• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Here are my categories on Steam

Beaten
GOG Backlog (Games I added to steam)
Maybe
To Play
Unworthy (Games that suck ass that snuck their way on my profile)
Zrap (Apps added to steam)
Software
GAMES (basically use this as playing now)

Also want to say thanks to GrayWolf323 for Talisman Prologue.
Was a great Bday present to see on steam after work.

Should give Volgarr a try. There are a lot of cool animation cancels you can do that make it conducive to speedruns, but at its heart it's very much a methodical action platformer. It's difficult, but an excellent game and going slow is a-ok.

Really? The videos I have seen make it look like a twitch platformer so I haven't paid it any really attention. However, if you say it can be played methodically then I'll take that over the impressions I've taken from the videos. I'll give it another look, thanks :).

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Do you guys have any preferences on what categories to use to organize your gargantuan-sized library of games?

I do it by genre as well, e.g. Finding Teddy or Back To The Future into the Adventure Story genre category or Duke Nukem 3D into the FPS category. A few divided, such as 2D Platformers and 3D Platformers being separate things.
I also have a Multiplayer category for titles like Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead 2 and others that only exist for multiplay when someone asks to me join them.

However I only put games into categories once I have beaten them/played enough I won't return for a while. That way my "to play/unfinished" list is actually just a big unsorted pile that I want to go through just to get some order on top of wanting to have fun with what I select.

All right, big exam tomorrow, wish me luck SteamGAF!

One more week, and I'm spending two weeks doing nothing but getting drunk and playing goddamn videogames. Not necessarily together, but not necessarily apart.

Good luck and remember to have a good hearty breakfast so your body and mind is full of energy for the exam.

Damn another birthday and dino crisis still isn't on steam. Thanks for ruining my birthday capcom.

Don't give up hope, I'm sure they will release Dino Crisis 3 and ONLY Dino Crisis 3 someday just for us fans of the series. Happy "jump through a window scare" birthday.

So? :p What's the point of being in charge if you can't be a hypocritical bastard?

Oh, I loved Yoshi's Story :D so cute that game.

Give my love to the blobs :).

The blob said hi, but then it ate Blue Ninja and everyone at their school. Very fun platformer, I think it would quite to your liking as it's all about taking your time and allows you to be methodical in trying to get everything minus a few sections here or there. No holding down a button to run either.

Really? The videos I have seen make it look like a twitch platformer so I haven't paid it any really attention. However, if you say it can be played methodically then I'll take that over the impressions I've taken from the videos. I'll give it another look, thanks :).

Oh aye, I play Völgarr quite slowly and never feel punished for it. You can attack enemies from afar or learn the best strategy. The only true "twitch" moments might come when you mess up or before you fully figure out the boss patterns and even then it's not much.
It's no Super House Of Dead Ninjas which requires constant movement and action.

Anyone else think anything that gets below a 50 metascore should be banned from Steam? There is has got to be some way to get rid of the Unearthed's, the Gettysburgs, the War-Z's, the Revelations 2012's and the Rougue Warriors away from Steam.

Unearthed is sitting at 11 now. Clearly Greenlight is a farce at this stage.

Banned? No, not at all as though there exist games that most everyone doesn't like or is just badly designed on every level, there are some that just didn't get good reviews and still find plenty of people who can honestly enjoy them. The Chaos Engine release on Steam for example, an old game emulated and got bad scores, but for those who remembered it from the past or played the old 16-bit consoles and can accept what it is, it's a lot of fun to them. You'll find a good amount of people that ended up enjoying Garshasp: The Monster Slayer even though it wasn't "God Of War" and marked down in comparison to that, and then a few more friendly reviews got it above 50.

Now some sort of feature that allows people to not see anything under a specific metascore (not including those that simply don't have a score from that website) for those that place great value on such a thing ( I don't personally), well that I could see being a handy feature even if it might mean missing out on a gem or two that speaks to a person.

N4cFS7U.png

I really need a better system because the Other category is getting filled but I can't figure out appropriate categories that also start with G or later.

That's a nice system.

'Garbage'.

Diedac

Nice little game

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rush -- MB-88A64EABB58BA963 - Taken by user237. 8 entrants total.

t1388978017z1.png

Not Oil Rush, but Rush

Anyone else think anything that gets below a 50 metascore should be banned from Steam? There is has got to be some way to get rid of the Unearthed's, the Gettysburgs, the War-Z's, the Revelations 2012's and the Rougue Warriors away from Steam.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm sure you enjoy a lot of games I'd score below 50 just because of my personal preferences.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Only if we apply the same rule on neogaf to posts like this that would get a sub 50 metascore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I only use 3 categories:

Playing
Not played
Finished / Done with

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's weird but AO is my favorite of the 3. Better Batman. Better Story. Papa Johns. I even felt they improved on the combat. It just felt more responsive to me.

I can't wait for AO to drop to $5. It's going to be interesting to hear what you all think.

It reminds me of DmC, people just want to dismiss it as it's a different developer. It (AO) wasn't perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'd probably say it's the best of the 3 too.

Do you guys have any preferences on what categories to use to organize your gargantuan-sized library of games?

*Favorites
*Good Games
*Coop Games
*Pastime
*Why Not? (games that are descent, but still just bought without any good reasons but the price)
*Beaten
*Games (betas, F2P games I actually haven't played, double entries for mac games, etc)

Thought about doing categories for genres, but don't have the energy to reorganize because of Steams crappy way of reorganizing categories.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For something as subjective as interactive entertainment utilizing reviews as a means to control distribution would be a terrible idea.

Marvel Heroes has a 57 metacritic, I guess I need to stop enjoying it :( oh well back to good games like Battlefield 4 (81 metacritic)

derFeef

I have enjoyed a lot of <50 metacritic titles, so fuck metacritic.
Actually I am trying to remember that title now but I fail .. posted in the game name thread so I can see if that game is on Steam ... Inferno something (not Dante's Inferno)

jmizzal

Marvel Heroes has a 57 metacritic, I guess I need to stop enjoying it :( oh well back to good games like Battlefield 4 (81 metacritic)

This right here, Battlefield 4 is a mess but has a 81, so metacritic isnt the be all, most of it are reviewers sucking up to big publishers

It reminds me of DmC, people just want to dismiss it as it's a different developer. It wasn't perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'd probably say it's the best of the 3 too.

People don't dismiss DmC just because it's from a different developer. People dismiss DmC because of a ton of other reasons, which also include the development history of said developer.

For a second there, I thought you were implying that DmC was better than DMC, DMC3, and DMC4... then I realized you were only talking about AO and sighed a breath of relief. ;)

I haven't played AO yet, but from what I hear it just lacks the polish of the previous games. I have it on my "games to play soon" list. I'm hoping it's good, cause it has Slade in it. And after Injustice, I'm really wanting a game that has Deathstroke and isn't a letdown. :D

Actually I am trying to remember that title now but I fail .. posted in the game name thread so I can see if that game is on Steam ... Inferno something (not Dante's Inferno)

Little Inferno has been an indie being given away a lot lately, I think.

Nope.

People have to take the responsibility to research their purchases themselves. Why are people buying games like these? Check the forums, metacritic and google in genreal before buying unknown games from unknown developers.

But we do need a way to completely hide games in our libraries.

mmitt

mine looks like this:
fDWH5Ar.jpg

obviously "Backlog" is the category with the most entries :)
High = games I'm currently playing
Mid = Games like Civilization which I may end up playing again once in a while
Low = Duplicates, stuff like HL Deathmatch, or straight up duds I got via bundles

(numbers are there in case I want to add some inbetween, since steam category management is horrible)

does anybody know of a site which combines your steam library with howlongtobeat?
I'd really like a list of my games sorted by avg. completion time.

koolaroo

Wow little inferno only has a 68? That game was pretty awesome but a lot of reviews seem to entirely miss the point. They see the game as nothing more than " ha ha look how dumb mobile games are" which was only one of the points the game was trying to make.
And yet gone home somehow managed to get a 86 ugh.

Where should I put the tomb raider games?

ChKLOoB.png

Depends on your definition of Action/Adventure.

If you have things in Adventure that aren't just like point and click type games (a la TWD, etc.) then that probably fits... or Action (if that's not just DMC3/DMC4/DmC/MGR/etc.)

KenOD

Nono, it's a 3rd person action game, like 5 years old...

Alone In The Dark: Inferno? Came out in 2008 Though it switches between first person and third person.

Edit: Ah, never mind then. I've never even heard of Infernal.

Where should I put the tomb raider games?[/IMG]

Many will put it in with action, but all the early ones (that I played), I consider more to be platformers. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/187601/untold_riches_the_intricate_.php?print=1
The most recent one being an action on your list, on mine it's under Third Person Shooters.

PhaZZe

Banned
Beaten (Games 100%)
Infinite (Games lke Audiosurf, FTL, KOF, etc)
Multiplayer (Games i only play online, L4D2, Dota 2, TF2, CoD2)
Unbeaten (Games im playing or i dont have 100%)

Seagoon

I hate digging through genres all the time so I simplified games down to:

Favorites (Games I'm playing right now, or intend to play in the very near future)
Uninstalled (Games I've completed, games I'll never play or will never play again)
Games (Effectively my backlog)

I find it refreshing to have a mostly flat list and it made me look at the games I probably never tackle.

KenOD

Dig through games? I guess this is the first time I ever thought about the idea others might not use the search function in Library.

denx

My only category on Steam is "I'm not even bothering with categories".

Seriously, I'm lazy and I can't be assed to keep my games tidily ordered, which is why I also don't use backloggery and don't participate in the backlog blitz thread since I can't be bothered to keep tallies of my games, the stuff I've completed, etc.

Besides, I've become used to my library looking like a clusterfuck. I actually sort of like it.

:)

Wow little inferno only has a 68? That game was pretty awesome but a lot of reviews seem to entirely miss the point. They see the game as nothing more than " ha ha look how dumb mobile games are" which was only one of the points the game was trying to make.
And yet gone home somehow managed to get a 86 ugh.

Mind if I ask why you thought it was awesome? I'm not challenging your opinion on the game but I am curious, as my experience of the game was clearly not congruous with yours sadly.

Seagoon

Dig through games? I guess this is the first time I ever thought about the idea others might not use the search function in Library.
I do use the search function in desktop mode, but I find myself using BPM more and more so reducing genres seems to work best in my scenario

Beaten (Games 100%)
Infinite (Games lke Audiosurf, FTL, KOF, etc)
Multiplayer (Games i only play online, L4D2, Dota 2, TF2, CoD2)
Unbeaten (Games im playing or i dont have 100%)

This is probably a good way of doing it. easier to encourage yourself to dive into a genre you might not be that into

So they've added some stuff to Teleglitch. The levels are more randomised, you now have the option to randomise your starting gear, there's a higher resolution to choose, new achievements specific to reaching certain areas of the game, and some DLC that includes a 5 song soundtrack and some new starting weapons. Kinda lame the soundtrack isn't included in the base game but I like Teleglitch enough that I bought it. I was already in the middle of a game so I guess the soundtrack won't be active until I start a new game or maybe it'll just play on the boss encounters. There's only 5 songs. Guess I'll find out soon, about to hit the Red Commander mini-boss encounter soon.

If you do buy the soundtrack you can find the music files in commonapps > TeleglitchDME > Soundtrack. Listening to the tunes right now, they're actually kinda badass.

Dr Dogg

Since I flit from Win to Mac Steam on a regular basis I'm wary of using too many categories as it still has a tendency to not close down properly and reset everything back to bloody default. If I had 50 categories and had to start again every time hat happened I'd be pretty pissed. Does depressurizer still do the business?

oipic

All right, big exam tomorrow, wish me luck SteamGAF!

One more week, and I'm spending two weeks doing nothing but getting drunk and playing goddamn videogames. Not neccesarily together, but not neccesarily apart.

Best of luck, Ninja! Hope all goes well.

I look forward to reading of your gaming exploits in the coming weeks - drunk-dialling SteamGAF is compulsory. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom