• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's not entirely true. It references MGS2/Raiden's Backstory and bits of MGS4/what happens after. But for the most part you don't need to know the lore to enjoy the title.

Also can I admit something? I'm
not really enjoying Spelunky
. Keyboard and Mouse controls are kinda bad and the 360 controller layout is WTF. And I don't like the time limit on getting through levels or an insta-death will trigger. I know Persona 3-4 had those things, and they were fine there since the time limit wasn't as strict and you could at least explore the level. Here I'm having to dodge like five million things in a minute or get an insta-death spawn. :/

FloatOn

totally lttp but guacamelee is really really great.

it perfectly complements my adventures in the wasteland (fallout 3).

Rogue Legacy being number 1 is pretty disappointing. I played the game for a while and found it far too grindy with only mediocre core mechanics. This was probably exacerbated by playing it right after finishing Volgarr, which had excellent design and mechanics. I still have yet to find a rogue-like which I really enjoy - I should probably stop buying them.

It was exactly the opposite for me: tried to play Volgarr after investing 20 hours on Rogue Legacy and I just couldn't get into the MegaDrive aesthetics and design

Tellaerin

. Keyboard and Mouse controls are kinda bad and the 360 controller layout is WTF. And I don't like the time limit on getting through levels or an insta-death will trigger. I know Persona 3-4 had those things, and they were fine there since the time limit wasn't as strict and you could at least explore the level. Here I'm having to dodge like five million things in a minute or get an insta-death spawn. :/

It's the nature of the beast. Spelunky wants you to assess things on the fly, to grab as much as you can get away and haul ass for the exit. Dawdle too much or let your reach exceed your grasp and you'll end up dead. The pace the game sets isn't exactly leisurely, and you're going to miss stuff. That's pretty much a given.

I really need to spend more time with the Steam version now that I own it. It's a tough game, but fun once you find your rhythm.

Rogue Legacy being number 1 is pretty disappointing. I played the game for a while and found it far too grindy with only mediocre core mechanics. This was probably exacerbated by playing it right after finishing Volgarr, which had excellent design and mechanics. I still have yet to find a rogue-like which I really enjoy - I should probably stop buying them.
Have you tried Spelunky? No grinding to speak of, and it's all about excellent design and mechanics within procedurally generated level layouts.

That's not entirely true. It references MGS2/Raiden's Backstory and bits of MGS4/what happens after. But for the most part you don't need to know the lore to enjoy the title.
They're not required as they're just passing references, anything important within the plot is contained or explained in the game itself. Really it's a game where you can throw the lofty story expectations of a Metal Gear title out the window.

If you have issues with the button layout you can remap them however you like. The time limit is not an insta-death, it just summons a slow moving enemy that can be avoided, but will kill you if it touches you. It's all about risk rewards and making decisions on what's really worth pursuing with your allotted resources, but the levels are small enough that it's not hard to double and triple back on them before having it trigger.

Anteater

I expect MG Rising's plot to be something along the lines of "are you a bad enough dude to kill the president?" and nothing more

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ducktales' artwork looks like such shit.

Tellaerin

The time limit is not an insta-death, it just summons a slow moving enemy that can be avoided, but will kill you if it touches you.

I thought he was talking about the ghost spawning in when he said "insta-death spawn", but yeah, you're right. It's not like the timer in Mario where running out of time means you drop dead on the spot. Though it does add some pressure to get done and get out. I think that underlying sense of urgency (and the tension it adds) is a big part of Spelunky's feel.

dani_dc

Yeah, WayForward, wtf? You're good at 2D artwork, did you forget?

Unfortunately, it's much cheaper to do background 3D's rather than to draw them.
I imagine the budget wasn't exactly high for this remake.

It does make the game look pretty cheap.

Grief.exe

I never felt too rushed in spelunky, you just had to keep your pace slightly above a crawl.
You just have to accept that you can't possibly get everything.

Ghost spawn is far from an insta-death.

Anustart

Just did the Death Symbolized quest in Witcher 2 and surprised myself by deceiving the wraith. I knew a couple of the answers, but my expert guesswork prevailed on the others!

Hakkuei

Argh, does it spoil anything important about MGS4? I want to play it at some point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Steam isn't allowing me to like anything in my friends activity tab.

edit: it's working on some posts but not on others. Weird.

wilflare

Let's try and hi-fi this a bit

Didn't try it and my batch file skillz are rusty but it should cycle between starting and turning off

Code:
@echo off
net start | find "SCP DS3 Service"
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 2 goto trouble
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 1 goto startit
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 goto stopit
echo unknown errorlevel
goto end
:trouble
echo Error
goto end
:stopit
echo SCP DS3 Service stopping...
net stop "SCP DS3 Service"
goto end
:startit
echo SCP DS3 Service starting...
net start "SCP DS3 Service"
goto end
:end

shall give this a try...
i'm trying to pin this to my Steam icon on the taskbar.. but it doesn't work

EDIT: IT'S PERFECT! :D

Argh, does it spoil anything important about MGS4? I want to play it at some point.
You'll be fine, there are a couple lines that reference MGS4 happenings, but it's nothing major and more as a means to fill in the gaps between how the world has progressed since.

I made it to Mines 1-4, how far do I have to get so I don't start at the beginning every time?
During the transition to the next biome there will be someone that asks for specific items to donate for building a shortcut.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I bought Spelunky on vita becuase of Steam Recommendation and it hasn't turned out well. The controls i'm still just finding odd and the gameplay as a whole isn't hooking me like I does others. I made it to the second area after the caves and could have cared less about the accomplishment.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I made it to Mines 1-4, how far do I have to get so I don't start at the beginning every time?

Next level would be jungle, at the beginning you'll meet a charming fellow who offers to make a shortcut for you. You'll have to meet him there three times though, and each time he'll want something to help him out in his work
1. Some bombs, 2. Some ropes, 3 Some moneyz

The third item he'll ask for will get even more "interesting" for the next two shortcuts :p

Jawmuncher

You'll be fine, there are a couple lines that reference MGS4 happenings, but it's nothing major and more as a means to fill in the gaps between how the world has progressed since.

image.php

I'm just commenting on your avatar.
I literally bought Papers Please during the Winter Sale just because of that video.

It's becoming sentient!

Happy birthday btw. :D

Thanks

Kuroyume

Banned
What sad about Duck Tales is how ugly it looks. Bionic Commando Re:Armed looked nice in 3d. Caslte of Illusion looks pretty good. Duck Tales is like Rocket Knight remake level of ugly.

Anteater

i don't know why using magic when you're out of mana stuns your character in valdis story, I know it's to tell you to watch your mana but I don't want to literally watch my mana when I'm low because I'm doing some shitty platforming using the double jump which uses your mana. For a skill that uses 2mp, you may as well change it to 0.

Edit: and please add an air cancel that doesn't result in a stomp unless pressing down because that would make platforming fighting projectile enemies less annoying since you could recover from getting hit without falling off.

I just noticed I went the wrong way doing some needless platforming :lol

During the transition to the next biome there will be someone that asks for specific items to donate for building a shortcut.

Next level would be jungle, at the beginning you'll meet a charming fellow who offers to make a shortcut for you. You'll have to meet him there three times though, and each time he'll want something to help him out in his work
1. Some bombs, 2. Some ropes, 3 Some moneyz

The third item he'll ask for will get even more "interesting" for the next two shortcuts :p

Thanks guys, game is hard but definitely addictive.

Agree completely. It just enriches the story for fans of the series, but it stands on it's own as a side thing and they put copious amounts of information in the logs and stuff if you care to read them all...

You ask this now... but you'll come to realize that you *WANT* to start at the beginning every time unless you're trying to do something specific, like unlock a character or practice a certain level.

image.php

I'm just commenting on your avatar.
I literally bought Papers Please during the Winter Sale just because of that video.
<3

I haven't touched my won copy yet (thanks again Accent!) but I'll be sure to do so after RotT.

Happy birthday as well fellow Capricorn! I too know the joys of growing up with such an early birthday.

Hakkuei

The biggest spoiler is on the front of the box.
Ha, it should be fine then. Thanks.

I've been told that it doesn't.

I have the legacy collection, but will double dip for a PC port.
That's why I'm still a bit hesitant on playing it right now, even though I recently got a PS3. Waiting for Rising paid off, eh?

Jawmuncher

<3

I haven't touched my won copy yet (thanks again Accent!) but I'll be sure to do so after RotT.

Happy birthday as well fellow Capricorn! I too know the joys of growing up with such an early birthday.

I actually had won a copy as well but bought it before I knew I had won.
Didn't mind though still nice to know that I won a copy regardless.
Also thanks. Birthday being at the beginning of the year is a pretty big positive all around as you know.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh Gunman Clive is another 3DS joint like Steamworld Dig? I like this trend

That's why I'm still a bit hesitant on playing it right now, even though I recently got a PS3. Waiting for Rising paid off, eh?

No.
Cause now you don't get to experience it again for the first time. :p

MGR:R was my GOTY for 2013. And now it can be my GOTY for 2014. :D

wilflare

thanks man! wanted to Pin it to my Steam Taskbar shortcut.. lol but the code won't run.

ended up creating a shortcut and pinned it directly to my taskbar, now it's just a click away! :D

switching between my neogeo pad and DS3 effortlessly now :D

(man.. this teaches me that I should really learn how to code)

liezryou

Anyone have an interest in kr0 and miss the sale? I impulse bought and have decided i will wait until all the episodes come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom