• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

I finished 45 games in 2013. Peculiarly enough, that's less than 2012 (55 that year). It's peculiar because I was taking a break from the university for the better part of 2013 and had more free time than the previous year.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
109 games completed in 2013 including all platforms. A little over 30 pieces of DLC completed as well. I've made my backlog my bitch these last two years. I also dumped about 50 games into my wipe from the account one day category.

Also with Family Sharing I had access to pretty much every single game that got a vote on the GOTY list. Based Family Sharing.

Jawmuncher

I finished 45 games in 2013. Peculiarly enough, that's less than 2012 (55 that year). It's peculiar because I was taking a break from the university for the better part of 2013 and had more free time than the previous year.

Don't know my total number across steam and consoles. But combined it was no more than 20 something. I do more talking than playing games here on GAF though i'm already at a good start to squash that.

didamangi

I really like Valdis but sometimes it feels like its trying to make me hate it. Some of these bosses....ugh.

I thought the bosses were fun and challenging, got some old school feel to them. You just have to learn their pattern and don't forget you can block. Also the cancel dash does makes you invincible to enemies when using it.

Thinking of playing some CS GO and TF2 as well. How often do you get drops?
And what should I start with? Any servers/games I shoud avoid?

You get drops all the time in TF2, like one or two per session at least. They are random so you migh have a drought of 3 hours and then get items every 5 minutes for a while so don't worry about those. I have only played 6 competitive rounds of CSGO and those last up to 90 minutes: you only get drops after the round ends and not everyone gets drops so I have only gotten 2 drops in 5 hours... Might be faster with the casual modes.

For TF2 I have mostly played just randomized matchmaking and the skill levels are allaround the place, but not a bad place to start. If you like some mode more than others, you can just pick that, but I like all of them. Like I said with CSGO I have only played competitive, it's kinda brutal though.

I do kinda miss the times when I would only frequent one server and always play there, but modern games since the introduction of matchmaking kinda make that somewhat harder. I don't know exactly why, but now that I have generally less time to play anything, I just want to jump in and be done with it. I used to be a huge hater of matchmaking (and I still think that it ruined the community aspects of online game for masses). RIP Efterlyst, you were the best server.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I really like Valdis but sometimes it feels like its trying to make me hate it. Some of these bosses....ugh.

The fire demon was such an asshole. Like 75% of the screen is occupied by stunlock instadeath.

I thought the bosses were fun and challenging, got some old school feel to them. You just have to learn their pattern and don't forget you can block. Also the cancel dash does makes you invincible to enemies when using it.

The game doesn't make it remotely clear how important/useful skill cancel is. It's just like...here. Use this thing and stomp on switches. I ran away from two of the big shield angels before I realized you could just dash to the other side and hit them from behind. I thought they were just "No, don't go this way" markers for the early game. It wasn't until that area's boss when I was out of ideas and realized dashing through him was my only chance. Once you start using it effectively in combat the game is completely different.

wilflare

another controller question
for those using the Xinput Wrapper with Dualshock 3, is there anyway to disconnect the controller (USB/Bluetooth) without having to reboot the computer?

Despite plugging out and disconnecting the bluetooth, my PC still considers the controller connected :/

didamangi

The fire demon was such an asshole. Like 75% of the screen is occupied by stunlock instadeath.

The game doesn't make it remotely clear how important/useful skill cancel is. It's just like...here. Use this thing and stomp on switches. I ran away from two of the big shield angels before I realized you could just dash to the other side and hit them from behind. I thought they were just "No, don't go this way" markers for the early game.

Yeah, they should put a link to the manual in the game really.
http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/252030/VSAC Manual.pdf?t=1383841973

another controller question
for those using the Xinput Wrapper with Dualshock 3, is there anyway to disconnect the controller (USB/Bluetooth) without having to reboot the computer?

Despite plugging out and disconnecting the bluetooth, my PC still considers the controller connected :/

Press L1+R1+PS button until the lights start flashing.

Jawmuncher

So there's never been any updates about Halo popping up in the Steam DB has there?
Was thinking about it today and it sure would be nice to have the first 3 games on there. Especially Halo 2 with regular Steamworks support and no GFWL.

Tenrius

Don't know my total number across steam and consoles. But combined it was no more than 20 something. I do more talking than playing games here on GAF though i'm already at a good start to squash that.

Yeah, this probably has something to do with me getting onto GAF lol. My account was finally approved sometime in January 2013, good times.

You guys finish a lot of games, I think I was at like 10 in 2013 :/

Do you have a Backloggery account? I feel it really helps you to keep track of everything and it also really pleases my inner neat freak. Anyone who has one is welcome to add me, by the way: http://backloggery.com/tenrius

The best way I found to fight him was stay in the top of these flamethrowers, wait for him to jump to the wall and stomp with the fire attack then jump > skill cancel > dash > attack him but be careful to not trigger his fire shield. Repeat until he
or you
dies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So there's never been any updates about Halo popping up in the Steam DB has there?
Was thinking about it today and it sure would be nice to have the first 3 games on there. Especially Halo 2 with regular Steamworks support and no GFWL.

It would sure be nice to have every game on Steam with Steam matchmaking and achievements and cloud saves.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, they should put a link to the manual in the game really.
http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/252030/VSAC Manual.pdf?t=1383841973

It's funny, if you look at the later skill trees it's obvious that dashes should be a huge part of your combat just by how deep the bonuses for it are. But at first my dumb ass assumed that just made the dash actually useful later in the game.

The best way I found to fight him was stay in the top of these flamethrowers, wait for him to jump to the wall and stomp with the fire attack then jump > skill cancel > dash > attack him but be careful to not trigger his fire shield. Repeat until he
or you
dies.

My only problems with him were that I didn't realize how his
flame shield charge
worked the first time, but then his huge attack killed me two or three times in a row. I was making the dodging a lot more complicated and dangerous than it had to be.
Plus, when I saw he was regenning health during the tornado, I assumed that you HAD TO stop it or else the fight would go on forever. Finally I said "Fuck you, I'm not playing your game" and just sat in the corner and won

I don't think you necessarly have to beat games for them to not count against your backlog. If you have things like Alpha Protocol or Bioshock Infinite, sure, there the goal should be to either beat them or discard them if they aren't fun. But while I say that I only have 4 DLC packs in my Steam backlog, I might have 30 or so games I have not beaten.

Frozen Synapse - 18h played. bought for multiplayer. Played quite a bit of the singleplayer, but I don't care if I finish it or not.
Runner 2 - 2,5h played. Bought during this winte sale. A really nice game, but one where I just like to play a level here and there, and not rush through.
Pixeljunk Eden - 5,5h played. See above. I want this game to last. Not a backlog game.
Castle Crashers 1,5h played - Also bought in this winter sale. Played it for an hour or so, and while it's a fun game, I just bought it because I wanted to see how it was. I have no set goal to beat it.
Company of Heroes - 1h played Bought just to play some AI skirmishes from time to time. Don't care about the single player. Good game, but not a backlog game.
Etc.

But the Fallout: New Vegas DLC, it actually really bothers e that I still haven't played them yet. Definitely backlog items.

tried.. the LEDs go off. but Xbox 360 Controller still reflects as connected

The site does mention this:

Note : The Bluetooth Driver requires that you dedicate a Bluetooth Dongle to DS3 use. It will not be usable by other Bluetooth devices after the driver has been installed.

So you could stop the service by running the program again but it might not be worth the trouble...

Wok

Also with Family Sharing I had access to pretty much every single game that got a vote on the GOTY list. Based Family Sharing.

Speaking of Family Sharing, I can just gift games to some people who share their library with me. This way, I can be generous while buying new games to play for myself.

Jawmuncher

It would sure be nice to have every game on Steam with Steam matchmaking and achievements and cloud saves.

I definitely agree with that. But for now i'll just set sites on what's been found in the SteamDB. Though I know it's commonplace to pop up in SteamDB and have nothing come of it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Speaking of Family Sharing, I can just gift games to some people who share their library with me. This way, I can be generous while buying new games to play for myself.

I actually did that with Castle of Illusion this sale. I tricked a friend into activating the cd-key since I figured he would like the game (he does) and then I downloaded it myself through family sharing to try out some time with no real completion guilt.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't think you necessarly have to beat games for them to not count against your backlog. If you have things like Alpha Protocol or Bioshock Infinite, sure, there the goal should be to either beat them or discard them if they aren't fun. But while I say that I only have 4 DLC packs in my Steam backlog, I might have 30 or so games I have not beaten.

Frozen Synapse - bought for multiplayer. Played quite a bit of the singleplayer, but I don't care if I finish it or not.
Runner 2 - Bought during this winte sale. A really nice game, but one where I just like to play a level here and there, and not rush through.
Pixeljunk Eden - see above. I want this game to last. Not a backlog game.
Castle Crashers - Also bought in this winter sale. Played it for an hour or so no, and while it's a fun game, I just bought it because I wanted to see how it was. I have no set goal to beat it.
Company of Heroes - Bought just to play some AI skirmishes from time to time. Don't care about the single player. Good game, but not a backlog game.
Etc.

That's a good collection. Frozen Synapse was the most disappointing for me. For some reason it runs like crap on my lap top. Even though I can play more demanding games on this. It's like Magicka in that it runs like crap on laptops for some reason.

Pixeljunk Eden is incredible. Need to go back to it one of these days. It was one of those titles that I never understood the hype for. While I don't think it's the greatest thing ever it is really good.

Castle Crashers is great. Sucks that it will take them like 15 years to get a sequel out if they ever do it. Thinking about getting the Steam version since I never touch the 360 anymore.

My only problems with him were that I didn't realize how his
flame shield charge
worked the first time, but then his huge attack killed me two or three times in a row. I was making the dodging a lot more complicated and dangerous than it had to be.
Plus, when I saw he was regenning health during the tornado, I assumed that you HAD TO stop it or else the fight would go on forever. Finally I said "Fuck you, I'm not playing your game" and just sat in the corner and won

The
tornado is very annoying to dodge while trying to not being hit by the traps and the flame storm he summons upon you. Got me killed a lot of times because of it.

tried.. the LEDs go off. but Xbox 360 Controller still reflects as connected

bummer.. guess every time I wanna play Rogue Legacy with the NeoGeo pad.. I gotta restart :/ lol

Hmmm... sounds like my issues with DS4 Tool.
Not sure if this will help, but I'll recount it anyway, in case someone finds it useful... and maybe that someone will be you.

So I like to use my DS4 with games a large majority of the time. The x360 controller is acceptable, but I really hate the d-pad and the bumpers... so what happens when I'm using my DS4 and then it's out of battery? I try to switch to my x360 controller, right? But it was constantly coming up as controller 2, which wasn't really working out well in terms of replacing the DS4 I was using and I found I would have to reboot to fix it... or so I thought.

What I figured out what that you need to get the SCM "xinput wrapper" service to shutdown cleanly. So long as the xinput wrapper service is running, windows thinks there's an x360 controller connected, even if there is no dinput device sending inputs to be mapped...

So if you can shutdown the xinput wrapper service that's doing the mapping, maybe you won't have to restart.

didamangi

The
tornado is very annoying to dodge while trying to not being hit by the traps and the flame storm he summons upon you. Got me killed a lot of times because of it.

The boss is quite easy once you lean his pattern,
attack until he blocks, back away or hard hit his block to stun, jump to avoid his diving attack, go to either corner when he goes into flame storm so you can easily dodge the fire attack from above. Rinse and repeat.

Anteater

man the grabs and freeze attacks in valdis story are annoying, like those fucking ghost fish shit in NG but not as bad. Stop making me mash left and right fuck

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The

It is, but you can
dodge it very safely by staying at the edge of the corner, waiting for the fire rain and moving just enough to dodge it while staying outside the range of the vent.
Also, it's important when he's not using that attack
to use ice magic even if you're going a physical damage build. It breaks his shield that will burst you back after a few hits.

Once you figure those two things out, it's easy. But he and the previous boss both had attacks that could get you juggled infinitely with magic damage until you died/used a potion and murdered your score. Those two were really frustrating at the time even though once you figure out the pattern they aren't difficult.

Salaadin

The game doesn't make it remotely clear how important/useful skill cancel is. It's just like...here. Use this thing and stomp on switches. I ran away from two of the big shield angels before I realized you could just dash to the other side and hit them from behind. I thought they were just "No, don't go this way" markers for the early game. It wasn't until that area's boss when I was out of ideas and realized dashing through him was my only chance. Once you start using it effectively in combat the game is completely different.

Some are great but there are others where i just get infuriated.

Things like that guy (magus?) who healed himself with the rock...I get the fight strategy down and pull it off nicely until last moments where he calls some shitty mob down for help and i just get destroyed. Or the yeti where I swear he was not telegraphing his attacks, leaving me to just dodge and guess.

90 percent of the time, it's a really good game but that 10 percent makes me want to rip my hair out.

Edit. Abd yeah , the fire demon is what prompted me to make that post lol

wilflare

Not sure if this will help, but I'll recount it anyway, in case someone finds it useful... and maybe that someone will be you.

So I like to use my DS4 with games a large majority of the time. The x360 controller is acceptable, but I really hate the d-pad and the bumpers... so what happens when I'm using my DS4 and then it's out of battery? I try to switch to my x360 controller, right? But it was constantly coming up as controller 2, which wasn't really working out well in terms of replacing the DS4 I was using and I found I would have to reboot to fix it... or so I thought.

What I figured out what that you need to get the SCM "xinput wrapper" service to shutdown cleanly. So long as the xinput wrapper service is running, windows thinks there's an x360 controller connected, even if there is no dinput device sending inputs to be mapped...

So if you can shutdown the xinput wrapper service that's doing the mapping, maybe you won't have to restart.

shall find a way to automate that process.. maybe a cmd prompt script or something like that

maty

If I wasn't wasting tons of time by playing Soul Sacrifice after I finished it with VitaGAF or continually being hooked on games where the replay value is high, like Spelunky... and if I wasn't a damned completionist in terms of achievements/trophies, my count would be astronomical. :)

'06 total: 22 games
'07 total: 22 games
'08 total: 46 games
'09 total: 56 games
'10 total: 55 games
'11 total: 61 games
'12 total: 54 games
'13 total: 66 games
'14 total: 1 games

Impressive numbers, I finished half the games you did and that feels like a lot already.

I beat 5 games in 2011 (built my pc that year), 30 in 2012 and 32 in 2013. I could have finished more games but just like you I have to try and get all achievements as long as humanly possible. I am like this since the SNES days and it's probably too late to change xD

This is all on pc and I rarely play on ps3 and 3ds now. Don't have enough time.

I'm also about to hit 50 perfect games on steam out of 418, not bad.

The boss is quite easy once you lean his pattern,
attack until he blocks, back away or hard hit his block to stun, jump to avoid his diving attack, go to either corner when he goes into flame storm so you can easily dodge the fire attack from above. Rinse and repeat.

It is, but you can
dodge it very safely by staying at the edge of the corner, waiting for the fire rain and moving just enough to dodge it while staying outside the range of the vent.
Also, it's important when he's not using that attack
to use ice magic even if you're going a physical damage build. It breaks his shield that will burst you back after a few hits.

Once you figure those two things out, it's easy. But he and the previous boss both had attacks that could get you juggled infinitely with magic damage until you died/used a potion and murdered your score. Those two were really frustrating at the time even though once you figure out the pattern they aren't difficult.

Yes once you figure the pattern it's easy and I didn't knew about
ice spells breaking his shield.

wilflare

alright I got this figured.

yes, you need to stop the service to really just disconnect the device fully.

the fastest way to do so is to create two .bat files (command line scripts) to make this fast

STOP.bat (to stop the service)
Code:
ECHO
net stop "SCP DS3 Service"

START.bat (to restart the service)
Code:
ECHO
net start "SCP DS3 Service"

you can put ECHO OFF instead if you don't want to see the messages

both .bat files require you to "Run as Administrator"

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My steam goty is steam gaf's goty

Two hearts, beating as one!

How much Metal Gear lore knowledge does Revengeance require? I know it's kind of a sequel to MGS4 but I don't have a PS3 nor the game.

alright I got this figured.

yes, you need to stop the service to really just disconnect the device fully.

the fastest way to do so is to create two .bat files (command line scripts) to make this fast

STOP.bat (to stop the service)
Code:
ECHO

START.bat (to restart the service)
Code:
ECHO

you can put ECHO OFF instead if you don't want to see the messages

both .bat files require you to "Run as Administrator"
Let's try and hi-fi this a bit

Didn't try it and my batch file skillz are rusty but it should cycle between starting and turning off

Code:
@echo off
net start | find "SCP DS3 Service"
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 2 goto trouble
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 1 goto startit
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 goto stopit
echo unknown errorlevel
goto end
:trouble
echo Error
goto end
:stopit
echo SCP DS3 Service stopping...
goto end
:startit
echo SCP DS3 Service starting...
goto end
:end

vermadas

Rogue Legacy being number 1 is pretty disappointing. I played the game for a while and found it far too grindy with only mediocre core mechanics. This was probably exacerbated by playing it right after finishing Volgarr, which had excellent design and mechanics. I still have yet to find a rogue-like which I really enjoy - I should probably stop buying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom