• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Ace Patrol games any good? With the amazon vouchers I can get both of them free. I just don't know if they are worth playing or if they would be just to increase game counts.

Giard

Thanks for the giveaway.

I think I'll start playing Valdis Story this week. I need more Metroidvanias after finishing Dust.

Are the Ace Patrol games any good? With the amazon vouchers I can get both of them free. I just don't know if they are worth playing or if they would be just to increase game counts.

I've heard good things about them, although they're mobile games ported to PC. You're probably better off getting them at 75 cents each on GMG.

Turfster

How do you do after a Steam Sale when you bought many games and don't know which one to start?

I only bought things off my wishlist, so I'm just going through them one by one, depending on what I feel like playing at that moment. It helps that I have like, 200 games installed at all times, so I can just click and go without having to wait.

How do you do after a Steam Sale when you bought many games and don't know which one to start?

Write down the name of them all on little slips of paper and stick them on a dart board. Throw darts at board, play in the order the darts hit! Or pick the shortest time to complete ones and start with those first.

Seagoon

As others have said - they're mobile ports so the graphics are pretty basic. I find Ace Patrol to be a really cruisy, old school game that is great to play while watching a movie. You get attached to some of your pilots and the missions while not offering a huge variety of things to do can become quite challenging.

I just wish the iPad version was cheaper...

mannerbot

I only hate the ghost when it spawns RIGHT ON TOP OF THE EXIT with only a small path to get there. If I can get over/under him, then he's easy, but if it's just one path, it's basically "bye"

The reason it's spawning there is because you're there. You can control which side the ghost spawns on by being on that side at 2:30. But yeah, can require a bit of backtracking if you get stuck in a tight spot like that.

louiedog

Write down the name of them all on little slips of paper and stick them on a dart board. Throw darts at board, play in the order the darts hit! Or pick the shortest time to complete ones and start with those first.

Or just play darts. Those other games will be waiting in the backlog when it becomes stale.

Dec

I lurked for years before I registered, then when I did register I got activated in one day.

I think it was destiny.

Arthea

Oh lemme tell you about Ace Patrol. If you hope for unimaginable depth or in accord with Civ5, then you won't find it there. But it has interesting mechanics and AP can be played in very short sessions, as it is mission based and missions aren't that long. Now about a games itself, these are kind of tactical combat games where you choose your side in a war, train your pilots to be aces by flying many missions without killing them, what's not always easy. As I pointed out earlier, missions are not long and varied, from espionage or defensive to offensive, all types in other words. You have some choice in the matter but not always.
AP is worth trying if you feel you might like it, especially with how cheap they were on gmg several times. Getting for free? Why wouldn't you?

Curious_George

Neo Member
The weird artsy-looking graphics 3D graphics look pretty good. I thought about picking that up but the platforming looked a little floaty. But I will still probably grab it at some point.

Finally got around to finishing off Batman Arkham Origins, such an overall underwhelming game. Felt like a rehash of City but everything just felt worse overall, except maybe the story was a little better I guess

Oh lemme tell you about Ace Patrol. If you hope for unimaginable depth or in accord with Civ5, then you won't find it there. But it has interesting mechanics and AP can be played in very short sessions, as it is mission based and missions aren't that long. Now about a games itself, these are kind of tactical combat games where you choose your side in a war, train your pilots to be aces by flying many missions without killing them, what's not always easy. As I pointed out earlier, missions are not long and varied, from espionage or defensive to offensive, all types in other words. You have some choice in the matter but not always.
AP is worth trying if you feel you might like it, especially with how cheap they were on gmg several times. Getting for free? Why wouldn't you?

Thanks for the response! Got 'em.

Levyne

Banned
Finally got around to finishing off Batman Arkham Origins, such an overall underwhelming game. Felt like a rehash of City but everything just felt worse overall, except maybe the story was a little better I guess

That's how I felt as well, though I do like the combat system of the game in general. To bad the shock gauntlets just kind of allow you to cheese it.

Arthea

I did a big session when I first got it but I kind of feel burned out on it now.

if you played it once, you haven't seen 1/10th of a game and not, I'm not exaggerating, but if you don't feel like playing it again, there is no sense in coming back.
To suggest something else I had to remember what you bought, and I don't remember, of course.

Turfster

When did Early Access titles get pushed out of the New Releases list? I had no idea.

Giantbomb spent an inordinate time complaining about how the new releases list was full of early access titles, so I guess they got what they wanted? *shrug*
I didn't mind them, but people probably complained.

Tenrius

You are done with Steam for now, go read some books or something.

Seriously though, I usually first pick a genre and then a game belonging to the corresponding category (my games are sorted by genre).

Tenrius

What kind of game is Anna? Like Dear Esther? And is it a good game?

No, it's not at all like Dear Esther. It's a wannabe horror adventure game with bad puzzles, ugly (but occasionally stylish) graphics and a nonsensical story. Evidently, it is not by any means a good game. Note that I only played the regular edition sometime around its initial release, so the Extended stuff might have fixed it, but that's doubtful.

Quite a few people seem to have a different opinion though, as my Steam review got only 55% of positive votes: http://steamcommunity.com/id/keldorn/recommended/217690/.

Arthea

not really, Anna is supposed to be an atmospheric p&c, I gather, but it kinda fails in all of it. I may be unfair as I dropped it early in most likely, but I didn't like Anna at all, it felt empty and boring, while Dear Esther felt empty and intriguing. I might give it second chance but that's unlikely.

edited: I need to clarify that I played Extended edition for 82 minutes (just checked)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It's a 3D point and click title that wants to be a horror game but isn't scary in the slightest. The original version was absolute shit with some of the worst puzzles I've seen in recent years and a disjointed narrative that made zero sense no matter what way you sliced it. It also failed to deliver on its promise of an ever-present being that was watching your every move and tailoring scares towards whatever it noticed bugging you the most.

The Enhanced Edition did quite a lot and I have to commend the developers for not just taking what little money they earned and running. They polished up most of the old assets to some degree, added half a dozen new rooms/areas which may not seem like a lot but the OG only had about 4. The puzzles made more sense and were a lot more fun to see to completion, though still borderlined on being "moon logic"-y from time to time. They took great care to better present the plot to the player by way of books found around the house containing good amounts of lore.

There was also a memories system which gave the player a memory for every scare and event that happened during gameplay. By combining matching ones you would remember more details relevant to that set of memories. Unfortunately this hinged on some random events occuring that may simply not have happened during your playthrough, so as good of an idea as it was it has the possibility of just not working out. There were also several showstopping bugs at the time I played that prevented at least two different endings from being obtainable. No idea if they fixed that. Oh yeah and it still couldn't scare a two year old, nor did the AI thing come to any fruition.

In short: only buy super cheap. It's more worth playing through the old version then the extended edition (buying the game gives you both) to see how much changed but it isn't a very good game by any stretch.

Did you like this review? Stay tuned - Continue?9876543210 is coming up within a day or so!

Artofwar420

You are done with Steam for now, go read some books or something.

Seriously though, I usually first pick a genre and then a game belonging to the corresponding category (my games are sorted by genre).

Do you guys know if there's a faster way to give games categories? Or are we stuck doing it one by one?

Lain

I've only heard bad things.

No, it's not at all like Dear Esther. It's a wannabe horror adventure game with bad puzzles, ugly (but occasionally stylish) graphics and a nonsensical story. Evidently, it is not by any means a good game. Note that I only played the regular edition sometime around its initial release, so the Extended stuff might have fixed it, but that's doubtful.

Quite a few people seem to have a different opinion though, as my Steam review got only 55% of positive votes: http://steamcommunity.com/id/keldorn/recommended/217690/.

not really, Anna is supposed to be an atmospheric p&c, I gather, but it kinda fails in all of it. I may be unfair as I dropped it early in most likely, but I didn't like Anna at all, it felt empty and boring, while Dear Esther felt empty and intriguing. I might give it second chance but that's unlikely.

edited: I need to clarify that I played Extended edition for 82 minutes (just checked)

Thank you everyone for the information. I was about to do something stupid. Well, twice stupid, because it turns out I already own the game.

It's a 3D point and click title that wants to be a horror game but isn't scary in the slightest. The original version was absolute shit with some of the worst puzzles I've seen in recent years and a disjointed narrative that made zero sense no matter what way you sliced it. It also failed to deliver on its promise of an ever-present being that was watching your every move and tailoring scares towards whatever it noticed bugging you the most.

The Enhanced Edition did quite a lot and I have to commend the developers for not just taking what little money they earned and running. They polished up most of the old assets to some degree, added half a dozen new rooms/areas which may not seem like a lot but the OG only had about 4. The puzzles made more sense and were a lot more fun to see to completion, though still borderlined on being "moon logic"-y from time to time. They took great care to better present the plot to the player by way of books found around the house containing good amounts of lore.

There was also a memories system which gave the player a memory for every scare and event that happened during gameplay. By combining matching ones you would remember more details relevant to that set of memories. Unfortunately this hinged on some random events occuring that may simply not have happened during your playthrough, so as good of an idea as it was it has the possibility of just not working out. There were also several showstopping bugs at the time I played that prevented at least two different endings from being obtainable. No idea if they fixed that. Oh yeah and it still couldn't scare a two year old, nor did the AI thing come to any fruition.

In short: only buy super cheap. It's more worth playing through the old version then the extended edition (buying the game gives you both) to see how much changed but it isn't a very good game by any stretch.

Did you like this review? Stay tuned - Continue?9876543210 is coming up within a day or so!

Where do I click to give this a thumb up?!

bigace33

Opinions are strange things because I think it's the best Batman game in the series. Some great Boss fights and like you said the story was better than City and Asylum.

Tenrius

Do you guys know if there's a faster way to give games categories? Or are we stuck doing it one by one?

Not that I know of. Enhanced Steam Standalone gives us some hope for the future though, but I'm not sure whether it's possible. I'd certainly love to be able to do that, as doing it one by one is quite a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom