• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakeray

I guess I'd be a compulsive collector but they forgot the bullet point where I neglect my games to play League of Legends for 40 hrs a week.

Arthea

I personally have no idea how many games I finished, I know I finished 2 or 3 in the last few weeks of the year.
If I had to guess probably somwhere between 20 and 50.

I should probably take part of that backlog thread to keep track of this, but I'm not too eager to have a negative score every single year.

don't bother, keeping backlog and track of played games takes too much time! you can spend playing games and buying them.

If I had to estimate I started about 50 games this year, probably more, but finished may be 10 of those. As Jasec, when I like a game I'm unreasonably thorough and I'm one of very few people that like long or infinite.games too.
That reminds me, how many people here do like puzzle games besides myself, I think we never talked about it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dust is pretty rad. Combat is way more fluid than I expected too.

I didn't play too many indie games before 2013 but my standards are getting higher with the ones I've been playing lately (more recently, Guacamelee, Risk of Rain and Dust).

Including Black Flag, which I'm counting because I would have completed it in time had Uplay not eaten my save, I finished 5.5 games last year:

- AssCreed 3's DLC (0.25)
- BioShock Infinite
- Kentucky Route Zero (0.25; just the first episode)
- FEAR
- Rayman Origins
- Tomb Raider 2013

That many! :eek:

:p

My trouble is I start a lot of games, dump them in my "meh, I'll try this again another time when my backlog is lower and I've got the patience for what irritated me about it this time" category but then I hit one that I really click with and I play it obsessively to the exclusion of all else :/. FTL, XCOM, MOTN and so on. Still, if I like games that much I shouldn't really complain I suppose :). It doesn't help with the backlog though. Oh well, XCOM is on the home-ish straight so I'll discipline myself to play something else after that although I'll probably be very tempted to re-start it again :D.

bakeray

Pretty much this. I game a lot, its just that most of it is some F2P timesink or online game.
I've always been a fan of online multiplayer games over single player games. I think it's because in most games I find the normal difficulty to be too easy, but a lot of developers increase the difficulty in cheesy or cheap ways (nade spam in CoD campaigns, for an example.) whereas in online games the difficulty normally lies in coordination or adapting on the fly, which I prefer.

Arthea

Dust is pretty rad. Combat is way more fluid than I expected too.

I didn't play too many indie games before 2013 but my standards are getting higher with the ones I've been playing lately (more recently, Guacamelee, Risk of Rain and Dust).

In all honesty, I wouldn't think that Dust is an indie game. let alone made by one person. I think Dust and Mark of the Ninja raised my standards for indie games too. Dunno is it good or bad (><)

Even though Dota 2 absorbed half of the year, I have finished 28 games in 2013, by counting TWD as only one game. So, it is not unrealistic to finish 50 games in a year if you like indie games and if you do not play free-to-play games.

Just noticed you have finished 7 Grand Steps. I dropped it, even if I liked idea, a game was surprisingly boring. I played may be 2 hours, does it get more fun later on?

I've not read much on the sequel but even the original is a lovely, charming game.

When you start the game you just know you can use the whistle to attract the animals to you and the stomp to make things fall, as you progress through the game you start to discover new ways to interact and solve the puzzles with the same two abilities you have. The game is a big well crafted puzzle and deserve more attention.

Wok

Just noticed you have finished 7 Grand Steps. I dropped it, even if I liked idea, a game was surprisingly boring. I played may be 2 hours, does it get more fun later on?

There is not much you have missed. The game is more or less fun depending on your personal strategy to success. I find the clicking aspect is part of the pleasure in this game: it is both a slot machine and a small strategy game.

don't bother, keeping backlog and track of played games takes too much time! you can spend playing games and buying them.

Just keep track of finished games, it does not take much time.

Fuu

In all honesty, I wouldn't think that Dust is an indie game. let alone made by one person. I think Dust and Mark of the Ninja raised my standards for indie games too. Dunno is it good or bad (><)
Mark of the Ninja definitely raised my standards too but yeah, I'm a bit iffy on the entire "indie" label. It's practical to use in conversations but the definition is getting vague these days with bigger studios having a hand in some smaller games.

Just finished Bioshock Infinite. This is pretty much how I feel about the ending.

UANRq6d.gif

Also, over 51,6% of everyone who has played the game has finished it. I'm impressed.

liezryou

Welp second HP laptop of mine that is starting to have overheating issues. Guess it's time to back to desktop. Might go nvidia now since it seems to have less issues with ac3 and stuff.

Fuu

Just finished Bioshock Infinite. This is pretty much how I feel about the ending.

UANRq6d.gif

Also, over 51,6% of everyone who has played the game has finished it. I'm impressed.
Have fun!

That reminds me, I still need to finish working my way throught the blue ribbons in the Clash in the Clouds DLC. Still missing a few in the last level.

dani_dc

If I had to estimate I started about 50 games this year, probably more, but finished may be 10 of those. As Jasec, when I like a game I'm unreasonably thorough and I'm one of very few people that like long or infinite.games too.
That reminds me, how many people here do like puzzle games besides myself, I think we never talked about it.

Well, I actually would like to keep track of that stuff, I need to justify to myself that I'm actually beating some of the games that I buy.

That and I generally like to know that kind of information. I feel the need to know that stuff, in all honesty I'm a bit surprised that I don't keep track of that stuff already.
I used to add games to my "beaten" category on Steam, but when it came to games that also feel in other categories that I had on steam(like RPG), well, that posed a conundrum, so I just stopped doing it. Please add a tag/multiple-categories already steam.

Fuu

Thanks. Btw, should I play Clash in the Clouds or Burial at Sea first?
Go for Burial at Sea first, it's story-focused and relatively short. Mind you that the second chapter isn't released yet though.

Clash in the Clouds is a series of combat-focused levels with challenges and things to unlock, only recomended if you really enjoy the gameplay in Infinite and playing around with Vigors and combinations (I do).

Copons

Apparently I completed 26 games in the last six months. More than I would have thought so that's cheered me up a bit :).

Let me tell you, those lightspeed hyperspace jumps leave you too much free time! :p

also, FTL update please come soon, and someone inject it directly in my veins, thanks

Go for Burial at Sea first, it's story-focused and relatively short. Mind you that the second chapter isn't released yet though.

Clash in the Clouds is a series of combat-focused levels with challenges and things to unlock, only recomended if you really enjoy the gameplay Infinite and playing around with Vigors and combinations (I do).

Awesome, thanks again.

dani_dc

Mark of the Ninja definitely raised my standards too but yeah, I'm a bit iffy on the entire "indie" label. It's practical to use in conversations but the definition is getting vague these days with bigger studios having a hand in some smaller games.

The truth is "indie" emcompasses a huge variety of games, both in size, style and budget.
It merely defines something made by independent people.
It's absolutely meaningless to use the word "indie" to try and describe a game.

PhaZZe

Banned
Castlevania Lord of Shadows
i ended in knight difficulty, what a game, amazing job "mercurysteam", the last dlc is fucking hard.

Colin.

First Amazon voucher has went to Ace Patrol. Not the kind of game I usually play, but they seem fun to try out at under $1.

Fuu

Awesome, thanks again.
No prob! Definitely one of my favorite games from last year.

The truth is "indie" emcompasses a huge variety of games, both in size, style and budget.
It merely defines something made by independent people.
It's absolutely meaningless to use the word "indie" to try and describe a game.
Yeah, it really shouldn't be used as a genre to define a game. Anyway, it's pretty cool to see a lot of them being high quality and popular, I'm happy about how digital stores not only opened the way for these endeavours but also encourage it.

Sullichin

Counter Strike GO is surprisingly one of my favorite pickups of the sale. I've never played a CS before so I thought it might be stupid to try one now, but it was like $3 and I figured there would be lots of new players. I really like it. Playing a multiplayer FPS that doesn't hinge upon ADS is refreshing. I don't really understand the item drop system though. It looks like you have to buy the keys to open cases, so I assume they don't drop in the game, but people are also selling the keys on the marketplace for more than they cost in game... how/why?

Let me tell you, those lightspeed hyperspace jumps leave you too much free time! :p

also, FTL update please come soon, and someone inject it directly in my veins, thanks

I'll do it if no-one else steps up :p.

The upcoming FTL update is actually making me yearn for an iPad :/. I may get the update free because I already own FTL but the saving on buying that won't cover the cost of an iPad unfortunately. No amount of mental gymnastics can justify that purchase.

Yet :p.

Momentary

Banned
If it's not independent, it's not indie. There's no vagueness about it.

Everybody's Gone to Rapture - Not Indie

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Indie

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Counter Strike GO is surprisingly one of my favorite pickups of the sale. I've never played a CS before so I thought it might be stupid to try one now, but it was like $3 and I figured there would be lots of new players. I really like it. Playing a multiplayer FPS that doesn't hinge upon ADS is refreshing. I don't really understand the item drop system though. It looks like you have to buy the keys to open cases, so I assume they don't drop in the game, but people are also selling the keys on the marketplace for more than they cost in game... how/why?

Yes, only items drop from CS:GO, like cases and weapon skins, you can only buy the keys for the cases in-game or through the market but that's more expensive. Shady Russians sell keys because they got them from shady Aussies that need cheap games.
Welcome to the GO community, my humble advice is that you shouldn't buy keys, expensive weapon skins don't drop often. If I were you I would sell all the cases and weapon skins you get and then use that money to buy the skin you want, obviously you could be lucky and get a rare item drop but that's up to you to try.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Not sure why, maybe it requires forum signup to work? Here's pastebin of the post, should work.
Hi-five. I beat somewhere around 50 last year myself. (My backloggery has exactly 48, but I didn't track any replays there...)

Not sure I'm going to participate in Mr. Orange's thread, but I thought a minimum of 52 for 2014 would be a nice goal.

...As much as I dislike linking to ol' icycalm because the guy's a rude bigot who may never escape the gravitational field of his own cavernous asshole, there are a couple of good points about the problem with the term independent/"indie" buried in this thing he wrote: The Myth of Independence.

Fuu

Everybody's Gone to Rapture - Not Indie

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Indie
Yep. I didn't mean the definition is up in the air, but that with so many downloadable titles from all kinds of sources around these days you end up seeing the word being used on less strict terms (like with Dust and Mark of the Ninja, while both are published by Microsoft Studios). The link honorless posted goes into some interesting points too. Not a big issue for me anyway.

I think it's the norm in Euro/Non-Murica places. Or at least more common.
For that reason I'm always having to remind myself to change prices from 1,00 to 1.00 when I post in this thread. :p

louiedog

I think it's the norm in Euro/Non-Murica places. Or at least more common.

When my newly formed island nation is up and running we'll use the exclamation point.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants help getting a deal on Risk of Rain our Steam Store has the ROW version for 3!44 quatloos. The conversion works out pretty well for those in NA and the UK.

It's funny how people are cheating to get the "Don't play The Stanley Parable for five years" achievement, unless there is some secret way to get it in the game.

Momentary

Banned
I hate to admit this to everyone, but aside from the dialogue, I'm actually looking forward to Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. The gameplay looks so fluid and stylish. I'm hoping the gameplay helps sell the game, because It's really not looking so hot right now with the majority of Ninja Gaiden fans out there... or character action game fans in general.

I'm surprised there's not a Steam pre-order page up for it yet. It's supposed to be out in less than 2 months.

Even though Dota 2 absorbed half of the year, I have finished 28 games in 2013, by counting TWD as only one game. So, it is not unrealistic to finish 50 games in a year if you like indie games and if you do not play free-to-play games.

If I wasn't wasting tons of time by playing Soul Sacrifice after I finished it with VitaGAF or continually being hooked on games where the replay value is high, like Spelunky... and if I wasn't a damned completionist in terms of achievements/trophies, my count would be astronomical. :)

'06 total: 22 games
'07 total: 22 games
'08 total: 46 games
'09 total: 56 games
'10 total: 55 games
'11 total: 61 games
'12 total: 54 games
'13 total: 66 games
'14 total: 1 games

Worth noting is that in '06 and '07, I had just bought a house with my now ex-fiance and had been in a gaming lull/drought. Some of those numbers are probably tempered by playing Rockband/etc. with her too, instead of playing stuff I would play alone.

I also have months where I get burned out or interested in something else. Like I think this past March I was busy and ended up reading a lot of Game of Thrones, so my gaming time took a hit.

I hate to admit this to everyone, but aside from the dialogue, I'm actually looking forward to Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. The gameplay looks so fluid and stylish. I'm hoping the gameplay helps sell the game, because It's really not looking so hot right now with the majority of Ninja Gaiden fans out there... or character action game fans in general.

I'm surprised there's not a Steam pre-order page up for it yet. It's supposed to be out in less than 2 months.

I like everything about Yaiba, pretty much... although I worry a little that it's not DMC/NG enough for me.
The dialogue is a plus in my opinion -- I get tired of everything being so serious and whatever -- so things like this and Bulletstorm scratch an itch for variety and something different/new.
I did not know it was coming to PC.
This is relevant to my interests. :D

It's funny how people are cheating to get the "Don't play The Stanley Parable for five years" achievement, unless there is some secret way to get it in the game.

I have that achievement. :p
I don't think I'd call adjusting the system clock 'cheating' though. Considering the way that game handles achievements in the first place...
Hell, people were forced to "cheat" to figure out how to get that "unobtainable" achievement. Don't mess with a completionist, I suppose. ;)

BruteUA

Yes, only items drop from CS:GO, like cases and weapon skins, you can only buy the keys for the cases in-game or through the market but that's more expensive. Shady Russians sell keys because they got them from shady Aussies that need cheap games.
Welcome to the GO community, my humble advice is that you shouldn't buy keys, expensive weapon skins don't drop often. If I were you I would sell all the cases and weapon skins you get and then use that money to buy the skin you want, obviously you could be lucky and get a rare item drop but that's up to you to try.

lol

Totally agree with the advice, too. Keys are of the devil.

Yep, cases contain rare drops and you need keys to open them, but rares also drop in-game but very rarely (well, duh, that's why they are called rare drops I guess)

Benedict

Thinking of playing some CS GO and TF2 as well. How often do you get drops?
And what should I start with? Any servers/games I shoud avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom