• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

FUCKING GFWL DELETED MY DARK SOULS SAVE!!!!!!!!

Just started the game up and the save is gone. Only "New Game" is showing up. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here's a question for you. Dynasty Warriors 7 I guess never had an official Steam release or I assume a limited one due to language. Are there any other games that were only available by purchasing g and redeeming a retail copy

I'm sure you've scoured the database by now for any :p.

I don't keep a list, but Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight prototypes, Disciples Reincarnation, East India Company: Gold Edition, Pirates of the Black Cove: Gold Edition, and The Rockin' Dead come to mind, not to mention various region-specific apps (Darksiders RU, Duke Nukem Forever RU, Take on Helicopters RU and so on). Unfortunately, SteamDB's search functions aren't very robust -- there's no way to, say, filter out non-Steam 2010/Valve CD key subs.

yuraya

Just the Half Life 3 announcement and price error.

tBhWI7r.gif

Just started the game up and the save is gone. Only "New Game" is showing up. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the ultimate game mode, even more trolling and frustration

wilflare

I don't keep a list, but Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight prototypes, Disciples Reincarnation, East India Company: Gold Edition, Pirates of the Black Cove: Gold Edition, and The Rockin' Dead come to mind, not to mention various region-specific apps (Darksiders RU, Duke Nukem Forever RU, Take on Helicopters RU and so on).

I bought that DF bundle but have yet to redeem the keys - What is it exactly lol

Dr Dogg

Disciples Reincarnation
Not available in Steam, but available in Gamersgate

I don't keep a list, but Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight prototypes, Disciples Reincarnation, East India Company: Gold Edition, Pirates of the Black Cove: Gold Edition, and The Rockin' Dead come to mind, not to mention various region-specific apps (Darksiders RU, Duke Nukem Forever RU, Take on Helicopters RU and so on).

Cheers chaps. Yeah I remember you saying about the retail specific apps for some Asian/Japanese releases. When the day eventually comes and I succumb to Steam collecting in a hardcore fashion I can see it costing a small fortune chasing the white whales of retail copies.

Yeah the work space is pretty tight. Key is to only keep out what you need and make sure everything is accessible. I started every day by organizing the desk and moving anything that wasn't useful to a corner.

When you get a lot of forms, look over each one individually and then put it back on the counter. Things get cluttered up pretty easily when there are 8 possible forms.

Those damn strip club flyers always get in my way. I've since learnt that the bottom right of your desk is the best place to put your junk as you can virtually get it off the screen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I bought that DF bundle but have yet to redeem the keys - What is it exactly lol

They're basically proof-of-concept demos.

Cheers chaps. Yeah I remember you saying about the retail specific apps for some Asian/Japanese releases. When the day eventually comes and I succumb to Steam collecting in a hardcore fashion I can see it costing a small fortune chasing the white whales of retail copies.

Yeah, the Korean Football Managers, FM 2013 Asia, and the Japanese retail copies are going to all set me back at least $30+.

Well SteamGAF sure is tetchy recently :/.

Are we all having our period at the same time or something?

When I feel especially grumpy I tend not to post as I know I'll probably say something I would regret later.

YMMV however.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of stuff not on or missing from Steam, there's a fair few Mac ports that are available in the App Store but not listed as either SteamPlay or on their own. I'm sure there's something to do with publishing rights and what have you but Company of Heroes Complete on got a Mac release last year and I'm surprised it never transitioned to Steam. There's probably loads on Linux indie titles as well.

Yeah, the Korean Football Managers, FM 2013 Asia, and the Japanese retail copies are going to all set me back at least $30+.

Hahaha you make it sound smaller than what it might become.

Well SteamGAF sure is tetchy recently :/.

Are we all having our period at the same time or something?

When I feel especially grumpy I tend not to post as I know I'll probably say something I would regret later.

YMMV however.

A gaggle of GAFfers all in sync sounds like a nightmare. Actually what would be the collective noun for GAFfers?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I know the pain of losing a save to GFWL, but you weren't using Durante's mod? It makes backups for you.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

DSFix makes 5 minute backups if you tell it to. Check that.
GameSaveManager saves both your saves AND your profile. That's important, you need both. Doublecheck that.

Games for Windows creates unique ids every time you create OR retrieve a profile. So, if you reinstalled your system, for instance, and retrieved your GFW profile, all your salves would be useless. You need to keep a backup of both your profile files and save data. GameSaveManager does both.

GameSaveManager saves both your saves AND your profile. That's important, you need both. Doublecheck that.

Games for Windows creates unique ids every time you create OR retrieve a profile. So, if you reinstalled your system, for instance, and retrieved your GFW profile, all your salves would be useless. You need to keep a backup of both your profile files and save data. GameSaveManager does both.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm my profile? I have to check my save games, STAT!

milena87

Yep, it was nice learning this with GTA IV after I formatted my hard drive backing only my saves :/

I still vastly prefer descriptions of missions in words I can understand, for example: go kill general Wang and his cavalry, but don't touch any others", instead of going and failing without having a clue why.
If you are familiar with Romance of the three kingdoms, or the history, or simply the previous games, you can play it just fine.

Copons

Holy fucking shit really?

I did both DSfix and manual backup of everything inside my Documents/DarkSouls folder (or whatever it was).
The stuff related to my GFWL profile are stored somewhere else or I should be fine?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yep, it was nice learning this with GTA IV after I formatted my hard drive backing only my saves :/

You could have saved your saves (I Think. I'm not 100% sure on the GTA IV save files, as they were encrypted, if I remember correctly).

You an always get the save files and hexedit the new profile ID in them.

Holy fucking shit really?

I did both DSfix and manual backup of everything inside my Documents/DarkSouls folder (or whatever it was).
The stuff related to my GFWL profile are stored somewhere else or I should be fine?

Yeah, that's not enough. That's just the DarkSouls save files. IF they have the GFWL Profile assigned to them (not all games do) and if you reinstall and retrieve a new profile from Microsoft's servers, that profile will have a new unique identifier, and the save files (again, if assigned to that profile, not all GFWL save files are profile specific) won't be available.

Everybody should use Game Save Manager to keep a backup of their saves. However, here are the GFWL Profile files that should be saved:

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\XLive

I don't keep a list, but Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight prototypes, Disciples Reincarnation, East India Company: Gold Edition, Pirates of the Black Cove: Gold Edition, and The Rockin' Dead come to mind, not to mention various region-specific apps (Darksiders RU, Duke Nukem Forever RU, Take on Helicopters RU and so on). Unfortunately, SteamDB's search functions aren't very robust -- there's no way to, say, filter out non-Steam 2010/Valve CD key subs.

Wait a second, you can redeem the DF prototypes on Steam? Was this available even at launch? I thought they were just standalone executables for some reason.

Copons

You could have saved your saves (I Think. I'm not 100% sure on the GTA IV save files, as they were encrypted, if I remember correctly).

You an always get the save files and hexedit the new profile ID in them.

Yeah, that's not enough. That's just the DarkSouls save files. IF they have the GFWL Profile assigned to them (not all games do) and if you reinstall and retrieve a new profile from Microsoft's servers, that profile will have a new unique identifier, and the save files (again, if assigned to that profile, not all GFWL save files are profile specific) won't be available.

Everybody should use Game Save Manager to keep a backup of their saves. However, here are the GFWL Profile files that should be saved:

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\XLive

Mh mh.
As soon as I get home tonight I'm gonna install GSM hoping that everything will work right.
I mean, I just uninstalled DS, but I never touched GFWL, so everything should still be where it's supposed to be.

My god, anyway, if dear good old fantomena didn't screw up his saves leading to all this GFWL talk, I'd have freshly installed it on my incoming new PC and then BAM! starting DS again from scratch.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I feel like I did a ridiculous amount of research on Dark Souls stats and leveling compared to what should be expected, and I still feel like I screwed up and wish I could get half of my levels back. This game is such an ass.

Still great. But a monumental ass.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Mh mh.
As soon as I get home tonight I'm gonna install GSM hoping that everything will work right.
I mean, I just uninstalled DS, but I never touched GFWL, so everything should still be where it's supposed to be.

My god, anyway, if dear good old fantomena didn't screw up his saves leading to all this GFWL talk, I'd have freshly installed it on my incoming new PC and then BAM! starting DS again from scratch.

You're fine. Uninstalling a game on Windows never removes the saves. If you run GSM, it'll most likely detect both the GFWL Profile and the Dark Souls saves. Just make sure that GSM actually backups the GFWL profile (it'll even tell you it has to, but I don't remember if it comes checked by default).

yuraya

I feel like I did a ridiculous amount of research on Dark Souls stats and leveling compared to what should be expected, and I still feel like I screwed up and wish I could get half of my levels back. This game is such an ass.

A respec system would have been nice in dark souls. I myself also made quite a bit of errors with my build when I first began the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

A respec system would have been nice in dark souls. I myself made quite a bit of errors with my build when I first began the game.

Not really. You can always grind your ass on stupid enemies and build up on souls. There's nothing preventing you from having 40 on all stats at any given time, so.... just find some grinding spots appropriate to your level and waste a couple hours on it. You'll be good to go.

Stat's don't really matter in Dark Souls. It's all about weapon choice and weapon upgrades.

Copons

You're fine. Uninstalling a game on Windows never removes the saves. If you run GSM, it'll most likely detect both the GFWL Profile and the Dark Souls saves. Just make sure that GSM actually backups the GFWL profile (it'll even tell you it has to, but I don't remember if it comes checked by default).

Just to be 100% sure: on the new PC I'll have to restore the GSM backup BEFORE installing GFWL and DS in order to make GFWL think that there is already a profile to use instead of creating a new one screwing up everything?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just to be 100% sure: on the new PC I'll have to restore the GSM backup BEFORE installing GFWL and DS in order to make GFWL think that there is already a profile to use instead of creating a new one screwing up everything?

Well. you can install GFWL afaik. What you can't do is install dark souls, install GFWL, retrieve your profile on GFWL and then restore the backups. It would work, but you would have two copies of your profile, with different unique identifiers (and I think the older one wouldn't be able to go online).

To be on the safe side, yes, the first time you boot up your new computer, just install GSM and restore all your save files.

Honestly I think that's an element that could use streamlining in the Souls games. Instead of wiki crawling to feel like you need to plan out a character path from the start with stat allocation it would be better I think to select from classes and having stats auto-allocate per level based on that. Probably wouldn't be a popular idea.

Copons

Well. you can install GFWL afaik. What you can't do is install dark souls, install GFWL, retrieve your profile on GFWL and then restore the backups. It would work, but you would have two copies of your profile, with different unique identifiers (and I think the older one wouldn't be able to go online).

To be on the safe side, yes, the first time you boot up your new computer, just install GSM and restore all your save files.

Perfect. You're a savior!

It would have been a bit harsh having to start over DS. Harsher than the huge re-entry wall I'll find, as after all these months I totally forgot how to play and also, I've broken L2 playing Guacamelee so I'm bound to play with some sort of parry randomizer. :D

RealMeat

Banned
Honestly I think that's an element that could use streamlining in the Souls games. Instead of wiki crawling to feel like you need to plan out a character path from the start with stat allocation it would be better I think to select from classes and having stats auto-allocate per level based on that. Probably wouldn't be a popular idea.

I rather have a respec, so I could experiment with different builds without needing to grind. I suppose that's too soft core for some people.

wilflare

They're basically proof-of-concept demos.

do they still show up in your steam library?
one of them became Stacking right?

Turfster

do they still show up in your steam library?
one of them became Stacking right?

Nope, but the first Costume Quest prototype is included, as is the prototype for DF-9, their Early Access title.
  • Autonomous
  • Black Lake
  • BRAZEN
  • Costume Quest prototype
  • Hack n Slash
  • Happy Song prototype
  • Spacebase DF-9 (not the full one)
  • The White Birch

yuraya

Not really. You can always grind your ass on stupid enemies and build up on souls. There's nothing preventing you from having 40 on all stats at any given time, so.... just find some grinding spots appropriate to your level and waste a couple hours on it. You'll be good to go.

Stat's don't really matter in Dark Souls. It's all about weapon choice and weapon upgrades.

Thats true but trying out a new build in the game basically means starting a new character. Otherwise you have to grind for a very long time. It would have been nice if they let you spend maybe like 400k or 500k souls to fully respec your character. or something along those lines without players exploiting ofc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom