• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

It was probably related to Sega's financial report at the start of 2013. The other Japanese publishers woke up to the ridiculous revenue potential of the platform.

Some have western arms like Square Enix or Capcom, but the Japanese executives didn't care or didn't listen. I call that ignorance.

Could have been Namco's quarterly reports as well.

I still think it's because PC shares CPU/GPU architecture with curgen consoles. They will port the older games to PCs (+for us), make some money (+for them) and have *needed* experience with x86 architecture (since, really, last console that used that was WonderSwan back in 1999).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
All this talk of Resident Evil 4 makes me want to replay it. Oh not the Gamecube original, nor the PS2 and Wii ports, but the retro inspired LCD (or three frames of Leon movement) flash browser game.

Anyone recall where it was online? Something amusing about that old game and watch style of play, but alas I can't seem to find it and I doubt this new PC edition will include it.

Copons

Capcom, Okami HD PC Port. pls give.

THIS.

With "show all text at once" or skip button plz

OR RATHER THIS, WAY MORE THIS

Also, so cool that RE4 is coming on Steam!

I still have my GC copy intact and never played, probably even never put inside the tray (
Steaming before Steam even existed, bitches!
), as Silent Hill 2 made me totally freaked out of horror games.
So I actually won't buy RE4 on Steam, but I'll bitch all over the place because I won't be able to redeem my GC physical copy. :(

I have that same card with my laptop and A) no way youre playing BF3 mazed out and B) yeah, the game runs decently enough. Doesn't run as well as an UE3 game but it's perfectly playable and runs better than the console versions at the same res and with extras thrown on top. You might want to use MSI afterburner to overclock that card if you haven't already, too. It overclocks really well.
No I'm not running BF3 maxed out obviously, but running it on 1080p with no major slowdowns.

I have to check that afterburner thing. Can you provide me details via PM? Thanks in advance!

HOW DO I FIX THIS!?

PlushBitterAdmiralbutterfly.gif

Grief.exe

Capcom, Okami HD PC Port. pls give.

I believe Okami HD is one of the few console HD ports to have 1080p, it may even have 60 FPS.
I really want to import a Japanese physical copy, I believe they only exist as a DD in the states.

RE: Resi 4.

I've got the Wii version but I'm not sure if I should replay it on the Wii U or get the PC port. Dat Wiimote aiming.

Emulate the Wii version on Dolphin. Previously, it was the definitive way to play RE4.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm trying to purchase the current weekly humble bundle, I want to pay $6 but this new slider isn't letting me select anything between $5.94 and $6.09. Is something broken on my end or is this the intended behavior?

edit: I'm an idiot, I can just type in the price same as before. Nevermind!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I love the sort of grindhouse Steam banner they have for the game:

header.jpg

That said, when looking at what friends had the game wishlisted, I noticed the game had a different icon, though guessing it was a placeholder, as the banner art is an updated version of the old European boxart, I believe:

532d72710af44f29cc123c5796e95e0382461ee5.jpg

Nothing big, I just thought it was kind of interesting.

Tizoc

With "show all text at once" or skip button plz

Durante will fix it!

Reposting again since I plan on getting Blacklist off EU PSN, but if the Steam ver. requires UPlay, I'll just go get it soon.
How's Blacklist on Steam performance-wise? Do I need To register to UPlay to play it?

Anteater

I believe Okami HD is one of the few console HD ports to have 1080p, it may even have 60 FPS.
I really want to import a Japanese physical copy, I believe they only exist as a DD in the states.

nah it was 30fps, the game has updated assets and some redrawn textures if I remember correctly, and someone said the game was actually downscaled from a higher res on ps3 or something, it looked beautiful.

The_Monk

After one year, I finally finished XCOM Enemy Unknown fellow GAFfers:

mnDn00S.png

I still remember when I first played this game, almost one year ago. It was such a good surprise that this became my SOTY (Surprise Of The Year). I did some objectives and managed to reach one of those bigger missions too but then I faced the reality of not being able to play this game on proper settings due to the lack of proper hardware. It's not a genre that we get many releases during the year but if there is a recent game that revived the genre for me it was XCOM. Everything from researching, upgrading and creating new weapons and armor to fight is great.

The game gives you plenty to do in the battlefield and when you are at HQ. The tense moments always make you aware that if you do not pay attention you may loose support from your fellow countries. Everything from rescuing civilians, sending items to other countries so they can defend themselves or study these species are things that impact in a positive way the XCOM universe.

The game to me it was a bit hard at first, however. Easy mode is Normal, Normal is Hard and so on. You learn from your mistakes and with your own experience through the game (for example, Overwatch was a ignore feature that become the priority for me later on).

The soundtrack is nice. There's this music when you are about to deploy and you are editing your soldier that gives you that "we are going to war" feelings. Feels good. Graphics are good too even if this is not a game that I would play for this reason, yet seeing the dust, fire, leafs from the trees and some rain is always good in my gaming tastes.

I've already been advised by a couple of GAFfers to get Enemy Within, something I might plan on doing later on since for now I'll move to a different genre. *

as always sorry for the poor grammar skills

Turfster

Reposting again since I plan on getting Blacklist off EU PSN, but if the Steam ver. requires UPlay, I'll just go get it soon.
How's Blacklist on Steam performance-wise? Do I need To register to UPlay to play it?

All Blacklist versions use Uplay.

Given Capcom's sleaziness as a company, I can't help but feel that something will be wrong with the Ultimate HD HD HD edition. Did I mention the trailer made it clear this portjob was HD, like a lot?

Glix

Hey can someone let me know what is up with that Guilty Gear game?

Is it a normal/traditional 2d fighter? It seems so from the videos but there are 4 life bars? I can't really make heads or tails of it, any info would be appreciated.

(just nabbed Electronic Super Joy, game is stupid cheap)

After one year, I finally finished XCOM Enemy Unknown fellow GAFfers:

mnDn00S.png

I still remember when I first played this game, almost one year ago. It was such a good surprise that this became my SOTY (Surprise Of The Year). I did some objectives and managed to reach one of those bigger missions too but then I faced the reality of not being able to play this game on proper settings due to the lack of proper hardware. It's not a genre that we get many releases during the year but if there is a recent game that revived the genre for me it was XCOM. Everything from researching, upgrading and creating new weapons and armor to fight is great.

The game gives you plenty to do in the battlefield and when you are at HQ. The tense moments always make you aware that if you do not pay attention you may loose support from your fellow countries. Everything from rescuing civilians, sending items to other countries so they can defend themselves or study these species are things that impact in a positive way the XCOM universe.

The game to me it was a bit hard at first, however. Easy mode is Normal, Normal is Hard and so on. You learn from your mistakes and with your own experience through the game (for example, Overwatch was a ignore feature that become the priority for me later on).

The soundtrack is nice. There's this music when you are about to deploy and you are editing your soldier that gives you that "we are going to war" feelings. Feels good. Graphics are good too even if this is not a game that I would play for this reason, yet seeing the dust, fire, leafs from the trees and some rain is always good in my gaming tastes.

I've already been advised by a couple of GAFfers to get Enemy Within, something I might plan on doing later on since for now I'll move to a different genre. *

as always sorry for the poor grammar skills

Excellent write up, Monk!
Your grammar is better than mine and English is the only language I speak!

Given Capcom's sleaziness as a company, I can't help but feel that something will be wrong with the Ultimate HD HD HD edition. Did I mention the trailer made it clear this portjob was HD, like a lot?

Their PC ports have been top-class. I see no reason to worry.

Is it a normal/traditional 2d fighter? It seems so from the videos but there are 4 life bars? I can't really make heads or tails of it, any info would be appreciated.

It's a four-player fighter with plane-switching. The closest comparison is Treasure's Bleach/YuYu Hakusho/Guardian Heroes fighting games.
For the most part Isuka carries over all the moves and abilities from the previous Guilty Gear, but now with the added dimension of dealing with 3 opponents instead of 1.
Unfortunately this game is a mess.

HoosTrax

I think I give up on the Wiimote. I don't think it's my PC either, as I can sync my phone to my PC through bluetooth without any issues. Makes me wonder if the DS4 is any less of a hassle to get working with a PC, without having to do ridiculous things like downloading third party bluetooth stacks.

Volcynika

(just nabbed Electronic Super Joy, game is stupid cheap)

Yeah it's pretty traditional. There is just one health bar, I think a guard bar, a heat bar (at the bottom to indicate if you can do specials), and the like.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Even the character models?

Well the character models were made not as blocky but that is pretty much it. You could just model swap with the SourceNext version and have a pretty much definitive version with a bunch of extras not included in any of the other versions barring the Dreamcast port of the PC version. I doubt they'll add the RE0 extras from the 64 version but that's to be expected.

Gvaz

Banned
I am guessing it's an updated version of the RE4HD released for consoles. It does have new things though, like it will be the first version to run at 60fps, they say they have redone a lot of the visual work and sharpening some old assets, it'll have all previous iterations content, and say it will include things like full-controller and mouse support, Steam Trading Cards, and Leaderboards.

I see. What does the page say?
Fully optimized for the wide screen, texts have been sharpened and textures have been upgraded on characters, backgrounds and in-game objects.
Lets look at a picture. What here has been upgraded?
Okay. Now lets highlight everything in this screenshot that was actually updated to something reasonable in 2014.

Good job Crapcom. I'm not calling you the next morning.

Tizoc

@Turfster- Eh I never had any issues with Uplay on PS3 so far and if it's like in Rayman Legends I shouldn't have any problems.

steinsgateproduct-e1379663402760.jpg

Release date is March 31st atm, wonder if JAST was working to get a Steam release possible during this time?

Gvaz

Banned
@Turfster- Eh I never had any issues with Uplay on PS3 so far and if it's like in Rayman Legends I shouldn't have any problems.

steinsgateproduct-e1379663402760.jpg

Release date is March 31st atm, wonder if JAST was working to get a Steam release possible during this time?

I would buy the shit out of that on steam. the anime is one of my favorites

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually do hope them making an ultimate version of Resident Evil 4 means Resident Evil games are doing well on Steam, which means also besides the obvious hoping for older game they'll remove GFWL from Resident Evil 5 and add the Gold Edition content that never came to PC.

EDIT: Also I forgot that the trailer was on the Store page and runs at 60FPS, and holy shit, Resident Evil 4 looks great running 60FPS. Like I'm honestly surprised. I'm so used to seeing it run at 30 fps, and its a game I have in my memory pretty well, so probably why it sticks out to me.

Dr Dogg

I actually do hope them making an ultimate version of Resident Evil 4 means Resident Evil games are doing well on Steam, which means also besides the obvious hoping for older game they'll remove GFWL from Resident Evil 5 and add the Gold Edition content that never came to PC.

Well as I just mentioned in the other thread...

Haven't Capcom done quite well with 6 and Revelations ports just recently? I know both were part of that short lived reward tier promo where after a certain level of purchases unlocked extras. I think I recall both getting to the third tier in no time at all.

I do hope they are doing well as it can only mean good things.

Next stop Dragon's Dogma!
it has to be, if there is Capgod :(

I'd actually vote for Third Strike: OE myself, but Dogma would be really nice as well. Third Strike (and Darkstalkers, Marvel Origins) are CPS-2 based games, just like D&D: Shadow over Mystara is. And since D&D made it out to PC I can't believe that it would be that hard to bring over the classic fighting games as well. Plus the classic fighting game community is already on PC for stuff like GGPO so it actually makes more sense to release those games on PC as opposed to on the consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom