• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Back when I was on my 2mbit connection, I really wish that all F2P MMOs used Steams patching system. I gave up on so many games when I booted them up after some inactivity and the launcher basically went "You've not played in a while?! HERE, HAVE SEVERAL GBs OF UPDATES BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN PLAY!!"

There are some games that update almost daily, that are not MMOs, not several GBs, but still, Skullgirs for example or Ultratron lately, not sure what they are constantly updating in the last one.

Yay I won hoard. 50/50 chance. Not bad. This must be the period when both USgaf and EUgaf are asleep

I wish I could sleep at work, and play games all night!
dreams, dreams.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I have a drop today on CS:GO is a P250 - Bone Mask.

I wanted to see how much it costs, but it says no records for this item, as I will be able to sell?

http://i.imgur.com/EFn7EVe.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Sometimes using the spanish version of the client some items will show no transaction history, I take this is some kind of bug in the market search/translation system.

There are some games that update almost daily, that are not MMOs, not several GBs, but still, Skullgirs for example or Ultratron lately, not sure what they are constantly updating in the last one.

I wish I could sleep at work, and play games all night!
dreams, dreams.

Puppy games are always updating their games, Revenge of the Titans must be updated at least twice weekly. Have to admire their post-release support.

Anteater

I hate tweaking crysis, stupid thing won't stay at 60fps, I'm not even sure why staring at this tree is dropping my framerate by 10fps, it's not even the best looking tree I've ever seen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate tweaking crysis, stupid thing won't stay at 60fps, I'm not even sure why staring at this tree is dropping my framerate by 10fps

It's poorly optimised. I distinctly recall there being vehement arguments over whether or not this was the case, back in 2007, but as hindsight increased it became quite obvious. Warhead fares better but even so it's not exactly a shining example.

Dr Dogg

I hate tweaking crysis, stupid thing won't stay at 60fps, I'm not even sure why staring at this tree is dropping my framerate by 10fps, it's not even the best looking tree I've ever seen.

Because all the mighty physics contained within that trunk!

When Crysis came out it battered my Q6600, GTX8800 combo into the ground and there was very little more I could do short of adding a second card. Horribly optimised despite people at the time saying it will scale well with future hardware. Yeah no shit Sherlock.

I turned things down settled for 40fps and it still went down to 20 in places. Still that was further along in the game where you enter somewhere that makes everyone's frame rate plummet.

Might fire it up and see what my new rig can do these days.

Edit: Dammit Jase!

Well, can you get blue coins on Gamefly?
exactly, you can't
I'm sure Skullgirs were little cheaper, I just can't remember where and when

I just checked and it seems that Gamersgate gives you $2.62 worth of blue coins for purchasing this. If one is a regular customer at the site, this is indeed the better deal.

Arthea

ITAD says $7.49 is, previously, the lowest it's gone.

ITAD tracks all sites? Then I'm wrong.

Also noticed today that I lost a lot of blue coins again, I forget how long I have them or there is nothing to spend them on... my luck, as always.

JaseC

ITAD tracks all sites? Then I'm wrong.

Most of the notable ones, at least. Among them is Origin but its crawler seems to be little unreliable in this regard as it didn't pick up on the DMC sale several weeks back.

Edit: And remember that Blue Coins expire after about 14 months.

Anteater

It's poorly optimised. I distinctly recall there being vehement arguments over whether or not this was the case, back in 2007, but as hindsight increased it became quite obvious. Warhead fares better but even so it's not exactly a shining example.

Because all the mighty physics contained within that trunk!

When Crysis came out it battered my Q6600, GTX8800 combo into the ground and there was very little more I could do short of adding a second card. Horribly optimised despite people at the time saying it will scale well with future hardware. Yeah no shit Sherlock.

I turned things down settled for 40fps and it still went down to 20 in places. Still that was further along in the game where you enter somewhere that makes everyone's frame rate plummet.

Might fire it up and see what my new rig can do these days.

Edit: Dammit Jase!

yeah it doesn't even look that good without modding either :<

Arthea

Most of the notable ones, at least. Among them is Origin but its crawler seems to be little unreliable in this regard as it didn't pick up on the DMC sale several weeks back.

Edit: And remember that Blue Coins expire after about 14 months.

It's 12 months, actually

JaseC

It's 12 months, actually

I know the FAQ states as much but I crunched the numbers after I became aware of the fact they expire at all and the actual date is a little longer. GamersGate claims that it'll notify you when they're due to expire but apparently it just added a grace period on top of the 12 months because I've certainly never received any such message.

Arthea

I know the FAQ states as much but I crunched the numbers after I became aware of the fact they expire at all and the actual date is a little longer. GamersGate claims that it'll notify you when they're due to expire but apparently it just added a grace period on top of the 12 months because I've certainly never received any such message.

I haven't got such a message!
or... I need to check my e-mail (><)

That's good to know

Dr Dogg

First time playing Papers, Please I was having a bit of trouble finding everything due to the cramped work space. I thought to myself "I know I'll crank the resolution up" but all I got was the same claustrophobic work environment. Though that really adds to the whole aesthetic of the game. Later on as more and more layers of bureaucracy are added it starts becoming a real fight for organisation and space as well as the constraints in time and the pressure to not fuck up or your poor family will be going without food for a 3rd day running.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I started Dark Souls yesterday. I was postponing my playthrough while waiting to hear a decision regarding the GFWL crap, but it looks like it's not a good idea to leave it to chance since there's no way to know what will happen (the update in the Joystiq article made me even more wary).

I stopped
below the bridge with the dragon on top
(a place that offers a conspicuous soul farming trick...). I'll be honest in that I can't say I'm having a lot of "fun" with the game yet. Dying constantly doesn't bother me but the gameplay still hasn't clicked, it feels "clunky" at times and most of my tries at the Taurus Demon were time wasted (
I finally killed it with arrows while cheesing my way through the battle by using the stairs to make him go up and down the tower
, so the strategy I ended up using to win wasn't very satisfying either. But I know that's on me). I'll persist though, I don't mind slow burns and I believe I'll feel differently about it sooner than later. I don't like to obsess with wikis and FAQs, so I'm trying to find the right balance between figuring things out for myself and looking at tips. I think I'm doing ok so far. It's funny how I can't stop thinking about the game today though.

Mind you that these are light early impressions from a first-time player. I feel like I need to point this out since I've seen people go nuts at any kind of comment about this game that isn't praise.

I ran the game without DSfix first, then with it on 1080p + high AA + 60 fps and damn... Durante really is based. Can't imagine playing this without it. I imagine it will be the same for Deadly Premonition.

Dr Dogg

saw this on reddit

http://imgur.com/a/perp6

hah, I actually thought about this the other day. Thoughts?

Yeah I've mentioned and pondered about modular controller design in threads debating which stick layout is best ie; asymmetrical vs symmetrical. There used to be some old school joysticks that were like that, though they were pretty bad in terms of build quality.

Maybe to keep certain people happy having two slots or ports just under the track pads that could be easily reconfigured to suit certain peoples preferences would work. Though on the other hand I can't imagine this would be cheap in any stretch of the imagination.

yuraya

I started Dark Souls yesterday. I was postponing my playthrough while waiting to hear a decision regarding the GFWL crap, but it looks like it's not a good idea to leave it to chance since there's no way to know what will happen (the update in the Joystiq article made me even more wary).

I stopped
below the bridge with the dragon on top
(a place that offers a conspicuous soul farming trick...). I'll be honest in that I can't say I'm having a lot of "fun" with the game yet. Dying constantly doesn't bother me but the gameplay still hasn't clicked, it feels "clunky" at times and most of my tries at the Taurus Demon were time wasted (
I finally killed it with arrows while cheesing my way through the battle by using the stairs to make him go up and down the tower
, so the strategy I ended up using to win wasn't very satisfying either. But I know that's on me). I'll persist though, I don't mind slow burns and I believe I'll feel differently about it sooner than later. I don't like to obsess with wikis and FAQs, so I'm trying to find the right balance between figuring things out for myself and looking at tips. I think I'm doing ok so far. It's funny how I can't stop thinking about the game today though.

Mind you that these are light early impressions. I feel like I need to point this out since I've seen people go nuts at any kind of comment about this game that isn't praise.

I ran the game without DSfix first, then with it on 1080p + high AA + 60 fps and damn... Durante really is based. Can't imagine playing this without it. I imagine it will be the same for Deadly Premonition.

Whatever you do make sure you keep going. You haven't even scratched the surface of all the great stuff the game has to offer. That beginning part of the game with the
dragon and that bridge
can feel like quite the chore. But once you get past all that you will really start enjoying the pace and challenge of the game.

Yeah I've mentioned and ponder about module controller design in threads debating which stick layout is best ie; asymmetrical vs symmetrical. There used to be some old school joysticks that were like that, though they were pretty bad in terms of build quality.

Maybe to keep certain people happy having two slot or ports just under the track pads that could be easily reconfigured to suit certain peoples preferences would work. Though on the other hand I can't imagine this would be cheap in any stretch of the imagination.

What makes this weird is that's a Valve patent: http://kotaku.com/5890372/is-this-valves-control-pad-design/
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20110105231#b

Dr Dogg

Wow filled in 2009 and registered in 2011.

Looking at that picture of their early prototypes I wouldn't mind trying a controller with a trackball. I used one playing Sim City round a friends house years ago and was quite a pleasant experience. That and arcade games like Rampart and the one Golf game every pub had really flowed well into gameplay. If something that added resistance like Logitech's infinite scroll for their mouse wheels was added I could see it being quite versatile.

JaseC

Looking at that picture of their early prototypes I wouldn't mind trying a controller with a trackball. I used one playing Sim City round a friends house years ago and was quite a pleasant experience. That and arcade games like Rampart and the one Golf game every pub had really flowed well into gameplay. If something that added resistance like Logitech's infinite scroll for their mouse wheels was added I could see it being quite versatile.

According to Valve such a design doesn't work nearly as well as initially thought.

Hasney

I want one purely to play the Sonic arcade game in MAME properly.

One thing that just hit me regarding a modular controller would be the logistics put in by devs. They'd have to account for every variation. Nothing would be fixed and that might be problematic to implement.

milena87

I started Dark Souls yesterday.

Just keep going at your own pace trying to find your own style, you'll enjoy it much more :)

Try maybe different things with your equipment. The first time I played I used mostly medium sets (Elite Knight and Eastern in particular) with strenght weapons and, while things were ok, I felt that something was not quite right for me.
I started the game from scratch at the beginning of this summer and this second time I mostly used robes (I found the Gold-Hemmed Set early) and dex weapon (I love my Balder's Side Sword) and it's been a wonderful time.

Dr Dogg

The only game worth paying more than $50 for is Dynasty Warriors 7. ;)

Here's a question for you. Dynasty Warriors 7 I guess never had an official Steam release or I assume a limited one due to language. Are there any other games that were only available by purchasing and redeeming a retail copy?

I'm sure you've scoured the database by now for any :p.

Last boss in Rising is absolutely punishing me right now. Before I even have time to think, I'm dead. This could take a while.

nanomachines, son

First time playing Papers, Please I was having a bit of trouble finding everything due to the cramped work space. I thought to myself "I know I'll crank the resolution up" but all I got was the same claustrophobic work environment. Though that really adds to the whole aesthetic of the game. Later on as more and more layers of bureaucracy are added it starts becoming a real fight for organisation and space as well as the constraints in time and the pressure to not fuck up or your poor family will be going without food for a 3rd day running.

Yeah the work space is pretty tight. Key is to only keep out what you need and make sure everything is accessible. I started every day by organizing the desk and moving anything that wasn't useful to a corner.

When you get a lot of forms, look over each one individually and then put it back on the counter. Things get cluttered up pretty easily when there are 8 possible forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom