• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maty

My rarest achievements are mostly from Giana Sisters and Trine 2. I guess not many people play Trine 2 on hardcore mode or Giana's time and score attack modes.

The 2nd one from the left is a Killing floor event achievement.

Also, any opinions on Syder Arcade?

But it's so nice to be unplugged.

I just bought my girlfriend these and she loves them. She wanted a wireless headset and that's one of the most highly regarded ones I could find.

After testing it out myself, I can agree that it's pretty awesome to be able to run to the fridge and still hear and talk to your friends.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Great to read. I hate how more often than not the wrong people get into these betas.

Like, oh hey. I'm missing 3 fingers on each hand and this controller is terrible. Oh, also my house is a Faraday cage and streaming is only okay.

I need optimal situations, dammit.

HoosTrax

My rarest achievements are mostly from Giana Sisters and Trine 2. I guess not many people play Trine 2 on hardcore mode or Giana's time and score attack modes.

The 2nd one from the left is a Killing floor event achievement.

Also, any opinions on Syder Arcade?
I wish I had the patience to try to 100% everything, but I usually just end up moving on to the next game after I felt like I've gotten my fill of a game.

5qk4.png

(I set all of my showcase achievements to be "fail-chievements")
Great to read. I hate how more often than not the wrong people get into these betas.

Like, oh hey. I'm missing 3 fingers on each hand and this controller is terrible. Oh, also my house is a Faraday cage and streaming is only okay.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more people try to offload the prototypes on eBay or something (or maybe they have to sign something that prevents them from trying that)

Grief.exe

Or I was dropped on my head many times as a baby and a daily meth user.

Seem to be your average Steam forum poster anyways.

these are all devs btw and as I said yesterday some of them have middling or negative opinions on it. You guys checking out my thread? You better be! It's so slow. Looks like I need to spice up the title to get more people. Something console related perhaps :p

Tellaerin

It's a great game at an excellent price. But there's a demo to try here if you are curious. (I really don't know why they couldn't have added this to the Steam page).

"Bionic Dues" is such an odd title. Whenever I see it, my mental autocorrect keeps wanting to "fix" it by changing it to either "Bionic Deus" or "Bionic Dudes".

The videos definitely make it look interesting, so onto the wishlist it goes. May try to pick it up before the sale's done.

Tests performed under optimal conditions aren't much better than worse-case scenarios for people who are interested in how these things'll perform in the real world, you know. (To clarify, I'm not saying that it's bad to want more balanced opinions, but you're not going to get those from either extreme.)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just bought my girlfriend these and she loves them. She wanted a wireless headset and that's one of the most highly regarded ones I could find.

After testing it out myself, I can agree that it's pretty awesome to be able to run to the fridge and still hear and talk to your friends.

Aren't 5.1 and 7.1 headsets bullshit anyway? They all "emulate" 7.1 setups with one speaker on each ear, which can't possibly be good.

I only use my G930 in Stereo mode.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Tests performed under optimal conditions aren't much better than worse-case scenarios for people who are interested in how these things'll perform in the real world, you know.

I'm not talking about a lab setting or anything, but how about a dude that has two computers that aren't toasters and have wired internet connections?

That's what I'm asking for.

maty

I wish I had the patience to try to 100% everything, but I usually just end up moving on to the next game after I felt like I've gotten my fill of a game

I try as long as the achievements are humanly possible to obtain. Also unless the game is story based, I move onto other games and then I come back if I feel like going for a challenge.

For example, I'm only missing 3 achievements for Giana sisters but that include beating the game without dying in one sitting :/. So I'm not going waste time on that.

From the games I 100% the one I found most tedious was playing Specs Ops in the higher difficulty which meant replaying many parts several times.

"The steam controllers handed out at #steamdevdays feel a lot better than the demo versions at the conference."

"The right pad feels a lot more like a physical trackball and has a good sense of momentum. Quite usable for FPS games after some practice."

hmm

to be frank, it's the left pad (WASD) that most people don't seem to like with shooters. One of the devs says he's going to livestream some stuff like L4D2 soon, which going by the (300 beta) impressions/coverages gave most people trouble. We'll see.

NotSelf

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Viscera Cleanup Detail Santa's Rampage -- MB-A19CE48B0433AB9A - Taken by Cheddahz. 3 entrants total.

t1390252962z1.png

futurama-busting-lamps.gif

Tellaerin

I'm not talking about a lab setting or anything, but how about a dude that has two computers that aren't toasters and have wired internet connections?

That's what I'm asking for.

So you're not really talking about "best case" so much as an average user's setup, then. Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.

Speaking of....Is there any impressions where someone HASN'T liked the controller?

Speaking of....Is there any impressions where someone HASN'T liked the controller?

yes. A lot actually :p

Many middling to negative impressions from both beta users and devs. It takes a lot getting used to and not everyone has the patience for it, plus it's only in legacy mode right now and does have some issues.

Aren't 5.1 and 7.1 headsets bullshit anyway? They all "emulate" 7.1 setups with one speaker on each ear, which can't possibly be good.

I only use my G930 in Stereo mode.

When playing a game, the positional sound effects are quite noticeable. My girlfriend has always been able to tell where she's been shot from or where an enemy is based on sound alone (through testing it out).

I think that's all they mean by that marketing term anyways. I could be wrong but that was always my thought behind it because of exactly what you said.

Great graphics, great soundtrack, terrible camera, almost no level variety (all except one in space)
Plays like defender.
It is fun, but I'd wait for a sale.

It is on sale. ;)

nexen

Like right now.

What does "bad camera" mean in a shmup?

It is on sale? I didn't know. I bought it during the winter sale.

The playfield is larger than the visual field so the camera has to move during play. It has a spring attached to it. Unfortunately in the majority of levels (all but one) there is nothing behind the player except star field so it feels like something is forcing your ship to the center of the screen instead of a camera moving about. Makes dodging projectiles and enemies harder than it should be.

edit: $2.50? Deffo worth it, just for gfx and soundtrack alone.

edit edit: Just to prepare you: it doesn't have very many levels, even by shmup standards. Partially made up for by some challenge modes.
Also it has cool retro filters. CGA, EGA, VGA, Amiga. Mostly useless, but cute.

HoosTrax

"Bionic Dues" is such an odd title. Whenever I see it, my mental autocorrect keeps wanting to "fix" it by changing it to either "Bionic Deus" or "Bionic Dudes".
I keep reading it as "Bionic Deus" as well. Which makes more sense as a game title than "Bionic Dues".

Dr Dogg

Sometimes headphones can cost more in certain countries due to importing and taxes, so not sure what the situation in Brazil is.

But you can always find a high-quality pair of headphones for lower prices. Grado, AKG, and Audio Technica all have open headphones in the lower budget prices that are perfect for gaming.

They will still have that wider sound stage, clarity, and good audio quality that you want for gaming. Typically better build quality than what you get out of a typical gaming headset as well.

I've heard incredibly good things about these lately http://www.modmic.com/ but then there is the import situation. The way the government of Brazil treats the global market is very strange, so its hard to recommend for that particular situation.

It's a bizarre situation where here a pair of ATH AD700's will set you back £150 compared to importing them for the States is about $100 with postage (and tax if you get shafted by the postage method) but the comparable Goldring DR150's can be had for about £50.

I'd love to get a modmic bit pricing to import is bit on the steep side. That and they never seam to be in stock. Cheapo Speedlink clip mic has served me well for years though.

these are all devs btw and as I said yesterday some of them have middling or negative opinions on it. You guys checking out my thread? You better be! It's so slow. Looks like I need to spice up the title to get more people. Something console related perhaps :p

You need something CBOAT in the title. The kids go crazy for him/her!

In all seriousness you got a link? I'll stick my head in and give you my musings (if you want them of course).

maty

Great graphics, great soundtrack, terrible camera, almost no level variety (all except one in space)
Plays like defender.
It is fun, but I'd wait for a sale.

It is on sale? I didn't know. I bought it during the winter sale.

The playfield is larger than the visual field so the camera has to move during play. It has a spring attached to it. Unfortunately in the majority of levels (all but one) there is nothing behind the player except star field so it feels like something is forcing your ship to the center of the screen instead of a camera moving about. Makes dodging projectiles and enemies harder than it should be.

edit: $2.50? Deffo worth it, just for gfx and soundtrack alone.

edit edit: Just to prepare you: it doesn't have very many levels, even by shmup standards. Partially made up for by some challenge modes.
Also it has cool retro filters. CGA, EGA, VGA, Amiga. Mostly useless, but cute.

Thanks for the reply. At least I have a week to make up my mind and buy it or wait until it appears in a bundle.

I keep reading it as "Bionic Deus" as well. Which makes more sense as a game title than "Bionic Dues".

While it doesn't solve the mystery of the title I guess it is somewhat appropriate that three of my rarest achievements are from Bionic Dues:

- "So This Guy Walks Into A Bar... (expert)": 0.58% of players have this
- Besieged (expert): 0.64% of players have this
- Ninja'd (expert): 0.68% of players have this

"Keep thinking about the economies talk from Steam Dev Days. Added value, trading, win-win scenarios, mitigating regret. Perfect philosophy."

lmao that talk was a huge success. Up there with the VR talks based on the reactions

the hatpocalypse will be upon us soon!

derExperte

When playing a game, the positional sound effects are quite noticeable. My girlfriend has always been able to tell where she's been shot from or where an enemy is based on sound alone (through testing it out).

Virtual surround does work very good*. But you don't need 5.1 headphones for that, it actually works best with good stereos because they usually sound way, way better than the 5.1/7.1 ones.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zusU0fVB2Ys

cicero

I am probably very late to the party, but I figured I'd post anyways. I just wanted to let you know that we will be providing Steam keys for Gun Metal and Guilty Gear Isuka to anyone who bought the Indie Gala Dwarves bundle. Since the bundle was not through us though, we have no way of sending the keys out. To solve this we are having GamersGate disperse the keys. Not sure when the keys will be fully dispersed, but I know some people have claimed to already have their keys. Thanks for your patience, and I hope you enjoy the games.
wow. Great news. Thank you for the heads up.

Nothing like a horrible Spelunky daily challenge attempt to bring you down. :<
$5100. I know that feeling all too well.

Looks like Amateur Radio Operator from MGR:R got to the top of my rare achievements list.

Me too.

A bit ago, I used SAM to sync a bunch of achievements I'd gotten on XBL or PSN to Steam -- figured this way accomplishments on other platforms can be properly reflected without my OCD getting in the way and ruining some games for me by having to waste hours grinding to get certain achievements... unless the game has achievements I'll have FUN re-earning on Steam (MGR:R, Spelunky, Castlevania, Guacamelee being examples).

Turns out a lot of people on Steam haven't done a lot with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Millionaire and Archaeologist). There's also Bioshock 2 (guardian angel), Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (Sekto Suicide), and Enslaved (Tech Curator).
I think I'm doing it wrong guys. My steam game completion is up to 46% of 84 games beaten.

This is much too high correct?

Nah... the percentage is impressive.
What's too low is your game count. :p

--

I was doing the Spelunky daily challenge earlier... managed to come back from the brink and enter the black market with 2 lives and a shotgun. I worked my way to the Ankh and stole it since I didn't have enough cash. The ensuing fight with like 8 shopkeepers was a miracle and I worked my way around to steal EVERYTHING, get a new shotgun, and make it out with a jetpack and more.

I died on 4-3, at the door to Olmec. The climbing gloves I had attached me to a tiki -- and I was trying to avoid the enraged shopkeeper guarding the exit. SOOOO CLOSE to the end. I had 52 bombs. Dammit. :lol

Garcia

Steam is on fire. Both Braid and Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP in a row. What could be next? Bastion?
YES, Please.

Levyne

Banned
Me too.

A bit ago, I used SAM to sync a bunch of achievements I'd gotten on XBL or PSN to Steam

I'm unfamiliar with this. SAM? Do you have to own the game in both places?

I apologize if that is a dumb set of questions.

Edit: Doing some reading. It's all manual selection then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom