• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Its the average percentage of achievements earned per game, not the percent of games you have completed from your library.
I think it's actually the average percentage of achievements earned per game, in those games in which you've unlocked at least 1 achievement. "Don't start what you don't intend to finish."

I'm unfamiliar with this. SAM? Do you have to own the game in both places?

I apologize if that is a dumb set of questions.

Edit: Doing some reading. It's all manual selection then?

Yeah, that part was a pain in my ass.

SAM is Steam Achievement Manager.
If it has Steam Achievements, you can use it, most likely, to set whatever achievements you want to unlock. You can also use it to idle for cards, as it basically tells the Steam servers you are in game X...

And yeah, I did it manually... but for the most part, unless a game had extra achievements or an altered list, I tend to platinum or 1000/1000 games, so some were just straight up easy to do. Check all then uncheck the few that I didn't have or whatever.

Xavin

Neo Member
I try as long as the achievements are humanly possible to obtain. Also unless the game is story based, I move onto other games and then I come back if I feel like going for a challenge.

For example, I'm only missing 3 achievements for Giana sisters but that include beating the game without dying in one sitting :/. So I'm not going waste time on that.

From the games I 100% the one I found most tedious was playing Specs Ops in the higher difficulty which meant replaying many parts several times.

Bit.trip runner is the only game I had to give up on 100% which sucks because I only miss 3-2 leaky krinkston bonus level but I just cant finish that one.

Turfster

I think it's actually the average percentage of achievements earned per game, in those games in which you've unlocked at least 1 achievement. "Don't start what you don't intend to finish."

Better known as "fuck you multiplayer achievements for single player games"

Levyne

Banned
Seems like you have to have some minimum level to see it. Guess that's what I get for not doing badges and having <100 games :(

As someone who never 100%s games I'd actually kinda like it if (at least for single player games) a specific achievement or set of achievements could be registered by the developer as "beating" the game. Like, whatever "beat the campaign on normal or higher" equivalent is. I just feel like I'd like an at the glace way to see what games I've played through the main story mode for, achievement % doesn't matter to me at all.

Gvaz

Banned
So a large majority of those 300 that got into the hardware beta are actually developers. Makes sense, but why make it public in the first place if that's what you're doing valve?

Parsnip

1,465 Achievements
17 Perfect Games
51% Avg. Game Completion Rate

As long as it floats around 50%, I'm satisfied.

Speaking of, there's no way I'm getting 100% on MGR:R.

So a large majority of those 300 that got into the hardware beta are actually developers. Makes sense, but why make it public in the first place if that's what you're doing valve?

umm, no. They only got it now at SDD.

A couple of select devs did get kits before Xmas, like Tommy R, Codemasters, Ken Levine, Double Fine, Platinum etc, but the majority of the 300 beta testers are "average" Steam users. They have an unofficial group with 159 members, it could be that not everyone signed up or the rest indeed went to the devs and etc though.

Now thanks to this conference there are like 1000-2000 more units out there, which are indeed all devs :p

Backlogger

I always assumed it wasn't going to be as random as they made it seem. I mean, its a hardware beta, not a software beta. I would have loved to have received one but I'm not surprised that I didn't. They really needed to make sure that they got the best feedback from as many of the participants as possible.

Caerith

Do you think it's the average of the averages (like, if half your games are 40% and half your games are 60%, then 50%) or the percent of achievements unlocked out of achievements available? I'm curious if it only counts games you've earned an achievement in or if it also counts games you've logged play time in; it doesn't seem to count games added to your library but never touched, at least.

Khronico

Hey, back from the land of consoles for a bit to ask a question: Is Two Brothers any good? I saw a GB QL of it a while back and it seemed interesting, but I haven't seen much else about it. Is it a good game worth my money?

Gvaz

Banned
umm, no. They only got it now at SDD.

A couple of select devs did get kits before Xmas, like Tommy R, Codemasters, Ken Levine, Double Fine, Platinum etc, but the majority of the 300 beta testers are Steam users. They have an unofficial group with 159 members, it could be that not everyone signed up or the rest indeed went to the devs and etc though.

Now thanks to this conference there are like 1000-2000 more units out there, which are indeed devs :p

Most of the people who have the hw beta badge are profiles like "rockstar, gajingames, wadjeteyegames, facepunch, etc"

edit: i am looking at the wrong section oops

HoosTrax

Do you think it's the average of the averages (like, if half your games are 40% and half your games are 60%, then 50%) or the percent of achievements unlocked out of achievements available? I'm curious if it only counts games you've earned an achievement in or if it also counts games you've logged play time in; it doesn't seem to count games added to your library but never touched, at least.
It does not count games that you have playtime in but no achievements unlocked in. So, for example, if you idle a lot of games that happen to have achievements for trading cards, it has no effect on the %.

The % is the average of the %s for the games. It is not (total achievements unlocked / total # of achievements combined for all of your Steam games).

maty

Bit.trip runner is the only game I had to give up on 100% which sucks because I only miss 3-2 leaky krinkston bonus level but I just cant finish that one.

Tell me about it. After beating Runner I felt like it was impossible to get perfect score on every level so I left it there. After 1 year and beating runner 2 I went back to it and finally made it. But 3-2 bonus level was the last I beat. THAT was hard, not to mention I had to replay 3-2 many times to get to the bonus level. xD

cicero

Turns out a lot of people on Steam haven't done a lot with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Millionaire and Archaeologist). There's also Bioshock 2 (guardian angel), Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (Sekto Suicide), and Enslaved (Tech Curator).

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet just recently had GFWL removed and Steam achievements added though.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It's a shame they can't come up with a system that separates Single Player Achievements and Multiplayer Achievements, more work for the developers, but a lot more useful in a variety of ways to players and tracking.

It's the achievements that simply can't be done because the studio no longer exists (e.g. beat a member of the development team), DLC is no longer available for some reason, or recommends doing something potentially damaging (leave a game on for 100 hours or "crash the game" like Dungeons of Dredmore), and so forth that I dislike.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's the achievements that simply can't be done because the studio no longer exists (e.g. beat a member of the development team)

Most of those are also viral, so they end up being "beat someone who has this achievement" rather than "beat an actual member of the development team". Not all of them. But a lot of them.

Dr Dogg

After playing MGR, I need Tecmo to come to the PC side and port Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma over.

Isn't Sigma really shitty? Christ it was years ago I played the demo in my PS3 but it felt a little off in the controls (plus the frame rate was rubbish). Looked great compared to the Xbox version though.

Has Tecmo ever published a pc game or port?I know Koei had done a fair few and they're part of the same conglomerate/merger/whatever now.

Here be stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Europa Universalis III Complete -- MB-4A7C342AA3AE0762 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 8 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-0D1749A80201C91A - Taken by Kuroyume. 11 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-2601FE0B79C1A879 - Taken by _hekk05. 4 entrants total.

t1390272313z1.png

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
After playing MGR, I need Tecmo to come to the PC side and port Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma over.

Tecmo Koei would rather give you the next big thing instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpzvGY24MuUl

Isn't Sigma really shitty? Christ it was years ago I played the demo in my PS3 but it felt a little off in the controls (plus the frame rate was rubbish). Looked great compared to the Xbox version though.

Has Tecmo ever published a pc game or port?I know Koei had done a fair few and they're part of the same conglomerate/merger/whatever now.

Sigma 1 is good, Sigma 2 is the one that has ppl divided though.

Caerith

Most of those are also viral, so they end up being "beat someone who has this achievement" rather than "beat an actual member of the development team". Not all of them. But a lot of them.

I dislike social achievements, but that's the best way to do one. There shouldn't be achievements for liking a game on facebook, registering for the developer's forums, or hunting down a member of the dev team and buying them a drink.

Grief.exe

I really don't know the difference between Black or Sigma so I can't tell you.

They are publishing Ninja Gaiden Z which I believe is there first Steam game.

Sigma was the remake for PS3, IMO it was better than the one on the Xbox, also the PS3 version has better graphics.

Xbox

ninja_gaiden_sigma_2_005.jpg

PS3

ninja_gaiden_sigma_2_006.jpg

The gameplay drops frames several times...

Yeah I noticed it too, I hope they fix it before they release it on Steam!

Momentary

Banned
I don't care what people say, I think Yaiba looks freakin' awesome. Combat looks so damn smooth. I'm sure the frame rate drop is from them playing on consoles.

It's going to be day one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom