today, and you can just run under them... I don't even.

After that it was fairly straight forward. I didn't have any health packs left though, so it did get rough. Consistently managed to get him down to 50% so it would have been just a matter of time at that point. Figured I should look at the customization if I had any moves or something there that could help me out. Bought the white armor instead. Rolled over him. Kind of cheesy way to finish it off, but I kind of don't care.

Overall, the game's pretty alright. I think it was a mistake to start my first game on hard though. Way too much frustration for me. Music was great, but Rules of Nature isn't the best song. :p To me Rules of Nature is all about that moment in the prologue chapter. If you somehow don't know what kind of game Revengeance is, that moment when the vocals kick in tells you everything you need to know.

A Stranger I Remain <3

Dr Dogg

Shockingly, I did it the first try. I had finally decided to try calling somebody in for help. He was pretty formidable.

And to think you were scared. Dark Souls should be eating out the palm of your hand now.

I have that part coming up soon, I think.

I'm currently getting my ass kicked in Sen's Fortress.

Although not my favourite area, I did really get the feel of old school dungeon crawlers whilst going through Sen's.

I really must knock out Dark Souls on the pc. Problem of owning the bloody game on every system it was released twice over.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey guys,

I just uploaded a new version of Enhanced Steam for Firefox to Mozilla.

The version is 5.7, and it adds a lot more features (and a few more options) from the Chrome version. With any luck, Mozilla will approve this update quickly. When they do, I'll make a formal announcement at that time.

Dr Dogg

and then some even go on about how the DS4 has one in the middle. Absolutely ridiculous lmao

So far some of the complaints I've seen lobbied at the Steam Controller are getting a little absurd. I get the feeling that some people don't want an alternative or a innovative controller that will allow a whole host of games to be playable with out a keyboard and/or a mouse but just a Valve made controller that's like a regular twin stick one we've seen for years.

Calls for sticks and dpads are making my mind boggle why people would be clamouring for something that is already available.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Whoever it was you were having a jibe at is hardly the only person that posts in this thread to find needless Saoirse gis/pics annoying. The only thing worse is reply and bandwagon Saoirsie gifs/pics.
This seems like your type of movie.
large_nSYf9926SJlIZ7DIkiKL8NxaWZ4.jpg

So far some of the complaints I've seen lobbied at the Steam Controller are getting a little absurd. I get the feeling that some people don't want an alternative or a innovative controller that will allow a whole host of games to be playable with out a keyboard and/or a mouse but just a Valve made controller that's like a regular twin stick one we've seen for years.

Calls for sticks and dpads are making my mind boggle why people would be clamouring for something that is already available.

yeah even among devs someone tweeted "is it too late to put in a dpad?". Like hello, were you paying attention at SDD?

and btw just to clear the previous post up, the DS4 doesn't have a touchscreen, but a touchpad, something of which the SC already has two! A saw posters even on gaf confusing these two :lol

Is there another way to download Steam besides the official website?

Cant download from there now, while I could do it yesterday, but I reinstalled W8.1.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Whoever it was you were having a jibe at is hardly the only person that posts in this thread to find needless Saoirse gis/pics annoying. The only thing worse is reply and bandwagon Saoirsie gifs/pics.
Personally, I think Jar Jar Rising's pics are the least offensive of the bunch of crap that has been posted here recently. At least they are SFW, while I can't say the same for the rest of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom