• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
HK$70 or USD$70?

Atraveller bought me a copy for USD$60. The game only supports Traditional Chinese, though, if you care about the whole "play" thing. ;)

I just want to make it clear that my one line reference to the Saoirse Ronan Appreciation OT to MRORANGE wasn't only directed at you or intended to be passive aggressive. First and foremost it was a response to trading being called out, and a statement that the occasional person trying to sell a couple keys many people in this thread had expressed interest in (Prey is the game in question here) is not any bigger a deal or disturbance than one of the half dozen or so people with a Saoirse Ronan avatar occasionally shopping her face onto a pic of someone jiggling their boobs or the reaction gifs etc. I think most people realize at this point several others here besides you post Saoirse Ronan related images, and perhaps even more frequently (I don't read every page).

I'm acutely aware that I'm not the only person who posts such images (it'd be weird if I weren't), but I tend to be an indirect reference point, because I do post them most often (which, again, isn't often). I do think that in the past the frequency, chiefly if not only perpetrated by me, was an issue, but these days it's very much an occasional thing and discourse tangents are as rare as they are brief. Again, I think it's a visibility thing rather than an actual problem. The only other person who posts Saoirse images with even a remote level of regularity is Classy, who has less than 80 posts.

I agree that the archers aren't that bad, but you can just run past the guys that you said are the "actual challenge," so I don't see how they could possibly be more difficult. Sometimes the archers
keep shooting when you've reached the ledge, and fall deaths just feel more inherently unfair
Well, I meant relatively speaking of course with the second spoiler. I should've been more clear. In my experience they can still hit you with a slow character, unlike the archers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So CoH2 Collectors Edition got another price glitch. That means another chance to get it for a low price. Should I get it?

A difficult choice >.<

The Russian sub isn't region-locked and is only ~USD$12.12 (so about 7 keys or 6 if you're lucky).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Gone Home last night. I had to check a guide twice:
the first time I had forgotten to check a room (shame on me!), and the second time the trapdoor failed to open (this wad the game's fault!), the latter of which I fixed by saving and reloading the game.[/spoiled]

I liked the writing and the topics it touched, especially because that was totally not what I was expecting at first. The voice acting was really good in my opinion, and added a lot to the game. Nice little experience, and I should replay it with the developers' commentary.

milena87

I don't understand why so many people have a hard time with the archers. Even with a heavy equipment load literally all you need to do is
run in a straight line on that pathway, and they usually push themselves off when you block their first attack within melee range
. Getting past the parts with the
lightning spear-wielding skinny gargoyles or demons
is the actual challenge, not the archers.

I don't know, the 2 skinny gargoyles before the archers are quite easy if you have something to hit them from afar and the others gargoyles can usually be fought 1vs1. The 2 archers however can be a real pain. I never even once saw them fall to their death after I blocked one of their attacks. I always had to kill them :/

mannerbot

I don't know, the 2 skinny gargoyles before the archers are quite easy if you have something to hit them from afar and the others gargoyles can usually be fought 1vs1. The 2 archers however can be a real pain. I never even once saw them fall to their death after I blocked one of their attacks. I always had to kill them :/

Just inch forward so that you're closer to the edge after they bounce off of your shield.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't understand why so many people have a hard time with the archers. Even with a heavy equipment load literally all you need to do is
run in a straight line on that pathway, and they usually push themselves off when you block their first attack within melee range
. Getting past the parts with the
lightning spear-wielding skinny gargoyles or demons
is the actual challenge, not the archers.

well I used to think the same thing but on ng+ for some reason it took me like 6 tries to get past them

so yea I dunno

Deques

The upgrade is universal and while the DDE itself has an RU-specific sub, it isn't locked.

Cheapest I found is $14. So I wouldn't bother with keys and paypal. I went to Amazon and pressed the buy button. Logged in, and didn't confirm the purchase. I won't play it now anyway :p

Acccent

hi all

(Brothers spoilers)

I thought it was simply the young boy was super guilty about the mother drowning (he was in the boat and failed to save her). So he is imagining that the older brother wants to kill him because of it.

In general I think it is just one of the "we'll just throw in random emotional type stuff because something will hit home" things in the game that isn't really fleshed out.

Ah, that makes sense. But yeah it's kinda weird to have that scene completely disconnected from other events happening within the game (as opposed to 'prior' to the game).

zkylon

zkylewd
Finished Gone Home last night. I had to check a guide twice:
the first time I had forgotten to check a room (shame on me!), and the second time the trapdoor failed to open (this wad the game's fault!), the latter of which I fixed by saving and reloading the game.

I liked the writing and the topics it touched, especially because that was totally not what I was expecting at first. The voice acting was really good in my opinion, and added a lot to the game. Nice little experience, and I should replay it with the developers' commentary.

dev commentary is pretty good, go for it

Arthea

They are.

I still vastly prefer descriptions of missions in words I can understand, for example: go kill general Wang and his cavalry, but don't touch any others", instead of going and failing without having a clue why.

pretty middling to negative impressions by devs on the SC so far

not gonna be long until Valve make it dual stick at this rate :|

What Valve has to do with StarCraft?
I just had to (><)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So CoH2 Collectors Edition got another price glitch. That means another chance to get it for a low price. Should I get it?

The game's like 100% thumbs down in the reviews. Combined with all the criticism I've seen I imagine it's complete shit, but can't vouch for it.

When I initially got the CE I thought, "Man, this comes with a lot of DLC." Then they shat out a bazillion more DLC. The way the DLC is listed on Steam is really strange as well. Can't find them all on the product page like usual, but they have their own category pages:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Company_of_Heroes_2_Commanders/

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Company_of_Heroes_2_Vehicle_Camouflages/

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Company_of_Heroes_2_Faceplates

Deques

The game's like 100% thumbs down in the reviews. Combined with all the criticism I've seen I imagine it's complete shit, but can't vouch for it.

When I initially got the CE I thought, "Man, this comes with a lot of DLC." Then they shat out a bazillion more DLC. The way the DLC is listed on Steam is really strange as well. Can't find them all on the product page like usual, but they have their own category pages:

That is too many DLCs to make me interested in a game >.<

Relax.MX

I have a drop today on CS:GO is a P250 - Bone Mask.

I wanted to see how much it costs, but it says no records for this item, as I will be able to sell?

EFn7EVe.jpg

Gvaz

Banned

What, the fuck?

Firstly, none of that is shown on the actual product page or links to it. Unless you get the COLLECTORS EDITION, none of the dlc is even fucking listed.

Additionally, TWO BUCKS A SKIN? There are FOURTY SIX of these $2 skins, and 30% of them only apply to Small Medium Large sizes. Each. There are two packs for a 3 CENT savings...but it only has 3 skins. there are two packs. There are four faceplate dlcs at TWO DOLLARS each. If you look at it, it shows literally the only thing is changed is the border of your game. That's it. It's a texture swap. For two dollars. I don't know about you but texture swaps that do nothing but a little big of pizzaz are worth between $0 and 50 cents tops. Now if there are mesh changes, i guess more money. But there isn't.

There's also 19 commanders at 3-4 a pop. So on top of the game being $40 (and that's after reviews and release), they're asking for at least $118 bucks minimum (not including some missions or whatever) for the game. At the very minimum, $53 of these are just texture swaps that should really honestly be part of the cost of the main game.

OMG, so I finally grew a pair and decided to take on the DLC areas in Dark Souls before I challenged Gwyn. I was probably ready to take him on 20-30 hours ago (when my playtime was at ~40 hours), but I've been trying to find everything, join every covenant, upgrade items, and had some fun invading people here and there.

Seemed kind of neat at first. Very...foresty. Reached
Artorias
, who took a few tries, but wasn't that bad. O&S were worse. He had some annoying attacks that would 1-hit me, but thankfully, his patterns were easy to read.

Then I slowly start to descend into the madness and shit gets crazier and crazier. The Oolacile Township slowly got darker and creepier, and the enemies started looking crazier. Following the ectoplasmic trail deeper and deeper underground, there's a weird-ass prison followed by huge caverns. With weird soul-like entities hovering about. I accidentally trigged a false floor, falling down, and then I followed a trail of white ghost cats and...voila, a shortcut! And holy hell, does the elevator take you far down. Then I ran into some...thing named Manus of the Abyss, and noped out of there via bone. Didn't want to risk my 100k souls, which I can't find a use for yet.

I have a feeling that this fight will be tough. I'm really curious what follows that, though, or if that's the end of it all. I feel like I'm halfway there, though.

I have a feeling that this fight will be tough. I'm really curious what follows that, though, or if that's the end of it all. I feel like I'm halfway there, though.

It can be tough (but as always with Dark Souls there are easy, medium, hard and trivial methods). If you want to know where you are up to, there is
an optional boss you may or may not have taken on but basically you are at the end of the DLC

So, as someone who's been monitoring this livingroom initiative pretty closely it bothers me to no end when I see people (which includes the 300 testers and devs) go into it completely uninformed. They could spare themselves so many trouble by just reading about it a bit. There's press-coverage out there, tester impression out in the wild, Valve put out materials, they had one panel devoted to the controller at SDD and still... If I were to be selected for a beta, the least thing I could is read-up on it before trying it out. Hell, I wouldn't even sign up for it before informing myself. Just like how I'd expect reviewers to inform themselves before they review a game. Some people have absolutely no clue about this initiative whatsoever, yet their attitude is "oh cool, free hardware! let's try it out, hey this doesn't work, I don't know what this is for, it's so buggy" etc.

On the other hand I question Valve's decision no to implement the controller natively for one of their games at this point. They're talking about the true potential for their controller, yet are letting people getting soured on legacy mode. Sadly, a lot of people are impatient and might as well give up on it completely before experiencing its full capacity.

/rant

It can be tough (but as always with Dark Souls there are easy, medium, hard and trivial methods). If you want to know where you are up to, there is
an optional boss you may or may not have taken on but basically you are at the end of the DLC
Nooo. :(
I remember seeing a dragon. And then running away in fear. Guess I should track him/her down. Which reminds me, I found a Crest Key and...a locked door behind which I could hear weird sounds. Guess I should check that out.

Divius

Nooo. :(
I remember seeing a dragon. And then running away in fear. Guess I should track him/her down. Which reminds me, I found a Crest Key and...a locked door behind which I could hear weird sounds. Guess I should check that out.
You should indeed do those things.

Caerith

Well, as for why it's 100% thumbs down:
There's a HUGE contingent of very angry Russians who hate the game's portrayal of Russia as being, well, uncaring and brutal. It's apparently historically accurate... unless you live in Russia, where the history books are, uh, rather different. They basically destroyed its reputation on Metacritic.
There was a GAF thread about it, linking to a video where in the first 30 seconds the narrator calls the developers Nazis. I didn't watch the next 30 minutes for some reason.

Maybe the game negatively portrays the man who defended earth from Martians?

Dr Dogg

That blog post from Tommy Refenes that you linked me was a real good impression on the Controller and the potential it has not just for the 2 games he described but a whole other host of ways it can innovate.

I don't know, maybe it's that a beta means some these to a lot of people now. Even more so that there are a hell of a lot more open betas these days. Seeing as there have been an influx of stress testing betas or some games and software collecting anonymous data and not wanting any participation or feedback that some people are expecting a more finished product.

While giving me the chance to test a Steam Machine would be a bit silly I would have loved the chance to help shape the direction of the final controller. Christ my tastes are eclectic enough to see how it would or could work with a wide range of titles and if was lacking in some area at least providing constructive feedback is pretty much part and parcel of the reason why Valve is doing this.

The world we live in eh?

This make me sad now that by the time I had heard of the madness that is Stalin vs The Martians it was already yanked from Steam. Dodged a bullet, yes but it looks like one of the "so bad it's good" kind of games :(.

Gvaz

Banned
Well, as for why it's 100% thumbs down:

There was a GAF thread about it, linking to a video where in the first 30 seconds the narrator calls the developers Nazis. I didn't watch the next 30 minutes for some reason.

Im watching the youtube now and I can barely understand his accent.

kulapik

I have a drop today on CS:GO is a P250 - Bone Mask.

I wanted to see how much it costs, but it says no records for this item, as I will be able to sell?

EFn7EVe.jpg

You will have to check the status of the weapon: Brand new, barely used, something like that and search on the market.

dxhc99

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-58877FBCF3D0A73C - Taken by angular graphics. 3 entrants total.
Hoard -- MB-1BE3A7A71778C011 - Taken by _hekk05. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Millennium: A New Hope -- MB-C9939D6483114831 - Taken by webrunner. 1 entrants total.

t1390215882z1.png

_hekk05

Banned
Yay I won hoard. 50/50 chance. Not bad. This must be the period when both USgaf and EUgaf are asleep

Though for some reason there's no code

milena87

I see that there are still no interesting "deals" over at Amazon.com. I'm still hoping for something nice to use my remaining 8 coupons on :/

Yay I won hoard. 50/50 chance. Not bad. This must be the period when both USgaf and EUgaf are asleep

Though for some reason there's no code

it's noon here in GMT +1, so EU gaf is wide awake. Or should be anyway.

Hoard is quite fun, but I imagine it has to be played with actual people and not the AIs.
Finally got around to actually playing Reus as well. Yes, smite them greedy bastard that I created, hahahahaha! wait, does that make me morally accountable? NAH.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I see that there are still no interesting "deals" over at Amazon.com. I'm still hoping for something nice to use my remaining 8 coupons on :/
I'm still thinking about getting The Secret World. Looks cool, but eh. MMO's...
Besides, the fact that it doesn't come with a steamkey kinda kills it. :p

Besides Brothers, not a lot of interesting stuff, no. Too bad.

milena87

I'm still thinking about getting The Secret World. Looks cool, but eh. MMO's...
Besides, the fact that it doesn't come with a steamkey kinda kills it. :p

Besides Brothers, not a lot of interesting stuff, no. Too bad.

Yeah, maybe if The Secret World had a steam key I would have bought it, as it looks kinda interesting.

And yep, the only interesting deals were Brothers and the other games from 505 Games (I bought How to Survive and Marlow Briggs).
I guess the best offer so far has been the Freija's bundle, but I already had everything apart from the two Supreme Commander games, so :/

Hasney

TSW is good, even without official Steam key, lol. Kinda pointless anyway for MMO's.

Back when I was on my 2mbit connection, I really wish that all F2P MMOs used Steams patching system. I gave up on so many games when I booted them up after some inactivity and the launcher basically went "You've not played in a while?! HERE, HAVE SEVERAL GBs OF UPDATES BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN PLAY!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom