• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileS

Remember Me is dope. I hope people give it a shot once it's cheaper.

Honestly if I had seen some of those gif's here and screens from the PC shot thread I would have jumped on the sale last week. Kind of bummed I didn't. Might not see it go on sale again that cheap until summer.

Why? I found them to be pretty reliable.

What's wrong with GMG, or am I missing a GAF funny here?[/SPOILER]

Sorry for the late reply; busy with XCOM.

The Golden Joystick debacle really soured me on them. Not because I didn't get my copy of Mafia 2 as I could have got that if I had done what was required. It was the lack of transparency and deceptiveness [whether intentional or not] involved in the process i.e. one had to set up an account at another site.

Frankly I no longer trust them and choose not to use them any longer.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

For me it was like 1 or 1 1/2 years of reading before I registered an account, than 3 months of waiting and them some time reading without posting even though I could have :D

Sounds like me :) although my lurking without registering was probably 2-3 years. I only broke down and registered in the end as I just couldn't stand the vile animated avatars anymore. Of course, not long after I registered these were made verboten :) but I still lurked for quite awhile as I had an even more pressing issue, which thankfully no longer applies.

Hm, I've always found the complaints about the Spelunky ghost peculiar. It's an important part of the game's design, and it fits perfectly both thematically and in the context of the gameplay. The ghost is there to tell you to hurry the hell up, there's no time for dawdling; after all, you're raiding a dungeon full of unknown dangers. Like yeah, when I first ran into the ghost it was surprising/scary, but all it really does is help you pick up the pace and keep the game interesting. It shouldn't be an issue at all unless you're the type of person that doesn't ever use the run button in platformers. And, later on when you get better, you realize the Ghost is slow as hell and not even a real threat as long as you plan your moves ahead, so you've now flipped the switch and a big, unkillable, INSTADEATH monstrosity is now a joke and that's an amazing feeling; better yet, you can even exploit him to your own advantage when you're proficient at the game.

Hi! :)

I have played no end of 2D Mario platformers yet every single time I forget that the game is designed to be played with the run button pressed down to test the player's reflexes and speed of thought. It is an arcade game at its heart afterall. Unfortunately, my natural bent is to take things methodically so I pretty much suck [and not in a good way] at 2D Mario games as a result and have a love/hate relationship with them. One of these days I will sit down and force myself to play them 'properly' until I get it :/.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thomas Was Alone proves he is not!

Oh Danny Wallace has a face you want to slap, everytime I see him on TV I want to throw a brick at him. His brother Greg also comes across as a bit of an arse. (he's a co host on Masterchef over in the UK)

Nabs

Main reason why I'm holding off.

It's weird but AO is my favorite of the 3. Better Batman. Better Story. Papa Johns. I even felt they improved on the combat. It just felt more responsive to me.

I can't wait for AO to drop to $5. It's going to be interesting to hear what you all think.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's weird but AO is my favorite of the 3. Better Batman. Better Story. Papa Johns. I even felt they improved on the combat. It just felt more responsive to me.

I can't wait for AO to drop to $5. It's going to be interesting to hear what you all think.
Angry bats is best bats.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

WB
2UG4D.gif

mannerbot

I have played no end of 2D Mario platformers yet every single time I forget that the game is designed to be played with the run button pressed down to test the player's reflexes and speed of thought. It is an arcade game at its heart afterall. Unfortunately, my natural bent is to take things methodically so I pretty much suck [and not in a good way] at 2D Mario games as a result and have a love/hate relationship with them. One of these days I will sit down and force myself to play them 'properly' until I get it :/.

Hah, it'd be painful to watch you play. HURRY UP MAN JUST GO

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Sorry for the late reply; busy with XCOM.

Oh sure, put your soldiers on notice at the XCOM headquarters for having GAF minimised, but once you are alone in the office it's straight back to us. :)

My girlfriend is the same way. The closest she can come to the formula is Super Princess Peach and the N64 Yoshi game, beyond that it's a no go because she simply doesn't want to run. Luckily games like Dizzy, Giani Sisters, Kirby, Toki Toki, playing as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3, and the like keep her happy.

Now because you made me think about platformers, I'm going to play Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack.

I've recieved every Arkham game to date for free. I am waiting to complete the trilogy. :p

Dr Dogg

Oh Danny Wallace has a face you want to slap, everytime I see him on TV I want to throw a brick at him. His brother Greg also comes across as a bit of an arse. (he's a co host on Masterchef over in the UK)

Hahaha since when did they become related? Ones a cockney ex green grocer the other was born in Scotland, grew up in the midlands and didn't move to London until his 20's.

Danny was alright in the Dave Gorman Experience and I quite liked his How To Start Your Own Country series though he's a compete different as Sean in the Assassin's Creed games. Might be playing up to that supposedly snarky Brit persona were all meant to have? I thought he was great in Thomas Was Alone. Really gave all the blocks/programs a real sense of personality.

Agreed on Gregg though. That guy rubs me up the wrong way something chronic.

Turfster

Do you guys have any preferences on what categories to use to organize your gargantuan-sized library of games?

I basically have "shit I will never play", which includes the sports games I got from publisher packs and separate mac versions from before steamplay, "completed", "adventure games" and the rest.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha since when did they become related? Ones a cockney ex green grocer the other was born in Scotland, grew up in the midlands and didn't move to London until his 20's.

Danny was alright in the Dave Gorman Experience and I quite liked his How To Start Your Own Country series though he's a compete different as Sean in the Assassin's Creed games. Might be playing up to that supposedly snarky Brit persona were all meant to have? I thought he was great in Thomas Was Alone. Really gave all the blocks/programs a real sense of personality.

Agreed on Gregg though. That guy rubs me up the wrong way something chronic.

They're not related as far as I know, they're just both Wallaces I find annoying :p

Oh he's definitely playing up the Sean role in the AC games, I don't hate the guy or anything. He just has a tv personality that makes me want to really fucking slap him.

Do you guys have any preferences on what categories to use to organize your gargantuan-sized library of games?

My system:

Keep arounds - Games I always come back to like CS:Go, Civ 5 etc
Played - Games I have played
Junk - Stuff that was rubbish or clogging up library

Unlikely to Play - Games I think I'll never play (indie bundle extras etc)
Maybe One Day - Games I might play one day
Want to Play - Current selection of games.

When I get a new game, I either install it and place it into want to play (and play it) or put it into the other main categories.

It works pretty well and keeps me moving through the games.

My categories are:
- In progress: here I put SP and MP games that I'm playing.
- Replayable: the category for games that I've finished but that I'm waiting for DLC's or additional content that is going to be released in the future (for example, Shadowrun Returns).
- (Indie) bucket: games that I don't want to try or play. Usually from Humble Bundles.
- Depressing backlog: games that I want to try in the near future.
Like 150 :(

Seems like what I was looking for. Any trouble making it work?

Will look at this one too.

This was regarding faster categorization of games in Steam btw :D

Depressurizer will let you autoload the steam categories... but they're generally very wrong, IMO. Everything is pretty much Action. You can also have it load all the descriptions, but I found that's no use either. I don't want a category that's Action, Indie, RPG.

Every once in awhile, depressurizer would choke on me for some reason -- but for the most part, it's good for categorizing chunks of games. I have a large part of my library done thanks to it.

I'm going to have to look into the other one too.
If you check them both out, please let me know what you prefer, as maybe it will expedite my checking out the other software if you recommend it over depressurizer.

Colin.

I always thought when that happens, it's just cheaper in some other currency that they're listing in.

It's first come first serve, but if you're listing in euros or pounds, everyone else's currency is weaker and sneaks in before you because everything gets downconverted to dollars. You're basically at the mercy of the exchange rate.

Ahh sure, this makes sense. It was just a thought that came to mind, but thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I have to be the guy that undercuts by a penny each time a new competitor is on top, damn exchange rates.

Just finished off Gunpoint, basically echoing what I said before when I say that it is a lot of fun. The story is pretty thin and uninteresting to me, but the gameplay more than made up for it. I enjoy puzzle games that allows for you to solve it in a variety of different ways. It makes it feel less linear. I may do some achievement clean up on it, to add another perfect game. Highly recommend it.

FloatOn

How has everyone's weekend been by the way?

pretty damn good. ate lebanese and watched the secret life of walter mitty last night with the wife.

going to a fancy thai place in about 1.5 hours to celebrate a friends engagement.

lots of fallout 3 time. I'm now further along than when I played it back on 360. Started Guacamelee which is a ton of fun and a perfect companion game (it cheered me up just when fallout 3 was starting to get me down).

yourself?

Did they ever happen to fix that issue where the categories would randomly disappear from Steam? I thought about organizing my titles but if that's still the case. You can forget about that.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
So having so many people connected on steam (like today) does that affect the game download speed?

I guess so, when the sale was on I had atrocious download speeds, but most of the time you shouldn't have any problem, what server are you using?

ModBot said:
Instructions for crimsonheadGCN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Hexagon -- MB-AD2AC983F96210B4 - Taken by Shalashaska
The Ship -- MB-7B2B452830C439CA - Taken by Nzyme32

Did they ever happen to fix that issue where the categories would randomly disappear from Steam? I thought about organizing my titles but if that's still the case. You can forget about that.

I haven't had it happen to me since I've started using categories... not sure what the triggers on it are or if it's gone -- it should be easy to fix with some of the linked software, if it were to happen.

I try to do it by genre (first person shooter, third person shooter, stealth, action, action rpg, jrpg, srpg, strategy, adventure, platformer), but then you get games that sort of... don't fit... anywhere (hotline miami, guacamelee, I'm looking at you both!).
Before this, I had it done by franchise and genre, where games that had 3 or more entires in my library would get their own category, but this was too many categories... I've left some of the major games that sort of fit into multiple categories or have various genres in the franchise categories (say Fallout, Tomb Raider, Bioshock).

Previously, I had a "Finished" category for games I'd finished in some form (even on consoles) as well as a "GFWL" category to indicate which games would tie to my x360 gamerscore.

I guess so, when the sale was on I had atrocious download speeds, but most of the time you shouldn't have any problem, what server are you using?

The nearest server download location is México, that's the one I'm using, I was downloading the Castle of Illusion and the download speed was fluctuating from 2.6MB to 400kbs, after 60%, the download speed was a bit stable (1.8mb to 2.8mb)

Nabs

I have two categories up top that help keep track of the games I am currently trying to play and the multiplayer games I play on a regular basis. I can't keep track of all the other shit on my account.

All right, big exam tomorrow, wish me luck SteamGAF!

One more week, and I'm spending two weeks doing nothing but getting drunk and playing goddamn videogames. Not neccesarily together, but not neccesarily apart.

Card Boy

Banned
Anyone else think anything that gets below a 50 metascore should be banned from Steam? There is has got to be some way to get rid of the Unearthed's, the Gettysburgs, the War-Z's, the Revelations 2012's and the Rougue Warriors away from Steam.

Unearthed is sitting at 11 now. Clearly Greenlight is a farce at this stage.

Hah, it'd be painful to watch you play. HURRY UP MAN JUST GO

Not as painful as actually playing like that :/. The awful thing is that I can really appreciate the game and everything involved in its design but being so poor at them is very frustrating :(. I've always got on much better with the 3D Mario games because I can at least tackle them methodically and at my own pace 99% of the time. Super Mario 3D Land was the exception to the rule for me. The level time limit did give me problems but I seemed to 'get it' better with that game than 2D Mario platformers for some reason. I am moist for Mario 3D World but that will have to wait. Steam Backlog will not be ignored!

Oh sure, put your soldiers on notice at the XCOM headquarters for having GAF minimised, but once you are alone in the office it's straight back to us. :)

My girlfriend is the same way. The closest she can come to the formula is Super Princess Peach and the N64 Yoshi game, beyond that it's a no go because she simply doesn't want to run. Luckily games like Dizzy, Giani Sisters, Kirby, Toki Toki, playing as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3, and the like keep her happy.

Now because you made me think about platformers, I'm going to play Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack.

So? :p What's the point of being in charge if you can't be a hypocritical bastard?

Oh, I loved Yoshi's Story :D so cute that game.

Give my love to the blobs :).

Well it's not happened to me recently so perhaps?

I have two categories up top that help keep track of the games I am currently trying to play and the multiplayer games I play on a regular basis. I can't keep track of all the other shit on my account.

See, I just add a game to Favorites while I'm playing it. If I'm 100% done with it, it gets pulled out of favorites and uninstalled.

Dust was in favorites. I got 100%, it's now back in ARPG and uninstalled.
Bastion will probably meet the same fate if I can get the rest of the achievements in short order.

Anyone else think anything that gets below a 50 metascore should be banned from Steam? There is has got to be some way to get rid of the Unearthed's, the Gettysburgs, the War-Z's, the Revelations 2012's and the Rougue Warriors away from Steam.

Unearthed is sitting at 11 now. Clearly Greenlight is a farce at this stage.

there's a lot of garbage on greenlight I agree but there's a few gems in there although it's more like finding a needle in a haystack. The whole program needs to be overhauled if you ask me but i'm sure valve doesn't really care too much with all the money they're bringing in from the store in general.

mannerbot

Not as painful as actually playing like that :/. The awful thing is that I can really appreciate the game and everything involved in its design but being so poor at them is very frustrating :(. I've always got on much better with the 3D Mario games because I can at least tackle them methodically and at my own pace 99% of the time. Super Mario 3D Land was the exception to the rule for me. The level time limit did give me problems but I seemed to 'get it' better with that game than 2D Mario platformers for some reason. I am moist for Mario 3D World but that will have to wait. Steam Backlog will not be ignored!

Should give Volgarr a try. There are a lot of cool animation cancels you can do that make it conducive to speedruns, but at its heart it's very much a methodical action platformer. It's difficult, but an excellent game and going slow is a-ok.

Dr Dogg

They're not related as far as I know, they're just both Wallaces I find annoying :p

Oh he's definitely playing up the Sean role in the AC games, I don't hate the guy or anything. He just has a tv personality that makes me want to really fucking slap him.

Hahaha fair enough. Can't argue with that.

MRORANGE

Humble Bundle X better live up to the hype next week...

All right, big exam tomorrow, wish me luck SteamGAF!

One more week, and I'm spending two weeks doing nothing but getting drunk and playing goddamn videogames. Not neccesarily together, but not neccesarily apart.

Good luck!

KarmaCow

N4cFS7U.png

I really need a better system because the Other category is getting filled but I can't figure out appropriate categories that also start with G or later.

I use:

• A - Current (10 or so Games I'm currently playing)
  • Action
  • Adventure
  • Arkanoid Clones (Shatter really)
  • Board and Card Games
  • Fighting Games
  • MMO
  • MOBA
  • Multiplayer Only (Mostly Indie games with like 5 people playing at the same time max)
  • Other (Indie Game the Movie)
  • Pinball
  • Platform
  • Puzzle
  • Racing
  • RPG
  • Shmup
  • Shooter
  • Simulation
  • Sports
  • Strategy
  • Tower Defence
  • Twin Stick
  • Z - Finished
  • ZZ - Finished 100%
  • ZZZ - Junk (Superseded Stuff Like Batman AC, Betas etc...)
  • ZZZZ - Terrible
  • ZZZZZ - Demos and Downloaded Free Weekend

Obviously the A's and the Z's are to force them to the top and bottom of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom